• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your Top Ten Animes.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Current TOP 10 (really top dozen) Anime

0! Code Geass
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
2. Fate/Zero
3. Aria
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
5. Ashita no Joe
6. Death Note (till ep 26 20:33)
7. Steins;Gate
8. NANA
9. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
10. Neon Genesis Evangelion/Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Aria is an anime that can make me cry tears of joy and soothe my very soul. Origination in particular is the single greatest MyAnimeList entry I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Current TOP 10 (really top dozen) Anime

0. Code Geass
1. Fate/Zero
2. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
3. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
4. Aria
5. Ashita no Joe
7. Steins;Gate
8. NANA
9. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
10. Neon Genesis Evangelion/Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Aria is an anime that can make me cry tears of joy and soothe my very soul. Origination in particular is the single greatest MyAnimeList entry I’ve ever seen.
Aria? Aria?! You are the last person I'd expect to watch something like Aria.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I don't think I've ever done a top 20, so here it is for the first time:

0. Gintama
1. Code Geass
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Steins;Gate
4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
5. Death Note
6. Ashita no Joe
7. Clannad After Story
8. Fate/Zero
9. Neon Genesis Evangelion
10. Kaguya-sama
11. Monster
12. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
13. Attack on Titan
14. Haikyuu
15. Vinland Saga
16. Konosuba
17. Gurren Lagann
18. Monogatari
19. March Comes in like a Lion
20. Psycho Pass

I finished AnJ S2 recently and the final stretch of 8 episodes alone was worthy to push the series all the way to where it is.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
0. FullMetal Alchemist *
1. One Piece
2. Steins;Gate
3. Hunter x Hunter
4. Fate series (Zero & Unlimited Blade Works)
5. Monster
6. Code Geass
7. Death Note (1-25, goes downhill 26-37)
8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
10. Attack on Titan

* includes watching FMA 03 1-25 (skipping 4 and 10) and watching 10-64 of Brotherhood. I believe that is the best way of watching FullMetal Alchemist.

Seriously, One Piece has been amazing and I never, in a million years, expected to care about the characters, especially Monkey D. Luffy so much. What a great series and yeah, it is an investment to watch but Water 7/Enies Lobby and Marineford ate definitely worth it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Guess it's now time for me to jump in for an updated list, so here's my Top 20 anime list orderwise alongside some honourable mentions, just like before (note that while I'm ranking these anime according to my preferences, I still do love all these anime & the difference between them in my preference is minimal, with only a few minor factors deciding the order):

1) FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
(Still has stayed at my #1 after all these days)

2) Attack On Titan
(If the final season can adopt the manga content to its full potential then this definitely has a strong chance of making my #1, since the manga content has absolute masterpiece material. But with Wit Studio's blessing gone & Studio Mappa doing the final season, my hopes for that are dwindling NGL)

3) Hunter x Hunter (2011)

4) Code Geass: Lelouch Of The Rebellion

5) My Hero Academia

(I know that I'm quite biased putting this so high especially after that 4th season, but this show was really influential/helpful in getting me into mainstream anime & finding my type of preference, so it's very meaningful to me)

6) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

7) Fate series (Fate/Zero + Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works)

8) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba

9) Vinland Saga

10) Made In Abyss

11) Dr. Stone

12) Kill La Kill

13) Akame Ga Kill!

(I know that it's quite natural for people to be surprised to see this on my list since this anime kinda has a pretty infamous reputation, but I love it completely ironically. I think this show did a lot of things noticeably different from many other battle-shounen which made it stand out for me, plus several other elements of this show resonated with my taste really well. I also haven't read the manga which is said to have better conclusion, which is perhaps the reason I appreciate it this much)

14) Magi series (Magi: Adventure Of Sinbad + Magi: The Labyrinth Of Magic + Magi: The Kingdom Of Magic)

15) Katanagatari

(One of the new additions to my list and wow, this was just amazing. Does the Monogatari concept & style to perfection. The dialogues are absorbing, the sheer thematic depth is stunning, the BGM suits the setting/style perfectly making the show more captivating as a whole & the action parts are played out in a thoroughly spanned out & compelling fashion. This is a underwatched gem, check this out if you really wanna see a better version of the Monogatari series)

16) Assassination Classroom

17) Mob Psycho 100

18) Death Note

19) Beastars

(Another one of the new additions to my list and this is a very unique anime, which utilizes an unique concept & setting of the animal kingdom within a civilized society masterfully in a very thought provoking fashion. Delves deeply into predator-prey psychology & the conflicts between their actual thoughts and natural instincts)

20) Yona Of The Dawn

Anime that have a very strong chance of making my list in the future:

Naruto
(Have finally finished the 1st series of it and all I can say is that this series just keep surpassing my expectations. Because I swear, no long-running battle-shounen had managed to get me this much invested on such a consistent basis ever since I watched Hunter x Hunter. The overall world, setting, concept amd characters has so much heart & soul poured into it that it has managed to really grow on me, to such an extent where none of the series' flaws can effect my enjoyment of it now. I would easily put it pretty high on my above Top 20 list, but I wanna finish Shippuden before I pass my overall judgement on it. I watched the first two episodes of Shippuden after finishing the 1st series, but decided to put it on hold to start some other anime. It was a hard decision to make when I'm this much invested into the series, but this series is still too lengthy & I can't spend 3-4 months watching only one anime as there are some other series I wanna focus on. But I'll get back to it alright :) )

Ashita No Joe
(Haven't continued it yet since I watched the first 10 eps of it long ago, but this definitely looks like masterpiece material, gotta get back to it when I find time)

Re:Zero - Starting Life In Another World
(Just started this recently, 4 eps in & this is damn amazing, can't wait to watch more)

Now finally, some honourable mentions

The Promised Neverland

One Outs

Psycho-Pass

Food Wars! Shokugeki No Soma

Baccano!

Noragami

KonoSuba: God's Blessing On This Wonderful World!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

The Beheading Cycle

Tower Of God

That's basically it for now, see you next time when I have more to update! :)

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Top 10:
1. Major
2. Major 2nd (currently watching season 2)
3. Sailor Moon
4. Steins Gate
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
6. Chihayafuru
7. Code Geass
8. Sailor Moon Crystal (currently watching)
9. Fullmetal Alchemist
10. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Honorable mentions:
Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Dragonball Super
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gundam Wing
Konosuba
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh season 0
Magia Records
Cross game
Steins Gate 0

Sailor Moon Crystal has actually gotten pretty interesting and I'm 11 episodes in so far.

Last edited:

Staraptor398

1. Gintama
2. One Piece
3. Attack on Titan
4. Hunter X Hunter
5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
6.Bleach
7.Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion
8.Death Note
9.Assassination Classroom
10. Naruto + Naruto Shippuden

I haven't watched a lot of anime , so forgive me if my list seems shitty.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
1. Gintama
2. One Piece
3. Attack on Titan
4. Hunter X Hunter
5. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
6.Bleach
7.Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion
8.Death Note
9.Assassination Classroom
10. Naruto + Naruto Shippuden

I haven't watched a lot of anime , so forgive me if my list seems shitty.
Nah, your list is fine, but you should consider branching out beyond shonen.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Update:

1. Mob Psycho 100
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Death Note
5. A Silent Voice
6. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
7. Clannad: AfterStory
8. Oregairu
9. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
10. Steins;Gate

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Update time.

0! FullMetal Alchemist *
1. Fate series (well, mainly zero)
2. Monster
3. One Piece
4. Hunter x Hunter
5. Steins;Gate
6. Code Geass
7. Neon Genesis Evangelion
8. Madoka Magica
9. Death Note
10. Attack on Titan

I also follow the same order that @xEryChan does when it comes to FullMetal Alchemist.

One Piece has been continuously blowing my mind. The Water 7 saga was absolutely incredible and left me in a state of shock so many times. I could recommend this series anymore. I’m really looking forward to the Summit Wat saga even more now.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Well, I finished the first half of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann so I figured I’d give an updated list of my favorite animes. I could only give 17 though so sorry. Also, keep in mind this is only including the first half of Gurren Lagann, not the second so it is likely that this list could change after finishing the second half.

I am also not including One Piece on this list since I’ve made the switch to the manga. If I did, it would be an automatic #1.

1. Steins;Gate
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Fate series (Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works)
4. FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
5. Monster
6. Code Geass
7. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
8. Neon Genesis Evangelion
9. Clannad After Story
10. Death Note
11. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
12. Attack on Titan
13. Konosuba
14. Sailor Moin Crystal
15. Yona of the Dawn
16. Fruits Baskets
17. My Hero Academia

I have every intention of finishing the series tomorrow after work since it’s a short day tomorrow

Genaller

Silver Soul
Current TOP 20 Anime

0. Gintama

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
2. Code Geass
3. Fate/Zero

4. Aria

5. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal

7. Ashita no Joe
8. Steins;Gate

9. NANA
10. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
11. Neon Genesis Evangelion
12. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
13. Bloom Into You
14. Kono Oto Tomare

15. Skip Beat
16. Monster
17. Chihayafuru
18. Psycho Pass
19. Vinland Saga
20. Rose of Versailles

Honorable Mentions: Wolf Children, Nodame Cantabile, March Comes In like a Lion and the Monogatari series.

In a nutshell Gintama is GOAT! I also added spaces as a sort of tiering system (meaning anime not separated by a space are more or less on par in my eyes).

xEryChan

Demon Child
Time for an updated list.

1. FullMetal Alchemist (combined)
2. Steins;Gate
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Fate/Zero
5. Code Geass
6. Monster
7. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
10. Death Note
11. Clannad After Story
12. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
13. Attack on Titan
14. Konosuba
15. Sailor Moon Crystal
16. Yona of the Dawn
17. Air
18. My Hero Academia

I absolutely loved Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann so, naturally, it made its way onto my list. Also, still not including One Piece so I’m reading the manga instead of watching the anime.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
No updates? :<

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. Monster
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. Code Geass
5. Death Note
6. Monogatari Series
7. A Silent Voice
8. Clannad: AfterStory
9. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
10. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
11. Parasyte -the maxim-
12. Houseki no Kuni
13. Neon Genesis Evangelion
14. Hyouka
15. Fate/Zero

PaulaWagner

1. Pokemon
2. Inuyasha
3. Dragonball/Z/GT
4. SAO online
5. Sailor Moon
6. Yu-Gi-Oh
7.Gundam SEED
8.Shaman KIng
9.Goblin Slayer
10.Code Gyas

NPC

sleep researcher
I guess I'll pitch in. These fifteen are in no particular order, other than alphabetical...

Blue Submarine No. 6

This short OVA series seems to have picked up popularity in the past couple years after languishing in obscurity since its release. Partially this is because it arrived at an awkward time for anime, when cel animation was shifting to digital and CG wasn't up to the task of bridging that gap, so basically there's a lot of dated computer animation in this one. But it can't obscure the fantastic creature designs and somber environmental story, which becomes more prescient with every passing year. More than lecturing its audience about the dangers of unrestricted growth and looming industrial collapse, it focuses over all things on the sanctity of life, and the crucial importance of coexistence.

Crayon Shin-chan Movies

A lot of people may remember the Shin-chan TV show, which was localized and ran on Western networks during the 2000s. It was a hilarious, occasionally raunchy, squiggly-line comedy about a precocious preschooler's misadventures. And that's fine. But I'm here to tell you that the Shin-chan movies--of which there are over ten, and counting--are on a totally different level. With much more ambitious stories and animation budgets, they're still hilarious and irreverent, yes, but also heartfelt mediations on childhood, parenthood, growing up middle-class, and enjoying the little moments in life. They deserve to be watched as a child and rewatched as an adult or parent.

Dragon Ball

So I could never get into DBZ, despite being a kid during the absolute height of its popularity. I couldn't stand the endlessly dragged-on battles, the obsession with power-level comparisons, and the shameless recycling of animations. That's why discovering that the original Dragon Ball series is notably different was so delightful. All the "useless" characters who mostly stand around and commentate Goku's fights in DBZ have actual roles here, the tone is much more lighthearted and adventurous, and Toriyama's utterly unique world--a place where space tech and fantasy martial arts coexist--is not yet dominated by multi-dozen episode fighting tournaments. An absolute treat.

Future Boy Conan

There are a lot of Miyazaki productions I could put here, from Kiki's Delivery Service to Spirited Away to Heidi, but Future Boy Conan holds a special place in my heart. This is the first full-bodied realization of Miyazaki's two conflicting artistic obsessions: anti-war messages and grand, dazzling displays of human engineering. The world of Conan is a land of endless adventure and unbridled imagination down to every detail, and it's such an embarrassment of riches in terms of animation techniques, environmental/mechanical designs, and direction. This is like the Platonic ideal of the adventure serial you'd be obsessed with as a child, then fondly return to throughout your adulthood.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

It's very hard to explain this OVA series, even though it probably has the most immediate appeal of the all the animes listed here. It's basically a sci-fantasy crossover miniseries featuring characters from various works by Mitsuteru Yokoyama, including star detectives, medieval Chinese martial artists, mad scientists, spell-casting monks, and--of course--giant robots. It's a dazzling action spectacle with what are hands-down the best action sequences I've ever seen in anime, from a time when studios could have the luxury of spending upwards of a year working on the next episode of a series. And it even has something to say about our world, even if it fumbles the message a bit.

Haibane Renmei

The late nineties/early 2000s saw a minor explosion of taciturn, philosophically-minded anime series like Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Kino's Journey, the YKK OVA, .hack//SIGN and others, but none have been as special to me as Haibane Renmei. An ambigious slice-of-life fantasy about a group of angel-winged girls living in a sleepy, idyllic village (are they dead? In Purgatory?), it's a gently heartrending depiction of a world that could be, but isn't. It feels like a story about forgiveness and taking life one day at a time, appreciating the simple things and so on. But it's also an almost-liturgical exploration of what is our purpose on Earth and what should we do with the time we're given.

Kare Kano aka His and Her Circumstances

Kare Kano was given a raw deal. After 16-or-so episodes directed by none other than Hideaki Anno of Evangelion fame, the mangaka stepped in because she didn't like the direction the show was going in. Anno was sacked, the new director ruined the show in record time, and the anime never got a second season or satisfying conclusion. But what remains is still one of the most poignant and down-to-earth shoujo series I've ever seen, while also being riotously funny and chock-full of delightful supporting characters. More than anything else, though, the central couple of Kare Kano stands out, for feeling so shockingly human and real, while also reveling in anime's stylistic excess.

Kemonozume

Masaaki Yuasa is one of the most distinctive auteurs working in anime today, and I really liked his work with Devilman, The Night Is Short, and others. But sometimes I feel like he gets caught up in the trademark "weirdness" of his directorial style when, ultimately, most of his works have very straightforward existentialist messages: love and dreams and worth fighting for, even in the face of reality. Ironically, Kemonozume is one of Yuasa's weirdest, most visually off-putting, and also most depraved productions, but also arguably the most honest, as a rogue's gallery of animators and a ridiculous procession of contrived plot points fail to obscure what is ultimately a very screwed-up love story.

Lupin III TV Specials

I'm kind of cheating, but it's very hard to pick one Lupin series to represent the franchise. Part 2 is a classic of serialized cartoons, Part 5 was a welcome return to form, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is one of the most aesthetically rich anime series I've ever seen... to say nothing of the movies like Castle of Cagliostro. But I think the yearly TV specials, which have aired in Japan since the late eighties, are the most well-rounded representation of Lupin the gentleman thief, the hardened international criminal, the Bugs Bunny expy, the comical lothario, etc. Just a series of consistently great action capers brimming with imagination, and memorable characters.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Thanks to the Gundam franchise's massive, inter-generational popularity, one can sometimes lose sight of the fact that it was intended as an anti-war series from the beginning, dramatizing the meaningless horrors of armed conflict with a shiny new coat of paint for the sci-fi age. In that sense I think Victory Gundam is the most successful entry in the series: it's certainly tragic, though not as insanely oppressive as something like Space Runaway Ideon. It is not the most consistent Gundam series out there or even necessarily the best, and it's not a good place for people looking to get into the franchise either, but I found it to be the most resonant of the ones I've seen.

Patlabor 1 + 2 Movies

Once again I am cheating, but the first two Patlabor movies stand so tall above the TV adaptation that it's impossible not to give them the nod, and they have a very episodic quality about them anyway. While the TV series is a fun workplace comedy/buddy cop show, the first movie is an incredible mecha conspiracy thriller with a breathtaking third act, and the second movie is hands-down one of the best anime productions ever, the full realization of Mamoru Oshii's directorial ambitions. A dark, glacial political thriller about the ways in which countries wage war in the 21st century, the futility of trying to change systems from within, and the way in which nations bury the victims of their history.

Perfect Blue

It's no wonder this movie served as such direct inspiration for the likes of Black Swan; it sometimes doesn't feel like anime at all. It uses so many cinematic techniques that are normally found in live action, and the acting is so naturalistic, that it can fool you at times, even though your eyes are consciously registering the stylized designs and cel-based animation. Perfect Blue is just a really solid and endlessly rewatchable psychological thriller, and also a chilling look into otaku/idol/celebrity culture, the Web 1.0 rumor mill, the callousness of the entertainment industry, and the ways in which we fragment our own identities to survive the trauma of our lives. Satoshi Kon's masterwork, IMO.

Polar Bear Cafe

There are TV shows that function as spiritual comfort food; for some people it's their favorite sitcom, or a heavily-serialized childhood cartoon. For me it's Polar Bear Cafe. I wish there was a TV channel that aired Polar Bear Cafe episodes 24/7. It's a placid, good-natured slice-of-life series about a world in which humans coexist with sentient animals who live, talk, and work alongside them. It's a deeply charming show that very slowly unveils hints of world-building and character back stories, but don't expect any "lore" or dramatic twists out of it. It's something nice to watch with coffee in hand, or unwinding at the end of the day. It is, probably, what a perfect world would look like.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

There are two anime series which, if encountered at the right time in your personal development, can proceed to shape your identity and outlook on life for years to come: the first is Evangelion (to the detriment of many), and the second is Utena. While Evangelion portrays the need for human connection as a grand struggle between giant robots and space aliens, Utena examines the ways in which the people in our lives play roles and live out elaborate fantasies, which--intentionally or otherwise--can end up being just as destructive. Both series are about teenagers and the end of the world, but Utena arrives at a much more resonant message while also being aesthetically superior.

Tekkonkinkreet

This movie is an outlier in many ways: a magical-realist adventure about a pair of street-urchin brothers who rule over a bustling, hyper-colorful metropolis, directed by a Westerner? And based on a manga that's about as far from the mainstream as possible, yet provided with a generous budget? I'm still not sure how it happened, but I'm glad it did. Tekkonkinkreet is a celebration of brotherhood, local color, street culture, youthful exhuberance, the messy excitement of big cities, and the culture-clash qualities of contemporary Japan. It's also a touching story about forgiveness, self-reliance, and unconditional love. So it has something for everyone.

Runner-ups:
Cat Soup
Descending Stories: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Kekkai Sensen aka Blood Blockade Battlefront
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
Lucky Star
Natsume Yuujinchou aka Natsume's Book of Friends
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Turn A Gundam

Red and Blue

Guess I'll give mine.
1. Romeo Blue Skies
2. Samurai Champloo
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Wolf's Rain
5. Higurashi
6. Dragon Ball
7. Lupin the 3rd
8. Bakuman
9. Aria
10. Gash Bell

Honorable mentions: Cassherin Sins, Digimon Adventures and Tamers, Space Dandy, Clannad, Carole and Tuesday, Devilman, Aggretsuko, GTO, Eyeshield 21, yamishibai, Trigun, first Yu-Gi-Oh, Cyborg 009, Gurren Lagann

Last edited: