• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your views on marijuana and drugs

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Honestly, I think very little of us have any real right to talk about a person doing weed and driving if we already did not see it first-hand.

The only thing most of us can rely on is studies, and they show that "weed" driving does technically increase the risk, but so does texting and cellphone usage.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Honestly, I think very little of us have any real right to talk about a person doing weed and driving if we already did not see it first-hand.

The only thing most of us can rely on is studies, and they show that "weed" driving does technically increase the risk, but so does texting and cellphone usage.

Yes, Cell-phone usage does increase the risk just like a drug would. But, you cannot simply stop being high at any given moment. While with a cellphone, you can put it down.

Profesco

gone gently
And besides, that's not an argument that says "weed driving" is okay - it says all three of those things are dangerous and ought not be done.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Yes, Cell-phone usage does increase the risk just like a drug would. But, you cannot simply stop being high at any given moment. While with a cellphone, you can put it down.
Yet, statistically the risk of cell phones seem to be so great that there are laws specifically aimed at people who use them. Texting is even worse; you don't even look at the road!

My reply to this extends to the next one.

And besides, that's not an argument that says "weed driving" is okay - it says all three of those things are dangerous and ought not be done.
I am in no way saying weed driving is okay. Nowhere did I say that. My point is that pointing to weed driving is arbitrary and irrelevant. We can debate about people who have "skills" driving with food, cellphones, weed, or whatever; however, considering NONE OF US have most likely smoked weed while driving (save a few), we have very little inside-knowledge enough to criticize people Kit Kat.

All we can do is point out studies and experiments and so far, it does seem to be less potent than some of the things mentioned in this topic.

posted by Ghost Anime

exactly, I don't know where you live but driving while using a cellphone is illegal in California and so driving under the influence of pot. I wouldn't get into to car if someone was drunk, and if a driver was talking on a cellphone I would tell them to stop, and I sure as hell ain't gonna let someone drive high. And I am not criticizing Kit Kat, some people really do drive good while high. However I am criticizing the average person that isn't so good at controlling themselves while high, which includes most people.

Profesco

gone gently
I am in no way saying weed driving is okay. Nowhere did I say that. My point is that pointing to weed driving is arbitrary and irrelevant. We can debate about people who have "skills" driving with food, cellphones, weed, or whatever; however, considering NONE OF US have most likely smoked weed while driving (save a few), we have very little inside-knowledge enough to criticize people Kit Kat.

All we can do is point out studies and experiments and so far, it does seem to be less potent than some of the things mentioned in this topic.

Well, I kind of want to just point out that not having personally driven while drunk, high, or texting, or not having ridden in a car with someone doing one of those things does not render a person incapable of leveling a reasonable judgement of those behaviors, particularly when we do in fact have studies to show that those behaviors are dangerous or inadvisable (whether comparably mild or severe to other forms of danger), and at the very least ought not be done out of simple prudence. One need not drink a cup of arsenic to judge arsenic-drinking as unwise. ;P

But you're certainly right about criticism. It's just bad form to outright criticize individuals, and if that's the way my posts have sounded, I do apologize to any offended. Certain practices are well within the bounds of critique, but each individual is due respect and freedom.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
To the whole high driving debate: You should note that, at least with alcohol and especially at this time of the year, walking drunk is a greater killer than driving drunk. I presume that this extends to any kind of drugs as well.

Personally, I think having to do drugs in order to feel good is a great indicator that you need to do something about your life to change it. In addition, it also indicates a great amount of egotism, as any family of a serious drug addict can tell you. On the other hand, I think every kind of drug should be legalised.

What, really?

Yes. If someone wants to be an idiot, then let them. Legalising the stuff would save the government millions every year and, in addition, it would remove large parts of the criminal world's funding. If people want to get high, they are going to find a way. Might as well let them be stupid on their own time.

for what it's worth, i've never been stupid enough to text while driving, but i've studied cognition enough to know it's an objectively bad decision and it should be against the law

texting while driving isn't exactly the same as driving while high though, the former is an issue of two fixations attempting to share the same cognitive channel, which is never good news, the latter doesn't apply unless you're like watching your joint burn or something

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I presume that this extends to any kind of drugs as well.
You can't go this far without any form of support.

Personally, I think having to do drugs in order to feel good is a great indicator that you need to do something about your life to change it.
People who do drugs feel the same way people feel when they play WoW, eat fast food, or have sex.

You in no way can immediately judge it as a "problem that needs fixing".

But will these people put their phones down? Do you honestly think anybody actually follows that 'law'?
I agree texting WHILE driving is pretty stupid (i mean, I'll text quickly on a long red light) but not when I'm driving and actually have to look. Talking on the phone takes some of your attention away, but you're still able to watch what's going on.
I'd say phones while driving is much more risky than driving while stoned. I did both. Didn't have problems with neither, but I still have yet to hear of a fatal accident due to somebody being high behind the wheel. And I've heard loads of crap due to people being on their cell phones while driving.

However I am criticizing the average person that isn't so good at controlling themselves while high, which includes most people.

The average person seems to be able to drive very well while high, at least the ones who are also experienced with driving/are able to drive. Every person I've been in a car with, while being high, we've never got into an accident, never got pulled over or anything. And it's not like anybody really talks about it too much, because it never happens, unlike the loads of accidents involving alcohol. If stoned driving was really that common and bad of an issue, we'd definitely know and hear about it more.

Personally, I think having to do drugs in order to feel good is a great indicator that you need to do something about your life to change it. In addition, it also indicates a great amount of egotism, as any family of a serious drug addict can tell you. On the other hand, I think every kind of drug should be legalised

Actually, I have a very fulfilling life, thank you very much. My life atm is pretty much for my future because I do care about it, work and school, right after each other, every day of the week. Yes, I'm going to be a hair stylist :) My dreeeeeeam. And I pay for all of it. Oh, and my car too. And people say 'druggies? LOL' can't have a real, accomplishing life?
You guys are funny.

Last edited:

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
You can't go this far without any form of support.

I do not understand this sentence. It can mean several different things, so please elaborate.

People who do drugs feel the same way people feel when they play WoW, eat fast food, or have sex.

You in no way can immediately judge it as a "problem that needs fixing".

Except that those things are not comparable. Drugs are inherently harmful. Fast food is at well, but I heard Americans have a problem with that as well, so I don't want to go into details there. Playing WoW... Well, the people I have known that were real addicts were using it as a replacement for a social life and as such, it was indeed unhealthy. Then again, you have to overdo it a lot in order to get any physical effects. Personally, I never got what was so awesome about the game.

Having sex, however, is completely different from any of the other things you named. That is something our body compels us to do because the survival of our entire species depends on reproduction. This leads to our body releasing a number of reward chemicals in our brain when we do it. But these are not harmful, and sex is, in and of itself, not harmful. Again, physical exertion is a possible cause of death, but this is something the body warns you of with pain and fatigue. Heck, most of the time, people who are faced with great amounts of physical exertion will simply collapse and be pretty much none the worse for wear in a number of hours, days, weeks, whatever.

Brain cells are not replaced. As such, you cannot compare these things to drugs - well, yes, they are all used by a human to obtain pleasure - but the outcome is very different. Until death is either present or unavoidable, all of the three things you mentioned are largely reversible. The damage marijuana does to you? Not so much.

Actually, I have a very fulfilling life, thank you very much. My life atm is pretty much for my future because I do care about it, work and school, right after each other, every day of the week. Yes, I'm going to be a hair stylist :) My dreeeeeeam. And I pay for all of it. Oh, and my car too. And people say 'druggies? LOL' can't have a real, accomplishing life?
You guys are funny.

You do not have terribly high standards for yourself, do you?

And yet you take something that changes your outlook on life? How does that relate?

Honestly, this extends to alcohol as well. I know teenagers drink because they are insecure and blah blah and can't cope with their comparably tiny issues without poisoning their own brain once or twice a week. Heck, most people do this into their twenties. But when some is middle-aged and still gets drunk on a regular or even almost regular basis - well, that says more about their life than you'd think. Drugs are just... Well, I cannot help but link them to a low intelligence, because that is what smoking enough joints will often result in. And if anyone tries to disagree with that, please stop deluding yourself. Alcohol kills brain cells as well. If you really have to explain to yourself that your preferred drug is not harmful, then you might want to stop taking it instead of trying to convince others of something that is incorrect.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Except that those things are not comparable. Drugs are inherently harmful.

Drugs are inherently drugs. I so wish people would stop making this blanket statement. Drugs saved my life on more than one occassion. Drug abuse is inherently harmful.

Fast food is at well, but I heard Americans have a problem with that as well, so I don't want to go into details there.

Making sweeping generalizations about nationalities does not make you look good.

You do not have terribly high standards for yourself, do you? And yet you take something that changes your outlook on life? How does that relate?

You know, I just find this extremely rude. Do you ever look up at the person cutting your hair and ask them this question?

Brain cells are not replaced. As such, you cannot compare these things to drugs - well, yes, they are all used by a human to obtain pleasure - but the outcome is very different. Until death is either present or unavoidable, all of the three things you mentioned are largely reversible. The damage marijuana does to you? Not so much. (...)

If you really have to explain to yourself that your preferred drug is not harmful, then you might want to stop taking it instead of trying to convince others of something that is incorrect.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1732

Your rant about alcohol, and sex, and WoW is all fine and dandy, but...pot doesn't kill brain cells. Sorry to break it to you.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Drugs are inherently drugs. I so wish people would stop making this blanket statement. Drugs saved my life on more than one occassion. Drug abuse is inherently harmful.

Sorry, English is not my first language, and I honestly rarely ever hear the word "drugs" outside of drug abuse talk. In a broader definition, I myself have of course taken several kinds of medicine throughout my life. The thing is, whenever someone does something that is harmful to themselves and have a choice, I lose all respect for them. I have had a friend die of cancer. She was 18. Whenever someone brings up drugs, suicide or whatever, I cannot help but see them as selfish assholes.

Making sweeping generalizations about nationalities does not make you look good.

Well, it is a larger problem in the U.S. than it is in, say, most of Europe. I did not say that every American is fat, but it is a major problem for them. The rest of us are catching up, though.

You know, I just find this extremely rude. Do you ever look up at the person cutting your hair and ask them this question?

No. But then again, I don't speak to them at all besides what I need to. In fact, that goes for most people. Do I insult the middle-aged guy who works at MacDonald's? No, but I do think he is wasting his life.

Your rant about alcohol, and sex, and WoW is all fine and dandy, but...pot doesn't kill brain cells. Sorry to break it to you.

Correct, that was a research fail on my side. Still, I find it to be interesting that people who do drugs are often the ones who seem to promote the "does no damage at all" rosy-tinted image that I see so often. However, the fact is that there has simply not been enough research on the matter, due to its status as an illegal drug. *** It is interesting to note, though, the Holland, a country which has legalised these drugs is now restraining them more than it did before. But as I stated in my original post, I think it should be legalised, all of it. Marijuana, crack, heroine, all of it. So what if some people kill themselves with it? That's hardly something the rest of us should be concerned with.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I do not understand this sentence. It can mean several different things, so please elaborate.
Evidence.

Except that those things are not comparable. Drugs are inherently harmful. Fast food is at well, but I heard Americans have a problem with that as well, so I don't want to go into details there.
Playing WoW... Well, the people I have known that were real addicts were using it as a replacement for a social life and as such, it was indeed unhealthy. Then again, you have to overdo it a lot in order to get any physical effects. Personally, I never got what was so awesome about the game.

Having sex, however, is completely different from any of the other things you named. That is something our body compels us to do because the survival of our entire species depends on reproduction. This leads to our body releasing a number of reward chemicals in our brain when we do it. But these are not harmful, and sex is, in and of itself, not harmful. Again, physical exertion is a possible cause of death, but this is something the body warns you of with pain and fatigue. Heck, most of the time, people who are faced with great amounts of physical exertion will simply collapse and be pretty much none the worse for wear in a number of hours, days, weeks, whatever.
The reason I made these comparisons were because we ALL get the same brain chemicals released when we do them. These reward chemicals make us want to do them again, and some of us can get addicted to this feeling and turn something not harmful (or already harmful, in fast food's case) into something drastic.

I also like how you judge drug users as dumb, but you clearly can't even define what drugs are and you lack knowledge about the actual drug you're criticizing.

You do not have terribly high standards for yourself, do you?

May I ask what YOU plan to do in your future? Are you working yet? Do you plan to go to college, for what?
The fact that you sound exactly like one of those people who put down people who want to live a career in the beauty industry, highly pisses me off. I'd rather make myself happy, doing something I love, and also making decent money. With that, also being able to make everyone I work on, happy and feel beautiful. It's a rewarding job. You probably don't think so because you're so unaware about most things in life, as seen by your views and posts.

And yet you take something that changes your outlook on life? How
does that relate?

what is this, i'm confused?
lol. My outlook on life is unchanged even with the stuff I choose to take. (May I also mention once again, the only drug I do near to regularly is marijuana.

Honestly, this extends to alcohol as well. I know teenagers drink because they are insecure and blah blah and can't cope with their comparably tiny issues without poisoning their own brain once or twice a week. Heck, most people do this into their twenties. But when some is middle-aged and still gets drunk on a regular or even almost regular basis - well, that says more about their life than you'd think. Drugs are just... Well, I cannot help but link them to a low intelligence, because that is what smoking enough joints will often result in. And if anyone tries to disagree with that, please stop deluding yourself. Alcohol kills brain cells as well. If you really have to explain to yourself that your preferred drug is not harmful, then you might want to stop taking it instead of trying to convince others of something that is incorrect.

You are so delusional, oh my. You're so screwed up by hearing false things.
LOL, the fact that you still believe that smoking pot destroys braincells, and/or makes someone less intelligent ..just makes you sound like a dumbass.
The only thing weed will do in the long run, is weaken your lungs (because of smoking it, but ..very less harmful than cigarettes), and possibly causing some minor memory loss. TBH, I can deal with that. I have a pretty amazing memory atm, so I'm not going to lose much. :)

The thing is, whenever someone does something that is harmful to themselves and have a choice, I lose all respect for them. I have had a friend die of cancer. She was 18. Whenever someone brings up drugs, suicide or whatever, I cannot help but see them as selfish assholes.

Actually, you're sounding extremely selfish yourself, for linking everyone who does drugs and crap to your friend that died of cancer. That's horrible and all, but there is no need to feel selfish, and call everybody else selfish if they're doing something.

Correct, that was a research fail on my side. Still, I find it to be interesting that people who do drugs are often the ones who seem to promote the "does no damage at all" rosy-tinted image that I see so often. However, the fact is that there has simply not been enough research on the matter, due to its status as an illegal drug. *** It is interesting to note, though, the Holland, a country which has legalised these drugs is now restraining them more than it did before. But as I stated in my original post, I think it should be legalised, all of it. Marijuana, crack, heroine, all of it. So what if some people kill themselves with it? That's hardly something the rest of us should be concerned with.

Well obviously. Because we want people to stop living under the roof of their homes and see what is really true. I mean, it's not that fun to be criticized everyday about crap like "OH I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE SLOWLY KILLING YOURSELF LOL. SMOKE ALL THAT WEED YOU WANT." How the F does weed kill anybody?
I won't talk about the other drugs, because a few of them, I have tried, but never got hooked on them, because I know how bad they are.
I just think people forget about how harmless weed actually is, and they always tend to add it in when they're talking about the horrors of drugs.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Sorry, English is not my first language, and I honestly rarely ever hear the word "drugs" outside of drug abuse talk. In a broader definition, I myself have of course taken several kinds of medicine throughout my life. The thing is, whenever someone does something that is harmful to themselves and have a choice, I lose all respect for them. I have had a friend die of cancer. She was 18. Whenever someone brings up drugs, suicide or whatever, I cannot help but see them as selfish assholes.

Being a spina bifida victim and having more than twenty surgeries...I've had to all but disregard this idea that you can judge someone's suffering over the backdrop of your own tragedy. That is, if I wished to retain any sense of social grace whatsover. Suffering and one's sense of dignity ego is an inexplicable and irrational thing, and it's pointless to weigh one's grief against another. Hence, why someone in poverty will be satisfied and someone in prosperity may be completely masochistic. A four year old will bawl their eyes out when they skin their knee and a twenty year old will endure a surgery in silence. A little perspective is an awesome, almost divine thing, but I observe everyone has different standards and a different frame of reference, so perspective is not possible all of the time.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
May I ask what YOU plan to do in your future? Are you working yet? Do you plan to go to college, for what?
The fact that you sound exactly like one of those people who put down people who want to live a career in the beauty industry, highly pisses me off. I'd rather make myself happy, doing something I love, and also making decent money. With that, also being able to make everyone I work on, happy and feel beautiful. It's a rewarding job. You probably don't think so because you're so unaware about most things in life, as seen by your views and posts.

It was indeed wrong of me to write such a thing. I apologise.

As for my future... I am currently undergoing education, but after that, I plan on not doing anything. I live in a society that has taxes high enough that some people end up paying over 70 % of their earnings in taxes. On the other hand, people who don't work get money from the government. I honestly do not see the motivation for having a job, and in that case, I would rather be a parasite than anything else.

lol. My outlook on life is unchanged even with the stuff I choose to take. (May I also mention once again, the only drug I do near to regularly is marijuana.

So why do you do it, then? Your life isn't bad. Why do you feel a need to take something that, in your mind, improves it?

You are so delusional, oh my. You're so screwed up by hearing false things.
LOL, the fact that you still believe that smoking pot destroys braincells, and/or makes someone less intelligent ..just makes you sound like a dumbass.
The only thing weed will do in the long run, is weaken your lungs (because of smoking it, but ..very less harmful than cigarettes), and possibly causing some minor memory loss. TBH, I can deal with that. I have a pretty amazing memory atm, so I'm not going to lose much. :)

Right. Memory loss and brain damage are certainly not related in any way. I can totally make out the sense in that.

Actually, you're sounding extremely selfish yourself, for linking everyone who does drugs and crap to your friend that died of cancer. That's horrible and all, but there is no need to feel selfish, and call everybody else selfish if they're doing something.

But I do. Why should people who do not appreciate their life have one in the first place? My friend was an example I used because it was close to me, but there are a heluva lot of other people who would gladly have a healthy body and take care of it if someone did not want that themselves.

And yes, I am selfish. Everyone is selfish. It's kinda hardwired into our brains.

Well obviously. Because we want people to stop living under the roof of their homes and see what is really true. I mean, it's not that fun to be criticized everyday about crap like "OH I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE SLOWLY KILLING YOURSELF LOL. SMOKE ALL THAT WEED YOU WANT." How the F does weed kill anybody?

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, or what? Tetrahydrocannabinol has been known to kill lab rats. What exactly makes you think it is not harmful to people?

Being a spina bifida victim and having more than twenty surgeries...I've had to all but disregard this idea that you can judge someone's suffering over the backdrop of your own tragedy. That is, if I wished to retain any sense of social grace whatsover. Suffering and one's sense of dignity ego is an inexplicable and irrational thing, and it's pointless to weigh one's grief against another. Hence, why someone in poverty will be satisfied and someone in prosperity may be completely masochistic. A four year old will bawl their eyes out when they skin their knee and a twenty year old will endure a surgery in silence. A little perspective is an awesome, almost divine thing, but I observe everyone has different standards and a different frame of reference, so perspective is not possible all of the time.

That is... Actually very insightful. I have nothing to say, because you are absolutely right.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
As for my future... I am currently undergoing education, but after that, I plan on not doing anything. I live in a society that has taxes high enough that some people end up paying over 70 % of their earnings in taxes. On the other hand, people who don't work get money from the government. I honestly do not see the motivation for having a job, and in that case, I would rather be a parasite than anything else.
LMAO

Is this a joke?

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
LMAO

Is this a joke?

No. The Danish school system is made to target all pupils. However, what usually happens is that the teacher only cares about the ones that are not good at schoolwork, leading the rest to become bored and start acting out. I was sent to a psychologist because they thought I had Asperger's Syndrome. The psychologist said no, but that I was very intelligent and that might be the reason for how I acted in school (Well, that and bullying from both other pupils and the teachers (My father had a problem with the principal)). So in the fifth grade I changed school. I still got bullied by the others. Now, at my current faculty, which is the equivalent of the first three years of the American colleges, it's okay. But still. After ten years of going through hell, the friggin' system will repay me, one way or another.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I can't believe there's a system out there that willingly supports people living in a society where it is possible to never contribute to it.