• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Your worst Shiny fail?

Paige712

We’ve all been there lol. What are your worst Pokémon shiny stories?

Mine was when I ran from a pink Sneasel in Pokémon Crystal because I thought it was a glitch at age 10. I later realised maybe it was just a unique colour so I thought I’d search for it again. Should be easy enough right? It should still be on the same floor since I didn’t KO it. Right? Right?

Fuk my life lol

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
My very first shiny was a shiny Mawile in Pokémon Y…but I was out of Pokéballs…
Seven years later, I’m still salty about that.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
A shiny Weezing got away from me in Soul Silver's Safari Zone. I was pretty angry after that.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m not sure if I have such a story tbh. I did have a friend accidentally flee from a Shiny Chansey in the Safari Zone because he mistakenly highlighted the wrong option.

Phillies

I have 3. My first fail was a shiny Mareep in either Silver or Gold. I killed it thinking it was a glitch and didn't realize I messed up until I encountered the shiny Gyarados later in the game. My second fail was a shiny Audino that I found in the Friend Safari. That one I ran out of pokeballs for. My final fail was a shiny Braixen also in the Friend Safari. That one I failed because a little before I encountered it I rearranged the moves on my false swiper. I ended up using boomerang instead of false swipe and KO'd it.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
My first ever shiny (besides red gyarados) was a mankey in a bootleg copy of Leaf Green which randomly deleted all my save data every couple of hours.
I don't even like green on that pokemon, but it was a real extra slap to the face while finding out that I'd bought a fake game.

Red and Blue

In Pokémon X I had a Geodude horde encounter with one shiny. But they all kept using Magnitude and hurting each other thus killing the shiny. Why game, just why?

Leonhart

Imagineer
The first Shiny Pokemon that I encountered [not counting the G/S/C Shiny Gyarados] was a Shiny Poppo (Pidgey), which I couldn't capture because I only had a couple of Balls in my inventory at the time. Also while it hasn't happened to me, I've heard many stories of people finding Shiny Pokemon at the Safari Zones and not being able to capture those because they fled, which is unfortunate.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I saw a full-odds shiny Fearow fly around in Let's Go Eevee. I flew up to search for it, but by the time I saw it, it flew up never to be seen again.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
30 Pokeballs trying to catch Shiny Vigoroth in Pokemon GO only to find out he can't be transferred to Pokemon Sword :mad:
I keep all my non-transferable shinies in Go until a game comes out where they can be transferred. Shiny Unova starter lines, you will have a proper home one day! One day…

Encountered a shiny Graveler in Pearl on the Victory Road. It selfdestructed while I was weakening it.

The other one was a shiny Tangela in Gold before I knew what shinies were. I didn't have any pokeballs with me so I resetted my game in the hopes of finding it again, thinking it was a scripted encounter like the shiny Gyarados or something roaming like the Legendary Beasts.