• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Youtube video clip to animated gif

raz1337

Miju Miju!
I'm trying to make an animated gif of a clip from a Pokemon episode recently.

I came up with this:

But it has the black bars on it, and it's 2.5MB. At its normal resolution, it was 5 MB. I was using download helper to get stuff off Youtube. I took the original clip off YouTube with Downloadhelper and that managed to become an flv with no black bars. I converted that to an AVI. Then I used Windows Movie Maker Live to edit the video and SUPER to convert to an animated gif.

Is the aspect ratio messing up when coming from Youtube through downloadhelper this time?

I have the clip here on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc4qAoF9I8w

Any help?

Last edited:

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
raz1337 - That image is over 1 Megabyte, and violates one of the Signature rules:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=430446

8. No large GIFs or .bmp files
You may not have over 500KB when all of your images are added up

Alter it, or I will remove it from your signature. (I'll give you until 1800 GMT+1 Sunday/ 24 hours from I post the message)

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
The problem with converting video files to gif images is that according to the GIF specification an image can only be 8-bits per pixel, which means technically a GIF that is true to the specification can only have 256 colors. Using higher bit depth can make the GIF file incompatible with some browsers. Plus GIF's compression algorithm was designed for 8-bit images, and therefore does not really reduce file size when using higher bit-depths.

It's better to use Animated PNG files when possible, since they are basically just strings of PNG images, which as you may know are better than JPG's in quality.

Last edited: