• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime or Manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Hidden Mew said:
Believe it or not, I have read some of the YuGiOh Manga. Even though some of them were pretty interesting, I would have to say I prefer to watch the anime. It isn't only because the manga is more violent. The anime that I watch, which are Pokemon, Digimon, and YuGiOh, I watch to feel happy, to feel inspired, and to feel free from the confined space of this reality. I do understand, or at least respect, why people watch anime, or read the manga, for the art or for the violence.
;249-d; ;196; ;rukario; ;359; ;229; ;373;​
I am hidden, yet I am in front of you.​
Good reason, but I have to tell you, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist has less violence than the original first seven volumes of the manga. :)

Heck, YGO's barely violent at all, aside from those monsters attacking each other.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist IS the first Manga. Read the publication page, in the original JPN format YGO D was Tankobon (Volume) 8-31 (Covering DK, D-D-D, and BC). YGO MW covers the final Volumes of 32-38.

YGO's original theme are friendship and courage, and if you read or watched the original Comics/Animé, you can kind of see how it works out.

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
Satoshi said:
Good reason, but I have to tell you, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist has less violence than the original manga. :)

I'm grateful that you thought my reason was good. I was afraid people here would start to bash around what I say here. Anyway, I am thankful for that and what is this Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist? Is that the manga or the original japanese version? I have only read a few of the mangas from Shonden Jump.
;016; ;004; ;338; ;037; ;108; ;230;
I am hidden, yet I am in front of you.​

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the last post.

Last edited:
C

cmtbakuhun

I like the manga more. Though I couln't read much of it, what I read was fun enough. And, I liked the yami no game part, which the anime totally skipped. Aw, the dice RPG with Yami Bakura was sooo exciting....
Also, the anime has some unnecessary parts such as KC grand Prix and etc.
And, yami Yugi looks kind of .. uh, ugly or ... maybe strange in the Doma Orichalchos Saga. Moreover, I don't like the dark/black magician in the anime.
originally, in the manga, he has a blue suit and green skin followed by tatoos under his eyes and blonde hair, but the anime turned him into a purple guy! Ugh!

Mimori Kiryu

I enjoy the anime more. I don't know why, I just prefer to watch the show and get more in depth with it. I still love the manga too. <3 Maybe I love both ^^

I like neither, except for the Egypt Arc of the manga, the only interesting and exciting part of the manga. The anime is just horrible, both dub and original. Yu-Gi-Oh GX is better, though, but it still suffers from bad dubbing and cheesy characters.

RED1992

Banned
dude ugo sucks in all forms. i used to play it when i went to grade school, but people started calling it gay and the anime got boring, so i sold may hard- earned exodia and stuff on ebay.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
RED1992, stop making yourself look like an a*s.

Anyway, personally I don't like the Yu-Gi-Oh anime or manga, save for the first seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. You don't need a manga with as much mello-drama as it was later in the series, and I felt that Takahashi actually had something in the beginning before he started the bandwagon of the fuggin card phenomenon.

undisputed_seraphim

I like the manga. The anime didn't show the first 4 books from the manga, and the anime was horribly dragged out. And the anime was like, HotC all the way, that was extremely corny. And the story didn't go fast enough. The cursed anime focused too much about duels and HotC, not enough on the personal relationships of the characters (okay, maybe a little) and the manga was much better because Takahashi got everything over quickly.

C

clown_buggy

I prefer the anime, as it had the Doma and Grand Prix arcs, which I love dearly (especially Doma, which is truly teh awesomeness :D). However, the manga's alright. Can't say I'm crazy about it, though.

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB

Fear the light.
Manga- Ever since I saw the changes I was shocked 0_O
I'm Christion and I was rageing how Kazuki Takahashi used croses, churches,blood,vilence, and not to mention Yu-Gi-Oh was One of my favorite show's eversince then I only watched GX >___>

Well as for the Manga I've got 2 vol's the storie is nice and like other's say It show's something's that they don't show in the anime..
http://www.yu-jyo.net/

Last edited:
D

Dodrio

I like the very first season of the anime. the one that wasnt released in america. It wasnt card based. It was game based, Yugi is the king of games. He is the king of one game. In the first season he finds creative torture methods using games. But after it came to america it went down, waaay down. So, the first season in anime form and the rest in manga.

Rudoku

Your mom
Magi of all said:
Manga, although I like both well enough, the dub is just stupid. Adding Heart of the Cards and the "Shadow Realm" just ruined what could mave been an OK anime
You do know that "Heart of the Cards" isn't a dub addition, right? Look at the first Japanese episode of Duel Monsters and you'll hear Yugi say "Kokoro no cardo" a lot.

Kez

Hoenn Champion
Well I am on volume 4 of the manga and I have to say, that so far, it is better than the anime. But it seems very violent. I mean, everyone wants to kill each other, but I suppose that that is why i like it better LOL. I do like that anime, but I loose track of it, and a 5 episode duel can get kind of tedious.

BTW. Why do you call him yami yugi? And in the manga, when does it become aparnt to yugi that he is inhabiting his body?

Last edited:

Love Hina Fan

December Third...
Kez said:
Well I am on volume 4 of the manga and I have to say, that so far, it is better than the anime. But it seems very violent. I mean, everyone wants to kill each other, but I suppose that that is why i like it better LOL. I do like that anime, but I loose track of it, and a 5 episode duel can get kind of tedious.

BTW. Why do you call him yami yugi? And in the manga, when does it become aparnt to yugi that he is inhabiting his body?
Sometime in Death-T, I forgot when. I am too lazy to check my Tankouban. Anyways, I like the Manga more, especially GX and R. The GX manga only has two chapters and it is already superior to the Anime. R has awesome characters and the story is getting good.

Last edited:

Kez

Hoenn Champion
I have just finished reading the Death-T saga and you were right. But I think that his first inkling was when shadi (for got his name but I think that is right) said that he wanted to see the other yugi. And does anyone know why you call him yami yugi?

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
Love Hina Fan said:
Sometime in Death-T, I forgot when. I am too lazy to check my Taikouban. Anyways, I like the Manga more, especially GX and R. The GX manga only has two chapters and it is already superior to the Anime. R has awesome characters and the story is getting good.

There actually is a GX manga. I thought that it was a rumor for some reason. I'll have to check that out just to see if it is better than the GX anime, which it probably is. Anyway, I'm still saying that I prefer the anime over the manga, but the manga can be interesting at times.

Love Hina Fan

December Third...
Kez said:
I have just finished reading the Death-T saga and you were right. But I think that his first inkling was when shadi (for got his name but I think that is right) said that he wanted to see the other yugi. And does anyone know why you call him yami yugi?
Yami Yugi is Japanese for Dark Yugi. Although they don't say it much, the other characters usually call him The Other Yugi while Yugi himself calls him Mou Hitori no Boku.

Status
Not open for further replies.