• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season Zero

DeoxysTrainer

Veteran Trainer
Have any of you seen,it,Ive been watching it at YouTube,its real cool,funny,perverted,and violent,for example Yami or Dark Yugi would challenge people to shadow games but no cards this time,and if they lost or cheated they would suffer terribly....

Last edited:

S_P

Soul Trainer
I just like how it presents a completely different perspective.

Sure the season 1 (or rather duel monsters portion) was much more popular, but that might be due to the animation or the cards or the powers but season zero had the initial grasp of it.

It does explain how the characters knew each other, when the puzzle was completed, and various small games.

Heck, they called Capsule Monsters as "Capmon".

Then you had Jounouchi being Jounounchi. I also liked Season Zero Anzu better. Honda felt like he had more things to say or do, and you also had that Miho-chan girl who doesn't exist in duel monsters.

You also get like a different villain every time. Also the difference between Yugi and Yami are far greater.

Oh right, and there's like ... more evil lol. Instead of "end of the world if a loss of a card game exists" it's like "endless torment due to cheating or losing a high stakes game".

I sort of get how it had horrendous ratings, which was why it was cut in the first place, as well as it never being bothered to be dubbed.

In Duel Monsters, almost every scenario is a "must win". In Season Zero, it didn't seem like it. King of Games seems more accurate if several different games are played (or rather, challenges with some basic concept), instead of a single duel monsters. I just liked the fact that it presented different conditions and circumstances.

Of course, it's much simpler. I just think it has more grasp on some character personalities.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
I read the manga, but didn't see the anime (saw the opening and ending themes, though... those were nice).

S_P said:
I sort of get how it had horrendous ratings, which was why it was cut in the first place, as well as it never being bothered to be dubbed.
Really, it had horrendous ratings? I wouldn't have guessed it was that bad.

King of Games seems more accurate if several different games are played (or rather, challenges with some basic concept), instead of a single duel monsters.
Yeah, that's one part of the story that intrigued me. While I like the card game, it does make more sense for the "King of Games" to play all kinds of games. We saw Yami winning game after game after game. And, by the way, the term "Shadow Games" made some more sense, too.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
S_P said:
I just liked the fact that it presented different conditions and circumstances.
I wouldn't say.....remember when Yami no Yuugi used Mind Crush on two of the player killers in Duelist Kingdom? I'd say it would've been in the same conditions, if it weren't for Yuugi's influence after the Yuugi x Kaiba battle in Duelist Kingdom. Actually, it's been the same influence all this time, like what Malik did in his saga, with his "Yami no Games".

The main reason why I liked this series is because of the actual part of the manga they adapted, the part were it wasn't just focused on an overly exposed card game (fun as it is) and focused on all sorts of games.

You know, what I don't get is people complain that 4Kids didn't dub this series because it would've "filled in plotholes". The thing is, it's not possible and it won't fill in plotholes. The Yuugiou series was already getting bad ratings as it is, until Shueisha (the company that publishes the manga and has a division that publishes Weekly Jump Comics) got lots of fan mail asking more about the "Magic and Wizards" game that appeared in one of the chapters in the early manga...which lead Kazuki Takahashi to change tthe direction of the manga after the seventh volume. TOEI tried to advertise the game in their "Yuugiou The Movie" but that failed too, so TV TOKYO bought the rights to produce and adapt the manga into anime. So even if TOEI sold the series to 4Kids, they'd make absolutely no profit. So unless TOEI wants to distribute something that it lost the rights to and risk dealing with lawsuits, they will never sell the series to anyone.

And about the "filling up the plotholes" thing, it would just create alot more. Why did Kaiba dye his hair brown? How the would Gozaburo comitt suicide and put his memory into virtual reality when Kaiba already electricuted him? What happened to Miho, she dispeared for no apparent reason? Why did Kaiba battle Yuugi with the exact same duel two times? Why did Yuugi do Mind Crush on Kaiba to "get rid of the devil in his mind" when he already did the first time? Why in the world did Yami no Bakura and Shadi appear twice with the second time of Yami no Yuugi and Yuugi not remembering them the second time? Seems to me that it made sense for 4Kids not to dub this one.

Just wanted to bring that up because I know someone would mention it. :p
Kamex said:
Really, it had horrendous ratings? I wouldn't have guessed it was that bad.
Most likely it's because the fans didn't like that it made slight alterations when adapting manga to anime (which the second series did too, but didn't do it majorly like TOEI did with their series. Some fans get mad at this with every damn anime series, for example: Tsubasa Chronicle (which didn't majorly change any of the plot and had good adaption in the second season, IMO) and Fullmetal Alchemist). Yuugi being moved to the top of class implying that he was intelligent when he was actually somewhere below the class (somewhere in the manga revealed that he didn't really get good grades) and some of the episode order is out of place with the manga order (they made the episode where Yuugi takes Anzu to the carnival, which took place a little later in the manga, waaaaaaaay in the beginning), for instance.

I would've liked a better adaption of the manga in this series, but then I'd see what I'd already saw, which wouldn't be any fun....It's really subpar in adaption, the TV TOKYO second series adaption was good (at least their part of the manga XP).

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Locke Yggdrasill said:
I've only seen pictures and flashbacks in the Official American version, sadly.
Thing is, you can never actually see anything from first series in them, since they're not taken from the first series, rather re-animated and altered a little. o_O For example, the flashback in Burger World. In the first series, Anzu, Honda, and Miho were welcoming Yuugi and Jonouchi, but in the second series flashback, the only person welcoming Yuugi and Jonouchi is Anzu (which actually is more faithful to the manga then what TOEI did with it in the first series). Plus, instead of her being held hostage by a burglar with a gun, she was harassed by a thug/pervert with a camera (Though, TOEI was actually the one being more faithful there). 8O