• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Series Discussion Thread

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Oh yeah and also the series has a nice new atmosphere to it too which is different to the cheery, fun, and bright tone in ARC-V

I like the tone of VRAINS so far compared to Arc V's (and Zexal's even) as well. At least things seem darker and slightly more mature right now, but it might not last once the cast and main plot is established.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I haven't caught an episode of this yet but it sounds interesting. I never managed to catch 5Ds when it was airing and ZEXAL had problems in that its protagonist was unable to lose important duels due to the nature of the plot. I'm watching ARC-V right now, but it seems like people were disappointed by the ending. That doesn't usually bother me though, so it sounds like I'm in for a fun ride.

Side note: I bought some cards today, got Supreme King Zarc and Supreme Gate Zero in the first pack I opened, Metal tron XIII in the second, and Flower Cardian Lightflare and Zoodiac Tigermortar in a later pack.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Side note: I bought some cards today, got Supreme King Zarc and Supreme Gate Zero in the first pack I opened, Metal tron XIII in the second, and Flower Cardian Lightflare and Zoodiac Tigermortar in a later pack.

Speaking of which, Zoodiac Hammerkong made a cameo in the first episode, which makes me hope that we'll see more Zoodiac monsters in VRAINS. :3

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So Speed Duels have a new set of rules from 5Ds. Also Skill seems to be like a Z-move of sorts - once per game effect that you can use for different effects. I'm somewhat interested in the strategic abilities one could utilize from this and forgoing one skill that may help short term for one that will help long term or develop a innovative plan.

Thankfully Blue Angel has returned the favour of saving Playmaker.

Duel was pretty good once Yusaku got going. I did like how it shows Yusaku is aware of his opponents reactions. He also seems to have a 'three' thing going on, with his trap and reasons to win.

NeoDude-5000

I liked the duel, I actually feel like trying out Speed Duels (maybe using Duel Links). The skill mechanic seems interesting I wonder if each duellist will have their own unique skill. But I think it might VRAINS' take on Action Cards for plot demands.

Also V-JUMP news is here, also I think they're shortening the Graveyard as GY

Circuit Break, contains cards that Revolver will use and I got a feeling that Topologic Bomber Dragon (I think I spelt it right) may not be his ace: https://ygorganization.com/vjmp-circuit-break/
Duelist Pack: Legend Duelist, new Cyberdarks, Vehicroids, and cards to support that new Water Dragon monster: https://ygorganization.com/soroidshavetheirownautobotcity/
Structure Deck, the ace fittingly enough is called Encode Talker: https://ygorganization.com/letsencodebeforewedecode/ (also Bittron has a brother called Digitron)
And finally some anime stuff including that mysterious woman's identity: https://ygorganization.com/indianaema/

Akashin

I liked the duel, I actually feel like trying out Speed Duels (maybe using Duel Links). The skill mechanic seems interesting I wonder if each duellist will have their own unique skill. But I think it might VRAINS' take on Action Cards for plot demands.

Even if it does, at least this time around it's a once-per-duel thing and we won't see duels centered on Action Card spam. I'm more worried that there will be convenient placements of Data Storms every time Playmaker is in trouble and needs to pull a new card from nowhere (I'm assuming that at the very least he keeps Decode Talker and won't be plucking it from a Data Storm every time he needs it).

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
speed duels are slowing the game even more. But hey, it may turn duels more interesting. Skills are just asking to be abused as deus ex machina but at least it's only once per turn so no action card BS. Link summoning is also being nerfed in speed duels. So there's 5 monster zones total counting both extra deck zones. But only 3 backrow meaning pendulums are pretty much dead in the anime. I will be very surprised if they ever come up. Overall it was a good episode and i'm seeing a lot of plot points going forward. yusaku wasn't how i imagined at first but at least he's sharp and smart. He notices the opponent's tactics and acts accordingly. I'm looking forward to even better quality duels.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I have to say, I didn't like the Opening theme when I heard it last week, and my opinion of it got worse when I listened to it a second time. What's with the newer Yu-Gi-Oh! anime having such generic, unremarkable songs?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Episode 2 of Vrains caught my attention because of the duel. The duel was much slower then usual but I liked that. If Link Summons and these speed duels slow down the game for the anime then good, which is ironic because they call them speed duels. It was refreshing seeing Playmaker not pull out his ace monster in the first turn even if the Knight of Hanoi did and of course that monster has 3000 attack points. It's not a Yugioh season if the first monster's not 3000. The data storm thing looks like the new Action Card but so long as they don't spam it like Arc-V did then I don't care. I just enjoyed the slower paced duel and could actually follow the duel itself. I did laugh at the end when he told the Knight he didn't deserve to call himself a duelist. Well not everyone has a AI telling him how to win and a well timed data stream. Overall this episode sold me on Vrains. If they can keep duels like this then I won't have a issue with duels.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked the second VRAINS episode cuz the duel itself was good. I didn't necessarily like when Playmaker grabbed Decode Talker from the twister, but the Link summoning animation was so cool and I liked when Blue Angel helped Playmaker. :]

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Into the Vrains episode 3. Another duelless episode. I kinda like that we don't get a duel every episode as it lets for world building. SOL tech is just as mysterious as the Knights of Hanoi. I'm curious what the overall story is leading us. Interesting how both Yuusaku/Playmaker and Revolver both do that 3 point thing and name them off. Surely there is a connection there that we'll learn later on. It was amusing that Blue Angel turned on Playmaker after the duel. She owes him nothing in her mind and probably just wanted a duel like Gou. Gou's the wrestler duelist guy right? As a Pro Wrestling fan myself I should quite enjoy Gou. I bet he'll be more over then Roman Reigns (WWE joke there) Can't wait to see Gou's dueling, more of Blue Angel and Ema, and Yuusaku's classmate who's name escapes me at the moment. He's turning out to be a much better character then I expected. Vrains in general is keeping me entertained. But careful. Arc-V started off just as exciting and look what happened. So I'm staying on guard.

Edit: Forgot to mention how I like the Cyverse cards. I hope they are as wide a variety as the Elemental Heroes were. I haven't enjoyed a main heroes deck theme since the E-Heroes.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
i don't know about episode 3. I think i'll have to watch it again but in general i was bored. but i'll give my opinion after the rewatch.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well I thought that episode three was kind of iffy in that we didn't get a duel, but I did enjoy how we saw Go's angst as well as Akira and Ema being properly showcased. Ignis manipulating the house cleaning robot will likely lead to trouble next hee hee. ^^

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
i don't know about episode 3. I think i'll have to watch it again but in general i was bored. but i'll give my opinion after the rewatch.

IMO, it was mind-numbingly boring. Like holy crap, even Zexal's third episode wasn't this bad. I kinda liked Gou's home, though. Gou seems cool.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
IMO, it was mind-numbingly boring. Like holy crap, even Zexal's third episode wasn't this bad. I kinda liked Gou's home, though. Gou seems cool.

I think Go's decent enough, tho it seems like he's meant to be Yusaku's rival, in which case he's my least favourite rival character from the whole franchise in terms of design.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Episode 3 is kinda "boring" because it is entirely an explanation episode, no duel at all.

On the other hand, I think it's better this way, they actually handle plot points immediately one by one, instead of Arc-V's style of shoving most of them much later on with rushed explanations and somehow still managed to leave unanswered questions.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Into the Vrains episode 4. I'm really enjoying Vrains thus far. 4 episodes in and I'm not my usual bitter self yet. I liked what the episode did for Go's character. Maybe it's just me but I was rooting for Go in this duel vs Playmaker. His backstory with these kids and such is pretty interesting. I'm curious how the duel will go, pardon the pun, and what will happen in this hell in a cell duel. Who will the kids ultimately root for? This feels like a legit wrestling match with a babyface and a heel, but who will turn? Overall good episode. The duel was kinda slow but it'll continue next episode so I won't complain.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Episode 4 was kind of cool cuz we saw what motivates Go's dueling and I liked the fact that he lets himself take damage on purpose to make an unexpected comeback. I disliked the cage tho cuz it's so obvious that Yusaku's friend will get rid of it regardless, so it's just a nuisance.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I'm really not feeling duels in VRAINS so far. Moreover, the duel visuals just feel boring. Like, everything feels really static or lifeless. I don't know how else to describe it.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm really not feeling duels in VRAINS so far. Moreover, the duel visuals just feel boring. Like, everything feels really static or lifeless. I don't know how else to describe it.

I know what you mean. Speed duels are supposed to be fast paced, but so far they don't seem that exciting cuz the animation looks kind of stiff in some parts, plus I think the Link summoning animation sequence should be much shorter. ^^