• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Series Discussion Thread

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Rest in Peace, Kazuki Takahashi... Your legacy will never be forgotten.

Red and Blue

The original Yu-Gi-Oh manga and anime where some of my favorites in anime. Rest in Peace and thank you so much

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Died while on vacation alone. Damn, one of the worst ways to go.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh, i thought it was homicide….
Police said they were going to investigate it for either accident or homicide, but it's looking more like a freak accident. What a horrible way to go, he was on vacation enjoying himself. His body might've been floating out there for a while, too.

Waking up to this news was sad, but dude's a legend, and will live on as such. Rest in peace, Takahashi.

Red and Blue

Apparently he had signs of a shark attack on him when he was found. God that is just so unsettling to think about.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm utterly devastated by the news of Mr. Takahashi's passing. The original manga is among my favorites, and it saddens me to know that the man who created such a masterpiece is no longer with us.

PsychoLogical

Apparently his abdomen and lower body were even devoured by sharks or some other marine animal. God that is just so unsettling to think about.
Tho it was highly likely post-death as sharks don’t normally attack live human beings or eat them for that matter.

jaden767

Amphetamine
I really felt like crying when I heard the news of Takahashi's death. :( He started the Yu-Gi-Oh manga with low expectations and it ended up becoming a worldwide phenomenon. I'm so grateful for all his hard work.

Apparently his abdomen and lower body were even devoured by sharks or some other marine animal. God that is just so unsettling to think about.

Yes thanks so much for providing those gory details of an already depressing death. :rolleyes:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I am kind of disconnected from the franchise but I did watch the dub back when I was on high school.

May his soul rest in peace

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Even though I've fallen out of Yu Gi Oh since Arc V ended (Vrains lost me very quickly and I found it boring) this still makes me feel sad. It's...hard to believe he died, and I'm still in denial. May he rest in pace.

PsychoLogical

Shark bites? That’s a nasty way to go. Nobody deserves that.
He likely drowned. The shark bites were post-death.

Starswirl Pikachu

I still like Arc V better but Yugioh 7 seems ok. Seeing how Rush dueling develops appears to be a worthwhile story to follow. I'm also not opposed to starting off with mostly tribute summoning to introduce everything since past series made the game very complex and convoluted over time.

Fantasian

YGO Sevens ruined the whole franchise. Just look at how inactive this topic is. Even anime boards like MAL and that Neo Ark YGO site don't bother caring about Sevens or the new series that replaced it.

Oh and I'm late but R.I.P to Takahashi. He was a great man who deserved better

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
YGO Sevens ruined the whole franchise. Just look at how inactive this topic is. Even anime boards like MAL and that Neo Ark YGO site don't bother caring about Sevens or the new series that replaced it.
I wouldn’t say that 7 killed the franchise, it was more like the last nail on the coffin.

Ever since Arc-V’s synchro arc, the entire anime made one terrible decision after another. Jack and Crow stole way too much spotlight from the new characters, the Top/Common storyline was a terrible rehash of 5DS without the emotional weight, the prison and tournament arc were ultimately just stalling time because DSoD was siphoning all resources, the XYZ dimension felt pointless since there was nothing to do, the Fusion Dimension incl. the ZARC finale felt like a fever dream and then we got half a dozen of ceremonial battles with an OP Yuya because Vrains was stuck in production hell.

Vrains then had to be delayed, key plot points were rewritten, 6 recap episodes were needed and the series was then rewritten again to end after a rushed and cut third season.

7 simply isn’t appealing to most of the older fans so they dropped it, but from what I’ve heard from people that watch it, the show seems to be decent or it at least not plagued by external problems to the same degree as Arc-V and Vrains.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Vrains then had to be delayed, key plot points were rewritten, 6 recap episodes were needed and the series was then rewritten again to end after a rushed and cut third season.
heck looking back at the early series synopsis, it wasn't just "key plot points", it was the series' entire premise. The old synopsis seemed to be more "shy boy gets help from Vrains' idols to put himself out there more and try new things", which has nothing to do with "hacker on a revenge quest". The first OP and ED's lyrics fit far more to the former as well

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
heck looking back at the early series synopsis, it wasn't just "key plot points", it was the series' entire premise. The old synopsis seemed to be more "shy boy gets help from Vrains' idols to put himself out there more and try new things", which has nothing to do with "hacker on a revenge quest". The first OP and ED's lyrics fit far more to the former as well
Yeah you’re right about that! I remember when Vrains was first revealed the catchphrase of the series was something along the lines of “Take a step forward and try something new”, which doesn’t fit in any way to the Vrains we got.

My theory is that the original Vrains was going to be something along the lines of early GX/Zexal/Arc-V, a more lighthearted show, but then after Arc-V turning into a dumpster fire (I remember that a black screen due to a technical error had better ratings than the Battle Beast arc) the staff decided to do a sudden 180 turn to keep viewers engaged. Early Vrains felt like a B-Tech 5DS, and those similarities were definitely on purpose.

However, I think OP1 fit the series really well, tbh I couldn’t imagine a lighthearted show using With the Wind. While the lyrics don’t seem to fit, this song has this melancholic feel that really hits the spot imo.