• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Series Discussion Thread

J. D. Guy

I followed the card game closely when the tagforce GX games on the PSP were out (until tagforce 3). After that i got duel carnival so i got a little bit of knoledge on the synchro an XYZ monsters. But since then i haven't follow it, even though i have dueling network. But cards come out so often that i just can't keep up, even though i do watch all the anime.

I knew yusaku had a way out since from 5d's onward, graveyard revival became so common. Maybe a special summon restriction deck could be a better strat and harder to counter. Vanity's come to mind.

Yeah, I was just havin' fun with trying to predict down to the card effect based on what was there. :)

An anti-Special Summon Deck would be something. We've had variations and mini-strategies, but nothing so blanket and blatant. Most recently, we've had Revolver's Fire Prison and Beltlink Wall Dragon combo that restricts the flow of Link Summons to its users' favor.

J. D. Guy

For those who might potentially care about such things and who don't mind spoilers from summaries and voice cast lists:

[spoil]
Speaking of Akira, the guy who's practically the main character of the show, for all the screen time he gets and for how he has some of the most robust and consistent interactions among varying characters in the cast, he'll be Dueling for episodes 18 and 19. Finally, at long last!

Can you guess against who? Times up. It's Yusaku.

https://dueldeegao.wordpress.com/

A link to a guy who's been translating relevant VRAINS Anime episode info. Feel free to bookmark if you're interested.[/spoil]

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Yay, blue angel is back. and she's fighting the same pecking strategy she has. Trickstars seem to be amazing against 4000LP but i doubt they'll have as much steam going against double that amount. All those chain effects made me think "if only blue angel had chain strike", it would do damage at least times 4. It would be a great card to add to her deck. The continuous spell card of the AI would also be an amazing addition since she always do chip damage, meaning it would be extra damage always on the field.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
What a delightfully good Vrains episode. Did anyone know when a Trickstars deck wins a duel a Blue Angel gets her wings? Burn damage. Lots and lots of burn damage in this duel and I loved it. I don't like dealing with burn decks myself back when I played but it's always fun watching two duelist try to out burn each other. Blue Angel and her theme slay the episode. So entertaining. Oh and Playmaker dueled too...if only he had a charismatic theme like Blue Angel's. The AI duelist stayed true to what they were. No trash talking, no personal interaction. All business. It's to be expected from machines. But I'm so excited for next episode. Playmaker vs Akira? Yes!

Do you think we should put up a lost poster for Go? He's clearly gone missing.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
That was hype. Another different kind of deck, this time, flip effect, and more info on what happened to both zaizen and aoi. And firewall is back! I likes this episode a lot and next week we'll know more about that incident. I feel this series has gone the 5d's 1st arc path, where it's entirely focused on playmaker's search for the truth of 10 years ago. While it doesn't have as much world building as 5d's, i'm enjoying it fully and i'm hoping it will expand in the next arc.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Secrets! So many juicy secrets in Vrains. What happened in this incident? And will Playmaker have a berserk mode? I hope not, but he certainly showed a angry side today. So did Kusanagi. And we got some delicious backstory on the Zaizens. Little Aoi was so adorable. There's no way a guy like Akira can be a bad guy. Even if he's working for Sol tech. He's also a pretty good duelist. I wonder if he'll be as tough as Revolver? Because this feels like another blockbuster duel about to take place. Time to watch the madness unfold in Vrains.

NeoDude-5000

Yay some backstory! Hopefully we get more of it next week. Zaizen's deck is pretty interesting, we all know how tricky these Flip monster decks can be

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Tindangle is a weird archetype, its effect also works on opponent's monsters, but in a world where everyone's ace is a monster that can't go Defense....

Also, I like how the production staff remember this is the first time the Zaizen siblings see Firewall, and put in that shocked reaction from Akira after seeing Playmaker getting out a Link 4.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Whoa! Just whoa! Another jaw dropping Vrains episode. The duel is cool and all but the Yusaku/Playmaker backstory was so interesting. No wonder he doesn't like to duel for fun or anything. I can't wait to learn about this Hanoi Project and who's behind it all. Who is Yusaku trying to save? What will happen in this duel? Will we get answers? I can't wait for the next episode. Vrains is so good right now!

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Best episode so far. Not only we got a chilling kidnapping incident involving yusaku and his friend's still traumatized brother but we also got his helper, which if it's not revolver, i'll be shocked. Meaning next up after finding out the truth, yusaku is going after revolver. The knights of hanoi may be the hanoi project realized. They experimented on those 6 and with their results perfected something that, while i don't know what it is, it made revolver be able to use data storm and pull out monsters from there. Oh and the culprit? if it's not an unknown party, it has to be SOL. And man, akira doesn't play around. while being 2 backrow cards in an already short board, there's very few things that can defeat his strategy. For once, and the thing that never happens and pisses me off since 5d's is the simplest too, backrow destruction. But in yugioh anime, there are no such cards as MST or any equivalent so the only other strategy is battle damage. Now imagine akira's side all set, with regular hound, fusion hound and angel on the board, with another copy of hound and angel on the grave and both protection backrow cards. Hound's effect reduces the attack of link monsters making it almost impossible to beat the combo. I like it. It's going for an hardened obelisk strat and that's pretty good.

NeoDude-5000

Project Hanoi... So I'm guessing it involved abducting young children and recruiting them into the Knights of Hanoi at least that is what I reckon. I think VRAINS is starting to have a better plot than ARC-V's

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
And here we go, a dead man, who's resurrected, is behind it. Weird that he wants the network world destroyed if he himself is only living through it (as far as we know) but if it's an ideological goal he's fine with erasing himself once his mission is done. And his mission, i think, is the destruction of all sentient AIs, from which AI is the soul survivor. We still don't know the status of the other 4 but i think it's safe to say they are either hidden in the protagonists or they are dead.

Another incredible episode with a lot of world building and for a moment, i thought Emma actually tricked everyone and yusaku wasn't gonna find out anything yet. That would have been amazing duping by ghost girl. Still, they figure SOL had a rogue behind the tragedy that befell them and are now going after revolver. The build up is excellent and this series is showing as much promise as arc-V did in the beginning.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I wonder how they're going to top the "Duel Monsters is serious business" theme that's just been increasing with each series
* Yugioh the Original Series-Duel Monsters is this new game that happens to have connections to dark magic and actual monsters
* Yugioh GX-Duel Monsters is popular enough a game/sport/whatever there's schools for it
* Yugioh 5Ds-Duel Monsters is responsible for a new energy source, and has become so influential in a possible future they destroy the world
* Yugioh Zexal-Duel Monsters are connected to the fundamental underpinnings of the universe
* Yugioh Arc-V: Duel Monsters is important on a multi-universal scale

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Into the Vrains 20. Good episode. Yugioh Vrains is slaying it. It almost makes me want to try and get back into the card game. Almost...that game is too complicated for ole Platinum Fan and his GX era dueling. But good episode. Playmaker vs Akira. I was actually a little more into this duel then I was the Revolver one, even though this one was shorter. Which is good. Both the Akira and Revolver duels delivered. Nice conclusion for all parties involved in this duel. The Akira and Blue Angel moments at the end were sweet and heartwarming. Now that Playmaker has his lead on the Hanoi Project and who was behind it what happens next.

Anybody else getting Gozaburo Kaiba vibes from our villain? Like dead in the real world but alive in a cyber world. I can't be the only one who thought that.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Next episode previews have come out, and it confused me. Looks like they're going to do a completely different thing now?

Episode 22: 漆黒に染まる日輪 – Shikkoku ni Somaru Nichirin
(The Pitch-Black Sun)
Yusaku and co. investigate a mysterious phenomenon known as “Another,” where the victims can’t log out of LINK VRAINS and stay unconscious in the real world. They successfully identify who the next victim might be using the data they collected. In order to prevent more damage, Yusaku and co. decide to take action.

Episode 23: ゲノムの巨人 – Genomu no Kyojin
(Genome’s Giant)
As he fights against Doctor Genome, GO Onizuka has no choice but to Duel as a heel, doing whatever it takes to win…

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Skip this one because it's another recap episode. Nothing of value is learned. At least next time, Go is reappearing. Let's see what his character develops to.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
What i find odd is the seriously catastrophic consequences that are not at all able to be stopped by any authority force meaning yusaku has to do it. Teenagers are in a permanent coma, with their consciousnesses stolen and held captive. No warning from the government or from sol technologies has been issued. Nothing is being done to stop this. The moment that they noticed it they should completely shut down link vrains and hunt the knights of hanoi. And by the looks of it it's very simple for a mind to be stolen too. Nice job security team.

Also, something that came off the recent episode, now that go has turned heel, the similarities to the gen 7 starters get even better. We now have blue angel that's an idol just like primarina and go is a wrestling heel just like incineroar. And ghost girl, while not an archer, is a ghost, like decidueye XD. Funny coincidences.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'm late to the Vrains party. Been on a mini vacation I have and now I'm back just in time for some Yugioh Vrains episodes. So apparently Go is back and turned heel to battle this new Knight of Hanoi, Genome? Is that his name? It was a cool duel. All about DNA in duelist. This guy needs to duel Tyranno Kenzan from GX. He'll give you DNA alright. It's interesting that Go put the identity of Playmaker on the line in this duel. So Yusaku has a personal stake in it and probably needs Go to win. Hence why next episode he'll be showing up in Link Vrains. Wonder what's going to happen.

On another note dueling just seems to get more and more violent each and every season. It makes me wonder why people play duel monsters live like this? Someone always gets hurt. Dueling is a natural hazard.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Interesting that Yusaku accepted Go's offer to work together. Perhaps it's because Go managed to turn the duel around and won against a Hanoi "admin", so now Yusaku know Go is indeed strong enough to take on Hanoi.

Also, turns out Ignis like his "Ai" nickname lol

Next episode seems like it will be centered around Aoi. Thinking about it, in real life she's even more closed to her surrounding than Yusaku, and this episode makes it even clearer by showing Aoi in school completely ignoring everything other than Playmaker's appearance. My guess is that the next episode is the episode where she finally be more open, at least to Akira - she practically has to since I bet she will be the one dueling Vyra, and Akira will see the duel.

Episode 27 might actually still be a continuation of the duel, since Go had 2 episodes, it only makes sense if Aoi gets 2 episodes as well. Besides, the title implies the turnaround moment of a duel, the kind of title usually only used when it's a duel continued from last episode.

And with that, both Go and Aoi would be defeating one Hanoi "admin" each. I bet the last "admin" (Faust), is being saved for Yusaku.

Also, something that came off the recent episode, now that go has turned heel, the similarities to the gen 7 starters get even better. We now have blue angel that's an idol just like primarina and go is a wrestling heel just like incineroar. And ghost girl, while not an archer, is a ghost, like decidueye XD. Funny coincidences.

Albeit less direct, you can make the Decidueye reference to Yusaku as well, with him being a silent and more "dark" kind of protagonist, kinda like an owl.

Honestly, for whatever reason, Pokemon, Kamen Rider, and Yugioh, sometimes has something in common between them.