1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by Blaze Master X, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

Tbh, Yusaku reminds me of Yusei given his intellect and serious design. I wonder if this means he'll also be a Mary Sue who will never lose on-screen. :p

2. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Hey, Yusei lost against Kalin Kessler.

...oh wait, he crashed his D-Runner for the sake of not losing.

Welp.

3. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

Eh, at least Yusaku's dragon ace isn't a dragon for the Type printed on the card.

Also interesting that Proxy Dragon exist. Guess we finally get a main protag whose ace has an actual "baby form".

Closest we ever have is Neos Alius who is game original and more like Neos' child than a baby form, and Hope Roots which is still treated as an upgrade despite having lower Rank and ATK.

Now to see if it appears in anime.......

4. NeoDude-5000

NeoDude-5000 Well-Known Member

More VRAINS details including staff, music and the plot

Link to the detail: https://ygorganization.com/finallymydigimonandyugiohfanficisareality/ but if you can't be asked to go there here is the plot:

"There is a city where network systems have evolved: Den City(デンシティ ). In this city, with the advanced network technology developed by the corporation “SOL Technology”, a Virtual Reality space called “LINK VRAINS” has been developed, and in this VR Space people became excited over the latest way to Duel.

However, in 『LINK VRAINS』, a mysterious hacker group that hacks via Dueling has appeared: ハノイの騎士 (The Knights of Hanoi). Their goal is to destroy the “AI World” known as “Cyberse” that exists somewhere in the depths of the Network.

However, there is one Duelist who stands against the threat to 『LINK VRAINS』. His name is “Playmaker”. He has become famous in the Network World for crushing the “Knights of Hanoi” in fierce Duels, without mentioning his name. But the true identity of “Playmaker” is ordinary high school student “Fujiki Yusaku”, who pursues the “Knights of Hanoi” that appear in VRAINS in order to find out the truth of an incident that happened in the past."

Unsurprisingly the villains are a hacker group like most cyberspace set shows

5. p96822

p96822 Evolve me please

I really don't know what to think about Vrains yet. I hope that it better then Yugioh Arc V

6. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I think he'll be slightly more balanced and I'm glad that he seems kind of low key compared to Yuma and Yuya cuz a stoic protagonist after two series felt overdue hee hee. Hopefully Yusaku manages to stay interesting for more than one season.

7. Shine

Apparently LABO will air today this evening (Japan time), let's see if we'll get a footage that includes the characters' voice.

And perhaps what the dueling looks like, because so far what we've seen is just artwork, or Yusaku floating randomly.

8. NeoDude-5000

LABO did air and apparently the duels will done in the Speed Duel format, the same format used in Duel Links (hmm coincidence I'm sure...).

So to those who don't know basically the rules change slightly, these include:

4000 LP (not anything new for the anime)
    4 cards in your starting hand
    20 cards in the main deck
    The extra deck can have up to 5 cards
    And 3 monster, spell & trap zones
    Everything else is the same

I bet it will popularise the format

9. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Aww I'm kind of disappointed cuz I dislike the speed duel format and I don't see the benefits of adding it to VRAINS honestly. The anime is supposed to promote the card game, so it's weird how the anime will use different rules than in real life. :[

10. Shine

There is no confirmation yet on whether Speed Duel will be the main way of dueling or not.

Yusaku's Duel Disk has a length that seems to be the same length as the regular 5 zones though, so it can be safely assumed, that the main gimmick, VR Dueling, will still be the regular 5 zones dueling.

Speed Duel might just for regular ground Duel. Kinda like how 5Ds still has regular ground Duel once in a while.

Honestly it makes no sense anyway to only do Speed Duel. Decode Talker has two diagonal Link Markers and one Up Marker, one of the marker would be useless in a Speed Duel setting.

11. NeoDude-5000

I think the format will be used for the VR duels and normal duels will use the normal format. I don't like the Speed Duel rules either but at least it won't use spells that never get released or are simply used for plot demands.

12. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

I just thought of something. Those speed duel rules along with Pendulums being demoted to the spell/trap zone is a pretty big kick in the balls for anyone using them. Granted, Pendulums aren't in that mobile game (along with anything past DM from what I can tell, which is why I don't bother with it) and likely won't have much presence in Vrains, but still.

13. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

I haven't posted in here yet because I didn't have a strong view on Vrains yet. I still don't right now but it's the current Yu-Gi-Oh series so we'll see what happens. Link summons or whatever...All these new rules is why I just couldn't keep up with the actual card game anymore. But it is fun to watch regardless. Please be good, Vrains.

14. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I'm worried that we might not even see Pendulum monsters in VRAINS like how we didn't see Synchro monsters in Zexal. But I'm hoping that I'm wrong and VRAINS will have all summoning methods shown however. Links seem cool and all, but diversity is better.

15. Shine

Problem is, Decode Talker is meant to be Playmaker's ace, every single scene/image of Playmaker dueling in VR has always been him being accompanied with Decode Talker. If the VR duel is a Speed Duel, Decode Talker won't be at its full potential due to its Link Markers practically built for a normal 5 zones dueling.

Yusaku's Firewall Dragon actually works more in a Speed Duel setting, as far as Link Markers are concerned.

I think it makes more sense to have VR duel, which will be the more common kind of duel, be the normal format, and have the regular ground duel using Speed Duel format.

Besides, Speed Duel is kinda meant to simplify the game, making it easier to learn for newer players before they jump into the bigger 5 zone dueling. Hence why Duel Link uses Speed Duel format.

We know that while Playmaker is a pro, Yusaku seems to be a newbie, or rather, pretending to be a newbie. Yusaku doing a simple Speed Duel with Firewall Dragon while Playmaker takes on the normal 5 zone dueling with Decode Talker sounds just about right, at least to me.

16. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I had forgotten that Playmaker is Yusaku's alter ego. I hope that as the series progresses, Yusaku will drop his alter ego and simply duel with his true identity exposed when he gains more confidence. :3

17. Shine

18. magma grunt edu

magma grunt edu casual hardcore fan

New thread, new hopes. Arc-V started strong so let's keep that good habit. The only thing i want Vrains to get as far away as possible is any plot convenience in the duels. No more of the same 3-4 life saving action cards that plagued yuya's duels. Please keep the duels as "normal" as possible. Zexal's augmented duels were cool, Vrains's duels look like zexal's on steroids. And of course, for a change, give us a good and consistent female duelist, hero or villain. We need more of those.

19. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I don't think we'll see Action Cards or anything similar in this series, at least I hope not. As for the female duelists, I won't even keep my hopes up after seeing how all the others have been handled. :[

20. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

Lol, that's asking for a lot given the whole VR duel setting and hover boards. :p