• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Original Yu-Gi-Oh ftw.

Vernikova

Champion
I used to watch but then I lost the channel it aired on due to money disputes and I never got into it. It was pretty bad so I don't think I missed anything.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
Let's all discuss our favorite iteration of the best card fighting anime. This covers season 1 and two.
So by season two you mean ZEXAL II?
If so what do you think of
IMO There is definitely more to the kid then meets the eye. He obviously will play some kind of important role later on, but whether or not he's actually is on Yuma's side is questionable. I would rather have him stay a genuine friend and ally of Yuma's than to betray Yuma and Astral later on, because that seems a little too cliche.

There are some rumors going around that Rei is actually another emissary from the Astral World sent to help Yuma and Astral collect the rest of the numbers and protect them from the Barian. I like that idea, but we'll see.

When ZEXAL first started out, I'll admit I was very dubious of it, but I wanted to give it a chance. I wouldn't have believed it when I first started watching, but the ZEXAL series has become my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! Series.
ZEXAL was also the first yugioh I started watching subbed before the english dub came out. And am I glad I did that. The dub is garbage, but you all probably know that. If I was first exposed to ZEXAL from the English dub I'd probably not like it as much as I do now.
The thing that irks me the most is pronouncing ZEXAL as Zex-Al instead of Zale, but it's not that big of deal.
I was interested in how the dub would localize Yuma's "Kattobingu!" which became "Feelin' the flow" I know Kattobingu doesn't have a correct translation or meaning, but it's implied to mean "I'll try my Best!" "I won't give up!" or "I won't lose hope!" But "Feelin' the flow" doesn't give me that same impression. OK that's enough of my dub ranting.

So what do you all think of Rio?

Last edited:

SmartD

I've seen the newest Yu-Gi-Oh! series. It looks pretty neat with the Xyz Monsters. I've watched the new dub episode today, it was the one where Cathy duels a dog, but it was really a girl, and in the end, the girl wins. And the episode was littered with cat and dog jokes. I wonder who voiced the dog girl in the dub.

I think Shingetsu is going to be that one guy who always annoys the protagonist by fanboying over him until the big bad kills him to get at the MC, then in death he gets the respect and adoration he never got while alive.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
...Oh dear, it looks like OP got the boot.

So what do you all think of Rio?

I... Rio. Just. Rio.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get my hopes up, even knowing that Zexal's producers must have known she was a dark horse in the fandom. But then 79 and 80 completely sold me on her, starting with that A+ reaction to Shark dueling to rescue her ("You better not lose in front of me. It's unacceptable."), and then her entire actual debut. She was established as someone who doesn't like being considered an extension of Shark -- not "Shark's weakness," not "Shark's little sister," but Kamishiro Rio. The whole thing with her being good at everything she touches makes me think that perhaps underneath it all, she has some terrible self-esteem issues based on how she's being compared to her brother all the time, and not evaluated as her own person.

Also, she's gorgeous and her outfit is amazing. What a babe.

I'm really liking the Barian world people, too. Gilag is amusing and quite frankly adorable with how much he secretly really wants to socialize with people and be One Of Us, and Alit is... god, how can such a dorky character be so great? I can't wait to see what Misael's deal is. And... Rei is probably going to turn out to be a double agent of some kind, either for Barian or Astral. I can't tell at this point, but there's clearly something fishy going on with him.

The ending sequence, also. GIVE ME KAITO AND HARUTO AND ANNA BACK, ZEXAL. Auuuugh.

Also, kattobingu isn't even a word in Japanese; it's a constant thing that everyone who hears it in the show has no idea what it's supposed to even BE, much less what it means. Swapping phrases is probably the closest thing they could do, so I can't say I'm disappointed with that.

MedicalSledgeHammer

AveragePokemonFan
I'm going to keep it short and sweet, watch the Japanese subtitles. Japan does it way better, and finishes the series. 5Ds was abruptly cut off, and didn't end the way it was supposed to. They wanted to rush to get to ZEXAL. I like the series, except I just watch the Japenese version instead of the English. You won't regret it.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I watched a few episodes of Zexal and really didn't like them. I don't know. It's just not my thing I guess. And I watched subbed episodes by the way, so no. It wasn't because it was the dub or whatever.

vodor

Banned
Seriously , When will Anna Show up ???
She's seen in both Opening and Ending but she only appeared in 2 episode.

SmartD

I watched today's episode of the dub. Hart runs away and Yuma and Tori find him, but he runs away again later. And one of Vetrix's guys capture him. Poor kid, he needs his brother, Kite.

BlueDragonfangirl

I'm going to keep it short and sweet, watch the Japanese subtitles. Japan does it way better, and finishes the series. 5Ds was abruptly cut off, and didn't end the way it was supposed to. They wanted to rush to get to ZEXAL. I like the series, except I just watch the Japenese version instead of the English. You won't regret it.

Yah I don't get the point of even getting the rights to Yugioh if they aren't going to finish them. Whats the point in rushing it if your just going to end it for another? Do they have fun ticking fans off or what?

I haven't watched of this new series, every ones hairstyle keeps getting weirder and weirder as series goes by :p
I'll try to give it another shot.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
The thing that irks me the most is pronouncing ZEXAL as Zex-Al instead of Zale, but it's not that big of deal.

It's not even "zale" in Japan, it's "zeal" (zearu).
Zeal is an actual English word that means fervor, passion, or eager desire. Which perfectly fits Yuma.

Seriously , When will Anna Show up ???
She's seen in both Opening and Ending but she only appeared in 2 episode.

it's not like that never happened before anyway :rolleyes:

and yay Kotori finally duels.....plus point for somehow being hypnotized into a Barian Messenger and use Rank Up Magic in her Duel against Yuma.
lol Gilag, dat awkward situation because he has to join the Duel against Kotori & Cathy

Still, Yuma needs to start using other Numbers instead of just his No. 39 King of Wishes, Hope.......

Regarding Rei

well, looks like he is someone from the Astral World after all

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Re: episode 88 summaries, I'm still not entirely convinced Rei is from the Astral World, or even safely able to be considered a good guy. There's a lot of possibilities: he could be an unwitting spy for Barian for some reason, but with his own agency; he could be Durbe, as a number of people are beginning to speculate; or, hell, he could be a gigantic red herring intended to make us think something else (Z-ONE done right, anyone?). He's a cute character on his face, but I'm not ready to draw conclusions until we actually get some more palpable foreshadowing...

I'm sort of interested to see if Rio will make good on teaching Kotori how to duel, actually. Since Yuuma's kind of graduating out of the position of newbie, it would sort of make sense for Kotori to take over that slot. I think it'd be helpful for her character, too, since her main conflict seems to be that she feels helpless in her inability to duel, while everyone else around her can hold their own in potentially life-threatening situations like that. She's resourceful as hell and not the type to sit on her hands, so I'd actually like to see it go somewhere.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Considering Kotori already duels in the last episode, it's unlikely we will ever see the teaching process, not to mention it is kinda way too late now for something designed for newbie. Those things are more suitable for the first few episodes.

Still, apparently there will be a special show about ZEXAL outside its usual time slot, and the special show will also have a segment for teaching newbies how to Duel, maybe they'll show Kotori & Rio there.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Can't believe it took brainwashing for Tori to finally pick up a deck,but at least it FINALLY happened.Seriously hope it ain't a one time thing.

I miss Anna.

SmartD

Watched the latest episode of the Zexal dub. Kite and Yuma tracked down where Hart is being held and they start dueling Trey and Quattro.

Did anyone watch it?

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Considering Kotori already duels in the last episode, it's unlikely we will ever see the teaching process, not to mention it is kinda way too late now for something designed for newbie. Those things are more suitable for the first few episodes.

Still, apparently there will be a special show about ZEXAL outside its usual time slot, and the special show will also have a segment for teaching newbies how to Duel, maybe they'll show Kotori & Rio there.

I didn't mean it like making Kotori into the new audience dueling-newbie proxy. (She already got to be The Watson for that early on, and has served more as the audience's emotional proxy since then after the usefulness of any Watsons was outlived.) If anything, it would probably be more like a graduation from having the guidelines explained to her, to actually putting them into practice as a developing character. It'd be rather silly to show how she's taught, and a waste of perfectly good plot time, but... still.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Watched the latest episode of the Zexal dub. Kite and Yuma tracked down where Hart is being held and they start dueling Trey and Quattro.

Did anyone watch it?

I don't like the dub, so I watch the sub instead :D

I assume you watched episode 41, so....

dat CG animation for NGEPD's summoning

Born Better

God of Lightning
I watch the sub because it's much further ahead and that's pretty much it.This is also the first yugioh I've watched subbed from begining because I didn't feel like waiting for the dub with that lawsuit thing.I also watched 5Ds subbed from 111 on because I didn't feel like waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.