• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
I am still waiting for yuma to start using more numbers than just utopia ray every duel.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
It's not even "zale" in Japan, it's "zeal" (zearu).
Zeal is an actual English word that means fervor, passion, or eager desire. Which perfectly fits Yuma.
I had a major 'duh!' moment after I saw you post that. Thank you for pointing that out for me.

I found something interesting.
Here's a version of the English dub that never was.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL - The Other English Dub

(AV Sync is off; treat it as a podcast if you will)

“Among the guests of the live stream was Kristi Reed, a veteran of the anime and video game industries for over 10 years and who directed and wrote Durarara!! and Persona 4: The Animation. Reed provided some insight into the much whispered-about Los Angeles dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, clips of which have only been shown at Armageddon Expo 2012 in Melbourne and Auckland.

Prior to the conclusion of the Yu-Gi-Oh! lawsuit last year, the Japanese licensors of Yu-Gi-Oh! were confident of their chances at triumphing in court and taking back the rights to the franchise. Ignoring the court’s warnings not to exercise the rights to a product that it hadn’t yet secured, ADK proceeded to produce its own version of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. ADK tapped Reed to direct the series with an L.A.-based cast, including Johnny Yong Bosch (Yuma), Vic Mignogna (Shark), Richard Cansino (Bronk), Cassandra Morris, Sam Riegel, and Liam O’Brien. After nine months, the result was a full-fledged product that was ready for the airwaves.

“We cast it, we recorded up to 26 episodes of it, we stripped out the music, completely recomposed to picture with two amazing composers, re-sound designed it, reanimated some sequences, and it was one of the most big-budgeted things I’ve ever worked on as far as anime goes,” Reed explained. Oh, and Yuma actually says “Kattobing” in this version, haha.

Dissatisfied with 4Kids’ work and not wanting to do business with it any more, ADK bent over backwards to make sure the L.A. team did well and were happy working on Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Reed described how ADK sent the L.A. team hard drives full of all of the animation layers and After Effect files, giving the American producers full rein to easily edit the video as they needed. Did they want to fix the mouth flaps to better fit the English dialogue? No problem! Did they need to edit an image so the network censors didn’t get on their case? Simple!

Within the American anime production industry, obtaining such resources from the Japanese studios is completely unheard of. The studios are very protective of their properties (and who wouldn’t be?) and licensees regularly need to adapt within the confines of the animation as it is presented.

Of course, we know how the lawsuit ultimately turned out. The Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal anime by 4Kids and Konami with the New York-based cast remains the de facto version of the show, while the version with the L.A.-based cast gathers dust inside a box.”

Source

Dreamy

I didn't really like Zexal when it first started, the character designs made me cringe, but it's growing on me and it's pretty awesome right now, especially the Hart arc.

SmartD

I had a major 'duh!' moment after I saw you post that. Thank you for pointing that out for me.

I found something interesting.
Here's a version of the English dub that never was.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL - The Other English Dub

Interesting. So there was going to be a different dub for Zexal. I didn't feel like watching the whole video, but dub would be totally different with those voices.
(AV Sync is off; treat it as a podcast if you will)

“Among the guests of the live stream was Kristi Reed, a veteran of the anime and video game industries for over 10 years and who directed and wrote Durarara!! and Persona 4: The Animation. Reed provided some insight into the much whispered-about Los Angeles dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, clips of which have only been shown at Armageddon Expo 2012 in Melbourne and Auckland.

Prior to the conclusion of the Yu-Gi-Oh! lawsuit last year, the Japanese licensors of Yu-Gi-Oh! were confident of their chances at triumphing in court and taking back the rights to the franchise. Ignoring the court’s warnings not to exercise the rights to a product that it hadn’t yet secured, ADK proceeded to produce its own version of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. ADK tapped Reed to direct the series with an L.A.-based cast, including Johnny Yong Bosch (Yuma), Vic Mignogna (Shark), Richard Cansino (Bronk), Cassandra Morris, Sam Riegel, and Liam O’Brien. After nine months, the result was a full-fledged product that was ready for the airwaves.

“We cast it, we recorded up to 26 episodes of it, we stripped out the music, completely recomposed to picture with two amazing composers, re-sound designed it, reanimated some sequences, and it was one of the most big-budgeted things I’ve ever worked on as far as anime goes,” Reed explained. Oh, and Yuma actually says “Kattobing” in this version, haha.

Dissatisfied with 4Kids’ work and not wanting to do business with it any more, ADK bent over backwards to make sure the L.A. team did well and were happy working on Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Reed described how ADK sent the L.A. team hard drives full of all of the animation layers and After Effect files, giving the American producers full rein to easily edit the video as they needed. Did they want to fix the mouth flaps to better fit the English dialogue? No problem! Did they need to edit an image so the network censors didn’t get on their case? Simple!

Within the American anime production industry, obtaining such resources from the Japanese studios is completely unheard of. The studios are very protective of their properties (and who wouldn’t be?) and licensees regularly need to adapt within the confines of the animation as it is presented.

Of course, we know how the lawsuit ultimately turned out. The Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal anime by 4Kids and Konami with the New York-based cast remains the de facto version of the show, while the version with the L.A.-based cast gathers dust inside a box.”

Source

Interesting. I didn't feel like watching the whole video, but hearing those voices feels like what if the dub was like that.

I find it really funny how people hate 4kids for ruining the dub but when they lost Pokemon, they raged even harder.

I never actually raged when 4Kids had it, or even minded their dub one bit, but TPCi taking over was mega-rage for me. Got used to it after all this time, but I wish TPCi had just rehired the VAs and the music composers like David Rolfe and stuff. What a shame, but life goes on, nothing can be done. Sure they definitely had their faults with the dub, but rather paint edits and stupid errors over the voice acting and music we get now IMO. XD.

Last edited:

SmartD

I watched "A Dubious Duo" today. Trey and Quatrro summoned their Numbers and rendered Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon powerless. How will Yuma and Kite get out of this situation?

Did anyone watch it?

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I never actually raged when 4Kids had it, or even minded their dub one bit, but TPCi taking over was mega-rage for me. Got used to it after all this time, but I wish TPCi had just rehired the VAs and the music composers like David Rolfe and stuff. What a shame, but life goes on, nothing can be done. Sure they definitely had their faults with the dub, but rather paint edits and stupid errors over the voice acting and music we get now IMO. XD.

In terms of story and editing, Pokemon was one of their better dubs. (Which is kind of saying a lot, since a fair amount did get cut out and changed in the Pokemon dub.) Yu-Gi-Oh was... arguably one of their worst, with the obvious exception of disasters like One Piece. DM was actually the closest thing to decent despite being edited, but GX and 5D's were both watered down to extremes in comparison to the original versions. I haven't even touched the Zexal dub, but I'm not sure I want to at this point...

Don't misunderstand, though, I have nothing against dubs in general. I have various universal beefs with basically all anime dubbing companies ever, some of which are things they could fix and some they really have no control over, and 4Kids really does alienate one audience in favor of another, but I try not to be one of those people. "It's in English, now it sucks!" Eugh.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I decided to check it out and I liked it, I watched dat episode in which Catherine(spelling ?) battles that little dog girl. I liked Catherine's design and therefore she became my favorite character, lol.

LizardonX

Banned
I decided to check it out and I liked it, I watched dat episode in which Catherine(spelling ?) battles that little dog girl. I liked Catherine's design and therefore she became my favorite character, lol.

Huh is it because she dresses like a nerdy cat?

J Ken

RAVE
I hope that Shark doesn't become like Joey, I personally like him better then Kite and see him as a better rival for Yuma. I like Kite but I have grown bored of the rival having a 3000 atk Dragon monster and with the main character having a 2500 atk monster as their main. Does Yuma even realize that he has more numbers then just Utopia?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Yeah....so far one of the biggest complaint for Yuma is that he rarely use any other Numbers. So far the only other Numbers he use are 34 and 17, and 12 at one point.

And iirc 12 is used simply due to the Field Spell currently active at that time, which randomly selects a Number to be summoned, forcing Yuma to actually use his other Numbers.....and guess what, other than 12, the Numbers he summoned are 34 and 17.....again.

He also used 96, but that was when he is being controlled by 96, so I doubt that counts.

Also, we STILL don't know what are those Numbers previously owned by Kaito/Tron family that are now under Yuma's possession.
Seriously, he currently has a total of 24 unrevealed Numbers, start revealing them already -_-

LizardonX

Banned
Yeah....so far one of the biggest complaint for Yuma is that he rarely use any other Numbers. So far the only other Numbers he use are 34 and 17, and 12 at one point.

And iirc 12 is used simply due to the Field Spell currently active at that time, which randomly selects a Number to be summoned, forcing Yuma to actually use his other Numbers.....and guess what, other than 12, the Numbers he summoned are 34 and 17.....again.

He also used 96, but that was when he is being controlled by 96, so I doubt that counts.

I also don't like how he almost always has to go down to 100 LP or close to it every duel, I know it's for Hope Ray's effect and all that but he really should branch out a little. I mean Yugi/Jaden/Yusei all had duels where they just mopped the floors with some rather tough opponents, has Yuma ever done something like that?

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I'm sorry but that show sucks, the game sucks now, the rules are too strict and they are banning all the good cards. The game used to be based on strategy but now it is useless. I'm gonna stick with pokemon for a while...

- the show sucks
I can see why some people would consider Zexal anime sucks.

- the rules are too strict
lolwut. Seriously. There hasn't been any major rule or gameplay change in years, the only quite major one was the fast effect thing, which is easy to understand.

- they are banning all the good cards
All the cards that recently got banned/limited are the broken cards that deserve it. None of them are "good cards" that doesn't really deserve to be on the list. Well maybe The Agent of Mystery - Earth and Spore, but even then they got bumped down from limited to semi-limited just recently.
In fact, they even looks at all those broken TCG Exclusive now, do you know that the OCG banlist actually hits Reborn Tengu and TGU before they appeared in the OCG, simply because the same list is applied for the TCG? They know the TCG needs it, so they do it even though the cards are not on the OCG yet.

SmartD

I wish Hulu would add the rest of the dub episodes. I missed last week's episode because I was away for the holidays.

J Ken

RAVE
The Yugioh ZEXAL II plot is much better. Kite needs more appearances and Shark needs more important battles but aside from that at least Yuma is starting to become worthy of the main character title. The new Barian cards Shingetsu gave him are awesome.

LizardonX

Banned
Honestly i prefer the classic Yu-gi-oh. Its just that for some reason ZeXal never really seemed appealing to me =/ 5d's was also better too.

It's probably because duels in the original lasted longer and had more interesintg effects. The mishmashed cards with super OP spells and traps were better than the swarm til you get a xyz at any cost.

Kunaiman9u9

Magikarp Salesman
I actually enjoy the fact that they put some fumbling loser as the protagonist finally. I mean look at Yugi, Jaden and Yusei. They all had inherit talents when it came to dueling, there was no way someone who was getting into the card game could relate with them. I mean they would be more apt to feel more connected to Joey, Syrus or Leo, the characters who had no talent in the begining but had to work in order to get better. Honestly I like how they make him lose sometimes, after all the "Heart of the Cards" doesn't always pull through. But they could of made him win at least a few more duels in the beginning. Overall, good anime and decent follow up to 5D's

Status
Not open for further replies.