1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by SmartD, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SmartD

SmartD Well-Known Member

Since the anime is out (because it's already Monday in Japan), I took the liberty of creating this thread. Here we can discuss the characters, episodes, and cards of the new Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

2. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

Technically, it hasn't aired yet, but it will in a few hours so...meh. Yeah.

I'm expecting absolute crap.

3. Janovy

Janovy Banned

People should give Zexal a chance. Remember when 5D's first started?

"OMFG, card games on motorcycle, this sucks!"

And by the end, everyone warmed up to the anime, many are sad to see it end. You shouldn't judge the book by its cover.

4. #1 Dragon Trainer

#1 Dragon Trainer Luxray Master

I think they should just stop all this future technology ways to duel and go back to just the duel disk like the original yugioh was or even better yugioh gx i think GX was the Best of the yugioh serires Story Wise

5. xCoinstarx

xCoinstarx New Member

As am I. I think they should just go back to their roots to be honest and crank out some old school Battle City-esque shows with the original characters. 5D's actually sparked hope for the series for me after GX, but ZeXal looks likes it's gonna follow in GX's footsteps.

6. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Remember when they said it still sucks.

7. Sporetox

Sporetox Soul Keeper

Are you serious??? It sucked, if Yu-Gi-Oh wanted a good series they should turn the Yu-Gi-Oh R manga into a short spinoff series.

8. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yu Gi Oh Zexal, Card games in space!

9. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

10. Khybon

Khybon Rub My Belly?

11. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

I have the feeling Hope will first appear on the second episode, and the first episode will be dedicated to introducing characters, and at most the start of the Yuma VS Ryoga duel.

I may be wrong, though.

12. PKMN Trainer Rex

PKMN Trainer Rex ~'3'~ Swalot face

13. Orton155

Orton155 Pokemon Enthusiast

I watched the first episode and it seems that this is going to be less gimmicky compared to duels on motorcycles. Its very interesting because they have returned to regular dueling but they have made it now so duels are totally intergrated into the surroundings and when you put on the 'scouter' you see the world in this virtual land.

I won't watch anymore of this till its dubbed as i don't watch in japanese but I might watch it when it is finally released as a dub.

14. AzzyFox

AzzyFox Elite Trainer

Just caught Episode 1 of Zexal and I like it! Can't wait to see it with subtitles!

15. Crawley007

Crawley007 Well-Known Member

The episode wasn't that bad. It definetely wasn't great but no where near as bad as what people were making it out to be.

Depending on if they make good Exceed monsters or not, Exceeds will make Synchros extinct in competitive play. They're synchros without the need for tuners. Albeit you have to use all same level monsters but small price to pay for being able to use any.

16. storymasterb

storymasterb Knight of RPGs

Ahem... the way Exceeds are now they don't have a hope in hell of making Synchros even slightly less popular, let alone extinct. Particularly the Numbers. Why summon a monster like Revise Dragon which can become 3000 ATK but then not direct-attack when for pretty much the same cost you can summon, say, Brionac, wipe the opponent's field and then direct attack? Why summon Hope when for the same price you can summon Stardust Dragon, Red Dragon Archfiend, Scrap Dragon, any number of infinitely more bang-for-your-buck Synchros?

Sorry, but unless Exceeds get better Synchros will remain the mainstream. And I say that having hoped Exceeds at the very least would be decent and an interesting option.

Anyway, I digress. ZeXal did not make me optimistic when I found out the anime was more-or-less the plot of the manga, because that makes me think FILLER, which YOSHIDA does not do well. No, scratch that, I wasn't optimistic when I found out great-Symbolism-awful-Plot Yoshida was in charge of the series.

That said... it was an okay first episode. I'm sure Yuma's grandmother will become as much of a memetic badass as JACK ATLAS was, Yuma is a fairly good idiot hero (though Aichi from Vanguard takes his 'I'm a noob at this' and does it so much better...), Ryoga is a Manjoume expy with the new (crap) Blue-Eyes... and despite all the fun card cameos I seriously cannot get into this as much as I got into 5D's. Maybe because it's jarring going back to kiddy 'you beat my friend and broke my precious stuff' after 5D's gave us a Well-Intentioned Extremist prepared to nuke a city to save the future. And Aporia and ZETSUBO! And Bruno... alas, poor Bruno...

But seriously... I'm just not impressed with this like I was with 5D's. It's a decent first episode, but it just... I don't know, it just lacks something. It feels like pretty much all of the stuff has been done before and better, Yuma's noob angle is already taken by Vanguard with Aichi, Revise was done better by Blue-Eyes back in DM, Ryoga's angle is the one Kaiba, Manjoume and Jack already did with more seriousness (plus, who can compete with JACK ATLAS?)... and Yuma's idiot hero just screams Judai at me in a loud voice. As does this apparent ten episode Duel streak of his.

So yeah... it was disappointing, really. I liked the scoute... I mean, D-Gazers, it's an interesting concept, but beyond that? Well... at least 5D's had an engaging plot to keep me hooked, even if YOSHIDA sunk that with Episode 149... but I already know what happens in ZeXal via the manga so I don't even have that incentive. I don't know. At this point, I'm starting to think my move to Vanguard was justified. At least the card game in that is A) fun since I haven't seen each game in advance and B) refreshingly new to learn.

17. minumranger

minumranger Tour Guide <3

It was alot better than I thought it would be. The Cameo's of older cards was great. It'll take a while to get used to it after 5D's but I don't think it'll be that bad at all.

18. Dark Exxod

Dark Exxod Porsche Novice

I haven't really taken a liking to any of the new series.The GX anime was awful(the GX manga is infinitely better;it saved GX as a whole,at least for me),5Ds was way too borderline insane(although,it did 'grow on me' to a certain extent),and Zexal looks over the top,too;however,I have yet to see any part of it,therefore,I'll hold further judgment until I can see it firsthand.
    I agree with Sporetox,R would've been a great show;why didn't they make a short arc?They made that short "World Championship" arc,why not R? =(

19. Venomrec

Venomrec Well-Known Member

I didn't like 5'ds but it kinda grew on me, but GX was my favorite series of the franchise, so if zexal is like GX i may like it alot.

20. Crawley007

Crawley007 Well-Known Member

For the most part I agree that the Exceeds shown so far are really bad. But if they got to the point where they were as good as synchros effect wise, they would overthrow them, simple as that. Out of the like..dozen or so revealed Exceed only a few are good right now. The main characters monster Hope isn't terrible. And a little card known as protector of the founders tyrus, is making everyone very hopeful the exceeds will turn out more like him. So at this rate, it doesn't seem like Synchros are going anywhere yet. But they'll eventually suffer the same fate as fusions and rituals. Still exist, but not as well used.