• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Thread

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
I honestly wouldn't bother. I tried.

To put this bluntly, after the train-wreck which was 5D's Episode 149, I lost all hope Yoshida was even capable of anything good. And he's absolutely proven without a doubt... that I'm right. The Numbers plot may as well have 'monster of the week' stamped on it in big letters, the apparent plot with the villains is Arcadia and Divine rehashed with a new hate target, Yuma is too dumb to be true, Kotori is yet another of Yoshida's cheerleader brigade, Shark is the most ridiculous bully I have ever seen...

I don't need to say more. Silent X is just... damned. It's damned by its writer, its premise and above it it's damned by the sheer fact that everything it has is done better by something else, primarily its rival show, Cardfight! Vanguard. Aichi is a more believeable take on the inexperienced noob player. Kai is a much better take on the acknowledged, skilled rival with the edge that his ace Dragon does not utterly suck. Vanguard does not need supernatural weirdness to engage its viewers, where as Yoshida called on the Numbers... just to give us the Monster of the Week plot normally played by shows like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, which at least have the dignity to do it well. There's no real feel of suspense because we know Yuma, despite his stupidity, will never lose. The result is set by the premise.

Whereas, Vanguard leaves room for Aichi to lose without the world being destroyed, or random nude alien person fading away. Simply put, I like the simpler, less weird premise, and Vanguard had the amusingness of random stuff tossed into the series where it's hanging lampshades on itself. Episode 4 of Vanguard has the most crowning example of a series acknowledging its own shipping ever. And Episode 14 gave us the crack-tastic premise of Aichi going to a shop reowned for its 'manliness'. It can be fun and entertaining without resorting to dramatics like 'win or the world dies'.

Since this is turning into a 'WHY VANGUARD IS BETTER' post, back on track. Ultimately, Silent X just falls flat. It seems to rely too much on its record-breaking card game and franchise legacy to carry it, but even fan loyalty can't... it just can't... make up for this mockery. Yuma and Astral are Yugi and Yami MK.2, Kotori will no doubt go the same way as Anzu and Aki (Asuka is debatable), the villains are a rehashed Arcadia Movement without the interesting question of whether Divine was a monster or a good person pushed too far, and the special left me needing a good dose of Code Geass and Death Note to convince me not all Japanese anime relied on tomatoes and things too horrific to describe here to try and be interesting. Ah, Geass, thanks for that. And you too, Death Note. If you ever want to watch the special and haven't already, I strongly advise you, don't. It says something that even the Japanese found it appaling and weird.

But generally ZeXal's problem is that it tries to use stuff from before, but it doesn't do it half as well as the original, its protagonist is utterly unbelieveable (even Judai wasn't this impossible to make sense of), and it's written by Shin Yoshida. The last one must be the most damning statement about YGO I have written, but there it is. If you don't believe me, do recall Episode 149 of 5D's and what you believed before it. Yes. Exactly.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to do more interesting things than rant about ZeXal. Like watch Vanguard. Ah, thank you Akira Ito, for giving my hope in card game anime a nice boost.

Crawley007

I loved Yuma's deck up until they introduced it as a Sound Effect deck. His monters just have funny names. At first, they thought it was going to be a deck about ancient history because of Zubaba Knight. And that would have been epic. Especially seeing as his parents are archaeologists. The only reason I care about the anime at all is because you get an idea of what new cards will be coming out in reality :p

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Actually, his Deck was supposedly based on Sumerian Mythology, before it became apparent he runs monsters with funny names. At that point my respect for him plummeted. And it plummeted to less than nothing once I saw how utterly stupid he was. Even the manga didn't make him look this bad. Urgh. Need some Vanguard.

I wouldn't even care about that, to be honest. Konami has gone off the deep end with Exceeds given the majority are made of fail. The only decent ones right now are Tyras, Disigma, No.34 Computer Beast Tera-Byte and Inverz Roach. And even Roach may still turn out a fail. Though ironically the non-Exceed stuff in Generation Force is kinda good.

Crawley007

Yeah that's what I meant when i said history.
I LOVE that he sucks. It's the only thing Zexal is doing different than the other series.
The only thing I have against exceed is that they're similar to synchros. There are a ton of synchros that suck terribly so there being not many good exceeds isn't surprising yet. Emperor Hope isn't great but I wouldn't put him in the bad category...He's so easy to summon and if you read the manga, you'll know about the cool combo with Double or Nothing (?) or some kind of card, probably getting the name wrong. I have high hopes for them. If they do happen to get good exceeds, then synchro will be pointless. They're so similar except exceeds are easier to get out.

cohenmarioman

Wow it had been long since I was in this thread.

Zexal is looking good, see if you can find cat girl throughout the content ... She is in Rank 5.

Oh, heads up guys. Vanguad didn't get its story started until about episode 7 or 8. Zexal got it started episode 1. Yet, I already know my ZX characters after one episode, yet my VG characters I am still clueless about. I hate Aichi as a main, but love Yuma as one.

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
Sad thing is is that by the time this series ends there will be people saying this is the best series ever.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Yes, there will. Somewhere. Somewhere where the stars do not shine and sense is not seen.

Dramatics aside, there will be the fans who blind themselves to how stupid this premise is, how unbelievable Yuma is and how much of a fail Exceeds are. Unfortunately, every fandom must contend with the fact it will have the stubborn, the determined and the downright insane (giant robot shipping fics are quite the exemplary example of the last one - particularly where King of Braves GaoGaiGar is concerned.)

In our own Pokemon fandom, we have the 'RUINED FOREVER' crowd, who haven't stopped complaining since Gold and Silver, and probably never will. Wherever anything exists, unfortunately, there will be conflict. Human nature breeds strife.

But yes, anyway, ZeXal is currently looking bad for the franchise, and Yoshida needs to be fired. Nothing that new where he's involved. Recall if you will Doma and DAKUNESU.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Sad thing is is that by the time this series ends there will be people saying this is the best series ever.

And they're fully entitled to their opinion.

We also have no idea where the story will go after Yuma has collected the 99 cards (unless that is the entire story which would be a cheap clone of CCS) so I think we should be a little more optimistic. For example, I thought that Yuma would be a slimy, headstrong, whiny character and was proven wrong. Astral fits him quite well. The art has improved since 5D's even though the setting is bland and far too colourful for a YGO series.

cohenmarioman

Yes, there will. Somewhere. Somewhere where the stars do not shine and sense is not seen.

Dramatics aside, there will be the fans who blind themselves to how stupid this premise is, how unbelievable Yuma is and how much of a fail Exceeds are. Unfortunately, every fandom must contend with the fact it will have the stubborn, the determined and the downright insane (giant robot shipping fics are quite the exemplary example of the last one - particularly where King of Braves GaoGaiGar is concerned.)

In our own Pokemon fandom, we have the 'RUINED FOREVER' crowd, who haven't stopped complaining since Gold and Silver, and probably never will. Wherever anything exists, unfortunately, there will be conflict. Human nature breeds strife.

But yes, anyway, ZeXal is currently looking bad for the franchise, and Yoshida needs to be fired. Nothing that new where he's involved. Recall if you will Doma and DAKUNESU.

I have only been back in this thread for a day and already see my negative nancy here. Reading this post seems nothing more than a "Zexal = death of Yugioh" rant. Zexal is breaking new ground Yugioh has never trenched into and it seems to be working. Enjoy it for what it is, and not what it isn't (5Ds replica)

Crawley007

Yeah because you know every exceed that will ever come out right? They have ten times more potential than synchros. IF they make good cards. That's the only if. If you can't see that they're a million times easier to summon than synchros than there's something wrong.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Wow, wow, wow, people. I'm working by what I've seen.

I'll admit, ZeXal may surprise. I'm fully open to that possibility, but I just doubt it. I've seen enough evidence of Yoshida's work on this franchise in the past with Doma, GX Season 4 and the last two-thirds of 5D's to fully doubt he can surprise me in a good way. I apologize if I came across as openly negative. I'm just cynical where Yoshida is concerned because of what happened to the end of 5D's, particularly with Episode 149.

What I've seen of this show so far is not promising. I see a hero with a general lack of intellect which is startling, and while I applaud his 'keep trying' attitude, he gets wearing when he's surprised by a monster he already saw in Shark's Duel with Tetsuo.

As for Exceeds, currently, only four are actually of playable quality, Vairon Disigma, Tyras, No.34 and Inverz Roach. The other Numbers/Exceeds may have better effects, and if so, then I will retract my statement. As for them being a million times easier to summon than Synchros... they're about the same, actually, by my experiences. It's as easy to summon a Level Four Tuner and non-Tuner as it generally is to summon a pair of Level Fours. You can use the same methods, Coelacanth, Summoner Monk, etc to summon Synchro Material or Exceed Materials. And potential... I never denied they had potential. Just that currently they were worth the same investment as Synchros.

Look, if you could summon either Stardust Dragon or Aspiring Emperor Hope, which would it be right now? Stardust, generally, due to having a better effect for the same cost. Hope has a two-use effect which can be depleted in a turn and self-destructs if he's attacked without Overlaid Units. Stardust can negate destruction effects and remove itself from harm in the bargain before returning in the End Phase. The issue here is that currently only four Exceeds are remotely playable, that's all. If better Exceeds are made, then I agree, they will have a lot of potential.

Look, I fully apologize if I came over as overly negative. I commented on what I had seen, and I was not impressed by that. But I'm trying to keep as open a mind as I can with ZeXal, as open as I can with Shin Yoshida's legacy staring in my face. I will watch this series, and if it does improve, then by all means you can expect me to come back and apologize, admit I was wrong and express my regrets. I just don't feel that will be likely. Again, I apologize.

Crawley007

This is true. There will probably always be a few synchros like Stardust that will always be used whether exceeds turn out better or not. Although not amazing, Emperor Hope is playable actually. You can OTK in a gadget deck with it so that's something at least. The only reason right now that synchros might be as easy to summon as exceeds is because tuners/synchros have a lot of support. And most tuners have a special summoning effect that you can get them back. Well the good ones anyway. I'm just waiting to see if they come out with an exceed support card that lets you get back used exceed material monsters. If there is, all those downsides exceeds have will pretty mucc vanish.

cohenmarioman

While I would choose Stardust, most cases Hope will be easier to summon. Hope also combos well with any deck, and has its own spell card it can utilize (the one used in this episode). As early as first turn, I can summon Hope, and be proud of it. Unlike Stardust, there is little to no counter to Hope, as attacks will be blocked, and destruction can easily be negated with Exceed supports. Stardust is very easy to take down by a skilled player.

Crawley007

While I would choose Stardust, most cases Hope will be easier to summon. Hope also combos well with any deck, and has its own spell card it can utilize (the one used in this episode). As early as first turn, I can summon Hope, and be proud of it. Unlike Stardust, there is little to no counter to Hope, as attacks will be blocked, and destruction can easily be negated with Exceed supports. Stardust is very easy to take down by a skilled player.

I definetely agree with you that Hope is easier to get out. Gadgets with Ultimate Offering can fill your field with Hopes :p But I disagree that Stardust is easy to destroy. It's easy to GET AROUND, but destroying it, getting rid of it is a differrnt story. I LOVE that combo you're referring to with Hope. 5000 Atk power Hope is beast.

cohenmarioman

I definetely agree with you that Hope is easier to get out. Gadgets with Ultimate Offering can fill your field with Hopes :p But I disagree that Stardust is easy to destroy. It's easy to GET AROUND, but destroying it, getting rid of it is a differrnt story. I LOVE that combo you're referring to with Hope. 5000 Atk power Hope is beast.

A very commonly run card trumps Stardust 100% of the time, Dimensional Prison (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Prison). Other that work well are Brionic, but that is another synchro.

This page list a good few http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Tips:Stardust_Dragon

Somorio

Waiting for a hound.
Not totally sure if I'll get into this series, but eh, at least the theme song is catchy enough I guess. :p

Crawley007

A very commonly run card trumps Stardust 100% of the time, Dimensional Prison (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dimensional_Prison). Other that work well are Brionic, but that is another synchro.

This page list a good few http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Tips:Stardust_Dragon

Yeah but more than Dprison works on Hope. And there isn't much Exceed support right now. I personally have never used Dprison in a deck. Not sure why. I can't wait until SD21 with Dark Worlds come out. You can abuse Tyrus really bad in that deck, with Dark Worlds two main monsters being lv.5

cohenmarioman

Yeah but more than Dprison works on Hope. And there isn't much Exceed support right now. I personally have never used Dprison in a deck. Not sure why. I can't wait until SD21 with Dark Worlds come out. You can abuse Tyrus really bad in that deck, with Dark Worlds two main monsters being lv.5

Isn't there a "remove material, negate effect" card?

Crawley007

Hmm..I'll have to look over Generation Force again. If there is that makes Hope pretty hard to beat. Imagine if there does come a card that brings back exceed material. Hope would be a scary thing to face.

On the topic of the actual show, i was reading what is supposed to happen in episodes ahead, and i could've sworn i read Yuma using Revise Dragon? Does he win it from Shark when he defeats him?