• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yue Yue dies :-(

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Also, I do not agree with chuboy and the whole bystander argument. There is no way that I would ever be able to leave a run over little toddler laying there on the road. I know for sure that I don't have that in me. Obviously I can't say I know how I would react, but I certainly would have done something about it. Those cruel people walked past like as if nothing had happened...

No, chuboy has it quite correct. Many people are unable to act (or act correctly) in these situations.

In all of my Boy Scout emergency training- CPR, treating serious wounds, etc- the first thing you always do is command a bystander to call 911. You have to point to the person and address them directly. You might scoff at my experience, but the reasons are based off the bystander effect- if you don't act in the situation and order someone to call 911 while you treat the wound (or whatever), people will just watch or in this day and age whip out their iphones and record the event.

Ioneos

old geezer
No, chuboy has it quite correct. Many people are unable to act (or act correctly) in these situations.

In all of my Boy Scout emergency training- CPR, treating serious wounds, etc- the first thing you always do is command a bystander to call 911. You have to point to the person and address them directly. You might scoff at my experience, but the reasons are based off the bystander effect- if you don't act in the situation and order someone to call 911 while you treat the wound (or whatever), people will just watch or in this day and age whip out their iphones and record the event.

EXACTLY. Nobody takes charge, so nobody does anything. If something went wrong, then who was in trouble? The one who did something. Many people wouldn't make such a sacrifice as to be responsible for an infant's death, myself included. Would YOU risk such legal trouble as to be the cause of this, even though you KNEW it was the car?

Calamity™

aka Lamia
If it meant that there was a possibility that the child would live, then yes I would. I'm actually shocked by how many people here are trying to justify why those people did nothing. It actually makes me sick that there are people out there who have it in them to see a toddler dying and do nothing about it. That's seriously f*cked up.

bel9

Explanation =/= Justification

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves

Ioneos

old geezer
I know that what happened was sick, and I know someone should have helped, but nobody DID, and I'm trying to explain why it's part of human nature and that it's not just the Chinese so you racists can go crawl back into the hole you came out of. *huff*

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I don't see how this can be racist towards Chinese people when we're arguing for a Chinese girl. And I'd rather this thread didn't start some flaming war.
The point is that we all seem to have very different opinions, I can understand what you're trying to say. But at the same time I wouldn't apply that to human nature in general, because there are some of us out there who would do anything to help anyone dying.

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
I don't see how this can be racist towards Chinese people when we're arguing for a Chinese girl. And I'd rather this thread didn't start some flaming war.
The point is that we all seem to have very different opinions, I can understand what you're trying to say. But at the same time I wouldn't apply that to human nature in general, because there are some of us out there who would do anything to help anyone dying.

How do you help someone dying? Do you try to keep them alive and, most likely, make their pain worse? Or do you end their suffering as quickly and painlessly as possible?

Ioneos

old geezer
Would dragging her out of the way really save her life? NO. She just got ran over by a van. If you tried to help her and were the last one to handle her before she died, then who's facing a lifetime in prison? YOU.

3lmi

pimping aint easy
I'm actually shocked by how many people here are trying to justify why those people did nothing. It actually makes me sick that there are people out there who have it in them to see a toddler dying and do nothing about it. That's seriously f*cked up.

I am also shocked, even if Yue Yue didn't even have a chance to survive, I still would have called for help/amubulance.

It is just wrong seeing a toddler on the street dying and everyone just continues on with their day...

Calamity™

aka Lamia
^ Exactly. And if the laws state that you can go to jail for trying to help an injured person who dies, then it's quite obvious that the country's laws are f*cked up. Then that wouldn't be this human nature these guys were rambling on about, because now you're saying people didn't help due to legal reasons.

Ioneos

old geezer
Pretty much. Think about it: Who's life is more valuable? Yours or a pretty much dead 2 year old who you don't know and can't save?

bel9

^ Exactly. And if the laws state that you can go to jail for trying to help an injured person who dies, then it's quite obvious that the country's laws are f*cked up. Then that wouldn't be this human nature these guys were rambling on about, because now you're saying people didn't help due to legal reasons.

Why can't it be both ?_?

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
If someone started choking in your cafeteria, would you run over to them and give them the Heimlich Maneuver?

Of course I would. I once gave CPR to a girl I found collapsed on the pavement after a night out, but even after it turned out that she just passed out she was grateful that I even found her. It's the little things like helping out completely unknown people that makes life worth living, and if I went to jail for attempting to help Yue Yue then at least I wouldn't have any regrets about it.
I'd have done the right thing and saved her at the cost of half-sacrificing my own, but at the end of it we'd both be alive, y'know?

Waldorf

ungrateful
It's not the first time this happened in China or elsewhere (but it is a particularly shocking example). In China particularly there was that news story some time ago of an elderly lady who injured herself on a stairway, and after a man came down to help her, she sued him and got like $20,000. So there is probably a culture of weariness and mutual distrust. The Chinese government should pass some laws to protect Good Samaritans, probably.

Radiohead

Human Disaster
^Yeah, if something like that happened here I'd obviously help her. But in a country like China you'll have more chances of being sued, especially as a tourist, I'll probably still help her but I'd think about it before I will. And a country like China has a completely different culture, if I was raised there I probably would've done the same because they were raised with different principles, here it's normal to help complete strangers but I can see how that could be weird in some countries.