• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yugioh Season 0 (Season One in Japan)

Long ago, there was an Anime called Yugioh. As you know, 4Kids ****ed I mean DUBBED over it (censored). People except Kids hated those stupid mother****ers for ruining anime for years (Let Funimation do it, they're 2000000x better compared to 4****ingKids, Viz Media reigns supreme though). Anyways, there was a Yugioh Season that all other parts but Japan call Season 0. It is the best one cause there's less Children's Cardgames being advertised (played). 4Kids hates this Season and decided to **** off of it because of all the **** they'd need to do to **** it up.

[LINK REMOVED]

Here is episode One of Season 0 (THE BEST)

Anyways, here's a warning:

Violence
Cursing (Not that anyone gives 2 ****s)
Maybe some other stuff

Enjoy and feel free to discuss (Please don't close, it's real, just click the link)

Note: Season 2 (AKA, Season One in USA), will make more sense to you if you watch Season 0 (Watch Yugioh in Japanese

Last edited by a moderator:

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Evil link to fansub is against rules.

I watched it about a year ago and I thought it was good. Yugi going serial-killer was just hilarious, and Kaiba has green hair. :D

Lawnmowergirl

Fangirl =/= Weeaboo
I watched the entirety of Season Zero on Youtube and I must say, I really liked it. Not to mention that Bakura is especially smexy in it. Possibly moreso than usual. And I sort of got used to green-haired Kaiba after a while.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Long ago, there was an Anime called Yugioh. As you know, 4Kids ****ed I mean DUBBED over it (censored). People except Kids hated those stupid mother****ers for ruining anime for years (Let Funimation do it, they're 2000000x better compared to 4****ingKids, Viz Media reigns supreme though). Anyways, there was a Yugioh Season that all other parts but Japan call Season 0. It is the best one cause there's less Children's Cardgames being advertised (played). 4Kids hates this Season and decided to **** off of it because of all the **** they'd need to do to **** it up.

[LINK REMOVED]

Violence
Maybe some other stuff

Enjoy and feel free to discuss (Please don't close, it's real, just click the link)

Note: Season 2 (AKA, Season One in USA), will make more sense to you if you watch Season 0 (Watch Yugioh in Japanese
well im glad they dubbed it, i cant stand japanese voices, i dont really care about the censor, an animated serie just cant look serious to me

but i heard about that season, isnt there a japanese movie of it?

ForeverFlame

[LINK REMOVED]

Violence
Maybe some other stuff

"Season 0" sucks and you type like a twelve year-old boy trying to be mature and in fact giving off the opposite impression.

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer

[LINK REMOVED]

Violence
Maybe some other stuff

This series has no connection to the Duel Monsters series at all. In fact, there are a lot of contradictions if you try to connect these two series. Why does Kaiba act like Yugi defeated him the first time back in Duelist Kingdom when Yugi beats him twice in this series? Why is Tea's flashback to her time working in fast food different here than we saw during Duelist Kingdom? Why is Mio part of the group here, but never appears after this series? Why does Shadi appear early on in this series, yet neither Yugi or Atem recognize him when he appeared after Pegasus' defeat? Why does Atem not recognize the evil spirit version of Bakura in Duelist Kingdom when the last few episodes of this series are spent fighting against him? Why are the events in this series never referred to and always different in Duelist Kingdom. So, seeing this series would not help people to understand the events in Duelist Kingdom and onward.

The first series was based around the first seven volumes of the manga. I don't think that it did well, possibly because of the changes they made from the original manga. It wasn't called Yu-Gi-Oh! season zero. That was a fan-made name. It was called Yu-Gi-Oh! and it was produced by Toei. Instead of continuing on with that continuity for the Duel Monsters manga, they decided to end it and just restart the series with the Duel Monster storyline, adding in some events/references from the first few volumes, but not exactly how they were in the first series.

I don't think that 4Kids' attitude towards the series is why it was never dubbed. I believe that Toei prevented the series from leaving their control after it didn't do well in Japan. There also would be some legal issues in trying to do so between Toei and TV Tokyo, the company that produced Duel Monsters. Considering that it doesn't promote the card game like the other series does and all of the contradictions it poses for the Duel Monster series, it wouldn't really make sense to license it and dub it.

I have seen the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series and it honestly didn't seem that great. The first few episodes were interesting since they were new, but the whole routine of someone picking on Yugi/one of his friends and then Atem defeating the villain of the week with the game of the week got kind of stale pretty fast. The first few volumes of the manga that I have read seem pretty good, but this adaptation doesn't seem enjoyable. Plus, Atem sounding like a woman just didn't work for me.

well im glad they dubbed it, i cant stand japanese voices, i dont really care about the censor, an animated serie just cant look serious to me

but i heard about that season, isnt there a japanese movie of it?

Yes, it revolves around a Children's Trading Card that's apparently legendary xP

Lawnmowergirl

Fangirl =/= Weeaboo
LOL, season 0 is looked down upon by most yugioh fans.
Really? I kind of like it for being relatively close to the first seven volumes of the manga, which the second series anime just left up to fabricated flashbacks (or in other words, flashbacks that aren't actually flashbacks).

But I suppose Season Zero has its good points (relative closeness to the manga), its bad points (forgetting to look at cover art to see what color Kaiba's hair is), and its weird points (Miho).

And some pretty memorable moments, too. And some Bakura fanservice, which the second series anime never did. XD

Yu-Gi-Oh is good, but it's not as good as my favorite ****ing anime: Beyblade, which is full of cursing, blood, and noodity. ****'s not for kids and isn't gay *** ****.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Season "nothing" sucked balls in more ways than one. Whoever says it's more violent for its apparent lack of killing and bloodbaths has been playing too much Kingdom Hearts.

But I suppose Season Zero has its good points (relative closeness to the manga), its bad points (forgetting to look at cover art to see what color Kaiba's hair is), and its weird points (Miho).
Pardon my language, but are you ****ing high? o_o The Yuu☆gi☆ou series done by Toei was more unfaithful to the manga compared to the second anime. They skipped a ton of chapters and rearranged/changed most of the existing ones to fit their nonsensical original ideas. Some of it made sense when it came to censoring, most of the changes didn't make sense at all because there's no reasoning behind them. Not to mention, the animation was pretty bad for an anime that aired in the 1990s. The second anime had its fair share of the same problems in lesser proportions, but at least it had character models that (kind of) reflected the original work (even though it didn't really matter since the animation was horse skeet most of the time, and the height difference between Yuugi and Dark Yuugi/Atem never existed in the manga).

... And this is the reason why "season nothing" is looked down upon by fans. It would have been impossible for it to continue because what happens in it contradicts what happens later in the manga, much like it's impossible for NAS to adapt the first seven volumes in their current universe because it contradicts what happened before volume 8. xD

And some pretty memorable moments, too. And some Bakura fanservice, which the second series anime never did. XD
Bakura has plenty of screentime in the manga and is actually treated like part of the Nakama. Toei seemed to love Bakura more than NAS ever did.

Last edited:

cohenmarioman

Being the yugioh fan I am, I can say the 0 anime was faithful to the original manga in that it followed the same nature of dark with comedy, something DM fails to do. What I mean is that it does not focus on one game. Originally Kaz was going to have 4 games, Duel Monsters, Capsule Monsters, Dungeon Dice monsters, and an unnamed game, each be the center of a chapter of manga. However, starting with Capsule Monsters, it seemed to seem Kaz had the right idea. The Toei anime followed this. Once Duel Monsters became the focus, parents sent letters asking for the cards, and then the focus became on the cards rather than the original manga. It was the birth of the most successful collectable card game in history.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Being the yugioh fan I am, I can say the 0 anime was faithful to the original manga in that it followed the same nature of dark with comedy, something DM fails to do. What I mean is that it does not focus on one game.
You do realize that the Magic and Wizards card game (Duel Monsters) became an important fixture during the portion of the manga Duel Monsters anime was based on, right? Granted, it doesn't take it to ridiculous proportions like in the anime, but at least the second anime felt a bit closer to the manga aside from trying to make itself look epic and fail (see: Duelist Kingdom). All three mediums have different feels to them. The Toei anime feels weird-grim, the DM anime feels upbeat, and the manga feels like it takes place in a grim world where criminals run wild and very nerdy gamers are out to take your life and humiliate you. Obviously the Duel Monsters anime isn't going to feel very faithful to the first seven volumes given that they chose to skip it and revamped some of the early chapters into the card game sections to have them be Duel Monsters-related (see: Merchandise Driven), but it's faithful to everything after except for Duelist Kingdom and anything that has to do with Bakura and his dark alter-ego.

Also, the original anime didn't have the dark comedy that the manga had. Dark Yuugi's penalty games are usually changed to something completely unfitting to the criminal. You can see this in the first game of the anime.

Originally Kaz was going to have 4 games, Duel Monsters, Capsule Monsters, Dungeon Dice monsters, and an unnamed game, each be the center of a chapter of manga. However, starting with Capsule Monsters, it seemed to seem Kaz had the right idea. The Toei anime followed this. Once Duel Monsters became the focus, parents sent letters asking for the cards, and then the focus became on the cards rather than the original manga. It was the birth of the most successful collectable card game in history.
No. Kazuki was originally going to have various sets of games be one-shots in the exposition, with the meat of the story giving the games longer story arcs, but seeing as he got more reader letters that talked about the card game more than any other chapter, he decided that the card game would have a larger influence on the manga. But you can see that he uses his original plan in small doses (the DDD saga and the Memory RPG saga).

cohenmarioman

During the Toei anime (and original manga) once the Magic and Wizards game was introduced, parents called asking for the cards. Then Bandai, not Konami, released cards. In 1998, the same time as the first series anime. Years later, 2000 the DM anime aired, and Konami bought the license to the card game, using a system closer to the anime.

ANd Kaz was going to have 4 games, it was in an interview where he stated this. But once the card game took off, there was no point in the other 2 games planned. However Dungeon Dice Monsters got some play in DM.

EDIT: After looking it up, originally Magic and Wizards was supposed to only cover 2 chapters, while another game was going to cover 2 more, and so on. But the card game was popular, and they verged off. If they had not done that, it might never had made it to America.

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Story seems right, except for the part where it's the parents that asked for the cards. I see no reason for parents to WANT their kids to bug them about merchandise, or even care about a fictional Magic The Gathering parody in a manga that wasn't originally going to be a real life card game. It getting the most fan reaction makes more sense.

I say Table RPGs would have been bigger than the card game seeing as it had the second-most chapters and Kazuki Takahashi is an RPG freak. Not to mention, it's one of the only type of pre-volume 8 game to reappear in some form after the card games got two major story arcs.

Last edited:

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
FFF my post did not go through ;w; I have to type my post over again.

My first encounter with this anime was in 7th grade (basically 7th years ago) when a friend handed me a disc containing the first three episodes and the movie (there was also an AMV, but it was meh). I was such a Yu-Gi-Oh fanatic back then. (The first part of my username, "Katsu" derives from Katsuya Jounouchi or Joey Wheeler haha) I remember being amazed at how different it was from the Yu-Gi-Oh I was watching. Well, the movie was an exception. Haha. Though even the movie was different. Red Eye Black Dragon is the ultimate card!"

Anyways, I remember being disappointed that I could only find the first three episodes. In time I completely forgot about it. I did not watch anymore until July '08.

I was addicted! Even though there were changes from the manga (The fact that Miho, a one-shot character, was updated as a main character), I enjoyed it to the end. Hehe. Megumi Ogata makes a smexy Yami.

The BGM for the show is one of my favorites. Too bad that there's no official OST of it so sad, I really loved the transformation music.

Well that's my two cents on it. Haha. -flail-

I'm currently re-watching the series. :)

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I liked the transformation music too, but everything else other than the opening and ending themes (and maybe this series equivalent of "Passionate Duelist") were meh to me and didn't really fit the series as a whole, in my honest opinion (BGM and slightly better character designs were some of the only things I liked about the DM series).

I also thought Megumi Ogata did a good Dark Yuugi, but I hated how she exaggerated the voice differences between him and the regular Yuugi (voices were also one of the only things I praise about the DM series, Shunsuke Kazama is a badass voice actor even if he's mainly a J-Drama actor). I'd take her over Dan Green or the guy that voices him in the Singaporean dub any day, though.

Honestly, if I was given a choice between the three different versions of Yuu☆Gi☆Oh, I would choose the manga because there's absolutely no mood change between the focus of random games as plot devices to moving to the focus of Magic and Wizards as the main plot device. The manga was better-paced, better-drawn, and had the most consistent take on the plot out of the three versions.

On a side note, I like how both studios insist on keeping regular Yuugi the same height as he first appears in both series. Yuugi grows with his other half as the manga progresses, and his legs aren't so awkwardly short.

Last edited:

cohenmarioman

While this was not Yugioh at its best, it did help the series get to a better studio, as it did have potential. NAS obviously was better fit for Yugioh, while Toei was not. I am sure Toei regrets not jumping on the chance.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Yeah. Even though I didn't like how NAS handled the series themselves, if I was given the choice of giving either studio a second chance at redoing the series, I would give it to NAS.

Toei basically threw away another money-maker with their incompetence.