1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Yugioh Zexal

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by cohenmarioman, Dec 14, 2010.

1. kusari

kusari Raptastic

According to the wiki, "An Exceed Summon can be conducted when there are two or more monsters of the same Level on the field. Those monsters can be used as Material Monsters to Summon an Exceed Monster whose Level is equal to the combined Levels of the monsters on the field."

2. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Well-Known Member

Do you know where wikia gets its information from? Janime forums. And that is still unconfirmed.

3. Lorde

Lorde Banned

That's interesting. I rather wait for it to be officially confirmed, but I would like to see how these Exceed Summons work in the anime, if they do exist to begin with. A new type of summon always makes things interesting. Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds had it and that was one of the additions to the anime and the card game that I enjoyed. I can't wait to see what additions the Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal anime has in store for the card game as well.

4. Pinsirius

Pinsirius Sentimental Fool ;)

Yusei has no sole? No.

Okay, so...

1) Is 5D's being canceled?

2) What. Beyblade designs. This isn't even Kazuki Takahashi art anymore. No. I like the 5Ds cast and only acknowledge the first two seasons, this is going to be garbage. I've got to prematurely call it now.

5. cohenmarioman

Kazuki Takahashi drew Yuma up quite detailed, check the issue of V-Jump to see his artowork of Yuma,

6. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

I wonder why they don't go with more simpler designs for their characters. Is there a reason as to why they are always drawn so detailed?

7. cohenmarioman

Takahashi has a tradition where he draws up the wildest doodle, then runs with it as the next lead character. All of his protagonists have been jokes he thought would be good and wild. He mentioned it in one of his blogs.

As for always detailed ... that is the point.

8. DarkMagician12

DarkMagician12 Take My Hand.

Seriously, why another series? Yu-Gi-Oh should have just ended on GX or 5D's.

9. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I agree, but apparently, money makes the world go 'round. I think that's the only reason that they decided to try for another Yu-Gi-Oh anime series. I figure that even though things are starting to get a bit repetitive when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh anime series, we should give Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal a fair shot before we criticize it too harshly. Who knows, it might even be better than GX or 5Ds.

10. garfield15

garfield15 Digi/Pokemon lover

Because it sells cards.
    That wouldn't have helped sell any cards. It's like saying the Pokemon anime should have ended at series...whatever. That doesn't give any promotion.
    Well, I guess since you don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist. Such is life.

11. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

Well...yeah. His resolve to protect everyone very rarely came across. He wasn't exactly a bad lead protagonist...but it just felt like every other member of Team 5Ds had more depth.

No.

Is it ending in April? Yes.

OK I don't particularly like the designs either but that shouldn't make you stop from watching the series. As for plot/characterisation/style? Sure, those would be reasons to discontinue watching. But until you've actually watched it don't judge it.

12. cohenmarioman

NOTE

We have a pretty accurate translation, and it sets up a pretty good duel. I didn't know from before how useful my signature would be until now.

Translation is over at Janime

Uh, Takahashi always designs the main characters, as he has done for Yuma, Shark, Tetsuo. and Kotori.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  13. Pinsirius

Pinsirius Sentimental Fool ;)

Whoa, drummed up more controversy than I intended. But I guess those were some fightin' words.

That explains Yugi to a tee, of course, but there is something a bit... "bright", for lack of a better word, that I'm getting from watching these previews after two entire separate series were largely faithful to his style. The Saio/Sartorius eyes seem to be everywhere lately. I suppose it's a bit of a style shift, his level of detail rose significantly between pre-Duel Monsters and Duelist Kingdom, so it could logically spread out.

Or maybe I'm just being outright paranoid. Which would be sad.

I always read it more as his having every heroic lead impulse in the right doses, thus rendering him uninteresting until the plot requires his services. Everyone else has their conflicts or shortcomings, while Yusei is the fall back good guy with no real chip on his shoulder sans his keeping to the garage.

True, I will agree that was rash. Given that I've made my feelings on GX known, while the first two seasons of 5Ds are right up there with Battle City in my Yu-gi-oh! hit list, I think TAS has done that I do not think it unreasonable to be skeptical. The same writers (?) that gave us the Virtual World, Doma/Pardias, Darkness, and Dark Signer arcs also gave us the KC Grand Championship (Not horrible, just extraneous) and "Other Dimension/Monster World" (I still don't get everything that happened there) stories.

I must also confess I have not followed the Polar God arc intensively, meaning I either see tournament duels or the Doma arc formula being reused and not turning out nearly so hot this time.

14. cohenmarioman

I read a pretty good translation of Rank 1 at janime, here is my summary of it

The chapter opens up with Yuma dreaming of some door, and to gain enterence, he must lose something closest to him, that being his pendent. Yuma is awoken up late for his first day of school in Junior High (he is 13-14)

Yuma is preparing to duel against Tetsuo, his sorta friend. He has lost over 50 times already, but he never gives up. While this is going on, his grandmother tells him to eat so he can do better. Character development ...

At school, Yuma tried to show off, trying to jump over a 20 measured pedestal. He fails, and is laughed at. Later on, he says he can swim the lap longer than anyone else. He jump in and cannot swim at all. He is laughed at. Character Development ...

Yuma tells his friend Kotori of his pendant, how it is a family momento. The walk outside to see some duels, and Yuma envisions himself as the King of Duelists (like Yugi was King of Games). Tetsuo, being vastly better than Yuma, is facing off against Shark Ryoga, who uses Exceed Summons to summon a monster which depletes Tetsuo in one turn. As per their rules, Shark takes his deck.

Yuma, seeing this, says if he trades what he has most, his pendant, Shark must give back the deck. Yuma gives his first, but Shark snaps it in half, breaking the deal as the pendant is now broken. He throws in into the grass and walks away. Yuma, enraged, says he will duel him for the deck. They arrange to face each other then ext day at an arena.

Yuma looks over his deck, being his fathers momento (pendant his mother) and thinks of ways to duel and win. We are left off with a face off for the next issue, they are aready at the place and are awaiting the match.

All the character development is pretty much needed as it sets Yuma up to be a loser, which makes the duel more exciting as Shark is a nationally ranked duelist.

Oh, and Shark is such a *****, even more so than Kaiba was.

15. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

That's an awful lot of weak characterisation. So far, I'm not impressed.

16. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I'm not too impressed with what I've read either, but it seems decent enough. It looks like they've added quite a bit of character development early on in the series, which is always good. The thing I disliked about 5Ds was that Yusei wasn't given much personality in the beginning. At least it looks like Yuma will be getting tons of personality (maybe too much? He seems hyperactive lol). I'm actually liking this Shark guy. He seems like a real jerk (maybe more than Kaiba was), but that always makes the antagonist characters interesting, so I'm all for it.

17. cohenmarioman

Yuma is ... Yuma. I cannot pin point it at all. He is like Leo in that he is very hyper, but he knows right from wrong, and only shows off. He knows when he has far reached his bounds, and only stands up to Shark when he takes Tetsuo, his friend, deck. He also never gives up, even if he has lost to Tetsuo 50 times, he still won't stop dueling him. Kinda like in Little Giants, how the guy beat his brother in a race that one time.

That is what Katto-Bingu is all about. Never giving up, with some slang about sending it flying. It's an idiom that literally means "The wings of a bird will soar through the skies," but refers to when someone is going to do something spectacular despite all the odds being against them. This is a pretty good translation(when you don't take it literally, XD) but you'd think they would've took the slangy route. So when Yuma says it in the Chinese version it's like him saying "If there's a way to win I'm going to find it!!" It's sort of different compared to the more slangy, kiddy "Kattobingu"("Bring it to 'em," or something) but the meaning is generally the same... kind of.

Could Yuma be using some type of wing beasts warriors?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  18. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I would hope not. I've seen far too many Warrior-type decks in the various Yu-Gi-Oh anime series. I figure that a Winged-Beast Warrior deck would run about the same as a normal Warrior-type deck. I wish they'd do something totally unexpected with Yuma's deck. I know that the writers want to give him monsters that appeal to the general fan-base, but that shouldn't stop the writers from being creative when it comes to his cards (they might have already revealed his deck preference, and maybe I just missed it?).

19. cohenmarioman

Its been a while since this thread has been updated ...

Well, we are still waiting for Rank 2 for the specifics on Exceeds, I hope they work out well.

20. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

Can't believe I forgot this thread exist.

Baby Tragon is so cute with its various emotion :p