1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Yuki Hayashi: Best Composer for the JP Version

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Ryu Taylor, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

To be honest, Mr. Yuki Hayashi does some of the same things Mr. Ed Goldfarb does (and yet oddly no one complains when Mr. Hayashi does it (not that I want that to happen)...): scoring according to onscreen events, having a good volume balance, and equal opportunity on instrument use. The only thing he hasn't done so far is leitmotif use.
    That all has a lot to do with my positivity toward the new JP music.
    But really, it doesn't feel so soulless and, for lack of better terms, like it sounds like it was made for a commercial/corporate interests. It feels like an actual soundtrack.

In a nutshell, this is why I consider him to be the best composer the JP version has ever had.

LilligantLewis and SerenaRulez like this.
  2. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Let's GO home!

Actually there are some people comparing him to Goldfarb
    But idk, Hayashi soundtrack sounds good so far, even though I liked Miyazaki's work

Leonhart likes this.
  3. Ryu Taylor

I know. It's just that their comparisons make no sense. "They're bad because their music isn't loud and doesn't make mundane things look like struggles to the death" is what those "comparisons" boil down to.

And I did like Miyazaki's work up until a certain point. But Mr. Hayashi has surpassed Miyazaki even from the beginning. At this point, I'd say Mr. Hayashi's Pokemon music is neck-and-neck with the 4kids dub music for the show and movies 1 and 3.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'm not sure how any supposed similarities between the new composer and Mr. Goldfarb are a good thing, especially considering that the consensus on Mr. Hayashi is that his music tracks don't always suit their corresponding scenes.

5. Ryu Taylor

It's the reason Mr. Hayashi's music clicks with me, and it also exposes the fact that others only like Pokemon music if Miyazaki is composing it. It's like they were never even fans of the show; they were only in it for the music of a man who's now moved on to other projects.

I know this sounds curt, but it's also the truth: I don't trust the music judgement of people who like the pre-PM2019 JP music. I'm more trusting of music judgements that don't come from privileging a composer based on the fact that they're the original JP composer.

6. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Then it's a good thing that's not what people are basing their opinions on

They liked Miyazaki because he made remixes of beloved game tracks

The new guy is making immemorable tracks that could have come from any other anime and doesn't remind anyone of Pokémon itself, hence the Goldfarb comparison

If you're going to complain about the music, at least make sure your claims are valid

Kutie Pie and SerenaRulez like this.
  7. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Eh I've never liked either Goldfarb or Miyazaki but I think that the new composer could use some lessons in music arrangement because he's making music that doesn't even feel fitting for the new series.

EmeraldArcanine and Twilight-Kun like this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

The arrangement of the actual music tracks isn't that bad in my view, it's just that Mr. Hayashi's style is noticeably different from the previous style and tone of the old soundtrack. Maybe I'll get used to it in a few years, but right now the music isn't very memorable, at least not in a good way.

SerenaRulez, mehmeh1 and Twilight-Kun like this.
  9. Kein

Kein AKA Silktree

I like quite a few of his tracks, namely the ones that played during Go's introduction, flight on Lugia, Ash's blasting off Team Rocket, Ivysaur's evolution (also the first trailer) and Scorbunny's backstory. His remix of SwSh's' wild Pokemon theme is also a much needed improvement on the original.

I just want to hear music representing the old games/series.

Rheena, Bortgreen, Ubermuk and 3 others like this.
  10. Ryu Taylor

At this point, I can safely say that it's a mystery to me how in the world we lasted 22 years of S. Miyazaki's "music", Hayashi's music is that good.

11. Twilight-Kun

Because the vast majority of fans would rather have memorable tunes, not Generic Anime Background Music #325

12. lmao. chill it's just a cartoon geez

13. Twilight-Kun

Your naiveté is adorable - tell that to people who think a certain saga is above reproach, or that a certain movie is godawful, or a series overall is a waste of time

It ain't called a Fandumb for nothing :p

LilligantLewis and Leonhart like this.
  14. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Let's GO home!

So far:
    Miyazaki for ambient or tense music
    Hayashi for action music

Not to say Miyazaki's action music was bad, pretty much the opposite. I'm talking about how Hayashi lives up to it so far, in his own style of course

And I like Goldfarb usage of leitmotifs too

SerenaRulez likes this.
  15. Ryu Taylor

Except for Oracion, S. Miyazaki never made anything memorable. You must be thinking of Junichi Masuda.

Many a toyetic JP cartoon OST would be better if they'd just do anything like that.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  16. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Mr. Miyazaki is a respected anime composer and arguably an expert at his craft, which I think is evidenced by how long he had been composing music not just for Pokemon, but for Crayon Shin-chan as well. So I'm going out on a limb and guessing that a lot of people liked his music because he was consistently good at what he did. You know, it is possible to praise the new composer while at least having a modicum of respect for the man who composed an entire catalog of well-liked and iconic Pokemon music for two decades.

17. Ryu Taylor

Emphasize that "was", and I'm in agreement.
    Though I haven't heard his non-Pokemon music (unless FUNi kept the JP music in their adapted dub of Crayon Shin-Chan), to tell the truth. But after seeing how much the quality of his Pokemon music fell the longer the show went on, I'd rather not.
    However respected he is doesn't change my feelings on his work. I don't hate the man, just 80% of his creations.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  18. Sham

Sham Aang could never

Tbh even when they remixed SWSH tracks in the recent episode...it sounded lackluster. I believe the trainer battle theme was used and wild battle? It was nothing extravagant.

19. Dragalge

Dragalge Constance Rookidee

Eh, the SWSH trainer battle theme is pretty lame anyway so no loss there.

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  20. Xeogran

Xeogran Hajimemashite.

Miyazaki is the best Pokemon composer, and that's where my opinion starts and ends, period. He made Pokemon what it is, with his amazing memorable tracks from Episode 1 up until recently. For me and many others, he is Legendary. His game remixes, his own contributions. Everything gave Pokemon the adventurous feeling adn contributed to it's popularity.

Which means, I ccompletely disagree with this thread.

Twilight-Kun and SerenaRulez like this.