• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yuki Hayashi: Best Composer for the JP Version

SerenaRulez

The new guy's music sounds more up to date compared to the other composer from the past.

I like them both but I can see why the new guy might be controversial because he's new and doesn't have the same experience as the previous composer.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Miyazaki is the best Pokemon composer, and that's where my opinion starts and ends, period. He made Pokemon what it is, with his amazing memorable tracks from Episode 1 up until recently. For me and many others, he is Legendary. His game remixes, his own contributions. Everything gave Pokemon the adventurous feeling adn contributed to it's popularity.

Which means, I ccompletely disagree with this thread.
That's nice. Now let me tell you the truth:
Musically, it was Junichi Masuda who made Pokemon what it is. S. Miyazaki would be lost without him.
Oh, and while he may be a "legend" to some, objectively, his credentials are unimpressive. He'll never be even half of what actual legends like John Williams are, let alone new talent like Hayashi.
The new guy's music sounds more up to date compared to the other composer from the past.

I like them both but I can see why the new guy might be controversial because he's new and doesn't have the same experience as the previous composer.
As you said, Hayashi's up to date. He understands that not every scene needs ultra-serious music screaming its head off at the audience.

Ryu Taylor

Until the past two episodes, there was no more than one game remix, so it wasn't a good time to comment on the quality of Hayashi's remixes. But now I can say this:

Hayashi's remixes are top-notch. They're equal to the quality of the game music itself.

Oh, and this just in:
Some Bulbagarden twerp said:
I'm so glad that Ryu Taylor isn't here to tell us how much better the new music is compared to the old music while figuratively flipping Miyazaki off.
I love it when Miyazaki stans prove me right.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Hayashi’s music is generic and too samey-same, they rinse and repeat the same tracks every episode. I can only listen to the same “action/despair” piece again and again. It sounds like something belonging to a generic action anime but not Pokémon. Respect to Hayashi and Miyazaki but this music simply feels so unfitting. Bringing in more game music would help, plus it could very well mean Miyazaki’s catalog won’t be used anymore. Kind of sucky but oh well.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Hayashi’s music is generic and too samey-same, they rinse and repeat the same tracks every episode. I can only listen to the same “action/despair” piece again and again.
This is the only thing I really don't like in Hayashi's music, it is great but it's already becoming overused right in the 7th episode

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
This is the only thing I really don't like in Hayashi's music, it is great but it's already becoming overused right in the 7th episode
With any luck, the fact they're reusing tracks means that he's composing new ones, because expecting brand-new music every single episode is a bit much to ask

If only they had eight generations of music to pull from or something...

Ryu Taylor

they rinse and repeat the same tracks every episode.
That happens to every Pokemon composer's music, including that of everyone's precious Miyazaki. Not that I like it that that happens, mind you; I'm just more accepting of it happening to stock tracks (that is, tracks made to be that way) than to more grand ones with a lot of care put into them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
With any luck, the fact they're reusing tracks means that he's composing new ones, because expecting brand-new music every single episode is a bit much to ask

If only they had eight generations of music to pull from or something...

Honestly, I wish that the new series would balance out the new tracks with some old tracks. It'd probably be cheaper for the studio than having to record brand-new music from scratch for the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the old soundtrack and new soundtrack do merge together. Both sides would then be appeased.

Rampardo

How can anyone be chilling Hayashi's garbage music? Talk about **** taste. Fu**ing country music in the pokemon anime... the guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He should be fired on the spot and Miyazaki reinstated.

Ryu Taylor

How can anyone be chilling Hayashi's garbage music? Talk about **** taste. Fu**ing country music in the pokemon anime... the guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He should be fired on the spot and Miyazaki reinstated.
People have minds of their own, no matter how much Miyazaki stans want to deny that fact.

Besides, if it were Miyazaki making that track, it'd be beloved and the Miyazaki stans would try to force others to like it. That's just how their kind operates.

Last edited:

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Ok now that I've listened to his music some more in the newest episodes I'll admit that he isn't as bad as some people claim.

But I did kinda laugh when I heard this one piece of music that sounded like it was composed using recorders played by a bunch of kindergarten kids lol. It was just so whimsical and silly and reminded me of The Amazing World of Gumball. :p

Ryu Taylor

Ok now that I've listened to his music some more in the newest episodes I'll admit that he isn't as bad as some people claim.

But I did kinda laugh when I heard this one piece of music that sounded like it was composed using recorders played by a bunch of kindergarten kids lol. It was just so whimsical and silly and reminded me of The Amazing World of Gumball. :p
Being the Gumball fan that I am (I did deem it the best TV show of the 2010s decade), I noticed that unintentional resemblance too. It's not a top favorite track of mine from JP PM2019, but it's one I like enough.

Ryu Taylor

As good as Mr. Hayashi continues to be as the composer, Mima's starting to fall back into old bad habits. The storm wasn't at all an ideal place to put such a lighthearted theme. Even the dub never messed up that egregiously.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
The music is bland. Nothing really stands out and rarely helps exemplify the tone. Such a step down from previous sagas’ music
Yeah, it’s just “there,” the only track I readily recall is the one from the Lugia Raid, Go catching Butterfree, whatever that track is. The only ones I remember are game ones, which they usually play during Team Rocket defeats.

The rodeo tracks are terrible.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Musically, it was Junichi Masuda who made Pokemon what it is. S. Miyazaki would be lost without him.

Original music was made for the anime, too, how are you not aware of this? There was at least one soundtrack compilation released that was all about the original music not from the games. Miyazaki really and truly didn't need to use the game music as a stepping stool, but as an adaptation, he had to compose the original GameBoy sound (which didn't have real instruments used whatsoever) into orchestra.

I don't know why you have to shit on Miyazaki's work when his music has been in the dub since the very beginning even before 4KIDS started composing their own weird tracks.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Original music was made for the anime, too, how are you not aware of this? There was at least one soundtrack compilation released that was all about the original music not from the games. Miyazaki really and truly didn't need to use the game music as a stepping stool, but as an adaptation, he had to compose the original GameBoy sound (which didn't have real instruments used whatsoever) into orchestra.

I don't know why you have to shit on Miyazaki's work when his music has been in the dub since the very beginning even before 4KIDS started composing their own weird tracks.
You mean TPCI. 4kids actually had decent soundtracks.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You mean TPCI. 4kids actually had decent soundtracks.

Both companies composed their own music, but I haven't been exposed to TPCi enough to know what their tracks are like. I mean, I've seen several episodes of D/P by now and have watched the movies at the very least, but I can't remember most of the music. I think some of the original track was still in the series during D/P, it wasn't until sometime in BW they started regularly replacing tracks, I heard?