• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yuki Hayashi: Best Composer for the JP Version

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Though Mr. Hayashi is a better remixer than Miyazaki, his remixes are only as good as the originals. So in the case of the Galar Gym Leader battle theme, the remix is awful because the original track was awful to begin with. But in cases like the Trainer Battle theme, it's great because the original was.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tbh, I'm kinda glad that due to Miyazaki's leaving, we probably won't get to hear this theme again, as it makes it feel much more special:

Ryu Taylor

Like I said before: music is subjective. You can like composer A and someone else can like composer B for a different reason. You cant convince everyone to like a composer. Or to hate him/her
I know. I'm just angry at the fools who tried to do just that to me.

Ryu Taylor

I think the new sound composer is doing a good job of making music that sounds different from the old composer. The newer music sounds livelier and that's a good thing.
Absolutely. As I said in this thread's origin post, it feels like an actual soundtrack rather than something to please corporate interests.

Ryu Taylor

Now that the dub's out, I can say that just as I'd hoped, the dub music and Hayashi's JP music are neck-and-neck.

Scheper

I do like some of the new compositions made by Hayashi. Although, for me personally, I like the music from Miyazaki more. This is has to do because he has been the musical "voice" of the Pokémon Anime for me (at least for subs).

I keep wondering why they decided to stop using past compositions. Especially now would be the perfect opportunity to at least make some new remixes based on the old ones. As Ash is now travelling to all of the past regions, it feels a bit out of place for me to not hear at least one soundtrack familiar to that specific region. As example, why not use the Kanto wild battle theme (or a new remix?) when Ash battles a Pokémon in the Kanto region instead of always using the SwSh wild battle theme? It's not that I don't like Hayashi's remix of the SwSh wild battle theme, but if I keep hearing the same music everywhere, it kind of makes me forget that we are in a different region.

This is what 4Kids did right in the past, they had a whole bigger catalogue for their music. Like when they used the music from M10 and M05 when Ash was battling against Tobias' Darkrai and Latios.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I do like some of the new compositions made by Hayashi. Although, for me personally, I like the music from Miyazaki more. This is has to do because he has been the musical "voice" of the Pokémon Anime for me (at least for subs).

I keep wondering why they decided to stop using past compositions. Especially now would be the perfect opportunity to at least make some new remixes based on the old ones. As Ash is now travelling to all of the past regions, it feels a bit out of place for me to not hear at least one soundtrack familiar to that specific region. As example, why not use the Kanto wild battle theme (or a new remix?) when Ash battles a Pokémon in the Kanto region instead of always using the SwSh wild battle theme? It's not that I don't like Hayashi's remix of the SwSh wild battle theme, but if I keep hearing the same music everywhere, it kind of makes me forget that we are in a different region.

This is what 4Kids did right in the past, they had a whole bigger catalogue for their music. Like when they used the music from M10 and M05 when Ash was battling against Tobias' Darkrai and Latios.
While I agree with your overall point, that was TPCi, 4kids only went up to Advanced Battle. I do wonder why they don't use earlier themes at times, especially since we currently have a pretty small amount of tracks, and they can get a bit repetitive (thankfully not "regi trio theme in the alola league"-tier , but still)

Epicocity

The funniest part about that is that Ash's battle with Tobias is the only episode in all of DP to use exclusively the Japanese score in the dub.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The funniest part about that is that Ash's battle with Tobias is the only episode in all of DP to use exclusively the Japanese score in the dub.
Didn't the riolu 2 parter do that too?

Ryu Taylor

That is...completely appropriate for that miserable excuse of a battle.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
That is...completely appropriate for that miserable excuse of a battle.
I actually like the battle tbh. The fact that Tobias exists is contrived, sure, but it did give us some grest character moments for Ash, like when for the first time since OS he flips his hat backwards, sends out Pikachu, and he declares that he'll win

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

You guys are really chocking against each other when it comes to Pokémon music. Not only here but on social media as well. It’s gotten to the point where it becomes ridiculous. It’s okay to like and dislike someone’s music, but I have to ask:

Who gave you the right to attack on others for liking something you don’t? I’ve had this problem before a few years ago in the Paper Mario discord I use to been in. I got tons of crap for liking Sticker Star, as it got so bad that the mods even joined in and poke fun at me. I fell through depression over it because people wouldn’t leave me alone. Had DMs of them still messing with me; took awhile to block and hope nobody else replied.

There is no such thing as having “s*** taste” in music, games, shows, art, etc. These people just don’t make music because they’re ordered to. They had to go through from hours to years of practice just to get to where they are now, and I appreciate their success. I’ve seen people trying to make petitions to kick Y composer out of business and bring X composer’s music in the shows. Criticism is always needed, but to go as far as wanting someone to lose their job just because you think their music is bad? That’s pretty rude if you ask me.

Again, I’m not saying you’re suppose to like their music, but you have to respect their way up to working with the big studios because they probably find their music to be great. I’m pretty much a music person as I love every soundtrack in Pokemon, dub and original. So what if they sound “generic”? Some of those are pretty memorable to me and I can still hum to them cause I hear them pretty often in the shows.

Last edited: