• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

(Yuletide, T) Top Billing

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
This here is my Yuletide submission. A gift for none other than JX Valentine. Naturally, being the fool that I am, I didn't quite realize how dealing with prompts worked. So, the end result is essentially three stories that got rolled together into one. Here are the things I covered:

[SPOIL]Characters
- I’d hate to be predictable, but the easiest way to my heart is through the boxdevs (Bill and his colleagues). Give it your best shot. I’m delighted by other people’s portrayals.
- So are Spark, Candela, and Blanche!
- Like writing pokémon? I adore clefairy and other cutesy, pink ‘mons
Prompts
- Magical girls. Just … magical girls.
- Santa Spark. That is all.
- Bill tries to convince League officials that, no, really, the ridiculous candidate he’s hand-picked is the right person to maintain the regional storage system. Even if that candidate is a punk guy/a former trial captain/a battle girl/a literal child/insert something here.[/SPOIL]

I should stress that the entirety of this was written prior to me getting to read Electric Sheep (which you should check out b/c it's a bundle of fun). For the sake of the forums, I've divided this into three chapters. Should anyone actually choose to leave a review for this, here's some navigation:

Part One (this post!)
Part Two
Part Three

Let's get started!

XxX

Top Billing

Part One: Input

The mouse icon hung over a giant red SUMIT APPLICATION button. In fact, it had been hovering there for the past ten minutes. That period of inactivity proved long enough for the automated application system on hrcentral.indigoleague.kanto.gov to put up a warning saying the session was about to expire and any unsaved progress would be lost. The mouse scrolled over and clicked the, “Keep me signed in,” option, shooing away the warning.

“Come on, Lydia. Just click the damn mouse already. You’ve been stuck on this screen forever. Bill’s gonna vouch for you, remember? You’re turning this into a bigger deal than it has to be.”

Except, deep in her heart of hearts, Lydia Castelañeros knew this was a big deal. A huge deal, actually. The enormity of such a deal struck her the second she had pulled up the official application and read the big, bold paragraph that stated if her application passed initial review, she’d be summoned to the Indigo Plateau to interview with the Elite Four and Champion.

That made her start to sweat. After all, trying to become the new Johto-Kanto PC Storage System Administrator wasn’t something they let any old techie or Pokémon trainer do.

Another few minutes of staring silently at the computer screen went by. At which point, Lydia gave a frustrated groan. She reached into her bookbag and produced a Love Ball. It opened up, and from the splash of blue light emerged her Sylveon. She stretched out her feeler-ribbons and gave a yawn.

“Usagi, I need you to press this button right here for me,” Lydia sighed, pointing to the mouse clicker.

Usagi tilted her head. “Phyia?”

“I know it sounds stupid. But momma can’t do it herself right now. So please, just press it,” Lydia said, giving Usagi the best baby doll eyes a human could muster. Usagi smiled and stretched a ribbon out toward the computer. She clicked the mouse and Lydia held her breath while the screen loaded up.

After a few seconds, a new page appeared, saying her application had been successfully submitted. She let out a sigh of relief and slumped down in her office chair. “Phew… got that taken care of,” she said. “Now, what time is it?” She looked over to a small clock on her desk and immediately doubled over in a fit of surprised coughing. “Damn it! 4:10 already?” She bolted from her chair and sprinted over toward a staircase. “Great. Nita’s gym battle started 10 minutes ago. She’s totally gonna kill me.”

“Sylphiiiie?”

Usagi ran up the stairs after her trainer. “Sorry, buddy. Looks like I lost track of time. We’ll have to play later, okay?” She fumbled for Usagi’s ball and recalled her. When she reached the top of the stairs, she started to head for the front door, when a body stepped out in front of her.

“Hey now, Lydia. Where’s the fire?”

Lydia screeched to a halt. “B-Bill, sir. H-Hi!” she stammered, standing at attention. “I, uh, finished encrypting those data logs to send to Silph about an hour ago. Listen, my little cousin’s supposed to be battling Misty right now and I promised her I’d be there. I’d love to stay and chat but I really need to get moving here!” She started jogging in place.

“Well, shoot. I was just going to ask if ya’d sent in that application to the League yet?” Bill said. “But yer jumping about like someone done dumped a Durant colony into yer jeans, so I’ll just let ya be on yer way.” He stepped aside.

“I just sent the application in,” Lydia said. “I’ll see you here tomorrow, sir. Gotta run!” She gave Bill a farewell wave as she ran out the front door of the Sea Cottage.

“Bless her heart,” Bill chuckled. “She’s the hardest-working assistant I’ve done hired, but she still can’t keep track of time to save her life. What am I gonna do with her?”

Ring, ring, ring! Ring, ring, ring! Phone call! Phone call!

Bill jumped as he felt his Pokégear vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out and blanched at the name in the caller ID. Flipping the phone open, he muttered a quick, “Bill here.”

“I just received an online application for the PC admin position,” a male voice exclaimed. “One of my assistants traced the IP address to your workshop by Cerulean Coast. I take it this ‘Lydia Castelañeros’ is the one you were recommending to us?”

“Yessir, Lance,” Bill said. “She’s a real whiz with the server machines and has helped me get the network through some rough patches.”

“Not exactly a good first impression to receive her application a mere 24 hours before the deadline,” Lance scoffed. “And, am I reading this right? She’s an Alolan native? Don’t you think it better to pick a candidate who has their roots in Kanto or Johto?”

“It’s okay, sir. She’s actually caring for her little cousin right now. So, I don’t reckon she’ll be heading back to Alola anytime soon,” Bill replied.

“I see. Well, I suppose I’ll have to take your word for it,” Lance said. “I’ll process her application and get her set up to come to the Indigo Plateau. I hope she’s prepared, because you’re both flying out of Cerulean tomorrow morning.”

Bill tugged at his collar. “Y-Yer kidding,” he stammered.

“What can I say? All the other admins picked their candidates a month ago,” Lance explained. “It seems their assistants must be more eager to win this job.”

“But what about just teleporting us there?” Bill asked.

“Unavailable. Pokémon illnesses… budget cuts… you know how it goes,” Lance sighed.

“Uh… right,” Bill gulped. “I think y’all will be surprised by my choice. In fact, I guarantee it.”

“I’m already surprised, Bill,” Lance scoffed. “And it’s more the type of surprise my opponents get when I tell Dragonite to use Hyper Beam, if you catch my drift.”

Bill winced at this. “Drift caught, sir,” he said, trying not to let his confidence waver. “Just keep an open mind. Lydia’s got what it takes to knock yer socks off.”

“I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Lance hung up, leaving Bill to close up his Pokégear. “Well now, looks like my pre-Christmas rush just got mighty interesting.”

XxX​

Lydia sprinted through the door to the Cerulean Gym’s arena, just in time to see a giant ball of pink fairy energy fly across the pool. It struck a Starmie trying to dive into the water, resulting in a brilliant, blinding explosion. Lydia struck a railing and yelped as she tumbled over it. She landed on a bench and let out a loud groan.

At that point, Lydia’s cousin noticed her presence. “Liddy!” Nita gasped. “When did you got here? Oh, crud, you look absolutely awful.” She turned around to face the gym leader. Her opponent had recalled the Starmie. “Um, could we take a time out for a second? My cousin just showed up and she’s not looking too good.”

“There’s no need for a time out,” Leader Misty declared. “That was my last Pokémon. Congratulations, the Cascade Badge is yours.” She spun around, producing a teardrop-shaped badge from her swimsuit.

“Really? Oh, awesome!” Nita chirped. “Hey, Jeanne, you mind checking up on Liddy for me?”

She turned to one of the battlefield’s floating rafts. Atop it, her Clefairy gave a slow nod. She leaped from the raft and daintily glided in Lydia’s direction. “Fairy?” she muttered, cocking her head in confusion at the sight of Lydia rubbing her head.

“Heya, Jeanne. Don’t mind me,” Lydia chuckled. “Just fell and banged up my head, ‘s all.” Jeanne frowned. She raised her right arm and snapped her fingers. Lydia felt a soft light wash across her. The throbbing pain her head quickly subsided.

“You doing okay, cuz?” Nita asked. “What the heck happened to you?”

“Aha ha… funny story…” Lydia let out a nervous laugh.

Nita gave her an unamused look. “You lost track of time at work again, didn’t you?” Lydia nodded slowly. “Ugh, seriously?” Nita groaned. “How long have I had this gym battle booked for? You said you’d be here for it!” She recalled Jeanne and stomped off toward the door in a huff.

“Wait, Nita!” Lydia stumbled to her feet and ran after her cousin. In the process, she nearly fell off the stairs once again. She recovered, however, and jogged after her sister. “C’mon, Nita, wait up. Gimme a sec to explain everything!”

Nita ignored her and quickly turned down a street, making off for the Pokémon Center. Lydia gave an exasperated groan and lumbered along after her. She finally managed to catch up when her cousin entered the center. Nita stood by the main desk, watching Nurse Joy load her three Poké Balls into the healing machine.

“Nita, please understand. I had to fill out this application for work and it, uh, y’know, took longer than I expected it to,” Lydia explained.

“And what sort of application could possibly be so important you ditched my first gym battle to fill it out?” Nita huffed.

“It’s… a promotion,” Lydia said. “Bill wants me to take over his job running the PC.”

Nita rolled her eyes. “Seriously? Doesn’t that just mean you sit and stare at a couple of screens all day? Why would you want to do that?”

“No, it’s way more than that!” Lydia declared. “Look, I know you don’t think about it much since you’re doing the gym challenge, but my bank account’s not exactly overflowing right now. As it is, we can’t even afford tickets back to Alola for Christmas. And you know your mom’s not up for flying here.”

Nita fidgeted with the strap of her bag. “Oh, yeah. I hadn’t really thought much about Christmas,” she whispered.

Lydia gave her a reassuring smile. “It’s okay, kiddo. We can do something together.”

“Like what?”

Lydia tapped her chin. “Oh! We could totally binge stuff on Netflix. When was the last time we did that?”

“I don’t know. When did they put up the last season of One Castelia Manor again?” Nita mused. “C’mon, there’s gotta be something better we can come up with. I know! How about we finally have that Pokémon battle. I want to see a Z-Move in action!”

Lydia instinctively brought her right hand over to clutch the white band around her wrist. “Err… maybe another time, kiddo.”

“Aww, c’mon. Don’t be such a scrooge!” Nita whined.

“Oh? Would a scrooge take you out for some frozen yogurt to celebrate a new gym badge?” Lydia teased.

Nita kicked the ground dejectedly. “I guess not.”

“Your Pokémon are fighting fit, miss,” Nurse Joy declared, pushing Nita’s Poké Balls back to her. “We thank you for your patronage and hope to see you again.”

Nita scooped up the Poké Balls and fastened them to her belt. Lydia wrapped an arm around her and guided her out of the center. “Hey, why do you think the Nurse Joys always say they hope to see us again? Do they want our Pokémon getting hurt?”

“I think they’re just trying to be courteous,” Lydia mused. “So, how did you find the battle?”

“A bit difficult at first,” Nita admitted. “But that Cosmic Power and Stored Power combination you recommended really helped out with her Starmie and Corsola.”

Lydia smiled. “Atta girl! See, aren’t you glad you evolved Jeanne after all?”

“I guess so. But I’ll miss being able to carry an adorable little Cleffa,” Nita said.

“If you’re feeling that way, I could always buy you a plushie for Christmas,” Lydia said with a laugh.

Nita playfully punched her in the shoulder. “Now that sounds like something a scrooge would do.”

XxX​

“Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god…”

No sooner had the cousins finished off their frozen yogurt than Lydia got a call from Bill. She was due to fly out with him to Indigo Plateau tomorrow morning. He certainly sounded excited and Lydia knew she should be too. But then Bill told her to check her emails and hung up and that’s when the panic started up.

“Hey, Liddy, you sure you don’t want any help?”

Which led to Lydia’s current situation. She raced back and forth across her bedroom, haphazardly grabbing things off her dresser and tossing them onto a worn piece of luggage. Nita lay on the bed, alternating her attention between her cousin and the floor. Beside the bed, two Eevees and a Kantonian Vulpix chased each other back and forth. Lydia failed to notice this, and tripped over the Vulpix. She fell into her desk chair, which wheeled across the room and struck the far wall.

“I’m… fine…” Lydia groaned. “Just need to get a few more things and I should be good to go.”

“Really? Because I think you just grabbed your old bikini instead of some underwear and you definitely put a mayonnaise packet into your toiletry bag instead of your travel toothpaste,” Nita explained. Lydia got to her feet and approached her suitcase. She quickly peered in and confirmed that Nita was indeed telling the truth.

Her shoulders sagged. “Son of a–” She cut herself off. “Give me a break, Nita. I haven’t flown anywhere since Bill took me to that conference in Goldenrod City and that was two years ago.” She removed the unwanted items from her suitcase and crossed her arms. “Wait, do you think I should be dressing professionally for this? Crap! I didn’t even think of that.”

She sprinted over to her closet and started pushing aside sundresses. “I don’t even have anything formal. They’re probably expecting a pantsuit or something.”

“Don’t you usually just go to work in jeans and a t-shirt?” Nita asked.

“Well, yeah, but that’s work and Bill’s very lax about dress code,” Lydia sighed. “This is totally different. I have to interview with the Elite Four. They’ll laugh me out of the room if I show up in my usual outfit.”

Nita sat right up. Even the Eevees and Vulpix abruptly froze at Lydia’s statement. “Shut up! You’re going to meet the Elite Four? Like, all of them? At once?”

“Um… maybe?”

“Ohmygod why didn’t you say that’s what you’d be doing in the first place?” Nita huffed. “You’ve gotta get me some autographs!”

Lydia rolled her eyes. “I am not going to tank my interview so you can get some autographs.”

“Aww, c’mon, cuz! Couldn’t you at least sneak in a photograph?” Nita begged.

“No. End of story,” Lydia said. She had pulled out a Poké Ball and summoned an Espeon. “Vee, I need a little help here. Can you help me find something nice to wear for the interview?”

Vee nodded slowly. He let out a soft, “Espy,” and his eyes glowed blue. A few seconds later, some hangers flew out from her closet and deposited their contents into the suitcase. Vee shut the suitcase with her telekinesis and zipped it up tight. He then casually strode to the other side of the room and lay down by Nita’s Eevee and Vulpix. The Eevee spotted his dad and bounded over, snuggling up next to him.

“Looks like they’ve got the right idea,” Lydia said, letting out a yawn. “Okay, Nita. I’m hitting the sack. I trust you can lock the apartment up if I leave before you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, no problem. But, you’re seriously going to sleep? It’s not even sundown!”

She felt contact against the bed and looked over to see Lydia lying beside her, snoring loudly.

XxX​

“Aww, for crying out loud.” Bill ran a hand through his hair. “The flight’s already started boarding. What’s keeping Lydia?”

“I’m here! I’m here!”

Bill looked over his shoulder and saw Lydia running toward him, wheeling her suitcase behind her. She reached the end of the moving walkway, only for her luggage to get caught, sending her falling to the ground. She shakily got to her feet and dusted herself off. “I’m okay,” she insisted.

“Great. Now get a move on. Some of us don’t have all day!” a particularly angry-looking businessman growled. Bill walked over and helped pull Lydia aside so other passengers could exit the moving walkway.

“You gave me quite the scare,” Bill conceded. “I was starting to think I’d be showing up to the Indigo Plateau all by myself. And then I’d never hear the end of it. Especially not from Cassius.” He raised his right hand and started pantomiming, “‘Heh, nice going there, Bill. Bet you scared her off with that stupid accent of yours.’ Honestly, the nerve of that guy. I get him the PC admin job in Kalos and what thanks do I get? A ‘World’s Best Dad’ mug for my birthday! Can you believe that?”

“Um… who are we talking about again?” Lydia muttered.

“Err, never mind. What kept you so long anyway?”

“Aha ha… funny story.” Lydia poked her index fingers together. “See, Usagi and Vee had another Eevee egg recently and I may have forgotten to put him in a Poké Ball until this morning. He hadn’t registered to my trainer ID when I got to the airport, so I maaaaaaaaay have gotten pulled aside by security.”

Bill shook his head. “Tell me there ain’t gonna be any surprises like that when we get to Indigo Plateau. As it is the Elite Four are a bit skeptical of my recommendation. So, they’ll pounce on any opening they see.”

Lydia’s face blanched. “Seriously?”

Bill tapped his chin. “Hmm… I reckon I should’ve kept that tidbit to myself, huh?”

‘Ya think?’ Lydia thought but held her tongue.

Now boarding all rows for All Kanton Airways Flight 174, with service to the Indigo Plateau, at Gate C34.

“Well, I think that’s our cue,” Bill declared. “Ladies first.” He gestured toward the gate door and they approached it in tandem. Luckily, waiting until the end to board made the process rather quick. They easily found space for their luggage and settled into their seats. “How about that. We got the side with only two seats. Pretty lucky, huh?”

Lydia wasn’t sure how much that could be attributed to luck, given who had apparently purchased the tickets. But she decided to play along. “Sure.” She let out a yawn. “Wake me when we get there.” And she was out like a light before the plane even took off.

Bill whistled. “Golly. I sure wish I could fall asleep that quickly.” He settled for pulling out his copy of Tech-World magazine and thumbing through it.

The flight proved entirely uneventful. But as the plane descended, Bill gently nudged Lydia awake. “Mmm… are we there yet?” she asked, rubbing her eyes.

“Not quite. But I thought you might want to have a look at the place from on high,” Bill exclaimed. Lydia turned to look out the window and her jaw stiffened.

“Yeah, wow, okay. That’s, uh, that’s pretty big,” she gasped. “I mean, I’ve seen some battles there on TV before but it looks massive from the outside. It’s like a gigantic colosseum, surrounded by another colosseum. No wonder Kukui wanted to make a Pokémon League after he came here.”

“Yup, sure is something, ain’t it?” Bill chuckled. “I remember when this place was half its size and weren’t nothing but five battling rings and a Pokémon Center. Now it’s a venerable tourist trap. I try to steer clear of the place when I can. But, well, work’s work. And I somehow keep having to come out here more and more every year.”

“So, is there a hotel or something we’re staying at?” Lydia asked.

“Course not. You’ll be spending the night on sight, seeing as how the interviewing starts at 7:00 tomorrow.”

“Seriously?” Lydia groaned.

“Yeah. Well, actually, you’ll be going last,” Bill said. “But that don’t mean you should even think about sleeping in.”

“Wait… what do you mean ‘going last?’ They’re interviewing all the applicants at once? How did you know that?”

“Well, us PC admins all recommended a candidate to the Elite Four,” Bill explained. “And we all sit in for all the interviews. You’re going last on account of you were the last one to submit the application.”

Lydia winced. ‘Great. I’m already starting off on the wrong foot and the interview’s still a day away.’

The plane came in for a landing. Bill and Lydia disembarked and exited the airport. He effortlessly maneuvered through the crowded plaza, with Lydia struggling to keep up. Eventually they found themselves at the base of a massive staircase. “Hope you’re ready for a hike,” Bill chuckled.

“Hey now, I climbed Mt. Lanakila in my trainer days. This is nothing!” Lydia boasted. But, much to her chagrin, years in a sedentary job had left her rather out of shape. She was gasping for breath by the end of the climb.

“You’re looking a little pale there,” Bill observed. “I’ll see if I can get you some water.”

“I’m fine!” Lydia insisted. She smoothed out her sundress and took in several big gulps of air. Bill watched her march inside the League’s main entrance. “Hey, aren’t you coming? I have no idea where I’m going.”

Bill shrugged and followed her inside. Lydia was currently preoccupied with the extraordinarily high ceiling. Sparkling chandeliers lit up the room, showcasing a Pokémon Center, accompany mart, and several sets of doors leading in different directions. Naturally, the whole place had red carpet with a gold trim. Similarly-colored banners descended from the ceilings, with the Indigo League’s crest emblazoned boldly upon them.

“Okay, this is pretty impressive,” she marveled.

“Eh, it’ll wear off on ya with time. And trust me, you’ll be coming here plenty if you get the job,” Bill said. “Come on, I’ll take you back to your room.” He guided her toward one of the side doorways, using an ID card to activate a locked door. They quickly left the extravagant main hallway for a far more sterile hallway. Gray steel plating lined the floor, walls, and ceiling. White doors lined the hallway, all of which were locked off with similar ID card readers.

“Weird, it’s like I’m walking around Aether Paradise all of a sudden,” Lydia exclaimed. She silently followed Bill toward a set of elevators and rode them up. They got off on the fifth floor; deceptively higher-up than she actually thought the building went. In contrast to the hallway they had left, this one seemed more rustic and inviting. It had blue carpeting and the walls were lined with wallpaper depicting a pair of beautiful sunsets.

“I think you’re in the room at the end of the hallway, on the left,” Bill exclaimed. Lydia walked forward and found her room. Bill handed her a guest pass and she touched it to the ID scanner. It flashed green and the words, “Welcome, Miss Castelañeros,” popped up. She opened the door and headed inside to a room that wouldn’t look out of place in a hotel catering to top business professionals; king-sized bed, small fridge with a freezer, desk and accompany office chair, large flat-screen TV, and some ridiculous-looking alarm clock with a holographic display.

“Well, I’m afraid this is where we’ve gotta part,” Bill announced.

“Huh? You’re leaving already?”

“’Fraid so. I was told to drop you off and head on up to meet with my bosses,” Bill explained. “That’s something you’d best get used to. Them Elite Four folk love the cloak-and-dagger routine.” He glanced over toward her nightstand and spotted a phone. “You should get a call from someone with more detailed instructions.”

“That’s it? Aren’t you going to give me any last-second words of wisdom?”

Sweatdrops formed on the back of Bill’s head. “Well, when you put it like that…” He took in a deep breath.

“Don’t look Will directly in the eyes because I’m pretty sure he can read your mind. If’n you’re thinking about lightening the mood with a joke, don’t. Bruno and Koga won’t like that one bit. Karen’s gonna try to get under your skin with a few personal jabs; possibly about your looks. And if you happen to do particularly well she may call out her Absol to use its disaster sensing trick on you. So, keep a stiff upper lip. Lastly, Lance is going to come off as fearsome and no-nonsense; it’s just who he is. And don’t be surprised if he brings one of his Dragonites along because, and I quote, ‘I’m the Champion, I can bring my dragons wherever I want.’ There’s a reason the Indigo League’s been voted ‘World’s Most Intimidating Elite Four’ twelve-years running.”

He exhaled. “Did ya get all that?”

“Uh, you lost me at ‘don’t,’” Lydia admitted.

Bill rubbed his temples. “Just be yourself and you should do fine. Oh, but make sure you bring a strong Pokémon or two. You’d be surprised how many of these interviews turn into an impromptu battle.”

Lydia’s face blanched. “W-Wait, I’m not gonna have to battle one of them, am I?”

“’Course not!” Bill said with a laugh. “What kind of monsters do you think they are?” He patted her on the back. “Alright, now you take care and try to relax. They’ll bring meals directly to your room and it’s on the house, so order whatever you want.” He turned and left the room, giving her a wave.

Bill returned to the elevators and proceeded up to the seventh floor. He stepped out into the hallways, taking his suitcase with him.

“Yo! Ya finally made it, old-timer. I was beginning to think you’d be a no-show.”

“Howdy, Cassius.” Bill gave him a curt nod. “Nice to see you again. And what would make you think I’d be missing the interviews for my successor?”

“How about that fact that you ain’t said a word about it since we all got the announcement,” Cassius scoffed.

“Weren’t much to say, frankly,” Bill said with a shrug. “Bridgette needs someone else to keep up the Pokémon Bank’s servers. She’s trying to expand to Orre and Almia and she’s stretched herself a bit too thin in the process.”

“That’s not what I meant, man,” Cassius chuckled. “I’m talking about your candidate. Who’d ya pick, huh? We’re all totally curious.”

“Oh, well, she’s my assistant. Nothin’ simpler than that,” Bill declared.

“You sure about that? Because your accent’s slipping out, so you must be pretty nervous.”

“Or maybe my accent’s out cause I’m on my home turf… relatively speaking,” Bill insisted. “I thought I told ya to stop bringing it up.”

“Ahh, I’m just ribbing ya, bud. Keep your shirt on,” Cassius said with a laugh. “You’ve gotta lighten up a bit. I thought you came around to this place regularly?”

“Course I do. But tomorrow’s an important day. I’ll relax a bit when things are over and the Elite Four’s made their decision,” Bill explained.

“I don’t quite think that’s the issue here. I’ll bet he’s just nervous about how this assistant of his is going to do.”

“That so, Lanette?” Cassius asked as Hoenn’s PC admin made her way down the hall. A Swablu perched happily atop her shoulder, preening its puffy wings.

Lanette nodded. “Yes. How I arrived at that conclusion is a simple deductive process, really. First off, his accent’s showing, as you stated. Next, he hasn’t told us anything about the person he recommended. The fact that he only just arrived today suggests that his assistant didn’t even send their application in until very recently.”

Bill’s face blanched. “Err, things have just been a bit busy for us lately,” he said, tugging at his collar.

“Or, another possible explanation is that you don’t think she has a solid chance of nailing the job. Despite the fact that your recommendation should put your assistant a cut above everyone else,” Lanette theorized. She nudged up her glasses. “Perhaps his candidate isn’t actually from Kanto or Johto, for example.”

Bill did his best to betray absolutely no hint that Lanette’s guess was on the mark. “I think y’all are just making a mountain out of a Drillbur hill. I’m just a bit tired from the early-morning flight, that’s all.”

“C’mon, you two. Leave the poor guy alone. It’s not nice to tease your elders, after all!”

Bill rubbed his temples. “Good to see you again too, Bebe. How’s the weather in Sinnoh?”

“Cold. It’s always cold. And that’s why I like it!” Bebe proclaimed. The Eevee riding her shoulder leaped off and bounded over to Bill, wagging her tail excitedly. “Aww, I think she remembers you. How adorable!”

“Vee! Eevvuiii!”

“I will never understand why Eevees get so cutesy around you,” Cassius chuckled. “You got some sort of secret Eevee pheromone that you use or something?”

“Am I detecting a hint of jealousy?” Bill teased, kneeling down to pet the Eevee. She purred loudly and brushed her trunk up against his leg.

“Pfbt, as if,” Cassius scoffed. “Gimme a Koffing or a Skrelp over those little fuzz buckets any day of the week.”

“Your taste in Pokémon leaves something to be desired,” Bebe scolded. “Do you have any idea how lucky you are to live in a region with wild Eevees? I can’t count the number of trainers I’ve met who would kill for an opportunity to get one so easily.” She shook her head. “You Kalosians can be so ungrateful for what you have.”

“Slow down there, Bebe. Your motor mouth’s as bad as ever,” Cassius teased. “It’s called breathing and you’re supposed to do it every so often.”

“By my estimations, I think her speaking rate has actually climbed by about four and half words per minute, give or take,” Lanette mused.

“Okay, very funny, you two,” Bebe deadpanned. She kneeled down and reached out to her Eevee. “Come on, buddy. You stay around Bill too long you’re going to end up a spoiled little furball. Let’s go and get you some fresh air, okay?”

“Eevee!” Eevee leaped up into Bebe’s arms and she made for the elevator.

“Well, it’s been mighty fun catching up,” Bill said as he got to his feet, “But I’d really like to get settled in my room, if y’all don’t mind.”

“One sec,” Cassius said, sticking an arm out to block his path. “Can’t you at least tell us a little bit about this assistant of yours? Or is Lanette telling the truth here?”

Bill rolled his eyes. “She’s from Alola. I met her a few years back, when she brought this nice young lass and her sick mother to the Sea Cottage. Turned out they were a couple of VIP’s, so to speak. It was a rather strange case, but Lydia stuck around to help me out. I was impressed by her attention to detail, so I decided to hire her.”

“Aww, well ain’t that sweet of ya,” Cassius chuckled. “I’m sure that warm, fuzzy story’s gonna go down great with the Elite Four.”

“Lydia can stand on her own merits, thank you very much,” Bill exclaimed. “Why, I bet right this second she’s working on something to prepare for the interview…”

(cont. in next post)

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Part Two: Processing

“… and I’ve officially surfed through all the channels and found nothing worth watching.”

Lydia slumped back in bed and dropped the TV remote beside her. “Why did I not think to bring a DVD or something?” she groaned.

Couldn’t you just watch something on your laptop?

She looked to her side and noticed Vee gazing up at her from the floor. Beside him, Usagi was grooming her kid’s fur with her ribbons.

“Oh, yeah, I suppose I could do that,” Lydia said. “Good idea, Vee.”

It’s what I’m here for, apparently, Vee mused. Usagi chuckled at this. Lydia rolled off the bed and walked over toward her bag. She pulled out her laptop and plugged it into the TV with a USB cable. Her Netflix account popped up on the screen.

“Hmm, what to watch, what to watch,” Lydia thought out loud.

Wait, what’s that?

Lydia stopped scrolling and Vee got to his feet. He walked up toward the TV, then turned and purred loudly at Usagi. “Sylvee?” His mate looked up at the TV and her eyes sparkled. “Nymphiee! Sylveeeon!” She wrapped Eevee up in her feelers and jumped onto the bed. Vee followed suit.

“Looks like I’ve been outvoted here,” Lydia chuckled. “This doesn’t look like the show I remember, though. They must’ve rebooted it.” She sat back down in the bed and hit the play button. “I wonder if this is any good.”

The TV screen brightened with a shot of an animated school building. It quickly cut to within the hallway, where a quartet of girls walked in a two-by-two manner. “That was one heck of a midterm,” the girl in the front exclaimed. She had short black hair that curved into two points around the level of her neck. “My brain feels like a bowl of pudding. What year is this again?”

“Quit being dramatic,” the girl beside her scoffed. She had fiery-orange hair extending downward in a pointed, V-shaped fashion. “You were the first one to hand the test in.”

“Uh, did I not pick the first episode?” Lydia wondered. “Who the heck are these girls?” She was quickly shushed by one of Usagi’s ribbons.

“That could just mean that she left all the answers empty,” a third girl cut in. She was a redhead, with her hair extending down her back, save for two small, conical tufts that pointed upward.

“I’d never do something like that, Megumi.”

“Whatever you say, Seiun,” Megumi said with a laugh. “The test is over, so there’s nothing left to do but move onto the next one.”

Seiun scowled. “Whoever decided that midterms should be an entire week is the cruelest evil in the entire galaxy!”

The fourth girl in the group giggled at this. Her dirty-blonde hair was wavy, with streaks of green running through it. She wore a green, onion-shaped pendant around her neck. “I think the Grand Creator might beg to disagree on that one.”

“Shh, let her think what she wants, Rie. I’d pay good money to see Sailor Lunala, protector of the cosmos, against the EVIIIIIIIL Goldenrod City Board of Education,” the orange-hair girl heckled, raising her arms up and waving them around in a dumb attempt at appearing sinister.

“Leave her alone, Mizuki,” Rie sighed. “You keep talking like that and you might actually encourage her to try something like that.”

“Okay, I think they pulled in different Pokémon for this one,” Lydia said. “This must be like a spiritual successor or something.”

Quiet. We’re trying to watch, Vee chided. Beside him, little Eevee stared transfixed at the TV. Lydia shrugged and shifted her position so she wasn’t propping her head up with an arm. After more chit-chat, the scene shifted to show the girls gathered in front of one of the school’s TV’s watching a news broadcast.

“We’re bringing you ongoing coverage of what appears to be a coordinated Pokémon attack against the Goldenrod Museum of Science and Engineering,” a news anchor spoke as the girls exchanged nervous looks. “At the present time, police are uncertain as to the purpose of the attack. But according to museum patrons who fled the scene, a swarm of Combees descended on the building, whipping the place up into a frenzy.”

“Uh oh, looks like trouble downtown,” Seiun declared. “Girls, I think it’s about time we made for the roof, don’t you?”

“Normally I’d agree, but have you forgotten the math midterm’s in 20 minutes?” Mizuki pointed out. “We’ll never stop the attack and make it back in time. And I need to pass this test! I think we’re just going to have to let the police deal with–”

FWOOOOOOSH!

On the news footage, a torrent of fire erupted from one of the windows, sending superheated glass in all directions and pedestrians running away.

“Uh, since when can Combees use Flamethrower?” Megumi wondered.

“They can’t,” Rie said. “Which means this is more serious than we thought.” She turned to Mizuki. “I’m with Seiun here. We’ve got to do something. This could be an attack by the Solar Flare Squadron!”

“Okay, then how do you propose we explain our absences to Mr. Kazuya, huh?” Mizuki huffed. “We got busted for forging notes from the nurse already and I’m not giving up my winter break to come do a make-up test.”

“Then we’ll get someone to cover for us,” Seiun said. “Or, better yet, to make a distraction.” She reached an arm out and grabbed the backpack strap of a bespectacled boy passing boy. He let out a startled gasp. “Heeeeeeeey, Hideki. How’s it hanging?”

“H-H-H-Hi Seiun,” the boy stammered. He nudged up his fogging glasses. “Y-You’re a-actually talking to me?”

“Listen, I need a little favor of you.” Seiun leaned in, placing an index finger under Hideki’s chin. “My friends and I have a bit of an emergency to deal with. Could you delay the start of the math final for, let’s say, about 15 minutes? It would be suuuuuuuper helpful!”

Hideki’s face turned bright red. “Uh, gee, I d-d-d-d-dunno… wouldn’t that m-m-m-make Mr. K-K-K-Kazuya m-m-m-mad?”

“Aww, c’mon, he’d never get mad at you. You’re his favorite student,” Seiun said. “Do it for me. Pretty please?” She batted her eyelashes at him.

Hideki furiously nudged up his glasses. “W-Well, w-w-what’s in it f-f-for me, huh?”

“How about a trip to the movies over winter break? It’ll be just the two of us,” Seiun said.
The other girls thought they could see steam funneling out of Hideki’s ears at that suggestion. “C’mon, I’ll even pay for it. What do you say?”

“I… I say…” Hideki’s body went rigid and he gave them a salute. “I won’t let you down!” He turned, took a deep breath in, and marched forward like a toy soldier.

“Very clever. You use Charm, Attract, or Captivate on him?” Mizuki teased.

“Har, har. I’ve bought us time. Now, let’s get to the janitor’s closet. There’s not a moment to lose!” Seiun declared. Her friends nodded and together they sprinted up to the school’s top floor and entered a shabby-looking door. They all dropped their bags to the ground and produced small, wand-like rods. Each one was topped with a different-colored glowing crystal. “The news said the science museum’s getting attacked, right?”

“Yup,” Rie said with a nod. “And if the attacker’s packing serious fire, Megumi’s the best choice to lead the charge here.”

“Right.” Megumi nodded. “You can count on me!”

“Okay then.” Seiun took a deep breath and stuck out a gloved hand. “Everyone, hands out.” Her friends grabbed hold of her arm. Seiun tucked her chin into her chest and muttered.

“Oh, wondrous wormhole, give us a hand!
Heed my call, and take us to the envisioned land!”

Lydia leaned forward in her seat and watched a swirling, multicolored vortex appeared and swallowed up the girls. “Hey, doesn’t that kind of look like the portals Professor Kukui’s wife studies?” she gasped. Vee merely shrugged at this and returned his attention to the TV. The scene had shifted to the scene of the attack, where firefighters raced about while police cordoned off the area.

A wormhole appeared on the roof of the museum and the girls stepped out of it. Seiun stepped forward to try and survey the scene, only to duck back as a Blastoise duo launched dual Hydro Pumps toward the flaming parts of the building. “Okay, things are really heating up here,” she gasped.

“Ugh, you could’ve at least waited until we’re confronting the head honcho before dropping such a cheesy one-liner,” Mizuki groaned.

“Girls, come quick! I see something down in the main lobby,” Rie called, beckoning them over toward a glass dome. The girls approached and peered down. They noticed a large, telescope-like machine in the museum with a swarm of Combees around it.

“Pfbt. What, they didn’t want to buy a telescope like everyone else?” Mizuki scoffed.

“That’s no telescope,” Rie declared. “It’s a leftover from when the Mossdeep Space Center investigated those Ultra Wormholes appearing in the asteroid belt.”

Seiun’s eyes widened. “It’s inactive though, right?”

Rie shrugged. “Who’s to say the culprit here doesn’t have the means to make it work? Or maybe even repurpose it…”

“… to summon Ultra Wormholes?” Megumi gasped. “We’ve got to put a stop to this right away!”

Seiun nodded. “I couldn’t agree more.” She held up her wand and the dark blue gemstone started flashing.

“By the radiant beauty of twilight!
Bring forth the power of the beast that calls the moon!”

The gemstone shattered, sending a blanket of blue energy washing over her. Small constellations of stars flashed across her body as the energy spun around her. An image of a half-moon appeared behind Seiun as the energy unraveled into blue ribbons and spun around her. The ribbons wrapped themselves around her body, replacing her street clothes with a blue outfit that had golden ribbons trailing off it. She also had a mask resembling Lunala’s face, and a brooch matching the original gemstone.

Seiun struck a pose; her right hand came up toward her face while her left hand dropped toward her belly. “I am Sailor Lunala!” she bellowed.

“No way!” Lydia shook her head. “I can’t believe they actually switched the lead from Cresselia.”

Apparently the internet raged about the change until the show debuted, Vee reported. Lydia looked over and noticed her phone hovering in front of Vee’s face.

“Hey, what did I tell you about stealing my phone when I’m not looking?”

That it’s perfectly acceptable so long as I’m not going over your data limit texting my cousin back home, Vee sang.

Lydia groaned and turned back to the TV. In the process, the other three girls simultaneously went identical transformations. “At least they kept Sailors Victini, Latias, and Celebi. Otherwise this thing would be unrecognizable!”

“Okay, what’s the plan of attack here?” Sailor Victini asked. She had a fiery-orange boot leaning on the glass dome. “I’m thinking blow the glass open, send the Combee scattering with my Searing Shot Spectacle, and call it a day.”

“Not a chance! We’re trying to protect the device, not destroy it,” Sailor Celebi protested.

“What if Latias and Lunala use their shield attacks to protect it?” Victini proposed. “C’mon, we’re not picking off all those Combee one-by-one, you know.”

“Fine,” Lunala declared. “Ready, Latias?” She looked beside her at Megumi, who now had on a svelte red-and-white outfit with wing-like appendages sticking out from the back. Her mask predictably mimicked the face and ears of a Latias.

“Absolutely,” she said. Each of them pointed their wands forward. Latias shouted, “Soul Dew Screen!”

“Shadow Shield Special!” Lunala bellowed. In an instant, two different shields formed around the large device in the museum. One glistened with all the colors of the rainbow, while the other was pitch black, with sparkling gold stars streaming across it.

“All right!” Victini cheered. She clicked the heels of her boots together and jets of fire exploded out from underneath them. The glass immediately shattered, allowing her to point her wand downward. “Go and bring forth victory… Searing Shot Spectacle!”

A bright orange fireball formed in the wand and rained streams of fire down into the museum. The Combee all let out frightened buzzes. Some of them were able to steer clear of the attack, but the vast majority were blasted and disappeared in puffs of smoke.

“There’s our opening. Let’s move!” Lunala bellowed. “I call upon you, Wings of Dawn!” The ribbons on her outfit glowed brightly and a pair of blue, crescent-shaped wings sported out from her back. She grabbed Sailor Celebi and descended into the museum. Likewise, Latias’ wing-like appendages lit up with pink energy and she floated into the air. She carried Victini inside with her.

The girls were quickly forced to call of their flight, however, as a pair of large flamethrowers surged up toward them. They all dropped onto the third floor and rolled across the ground, scrambling to their feet.

“Oh ho ho ho ho! So, the famed cosmic protectors have decided to pay us a friendly visit.”

A loud buzzing sound filled up the room. The girls quickly turned to face the machine. They watched as a pair of Vespiquen flew up toward them. Each one held onto a cable connected to what was clearly an old ski left with a coat of yellow paint and an absurd number of sequins. Seated in the chair was what appeared to be a young woman. She wore a noblewoman dress colored to match her Vespiquen duo. Likewise, she had a Venziana mask resembling a Vespiquen’s face.

“And just who are you supposed to be, huh?” Victini asked.

The woman snapped her fingers. One of the Vespiquen pointed an arm forward and dozens of miniature bees raced in Sailor Victini’s direction. She gave a shriek and started waving her arms about. “Aggggh! Icky, icky, icky, bugs! Get ‘em away! Get ‘em away!”

“That is just the start of the punishment you peasants are in for!” the woman declared. “All those who dare to oppose Queen Bee shall face the wrath of our hive!”

Sailor Latias leaned over to Sailor Lunala and whispered, “I guess all the good supervillain ideas were taken?”

“SILENCE!” Queen Bee bellowed. “We do not appreciate your mocking tone. We are the latest and greatest addition to the Solar Flare Squadron. And in our first assignment, we shall fell the mighty cosmic protectors that have plagued our allies!” The Vespiquen behind her buzzed their approval.

A ball of pink mist flew toward Queen Bee and suddenly exploded. Psychic energy washed across her and the Vespiquen, causing them to let out frightened screeches. “Waaaaaah!” Queen Bee screamed as her makeshift throne started to fall to the ground. The Vespiquen duo panicked and fluttered down. However, Sailor Victini jumped onto the railed. She pointed her wand down and a burst of fire flowed down. It struck a Vespiquen, sending her reeling.

The remaining Vespiquen barely managed to scoop Queen Bee out of the chair before it crashed into the ground floor. She looked at the wreckage of her throne and started thrashing about in the air. “No, no, no, no, no!” she hollered. “Look at what you did to my beautiful chair! Now the servants are going to have to spend hours reassembling it!” her eyes widened. “Err… um… I mean… ahem…” she cleared her throat. “We shall punish your insolence!”

Queen Bee pressed a button her bejeweled belt. A beam of light spilled out, taking the form of a Beedrill. She placed a hand on the shimmering medallion around her neck. Tendrils of orange light shot toward the Beedrill and encased it in a giant ball of orange.

“Aww, crap, she has a Key Stone and Beedrillite? What are the odds?” Victini growled.

“Ho ho ho! With my family’s money I can have everything my heart de–” Queen Bee cut herself off a took a deep breath. “What we were trying to say is that we our royalty! And the might of the Solar Flare Squadron is not to be questioned!” She pointed her right arm forward. “Now, my loyal subjects, attack!”

Mega Beedrill sped toward Sailor Latias. The girl gave a startled squeak and jumped back, dodging Beedrill’s glowing stingers. Beside her, Sailor Victini let out a yelp as a swarm of bees knocked her from the railing. The Vespiquen she had blasted had returned for revenge. Likewise, the other Vespiquen sent rippling air currents shooting toward Sailor Lunala. She raised her wand and formed up wings of shadowy energy. They wrapped themselves around her and harmlessly absorbed the attack.

Sailor Celebi tried to shoot a blast of psychic energy at Queen Bee. However, she found herself completely off guard when a white Salazzle leaped out from behind a column, spewing a stream of fire. Celebi jumped behind a metal garbage can, only to watch it melt into a puddle of acid.

“Ho ho ho ho! Yes, my beautiful royal court. Dispose of these wretched little girls,” Queen Bee cackled. “There’s only room for one influential teen in this city, and it’s Queen Bee!”

“Ah! I thought that voice sounded familiar,” Sailor Latias gasped, sprawling out on her stomach to dodge a swipe from Mega Beedrill’s poison-covered tendrils. She pointed her wand up at the bug and shouted, “Pristine Dragon Pulse!” A sparkling blue beam raced forward. Beedrill buzzed in pain and spiraled backward through the air.

“Wait, are you saying we know this crazy lady?” Victini asked, turning and shooting a fireball toward her Vespiquen assailant. The bee formed a Protect shield and deflected the attack.

“Yeah. I’d bet my favorite blouse that that’s Tomoya,” Latias declared. But before she could say anything else, Beedril sped toward her. He raised his stingers and slashed at her in an X-shaped pattern. Sailor Latias tried to throw up her wand in defense, but it didn’t work. She let out a holler as she fell onto her back and rolled across the ground.

Sailor Lunala spotted her friend’s peril and jumped in front of her. She pointed her wand forward and bellowed, “Magnificent Moongeist Beam!” Bright-purple energy spiraled around her wand and shot forward in a brilliant beam. Both the Vespiquen trying to attack her and Mega Beedrill were blasted backward by the attack. Queen Bee gave a startled yelp as her Pokémon crashed into her. She collapsed to the ground, flailing her arms around.

“Get off me, you stupid bugs! I swear… when we’re through here I’m telling daddy about how useless you were today. And he’ll send you back to that pathetic breeder we got you from!” Queen Bee screamed.

“Okay, she’s definitely Tomoya,” Victini agreed. “But why would she want to help the Solar Flare Squadron? She’s already filthy rich.”

“Oh, and let me guess, she’s totally head of the cheerleading squad too, huh?” Lydia snarked. “Or maybe Student Body President?” She glanced at Vee. “The original series did that too, right?”

Actually, the annoying girl villain was the lead oboe soloist in the school orchestra. But good guess, Vee said. Usagi giggled at this.

Back on the TV, Sailors Victini and Celebi were now standing back to back. They faced down Salazzle and one of the Vespiquen. “Go, Searing Shot Spectacle!” Victini shouted and sent a swarm of fireballs racing toward the Salazzle. The lizard cackled and slung her tail forward. Streams of poison shot out, causing a stalemate with the fireballs. Likewise, Celebi’s burst of psychic energy was snuffed out by a waveform Signal Beam from the Vespiquen.

The bee felt emboldened and charged toward Celebi, shooting blades of air forward. Sailor Celebi tried to cartwheel out of the way of the Air Slashes, but one snared her left arm and she crumpled to the ground, letting out a surprised gasp. Vespiquen buzzed excitedly and shot two more Air Slash blades forward. The first struck Celebi and the second struck Sailor Victini from behind. Both girls let out hollers as the attacks blew them across the room.

Salazzle let out a hearty laugh and whipped her tail forward. Her dorsal flaps opened and two balls of sludge arced forward. One struck each of the girls, causing them to collapse into a heap next to one another.

“Ah! Celebi! Victini!” Sailor Latias squeaked. She tried to make for her friends, but Mega Beedrill lunged for her. Latias backpedaled, narrowly dodging swipes from his glowing stingers. All the while, she saw Salazzle and Vespiquen approaching her friends. She fired another sparkling Dragon Pulse forward, but Beedrill slipped out of the way.

“Lunala, we need to do something!” Latias cried. She looked at the team leader but found her ducking and weaving a set of multicolored Signal Beams from the other Vespiquen. Latias quickly had to throw up a shield comprised of glass-like feathers to deflect poisonous tendrils that Mega Beedrill shot at her while she was distracted.

“Yes, yes. Fantastic! Dispose of these annoying little upstarts,” Queen Bee commanded, pointing to Sailors Celebi and Victini. Salazzle and Vespiquen approached them, reading a Flamethrower and Signal Beam.

But before either of them could get off an attack, a pair of glowing-white orbs shot across the room. They struck Salazzle and Vespiquen and released powerful bursts of bright, fiery-orange light. Both of the Pokémon gave cries of pain and a pair of loud thumps sounded.

“What the–? What is the meaning of this?” Queen Bee gasped. The light settled, revealing that both Salazzle and Vespiquen had been knocked out. Sailors Celebi and Victini were no longer on the ground. Instead, they were wrapped securely in the arms of a new figure. One who was distinctly male, and garbed in a white, gallant tuxedo and a starry-blue mask. The mask extended up above his head, forming a white crown with streaks of gold that appeared to resemble a lion’s mane.

“No way,” Lydia gasped, leaning in toward the TV. “Guess they replaced Darkrai Mask too.”

“You can put us down now, you know,” Sailor Victini huffed, and the man obliged. “We had that situation perfectly under control, Solgaleo Mask.”

“Of course you did,” he replied with a chuckle. “But, word on the street is that you four have somewhere you need to be. So, I figured I could lend a hand and get this bee to buzz off.” He stuck his hand to his right. A white cane materialized in it, topped by a golden sun.

“And just who are you supposed to be?” Queen Bee barked. “You aren’t in any of my reports. Ugh, when I get back, I’m complaining to daddy about this!”

“Well, I do like to keep a certain degree of privacy,” Solgaleo Mask said. He stepped back and gestured to Queen Bee with his cane. “If you want your shot at her, I’m not going to stop you. Ladies first, after all.”

Queen Bee’s expression immediately blanched. She looked over and saw that Beedrill lay knocked out in front of Sailor Latias. Her remaining Vespiquen frantically flew back toward her, dodging a Moongeist Beam that shot up to the glass dome. “Th… this isn’t fair! You… you cheated! You’re not allowed to call in outside help.”

She pulled out a set of Poké Balls and recalled her unconscious Pokémon. Then she sprinted to the side and leaped onto Vespiquen. Sailor Victini dashed forward. “Oh no you don’t!” she shouted, shooting fireballs at Queen Bee. Vespiquen materialized a Protect shield and deflected the attack.

“You may have one this battle, but royalty never surrenders!” Queen Bee bellowed. “Next time, we will not be so lenient.” And her Vespiquen carried her through the shattered dome and out of the museum.

“Vee! Eevee! Ee-ee-vee-vee!”

Lydia looked down to see Eevee jumping on the bed excitedly.

“I guess you liked that quite a bit, huh, little guy?” Lydia chuckled.

Vee put a paw to his mouth and chuckled. He says he wants to evolve into a Sylveon, so he can become a magical girl, too. Eevee landed and nodded enthusiastically.

“Uh, I’ve got some bad news for you there, buddy. They’re magical girls, not guys,” Lydia mused.

Eevee’s ears flopped against his head. “Eevuuiii?” His eyes started watering.

“I’ll tell you what, though. Maybe, if you evolved into an Umbreon, I could find a nice little suit for you and you can pretend to be like Solgaleo Mask. How’s that?” Lydia proposed.

Eevee looked back at the TV screen, which was showing a shot of the sharp-dressed man in question over the end credits. Eevee nodded and gave an enthusiastic bark.

“It’s a plan then,” Lydia said. “So, what should we do now?”

I’m down to watch more of this. I had fun! Vee exclaimed. Usagi nodded her support.

“Okay, I guess a few more episodes can’t hurt.”

Of course, as is the case with Netflix, a few more episodes turned into binging the entire first season. And, before Lydia knew it, her clock read 22:30. “Ah! Crud! I’d better get some sleep right away,” she gasped.

(cont in next post)

Ambyssin

Part Three: Output

Bill adjusted his sky-blue tie as he entered into the conference room. The instant he did, he noticed several heads turn to look in his direction. A large conference table stood in the center of the room. On one side, he spotted his fellow admins. A brief survey showed that he ended up being the last of them to arrive. This was definitely noticed by the other five individuals seated around the rest of the table.

“Good, everyone’s here,” Lance declared, getting to his feet. Bill heard shuffling from the end of the room, and noticed a Dragonite stretch out its back, before curling up into a ball. “We can get started.”

Bill quietly approached the lone empty chair, on the opposite side of the table from Lance. “Nice of you to join us,” Cassius chuckled. “I was starting to think you weren’t going to bother showing up.”

“Mornin’ to you too, Cassius,” Bill sighed.

“Aww, don’t let him get under your skin,” Amanita said, “I’m sure your candidate is going to do great! I mean, assuming they even get to interview in the first place.” She nudged up her glasses. “I don’t want to brag or anything, but once my candidate shows up, they’re probably going to give him the job.”

“Okay, first up we have Miss Amanita’s selection, from Mistralton City. A mister – am I reading this right?” Lance squinted and looked down at the file in his hand.

“That’s Clarence B. Pondexter, III, buddy.”

Lance’s attention fell toward the corner of the room. Standing in the open door was a short, teenage boy with messy, black hair. He wore a white button-down shirt and black-khaki shorts with a set of suspenders over them. A pair of oversized, square glasses sat on his face. Clarence nudged them up and walked in.

“I know it’s an impressive name, I don’t need to hear it,” he declared, sitting down in the chair at the foot of the table.

“Yes… I see,” Lance muttered, sitting down in his chair. “Let’s get started then, shall we?”

“Started?” Clarence scoffed. “Did you not read over the 100-page dossier I submitted to your office? There’s no need to ‘get started.’ I was under the explicit impression this was merely a formality. I mean, after all…” He adjusted his glasses again. “I successfully exposed the major security exploit in Unova’s PC that allowed Team Plasma to access every trainer’s private boxes. Thanks to me, our system is the most secure in the entire world! There isn’t a hacker out there who could crack it.”

Clarence leaned back in his chair. “Try not to let your jaws hit the floor in disbelief.” Bill noticed the members of the Elite Four turn to give Amanita identical skeptical looks in unison. Nervous sweat droplets popped up on her head.

“Yeah, this guy looks like a real go-getter,” Bebe chuckled. “Where did you find him, anyway?”

Amanita looked to the floor. “Well, uh, he might’ve found my house and started knocking on my door and refusing to leave unless I recommended his application…”

“Tell me, Mr. Pondexter,” Karen said, resting her head on her hand, “do you even own any Pokémon of your own?”

“… tch. What an amateur question. Of course I do,” Clarence exclaimed. Bill noticed Lance’s gaze fall toward Will. The masked Elite Four member studied Clarence briefly, before shaking his head.

“Well then…” Lance coughed a few times and closed Clarence’s file. “I think that about wraps things up here. You may return to your room.”

“Wait, you’re not offering me the job right this instant?” Clarence gasped. He raised a hand. “Ah, I get it. You have to consider the other applicants. Political correctness and all that jazz. Perfectly understandable.” He got to his feet and looked over at the PC admins. “I look forward to working with all of you,” he said, and confidently marched toward the door.

Amanita’s glasses went askew. “I told him not to act like that,” she groaned.

Lance rubbed his temples, and then tossed Clarence’s file backward. His Dragonite poked its head up and vaporized the folder with a jet of Dragon Breath. Traces of ash trickled to the ground behind Lance’s seat. “Well then, let’s move on, shall we? I believe Cassius’ candidate is next, yes?”

Cassius nodded. “You know it, brother.”

The door to the room flew open and, to Bill’s surprise, in walked a small Fairy Tale Girl. “Uh, Cassius. That yer candidate’s younger sister or something?”

“Of course not. Don’t underestimate the youth of today, old timer,” Cassius said with a laugh.

Lance immediately got to his feet. “Excuse me, miss. I believe there’s been a mistake here. We’re looking for a Miss Marine Roi.”

“That’s me!” Marine chirped. “I’m oh-so excited to be here today.”

“How old are you, miss?” Lance asked, glancing down at the file.

“19, of course,” Marine immediately replied.

“Soooooool!”

No sooner had Marine answered then an Absol appeared next to Karen’s chair. She glared daggers at Marine. “What’s the matter, Shih-na?” Karend asked. Shina looked up at her and her eyes flickered blue. Karen nodded and turned back to Lance. “She’s lying, sir.”

“What? I am not!” Marine huffed, her cheeks comically puffing up.

“She’s actually 12,” Will spoke up. “Her most recent memory of a birthday is of her twelfth… which was last month.” He leaned back in his chair and let out a yawn.

Cassius (and his chair) fell back onto the floor in disbelief. “Wow, did you really not screen your candidate for age?” Bebe scoffed.

“Her Trainer’s ID said she was 19!” Cassius huffed. “Those Fairy Tale Girls work in mysterious ways. You folks wouldn’t know, you don’t have ‘em running around your region.”

“I believe that this was the only application Cassius didn’t toss right away,” Lanette interjected. “How I arrived at that conclusion is a simple deductive process. Kalos is ripe with ritzy, overzealous parents who try to use their money to get their kids every advantage imaginable. Cassius doesn’t agree with such sentiments, so he threw out every application that came from the kid of a wealthy Kalos aristocrat. Leaving Marine’s as the only one he had to submit.”

Cassius looked up at Lanette from the floor in disbelief. “Heh, looks like she’s got yer number, buddy,” Bill laughed.

“Are you all finished?” Lance said. “Because we still have several of these to get through. Although, at this rate, we’ll done before the League even opens for regular business hours.” He sat down and shook his head. “Bebe, please tell me your candidate is someone reasonable.”

“Of course it is!” Bebe emphatically declared. “They’re an excellent, wonderful, analytical person who…”

“Enough!” Bruno yelled, slamming his fists on the table. “You speak too quickly. And we’re wasting time listening to your babbling. Bring this person in already!”

Lance nodded and pressed the button to open the door. In skipped an older-looking girl. “Hiya! Mira’s ready for the big interview. Lay your questions on me.”

Karen snapped her fingers and Shih-na leaped forward, her scythe flaring up with dark energy. Mira’s eyes widened. “Whoa, what’s with the icy reception? Mira hasn’t even done anything yet!”

“Show her the door, please,” Karen huffed, flicking her wrist dismissively. Shih-na obliged.

“Hey! What was that all about?” Bebe protested once the door had closed.

“I am not working with someone who speaks in the third-person,” Karen harrumphed. “That would just be a disaster waiting to happen. Right, Shih-na?”

The Absol rolled her eyes and then nodded. Bebe’s head fell onto the table. “I guess this means it’s time for my candidate, then?” Lanette muttered.

“Well, there’s also Molayne,” Bill reminded her. “You haven’t said very much. Everything alright with ya?”

“Oh, I’m quite content,” Molayne hummed. “I’m just not all that confident in my candidate’s chances. So, I don’t really have much to offer.” He smiled. “But I look forward to seeing who you and Lanette chose.”

“Okay, let’s bring in Lanette’s candidate,” Lance declared. The door opened once again, and a young, male scientist walked into the room. He had tanned skin and black, slicked-back hair.

“Morning, all. Craig Daman’s the name, studying Pokémon is my game,” Craig introduced himself, giving a bit of a curt bow.

“Are we going to see an actual interview this time around?” Bill whispered, as Craig took his seat. Lanette grinned at this.

“Let’s get started, then,” Lance declared. “So, tell me, Mr. Daman. Why are you looking to be the new Johto-Kanto PC administrator?”

Craig’s brow furrowed. “Wait… this isn’t an interview for the Hoenn PC admin position?” Lanette’s grin promptly vanished. Cassius proceeded to smirk at her. “Oh my, this is quite embarrassing. I must have misread the application. I’m sorry, but I’m not about to move regions, even for a PC admin position.” He got to his feet and dusted off his lab coat. “Terribly sorry to have wasted your time.”

Lance shook his head in disbelief as Craig departed the room. He tossed the man’s application back for Dragonite to burn to ashes. “This is getting ridiculous. Molayne, tell me you have someone picked out who actually wants this position.”

“Aha ha, yeah, about that…” Molayne had a sheepish grin on his face.

“Yo, yo, yo! You interviewers ready to get rocked? Cause once you’re finished with me, you’ll be totally shocked!”

The door flew open and Bill watched a young man in a black tank and shorts walked into the room, throwing one arm in front of the other as he went. He had on a white cap and black bandana that covered his face.

“What is with that ridiculous outfit?” Karen scoffed.

“I can give you a beat for that, girlie,” the grunt declared, gesturing wildly like he was in a rap music video. “Yo, check it. Team Skull may be done, but these duds can’t be beat! They show I’m second to none, and they’re straight up heat. I can tackle a PC, nothing to sweat. Gimme a chance and you’ll see, you won’t be upset!” He thrust his arms to the side and curled his forearms down to his side, turning his body into a makeshift skull.

“… the position’s been filled,” Lance declared.

The grunt’s eyes widened. “Yo, fo real? Then what was the point of flying me out here, homie? I lost mad Z’s with the jet lag.”

“My apologies. We just filled it,” Lance stoically explained. “You can leave now.”

“… tch. You’re gonna be sorry. Team Skull don’t forgive. And we don’t forget. Even if it’s just me, I’ll make sure you’re full of reg–”

Lance’s Dragonite appeared on the side of the table. The grunt threw his hands up in surprise and sprinted out of the room. “This is unbelievable!” Lance groaned. “None of you took this seriously.”

“Um, y’all still have my candidate,” Bill piped up.

Lance glared at Bill. “I hope for your sake she’s everything you say she is.” His Dragonite looked over at Bill, who promptly loosened up his tie. “Okay, send in the last candidate, please.”

The door opened up and Lydia entered, only to stumble en route to her place on the end of her table. She promptly caught herself and gave an apologetic bow. Bill turned in his seat to avoid Lance’s suspicious gaze. “H-Hello,” Lydia said. “I’m, uh…”

“Lydia Castelañeros, correct?” Lance asked. Lydia nodded. “Take a seat there, please, so we can get started.” Lydia did as instructed. “Now, I understand you’re from Alola, correct?”

Molayne leaned in with interest at this. “Yes, sir,” Lydia exclaimed.

“What brought you all the way to Kanto, then?” Lance asked.

“Um, a few different things,” Lydia said. “I wanted to attend a solid university for computer science. I didn’t like any of the institutes that Orre and Unova had, so I turned my attention to Kanto. I ended up enrolling at Cerulean Institute of Technology.”

“And you graduated a few years back, correct?” Will asked, not even looking at the file seated in front of him.

“Yup. I had stayed with my aunt and uncle while I attended. Saved money that way,” Lydia said. “I landed a job in Silph Co.’s Cerulean office after having interned with them while in college.”

“A job which you worked up until a couple of years ago, when you transferred over to Bill’s employ,” Lance noted. “Why the change?”

“I wanted to work more directly with Pokémon, sir,” Lydia replied. “That, and it gave me more time to spend with my cousin. My aunt and uncle had moved back to Alola, but she had reached the age where she could get her trainer’s license. My aunt and uncle wanted her to back with them. So, I stepped in to help.”

“How magnanimous of you,” Lance said. “But what brought you to know Bill, anyway?”

“Oh, that.” Lydia let out a nervous laugh. “Funny story. See, I just so happened to be taking my own Pokémon to the Center for some immunizations. And I ended up running into this nice young girl. Lillie was her name. Turns out she’s the daughter of the Aether Foundation’s president… err, previous president.”

“She was looking to meet Bill. Said she needed him to help out her mother. To make a long story short, I knew about the Sea Cottage and, seeing as she was a fellow Alola native, I thought I’d take her over to see Bill,” Lydia continued. “Bill ended up having a solution to the mother’s illness, but he needed someone to help him operate the machine.”

“Which was you?” Karen wondered.

“Yes. He wound up being impressed by how quickly I learned to operate his system, so he asked me if I wanted to work for him,” Lydia said. “Since part of running the PC involves tending to Pokémon, I leaped at the opportunity.”

Bruno clasped his hands together. “Interesting. So, tell us about your time as a Trial Captain in Alola.”

The PC admins save for Molayne all exchanged confused looks, as did the rest of the Elite Four. “Alola only recently set up a Pokémon League. Before that, they emphasized an Island Challenge. Which had trainers working with their Pokémon to accomplish different tasks.”

“I’m rather surprised you know of that, Bruno,” Lance said.

“… hmph. If it’s battling related, I know about it. And there are battles in those trials,” Bruno exclaimed. “What were yours like, huh?”

“Oh, uh, well… I mean…” Lydia’s face flushed and she poked her index fingers together. “They were, modeled after this one show I liked.”

Bruno crossed his arms.

“I was a fairy-type specialist. So, I decided to have my trials involve theatrics. They were all based around Sailor Cresselia, see,” Lydia rambled, looking down at the floor. “The trainer would play the hero, and their Pokémon would be their vaunted teammates. And they needed to save me by retrieving a priceless artifact from an evil beast called the Frost Queen. Which was actually a Totem Ninetales.”

“Totem Ninetales?” Karen parroted. “Ninetales are fire-types. What would a fairy-type specialist be doing with one as her ace?”

“Remember, in Alola, some Pokémon have taken on different characteristics to better suit the environment,” Molayne spoke up. “In the case of Ninetales, it’s actually an ice and fairy-type.” That drew a raised eyebrow from Karen. “Also, Totem Pokémon are actually specialized wild Pokémon that a Trial Captain trains up to challenge trainers.”

“Though, in my case, I ended up catching the Ninetales. She really wanted to travel to Kanto with me,” Lydia admitted.

Lance leaned in with interested. But, before he could say anything, Bruno jumped in. “So, show us this vaunted Z-Power of yours, then.”

“E-Excuse me?”

“You’re a former Trial Captain. You must have a Z-Ring and a Fairium Z then, no?” Bruno asked.

“How do you know all this stuff?” Karen wondered.

“I told you, I make it a point to learn everything I can about battling. How else can I crush my opposition?” Bruno harrumphed.

“Um… y-yes… I have a Z-Ring,” Lydia said, holding up her wrist to show it off.

“Then let’s see what you’ve got,” Bruno said. He turned to Shih-na. “Well now, off you go!”

“Sol?”

“Go on. Let her use a Z-Move on you,” Bruno ordered. Shih-na flopped onto her belly and shook her head adamantly. “Bah, fine. Lance, send your Dragonite forward, if you would.”

“Argosax, you’re up,” Lance said, snapping his fingers. The Dragonite lumbered to his feet and fluttered to the far end of the room. He landed well behind Lydia. “Well, go on. We’re waiting.”

“Y-You want me to do the Z-Move in here?” Lydia gasped.

“We don’t have all day,” Karen huffed.

“O-Okay!” Lydia scrambled to her feet, adjusting her Z-Ring. “Let’s go, Luna,” she called, and threw a Poké Ball forward. A Clefable materialized in front of her. She raised up her arms, and her fingers started glowing. “No, no, we’re not having a Metronome Battle today, Luna. I need you to start preparing to use Moonblast, okay?”

Cassius slumped back in his seat. “Big whoop. It’s just a Clefable.”

“Hmm, I ain’t never seen Lydia use one of these Z-Moves,” Bill said. “This ought to be interesting.”

Luna raised her right arm and started snapping her fingers. Pink fairy energy swirled around her. Lydia brought her arms up and crossed them in front of her face. “Huh? What’s she doing, a dance?” Cassius wondered. Lydia brought her hands in front of her, forming them into a heart. Then she brought her arms out to the side, and flapped them once. She ended up standing on one leg.

Her Z-Ring flared to life, shooting orange beams of energy to Luna. They encased her in a glowing aura. Argosax’s head titled in confusion. Then, Luna started to sparkle and raced forward. Argosax tried to jump back, but she appeared right in front of him. She bounced from side to side, and then gently poked Argosax’s belly. Seconds later, his eyes widened and an unseen force blasted him back through the far wall, leaving a Dragonite-shaped hole in it.

Everyone assembled at the table (save Molayne and Bruno) sat wide-eyed. A few seconds later, they heard a very loud crash, followed by an anguished cry of, “NO! MY CABBAGES!”

“Good gracious! That was something else,” Bill gasped.

“Well now,” Lance said, rising to his feet, “It seems I misjudged you, Bill. Looks like your pick was spot on after all.”

“Hmm?” Lydia looked over her shoulder.

“Congratulations, Miss Castelañeros. The position is yours,” Lance said. “And I’ll be happy to discuss everything with you after I go fetch Argosax…” His shoulders slumped over. “… and fill out a few incident reports.”

It took a few moments for his comments to sink in. But a big smile appeared on Lydia’s face. “Congrats, Lydia,” Bill said, walking over. “I knew you could pull it off!”

“What are you talking about, old-timer? You totally doubted her from the get-go,” Cassius heckled.

“C’mon Cassius, be a good sport,” Bebe scolded. “I look forward to working with you. You’ve gotta show me some of those other Z-Moves!”

“Aha ha… uh, sure…” Lydia laughed nervously.

XxX​

A few weeks later, Lydia found herself back at the Indigo Plateau. Gone were her formal clothes, replaced by a nice fleece sweater and jeans. She carried a small paper bag with a glass bottle in it. Beside her, little Chiba (as she’d chosen to call her new Eevee) stood dressed in a red poncho with white-velvet trimming. A bow with some mistletoe held the poncho together.

“Ah, good, ya made it,” Bill greeted, opening the door before Lydia could even knock. “Merry Christmas! Come on in.”

“Thanks. Merry Christmas to you too,” Lydia said, walking inside. “I, uh, brought some Alolan wine. Thought you all might like to try some.”

“Great! I’ll just have to keep it away from Spark. Guy likes his drinks a bit too much. Luckily, he seems to have gotten held up somewhere, so he ain’t here yet,” Bill said, guiding Lydia into the conference room. It had been converted into a party space, with a buffet table and several spots for adults to sit. She recognized each of the Elite Four floating about, along with the other PC admins.

“Um, who’s Spark?” she wondered.

“Oh, he’s one of a trio of research associates the League’s given scholarships too. They’re doing battling-related research. Or so they tell me. I swear, every time I see ‘em, they’re just goofing off,” Bill said, shaking his head. “If only I could get old man Oak to sit down and talk to ‘em. He’d undoubtedly set them straight.”

“Hey, yo. Check it! You’re the new PC admin, ain’t ya?”

Lydia looked up and noticed two women approaching her. One had silver hair and a book tucked under an arm. The other, with darker skin and short, brown hair, kept glancing between Lydia and Chiba.

“Uh, yeah. I’m Lydia.”

“Sweet! I’m Candela.” She fist-pumped. “This is great! After all this time, the girls finally outnumber the guys in running PC’s.”

The woman beside Candela rolled her eyes. “I fail to see how gender factors into one’s ability to manage a multi-networked database.” She turned to Lydia. “Forgive my friend, here. Seems holidays are an excuse to dispose of manners. I’m Blanche. I head the Mystic Project.”

“These are two of the researchers I mentioned to ya,” Bill said. “How’re things going for y’all?”

“Adequately,” Blanche replied. “Thanks to some collaboration with Professor Rowan, I plan to publish a paper regarding how Pokémon metabolic rates change when an evolution is imminent.”

“Yeah, yeah, big whoop,” Candela dismissed. She had kneeled down and was looking over Chiba. “Look at this adorable little Eevee! He’s so cuuuuuuute!”

“Ehvuii!” Chiba chirped, stretching up his head so Candela could pet him. “I’d bet he’d make quite the little scrapper in battle. Right, little guy?”

“Actually, his parents are a Sylveon and an Espeon,” Lydia announced.

“Right. Which would suggest that careful, calculated movements are this Eevee’s optimal attributes,” Blanche said. “And would it kill you to go one party without fawning over someone else’s Pokémon?”

“Hey, as long as trainers keep showing up with such cute little fuzz balls, I’m gonna love them to death,” Candela said, with a laugh.

“Well, I can see y’all are busy. So, I’ll leave ya to get acquainted,” Bill said, slowly stepping back from the women, despite Lydia shooting him a look that said she wanted out of this conversation. He turned away and started walking over toward Lance. “So, how are things going for Lydia so far?”

“Very good,” Lance said. “We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback in response to her server upgrades adding multiple Battle Boxes that are always visible when navigating through PC Boxes.” He smirked. “Frankly, I should have hired her earlier.”

Bill rolled his eyes at this. “And you were worried about her. I told you to trust my judgment.”

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

“Did someone call for a little Christmas magic?” a male voice called from outside. Bill started to walk toward the door, when it flew open. Someone stumbled inside, dressed in a full Santa outfit, beard and all. They had a large burlap sack over their shoulder. “Ho ho hoooo! Merry Christmas, everyone! Good ol’ Spark Nicholas is here, with gifts to bring you Christmas cheer!”

Lance facepalmed. “Tell me he didn’t…”

Bill’s shoulders sagged. “He totally did, sir.”

Candela and Blanche had approached the Santa rather quickly, leaving Lydia standing there confused. “Seriously, Spark? I thought after last year you promised us no more costumes!” Candela huffed.

“Aww, come on. It’s not like I intended for one of Lance’s Dragonites to burn my Zapdos outfit. Besides, nobody got hurt. I just lost my deposit on the thing, that’s all,” Spark said, letting out a hearty laugh.

“But it’s embarrassing,” Blanche hissed. “Where did you even procure this ridiculous outfit from?”

“Heh, the mall Santa on Indigo Plateau is a friend of mine. He got sick, so he called me up asking to fill in,” Spark said. “I got $500 for the afternoon and I brought smiles to children and Pokémon! Not a bad way to spend the day before Christmas Eve, eh? And look.” He swung the burlap sack and dropped it to the floor. “I even got to keep all the gifts I couldn’t give out. Fancy that, huh!”

“You were doing that instead of researching? You know your report’s due before the end of the year, right?” Blanche reminded him, shaking her head disapprovingly.

“Ha! I was totally researching,” Spark insisted. “I’ve got plenty of data on how Pokémon’s intuitions let them adapt to our holiday season. Ho ho ho!” He stroked his fake Santa beard.

“And by ‘data,’ you mean whatever you happen to remember from this afternoon. Which is not scientific and can’t be used in your report,” Blanche chided.

“You say ‘to-may-to,’ I say ‘to-mah-to,’” Spark dismissed. “I’ll bet you’re just jealous cause of all the free stuff I got.”

“Um, excuse me?” Lydia spoke up, waving a hand in front of Spark. “Is that a Fire Stone on top of your bag?”

Spark looked down. “Why, it sure is, little miss. Would you like a Fire Stone for Christmas? It’s the perfect present for your little Eevee, there.”

Candela grinned. “Aww yeah, make him a nice, feisty Flareon! I approve!”

“Uh, no. He already said he wants to be an Umbreon,” Lydia dismissed, to which Chiba nodded enthusiastically. “Who in their right mind would want a Flareon anyway? They’re not exactly the most versatile fire-types.”

Candela winced, while Blanche fought to hide a giggle. “Actually, it’s for a friend,” Lydia said, taking the Fire Stone from the bag.

“Well, I’m more than happy to oblige. After all, Santa Spark loves spreading smiles!” Spark declared, earning eyerolls from his colleagues.

“Thanks,” Lydia said. She gripped the Fire Stone tight and walked over to Bill’s location, leaving the three researchers to keep bickering among themselves. “Hey, Bill. Do you still have that Vulpix?”

“I sure do,” Bill said, patting the Poké Ball on his belt. “Why, you need him for something?”

“No,” Lydia said. She held out the Fire Stone. “Here.”

Bill looked down. “Uh, you know I could get me one of these any time, right? I’ve just been a bit busy, so…”

“Consider it a thank you gift,” Lydia said. “For everything that you’ve done for me. Besides, I’m sure my Ninetales would love to have a Kantonian Ninetales as a close friend.”

Bill’s brows raised. “Oh, I see.” He reached out and took the item. “I haven’t really talked it over with Vulpix, but I don’t see why he wouldn’t agree to evolve.”

“Maybe we can set up a little playdate for the two Ninetales in the future?” Lydia suggested, giving Bill a smile.

Bill chuckled. “I think I might have an opening in my schedule for next month. How does that sound?”

“I’ll have to get back to you on that,” Lydia said with a laugh. “Merry Christmas, Bill.”

“Same to you, Lydia.”

“Whoa, Candela! What are you doing?” They both turned to see Spark stomping about in a fit. “That sauce is never going to come out of this costume. They’re gonna make me pay to have it cleaned!”

“It’s your own fault for bringing it, buddy,” Candela said with a laugh.

Bill and Lydia sighed and shook their heads in unison. “Well, if there’s one thing for certain, you should have plenty of entertainment up at the Plateau.”

“True. Very true.”

Fin

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hokay, so first off, I am so jazzed by the fact that you tackled (and succeeded to tackle!) so many prompts at once. 8D At first, I wasn't sure how the magical girl part in Processing tied into the rest of the story, but hearing about Lydia's trial during her interview suddenly made sense. And honestly, I would've loved to see a trial in which you had to direct your pokémon through a magical girl romp, ngl. Or play through one. 8)

That said, I love what you do with the boxdevs as a whole. Lanette is absolutely spot-on, which is not that easy to do, what with the fact that she gets so few lines in the games. Even I don't feel like I nail her character down 100%, but the point is, I love her constant deducing, combined with somewhat smart-alecky comments. Like, that part where she was like, "Actually, Cassius most definitely threw all of the other candidates' applications away" was great. And Cassius! Cassius is hilarious, with his constant ribbing of Bill('s accent) and all. It's very Pokéspec, ngl. ;D

As for Bill, I am always delighted by people's interpretations of him, but I love how much of a Good Boss he is in this one. Like, even though he's not super-sure about how well Lydia would do on her interview, every step of the way, he's super-supportive of her, from his insistence to Lance that she's the right person for the job (despite being from Alola and all) to even the subtle way he directly supports Lydia (waking her up to see the League, telling her about the Elite Four and the GO trio to warn her about certain habits of theirs and all). 10/10 would work for him.

And of course, all of the other characters are amazing, from the hilariously done Lance to the surprisingly drunk Bruno, not to mention Santa Spark. Oh my God, just the mental image of him blowing off work to go help out as a mall Santa and then scoring free stuff. That's, like, absolutely Spark right there. Not as serious as the other two but ten times as lucky. 8) I love it. Also, just the thought of him being a mall Santa. I love how you took that prompt and pumped it up to eleven in the most hilarious way possible because absolutely, that would be great.

And then ... there's Lydia. IN A GOOD WAY. Because she is adorable to incredible degrees. She's just this massive dork, the kind of person who would trip over her own feet (and go hurtling into a bench at the Cerulean Gym) or create this amazing weeaboo magical girl trial based on her favorite sparkle show because she can. Also, ngl, I love how you set her against the parade of candidates too. It really highlighted just how shy and awkward yet secretly competent she is. Like, she's trying her best, and even the Elite Four can see it. Granted, they could see it after she shot Lance's dragonite through several walls and into a cabbage cart (which, by the way, was an excellent touch too—10/10 nearly the best cameo here lbr), but point is, Lydia is awesome, and I'm sure the system is in good hands with her. 8D

(The candidates are all hilarious, by the way. I especially love how you just cameoed Mira. Like. That was just the icing on the cake because hooo, I love the idea of her trying her hand at managing a box system for two regions. And also, the reason for her rejection is both fair and amazing.)

Man, I was gonna say something specific about each part in order, but then I just kinda gushed all over the place about everything but the magical girl bit. So magical girl bit it is to wrap this up in the most awkward way possible! 8D That I loved too. It would've been so easy to just do a copypasta of Sailor Moon, but you threw in elements of a whole bunch of magical girl shows all up in there. There's the name and Darkrai Solgaleo Mask from Sailor Moon, the fact that there's no real leader a la Pretty Cure, the two-stage use of powers a la Wedding Peach (i.e., it's not just "transform and hit things"), and the whole "supervillains are ordinary people given powers by magical things" from Miraculous Ladybug. Not to mention there was just the right amount of on-the-spot exposition to be a delightful nod to all of these things. It was great ... and sparkly too! I loved your creativity with the girls' powers, like the literally star-studded shields and OP wand attacks. And of course, the characters themselves are great here too. Queen Bee is a delightful villain, and of course, it's delightful to know that the girls aren't completely lawful good either. Example: I love how Seiun just straight-up resorted to bribing a classmate so she and the others could go out and save the world. 8D

And of course, I also loved how Lydia was so much of a dork that she was comparing this iteration of the show to the one she grew up with. Aaaaay, Sailor Moon Crystal discourse, amirite? 8D

Uh, in short, all in all, I loved this, and thank you so much for doing it. *high five!* Legit made my day~ ;D

Ambyssin

Hokay, so first off, I am so jazzed by the fact that you tackled (and succeeded to tackle!) so many prompts at once. 8D
Yeah, aha ha. That was me misinterpreting the rules and thinking I needed to handle at least a certain number of prompts. I'm SMRT! :V

At first, I wasn't sure how the magical girl part in Processing tied into the rest of the story, but hearing about Lydia's trial during her interview suddenly made sense. And honestly, I would've loved to see a trial in which you had to direct your pokémon through a magical girl romp, ngl. Or play through one. 8)
Yeah, that was always how I intended to link them up. I figured that, if Alola's professor can moonlight as a pro wrestler, then a Trial Captain could definitely stage her own magical girl romp. Poni Island would be the perfect place for something like that, too.

That said, I love what you do with the boxdevs as a whole.
Well, that makes me happy to here. Especially since, like I said, I wrote it before reading Electric Sheep and seeing your love/interest in the boxdevs play out.

Lanette is absolutely spot-on, which is not that easy to do, what with the fact that she gets so few lines in the games. Even I don't feel like I nail her character down 100%, but the point is, I love her constant deducing, combined with somewhat smart-alecky comments.
That was me clinging as tightly to what little canon we had as I could. I basically boiled it down to: amazing deductive skills and poor organizational skills. That latter factor is my (admittedly weak) reasoning as to why her candidate thought he was interviewing for the Hoenn spot. Her recruiting message was so scatterbrained the guy didn't realize it was for Johto/Kanto.

And Cassius! Cassius is hilarious, with his constant ribbing of Bill('s accent) and all. It's very Pokéspec, ngl. ;D
I should hope so, since that's where I got it from. And, well, he looks like the Punk Guy trainer class, so I was going to play that up for everything it was worth. :V

As for Bill, I am always delighted by people's interpretations of him, but I love how much of a Good Boss he is in this one. Like, even though he's not super-sure about how well Lydia would do on her interview, every step of the way, he's super-supportive of her
That was, again, me attempting to channel Pokéspecial. Namely, the Red and Yellow chapters, where he's rather supportive of both protagonists (and, of course, where he has that accent for some reason). But even in the games, I had this impression of him as a nice guy. Though, I'm pretty sure all the cameos I've seen of him in Nuzlocke-related stories usually have him as some sort of, like, "lives with his mother" type. ;>.>

And of course, all of the other characters are amazing, from the hilariously done Lance to the surprisingly drunk Bruno,
I confess, I was channeling a bit of "overworked government official" into Lance. Drunk was not what I was necessarily going for for Bruno, but I'll take it. His interest in Lydia's job was more supposed to be a nod to the popular fandom theory that Bruno is Hau's dad and, thus, from Alola. Hence, he's the only one who knows about this stuff. Alternative take: despite his "dumb jock" appearance, he actually remembers battling Kukui.

not to mention Santa Spark. Oh my God, just the mental image of him blowing off work to go help out as a mall Santa and then scoring free stuff. That's, like, absolutely Spark right there.
I don't have Pokémon GO. So, in trying to write the team leaders I basically pulled their quotes up and checked TV Tropes and just rolled with it.

Also, just the thought of him being a mall Santa. I love how you took that prompt and pumped it up to eleven in the most hilarious way possible because absolutely, that would be great.
When you asked to have him be Santa, I just jumped right to Mall Santa. It was too goofy of a premise not to tackle.

And then ... there's Lydia. IN A GOOD WAY. Because she is adorable to incredible degrees. She's just this massive dork, the kind of person who would trip over her own feet (and go hurtling into a bench at the Cerulean Gym) or create this amazing weeaboo magical girl trial based on her favorite sparkle show because she can.
Eyup. Basically, in framing her, all I thought to myself was, "Remember, this is the girl who thought handing the title of Trial Captain off to Mina would be a good idea." (And I can say that, since this is a SM-verse story, not USUM-verse!)

Also, ngl, I love how you set her against the parade of candidates too. It really highlighted just how shy and awkward yet secretly competent she is. Like, she's trying her best, and even the Elite Four can see it.
I had always known I was going to do something like this. So I basically went as silly as possible with the other candidates. I channeled American ego into the Unova candidate, for example. And, of course, I had to pick a Team Skull Grunt to represent Alola. Because they're great and Molayne's definitely hands-off enough that he'd just pick one of them.

Granted, they could see it after she shot Lance's dragonite through several walls and into a cabbage cart (which, by the way, was an excellent touch too—10/10 nearly the best cameo here lbr), but point is, Lydia is awesome, and I'm sure the system is in good hands with her. 8D
Similarly, I 100% planned to have her use Twinkle Tackle on a big, strong Pokémon because, let's face it, Twinkle Tackle is the most hilarious Z-Move concept (except for maybe Catastropika and Let's Snuggle Forever).

(The candidates are all hilarious, by the way. I especially love how you just cameoed Mira. Like. That was just the icing on the cake because hooo, I love the idea of her trying her hand at managing a box system for two regions. And also, the reason for her rejection is both fair and amazing.)
That was me just channeling some salt. I'd sic an Absol on Mira too (in fact, I did when she was my doubles partner back in Platinum).

Man, I was gonna say something specific about each part in order, but then I just kinda gushed all over the place about everything but the magical girl bit. So magical girl bit it is to wrap this up in the most awkward way possible! 8D That I loved too.
That was really the most "fly by the seat of my pants" part of the story.

It would've been so easy to just do a copypasta of Sailor Moon, but you threw in elements of a whole bunch of magical girl shows all up in there.
So, my anime viewing is very limited. I've definitely seen Sailor Moon, but I was relying on Wikis and TV Tropes for a little crash course in this stuff (ironic thing is that, after having submitted, I watched Dragon Ball Super and reached a part with a tournament where one of the teams is a walking, talking magical girl parody). However, I was mostly taking a bit of a Bayonetta inspiration, in the sense of "make it ridiculous, flashy, and over-the-top, just because you can." Also, I was pretty confident Sailor Cresselia is definitely a thing established fics have done (in fact, a cursory Google search revealed that FF.net's most popular Pokémon fic had a Sailor Cresselia in-universe), but Sailor Lunala was wiiiiiiide open. XD

I loved your creativity with the girls' powers, like the literally star-studded shields and OP wand attacks. And of course, the characters themselves are great here too. Queen Bee is a delightful villain, and of course, it's delightful to know that the girls aren't completely lawful good either. Example: I love how Seiun just straight-up resorted to bribing a classmate so she and the others could go out and save the world. 8D
Yeah, the reason I picked Victini as one of the girls is because, since it has access to some of the flashiest moves in all Pokédom (V-Create, Searing Shot, the Tao Trio's signature moves, etc.), I headcanon that it is very flashy and over-the-top. Latias was picked b/c Heroes and Pokéspecial have pretty much already made her out to be a magical girl. And, of course, this is Serebii, so Celebi gets in on the fun. And I wanted to make a snobbish, Victorian-esque royalty villain. So Vespiquen is perfect for that.

And of course, I also loved how Lydia was so much of a dork that she was comparing this iteration of the show to the one she grew up with. Aaaaay, Sailor Moon Crystal discourse, amirite? 8D
It wouldn't be the internet if I didn't make of the internet and its penchant for complaining. ^^;

Uh, in short, all in all, I loved this, and thank you so much for doing it. *high five!* Legit made my day~ ;D
Well, it's the least you deserve for all the hard work and putting all of this together. Glad you liked it. <3