• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Z-Moves Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Z-Moves were a new feature introduced in SM. With a Z-Crystal, Pokemon can unleash a powerful Z-Move or give a buff to a status move. And, some Pokemon got Z-Moves that only they can use. Do you think that there will be new Z-Moves, or will this feature be brushed to the side like Mega Evolution?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I can see maybe the odd signature Z-Move popping up here or there, but I don't see a large number of them being introduced, I'd say new megas are more likely. The thing about Z-Moves is that all types are already covered anyway.

PsychoKing47

I hope we don't see Z-Moves return, as they feel way too gimmicky for me and become utterly tedious after a couple of uses. Plus, they don't really feel like they'd fit anywhere other than in Alola, unless the new region (assuming this is a new region, of course) has a very similar tone and atmosphere to that of Alola (as they currently are, Z-Moves would feel ridiculously out of place in Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos at the very least, and the only other current region I could see them making sense is Hoenn, and even that feels like a stretch to me).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I hope we don't see Z-Moves return, as they feel way too gimmicky for me and become utterly tedious after a couple of uses. Plus, they don't really feel like they'd fit anywhere other than in Alola, unless the new region (assuming this is a new region, of course) has a very similar tone and atmosphere to that of Alola (as they currently are, Z-Moves would feel ridiculously out of place in Sinnoh, Alola and Kalos at the very least, and the only other current region I could see them making sense is Hoenn, and even that feels like a stretch to me).
You just listed Alola as a region you can't see Z-Moves in. You contradicted yourself.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
They will definitely be "brushed to the side like mega evolution", but they will continue to be vital parts of the competitive metagame. Just like Mega Evolution gave huge tactical buffs, Z Moves gave huge strategic buffs. We can expect they will try again with some other neat buff but who knows what they will try. Hopefully it won't just be another "item slot in exchange for X" trade.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Id like them back. But with some changes.

First we get a second item slot, this one is exclusively for ZCrystals. That way we can still use other items. Additionally, lets go ahead and throw random lore in there that the energy from M.Evolution, and the "light" from ZMoves are not compatible, meaning you can ZMove and M.Evolve on the same Pokemon.

Second change Id make is giving every ZMove type a second attack form. The gen7 ones would stick around and be used for Pokemon not gaining stab. But a new more crazy looking (maybe more powerful?) Move would be used when your Pokemon has stab.

3rd Pokemon exclusive ZCrystals are gone, instead the correct typed ZCrystal used with the correct move, on the correct Pokemon causes the unique ZMove. For instance. On Snorlax NormiumZ and most Normal Attackd Cause Breakneck Blitz, but when used with Giga Impact we get Polvarising Pancake.

4th, and this is simple. In options menu, option to turn of Zmove dance, Zmove annimation, or both.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think that this time there will be no new exclusive Z-Moves because of the possible introduction of a new battle mechanic. Similarly to what happened to Mega Evolution in Gen 7, Z-Moves this time might as well become a post-game mechanic.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
I was wondering about changing how Z-Moves works as a mechanic.

Firstly change the name to Z-Power to align with mechanic change.

So there are the changes I would make to make it more useful and less gimmicky.

Also I got this idea when reading an old post by reddit user u/Homem_da_Carrinha (I will put the link - https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8dzp9t/idea_type_specific_passive_attributes/). Additionally I wouldn't use what he suggested but merely the concept of the new mechanic.

So the new mechanic would be "Type based attributes". Specifically effects that place when the Z-Power is activated specific to the Pokemon type.

Example of how each Z-Crystal will add attribute its type.

• Ghost type - Life force stealing like effect where the Pokemon steal health every time it attacks the opponent. Or a curse like effect that steals health from the Pokemon that attacks it doesn't effect other Ghosts types..
  • Grass types - regenerate health every turn by a certain amount of every grass type, effect increases in sunlight and make the Pokemon immune to water types.
  • Fighting types - could get a attribute of mastery where its able to copy stat changes of the opponent.
  • Dark types - playing on the concept of them using dirty tricks to battle give the type something similar to M-Kanga's ability
  • Fire types - A scorching ability that acts like a burn (without reducing attack) but effects every opponent every turn at a lower damage percentage. Effect stays while the user Pokemon is in play. Doesn't effect fire types.
  • Ice types - Activates blizzard like effect that slows down every other Pokemon that isn't a ice type.
  • Psychic types - Since they don't have moves to hit 2 Pokemon maybe give them the ability to hit 2 opponents with its attacks with 20% reduced damaged
  • Normal types - Super effective hits get a expert belt like effect but it hits harder.
  • Electric types - Chance to electrify the opponent with a small shock doing more damage after the Pokemon attacks the opponent. Chances increase if Pokemon is paralyzed.
  • Dragon types - They get STAB for the elemental types (GRASS, FIRE, WATER, ELECTRIC) but the boost gotten is lower than a regular STAB boost.
For Special Z-Powers they would give special effects for those Pokemon

Also most of the rules Z-moves currently have will stay while adding new ones.

• One Z-Power is allowed per battle like Megas.
  • Pokemon needs to to hold the crystal
  • Only work on the Pokemon's primary typing meaning water/ground Pokemon are able to only use the Water z crystal. (Not sure if other Pokemon be allowed to use other type crystals attributes)
  • Effect stays until the Pokemon faints.

Also they probably won't be able to retcon something big like Z-moves but they could probably add this to the lore of Z-moves as an extension of its powers. They could probably add it to Gen 8 or even in the DP remakes.

Either give a Pokemon a Super moves or super status

Or give an in battle effect to the Pokemon

Last edited:

JW1004

I just hope both Z-Moves and Mega Evolution will be able to be used during the main game and not be post-game only. That is one thing that bothered me with SM/USUM since I like to do different playthroughs, and also use different things during my play through. I get for this future gen they are not priorities anymore and we probably get a new game mechanism, but we should have a choice during the game to play the game in the way we want to and not be limited. Also make them 'normal' so that a few NPC trainers in the game use Z-moves and Mega Evolutions, maybe even add them to trial captains or gym leaders or whatever we get in gen 8 to add to diffculty and add to strategy. So they are not main focus but are there like trainers are able to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.