• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Z-moves vs (Dyna)Max Moves

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
So how would you compare each Type specific Z-moves vs Max Moves it it comes to the animation and concept?
We have the following:
NORMAL
Breakneck Blitz VS Max Strike

ROCK
Continental Crush VS Max Rockfall

WATER
Hydro Vortex VS Max Geyser

ELECTRIC
Gigavolt Havoc VS Max Lightning

GRASS
Bloom Doom VS Max Overgrowth

POISON
Acid Downpour VS Max Ooze

PSYCHIC
Shattered Psyche VS Max Mindstorm

FIRE:
Inferno Overdrive VS Max Flare

GROUND:
Tectonic Rage VS Max Quake

FLYING:
Supersonic Skystrike VS Max Airstream

BUG:
Savage Spin-Out VS Max Flutterby

GHOST:
Never-Ending Nightmare VS Max Phantasm

FIGHTING:
All-Out Pummeling VS Max Knuckle

STEEL:
Corkscrew Crash VS Max Steelspike

ICE:
Subzero Slammer VS Max Hailstorm

DRAGON:
Devastating Drake VS Max Wyrmwind

DARK:
Black Hole Eclipse VS Max Darkness

FAIRY:
Twinkle Tackle VS Max Starfall

Here are the animations for reference:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Z-moves win most cases when it comes to animations, but Max Moves having those incredibly useful secondary effects makes them better overall.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Z-moves win most cases when it comes to animations, but Max Moves having those incredibly useful secondary effects makes them better overall.
Mostly agree, also we can use 3 different per battle.

As per animation, I prefer Z moves with the exception of The following types:
Normal
Steel
Dark
Fairy
Rock

Max Overgrowth
Max Steelspike
Max Flutterby

For the rest, the Z moves are better in animation and name sounding. Also more powerful, but max moves have pretty cool effects and can be used more than once which is nice

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Nuts to both of those, I miss my Megas! Tell me what was so wrong with Mega Obamasnow and Glacie? How about that coveted MegaZard X? Or do you prefer burning flames GigaZard, because I was just fine with the former.

Max Overgrowth does give us massive exploding bioluminescent mushrooms...

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Nuts to both of those, I miss my Megas! Tell me what was so wrong with Mega Obamasnow and Glacie? How about that coveted MegaZard X? Or do you prefer burning flames GigaZard, because I was just fine with the former.

Max Overgrowth does give us massive exploding bioluminescent mushrooms...
MCX was literally some edgy kid’s fanfiction dream Charizard coming to life. G-Max Charizard somewhat too but at least it’s less obvious. MCY would have been just fine.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Eh, I think Mega Zard X was the best of all three. Although, the color scheme didn't NEED to be Black/Blue, the dang thing really did deserve the Dragon-type. Plus it looks infinitely better than G-Zard and Zard-Y imo.

Kinda ridiculous that the thing has received so much lately. Really hope they shelf it for a while after SwSh, let some other mons stand in the spotlight for once.

On the topic though, Max Moves have much less exciting animations, but they definitely have far better effects. Barring some of the unique Z-Move effects like Kommo-o and Eevee's Z-Moves.

Would just rather they revisit neither and go back to Megas, but that's not happening anytime soon, so... yeah.