• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zekrom

thzekromani01.gif
Predicted Tier:
Uber​
Zekrom

Overview
Our little Robot Dragon. Zekrom is a beast when it comes to Ubers. It plays several differences over Reshiram. It has no weakness to Stealth Rock, and comes with a higher attack Stat in Ubers, which had existed to be a nearly Special metagame. Although Reshiram makes beter use of it's ability, Zekrom works in conjunction with the King of Ubers himself, Kyogre. His typing allows perfect coverage to all except the occasional Steel and Ground. He counters most Kyogre, too. He also has a wider Movepool his opposite stat, with Reshiram having only Outrage and Nitro Charge. He can also play several more roles. Sadly, Zekrom isn't the fastest pokemon around, and most sets are countered by Groudon. As well, unlike Reshiram, he has no way to increase his speed. But look out Blissey, here he comes!

Moves
Lv1: Thunder Fang
Lv1: Dragon Rage
Lv8: Imprison
Lv15: AncientPower
Lv22: Thunderbolt
Lv29: DragonBreath
Lv36: Slash
Lv43: Zen Headbutt
Lv50: Cross Thunder
Lv54: Dragon Claw
Lv64: Imprison
Lv71: Crunch
Lv78: Thunder
Lv85: Outrage
Lv92: Hyper Voice
Lv100: Lightning Strike

TM01 Claw Sharpen
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM48 Sing-A-Round
TM49 Echo Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM57 Charge Beam
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback Dark
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM71 Stone Edge
TM72 Volt Change
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM80 Rock Slide
TM82 Dragon Tail
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Bolt
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Cut
HM02 Fly
HM04 Strength

Abilities
Tera Voltage: Not exactly amazing in Ubers. Only Motor Drive and Volt Absorb block electric attacks, which aren't perfectly common in Ubers.

Possible Sets

Choice
Zekrom @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Tera Voltage
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Volt Change/Shadow Claw
- Lighting Strike
- Stone Edge
This Zekrom is meant to be a Revenge Killer or dominating Sweeper depending on the item. Outrage is a 180 power move backed by 399 attack (or 597) will 2HKO many pokemon in Ubers. Use Volt Change for a revenge killer or Choice Band for a sweeper. Lighting Strike will be the main option, as it has 195 base power. Stone Edge is mainly for Zekrom to hit pokemon he can't normally kill, though it won't be used much.

Anti-Lead
Zekrom @ Lum Berry
EVs: 16 HP / 242 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Change
- Lightning Strike
A Zekrom of this mix deserves recognition. 399 attack from a base 80-Phazing attack is amazing. This Zekrom is simple: Paralyze the opponent and use Dragon Tail, rinse and repeat. Volt Change is if you need a switch away from a Paralyzed pokemon that just switched in you don't think you can handle. Not only that, but Paralyzing, Damaging them and forcing a switch can make your revenge killers and sweepers have an easy time. Lightning Strike, of course, since it will easily KO Lugia, even at max health. The EVs give Zekrom a little extra bulk, and Lum Berry is so you can Paralyze and switch Darkrai.

Special Zekrom
Zekrom @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Thunder
- Charge Beam
- Focus Blast
- Draco Meteor / Volt Change
Special Zekrom. Many people overlook Zekrom's good 120 Base special attack. This set also has a few distinct differences over Reshiram's Physical set. It has a STAB Offensive boosting attack, a better movepool in the other direction, and just more unpredictability in general. Thunder is the main STAB option, so it's best to be partnered with Kyogre. Charge Beam has STAB and 70% chance of boosting Special Attack, which is very welcome. Focus Blast actually works so that Steel Types don't ruin his fun, and Draco Meteor for a massive power attack. This set has unpredictability, and unlike most Zekrom, cannot be counter by Groudon.

Mixed Sweeper
Zekrom @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty / Naive
- Outrage
- Lightning Strike
- Thunder
- Draco Meteor
The BOMB. One of the best sets for Zekrom, as all moves have over 150 Base Power, is not countered by Groudon or Kyogre, and has near perfect coverage. Outrage has 180 base power off of giant Attack, around 354 attack. Lightning Strike will 2HKO Defensive Deoxys-D and Lugia, without Reflect. Thunder will handle the Special STAB, with 180 Base power. Draco Meteor, despite the power drop will have 210 Base power, very powerful.

Team Options
Kyogre is the main Option for Zekrom. It will weaken the power of Reshiram and help to stop Groudon from ruining Thunder. Zekrom appreciates Baton Pass Ninjask to increase it's speed and attack, but can accept passes from anyone. Pokemon with Volt Absorb are NOT good partners in doubles, as Zekrom's Tera Voltage will hit them. Bronzong can handle any of Zekrom's weaknesses. With Palkia you make the "Rain Triangle" consisting of Palkia, Kyogre and Special or Mixed Zekrom, which has a Revenge Killer, Wall and Sweeper respectively and with all three of them your synergy is extremely hard to break, as almost all counters are covered in just those three.

Other Options
Imprison may sound wierd, but if you predict your opponent well enough, they will not use it at all.
Thunderbolt works on Special Sets without Kyogre, as your accuracy will not work.
Claw Sharpen can increase the Power and Accuracy or Lightning Strike, or just accuracy in a special set, fooling the opponent.
Payback will work if you want to test a Tank Zekrom.
Substitute will work for tank too, with 100 base HP, he will survive 100 damage seismic toss.
Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw to handle all those Psychic Types spamming Ubers.

Counters
Groudon can counter almost every one of Zekrom's sets and OHKO it with Earthquake. It can counter the Special by stopping Thunder. It can usually only be beaten with the Mixed Set. Steel / Ground types counter him also very nicely. Darkrai can outspeed Zekrom, give it a sleep status and 2HKO it with Dark Pulse. Unlike most Ubers, it is not countered by Blissey.

Man. I really like Zekrom. I think he looks way cooler than Reshiram, and every other Uber for that matter, and he also gets that awesome Lighting Strike attack with an amazing Base 150 Atk stat. But sadly, he just really doesn't look like he's going to be such a big powerhouse. While Reshiram has unresisted STABs with Turbo Blaze, Zekrom, well, doesn't. And really Troll Freak? No Earthquake? You'd have to fall back on Focus Blast for good coverage. But at least this guy has some use as a powerful physical attacker. I hope to see a lot of him in the future.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Your sets aren't good. Zekrom will not work as a lead as it can't stop 2 layers from deo and custap forry, it gets beaten by groudon and is pretty much outclassed by ray. Thunder can't actually hit anything. Focus blast or cross thunder is way better on the mixed set. Ireally doubt the usefulness of the special zekrom set as the physical set is just better.

Mister_SGG

I think that Zekrom is the coolest new Legendary. Great typing, great movepool, especially.

While
Sp. Attack < Attack
isn't the best for an Electric type, it is great for an Electric/Dragon type. And, it's special attack isn't bad, either. Zekrom can still land a Thunderbolt without it doing poor damage. Cross Thunder is also a great Electric move. Lightning Strike is great, too.
Overall, GREAT Pokemon.

Arsène

Zekrom wishes it had far more better options on the physical side. These Tao Dragons are severely lacking in movepool diversity. Like an above poster mentioned - no Earthquake is a major boon.

Seriously, do I have to fall back on using Focus MISS to hit those vital steels? Sigh, always hope for new tutors in the inevitable third version this generation.

...But being able to OHKO any variant of Kyogre can't be left unnoticed.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
But look at the coverage between these two moves. It is near perfect. Reshiram HAS perfect coverage. Zekrom just misses out.

Arsène

But look at the coverage between these two moves. It is near perfect. Reshiram HAS perfect coverage. Zekrom just misses out.

Near-perfect isn't quite good enough for me when being walled by the likes of Excadrill, Nattorei, and a few others with similar resistance to both of it's STABs.

With no way to boost it's average speed like Reshiram does ala Nitro Charge, I'm afraid Zekrom will remain being limited to a Kyogre check and decent revenge killer with it's scarf set. Anything else is pretty much up in the air for now.

Dattebayo

Banned
I really wished Zekrom wasn't uber due to its typing and base stats after all. I really want to use this beast in my White team, but it's deemed too strong for OU. ;_;

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
on my PO uber team I can often sweep it almost completely after a baton pass from ninjask. two hone claws and some speed boosts and Im good to go.

zekrom @ lum berry
jolly, teravolt
252 attack / 252 speed / 4 HP
- bolt strike
- outrage
- stone edge
- crunch

bolt strike and stone edge have less than ideal accuracy, so thats why I use home claws. groudon isnt a problem because I will use outrage, and lum berry means I can use it twice. crunch handles the uber psychics nicely. The speed boosts make me faster than any dragon as they come out

Cometk

west side
on my PO uber team I can often sweep it almost completely after a baton pass from ninjask. two hone claws and some speed boosts and Im good to go.

Getting boosts passed to you doesn't make you a viable pokemon.

This is why you always carry a phazer...

Fa7e

For choice sets Dragon Claw over Stone Edge
pure special set shouldnt be mentioned imo but if so, Volt Change over Charge Beam and keep Draco M
on mixed
- Outrage
- Lightning Strike
- Draco Meteor
- ocus Blast/Volt Change
and i dont think that "anti-lead"set will work but u should switch those speed into HP, 16 HP EV's isnt exactly "extra bulk"

So his main problem is groudon. But a reliable check to the king of ubers kyogre. Lets think about this.

I feel like he has three main obstacle, Ferrothorn, Groudon, Ho-oh. Although he resists both ho-oh's stabs I wouldn't play chicken with his ability to burn everything. You have to know you can out speed. Ferrothon both stabs are resisted can t-wave us and spikes aren't nice. Groudon makes rushing in with our choice zekrom ready to lay waste to kyrogre with an electric move risky. Baton passing into him I'm sure will result into a sweep very easily but we all know that can be said for a lot of pokes.

Out of all of the poke I've mention groudon is the most common one to look out for. I felt like doing some damage calcs since I went through the trouble of starting to look into how I want to train my zekrom. We cannot kill a bulky impish groudon, with a jolly nature zekrom with life orb or choice scarf predicting the switch and going for outrage getting in two hits. If we are adamant we cannot kill it either with this prediction unless we are life orb (32.4% chance based on min max damage no stealth rock damage included) or choice banded (which will always 2HOK). The danger with adamant/jolly on this prediction is your assuming you've scouted properly and that the incoming groudon is a bulky set for the second hit if its a jolly groudon you may very well bit the dust. The safe play with be to mostly hit and run with dragon claw running raw offensive sets. Plus of course if you they still have a ferrothorn running around on there team it is incredibly unsafe to just outrage.

What I'm thinking is a slightly more bulky variant that does the job of a phazer to deal with everything that may switch on it excepting a simply sweeper.
- Dragon tail
- Substitute
- Fusion bolt/ Bolt strike (up to you)
- Hp fire/ crunch/ stone edge
The ev/nature spread I'm going to figure out which will be best based on my team. (I honestly have no intention giving this info away)

Hp fire is obviously for ferrothorn (will factor in drought). Getting behind a sub will screw over pretty much everything switching in on you. Even if I'm spot on and a set like this is how to do things and it becomes predictable I don't feel like lugia and kyorge can risk fooling with zekrom stabbed electric attacks at all. Choice sets will still be the way to go for other teams. My discomfort with choice zekrom sets is purely how an offensive rock polishing groudon can all the sudden become a quick sweep when the electric move is predicted. Groudon could be be the new uber king if these tao dragons make a big enough of an impact I feel.

Edit: note we can't actually ohok ferrthorn even in the sun with hp fire without giving up a lot of ev investments meaning someone else in the party should deal with him. Scizor will die at least.

I've become more interested in uber metagame, and hopefully a soon health uu metagame cause OU is busted and boring I realized. Weather teams basically have 2-3 turns free turns at the start of the match. reuniclus, latios, garchomp, rotom-w, conkeldurr, scizor, ferrothorn are somewhere on every team.

Regiultima

Rises with Magnetism
I can understand why Zekrom has been placed in the Uber tier. It's pretty obvious to anyone who uses him with intelligence. Here's the moveset I chose for my Zekrom:

Bolt Strike
Outrage
Stone Edge
Hone Claws

Alright, Hone Claws is there to boost Zekrom's attack stat to insane levels while increasing the accuracy of Bolt Strike and Stone Edge. Bolt Strike and Outrage are for STAB damage plus Outrage covers other dragons. Stone Edge is there to take out those annoying ice type. For those of you who don't like being locked into Outrage and then confused, Dragon Claw is always an option.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I can understand why Zekrom has been placed in the Uber tier. It's pretty obvious to anyone who uses him with intelligence. Here's the moveset I chose for my Zekrom:

Bolt Strike
Outrage
Stone Edge
Hone Claws

Alright, Hone Claws is there to boost Zekrom's attack stat to insane levels while increasing the accuracy of Bolt Strike and Stone Edge. Bolt Strike and Outrage are for STAB damage plus Outrage covers other dragons. Stone Edge is there to take out those annoying ice type. For those of you who don't like being locked into Outrage and then confused, Dragon Claw is always an option.

it still needs speed though. thats why I baton pass with ninjask, which actually does alright in ubers for support and can often take down a sashless psychic by itself. in the middle you can send it back out, use protect, and baton pass the speed boost to anyone.

cookies kill you

Like a boss
aww man thats a shame that zekrom doesnt learn sleep talk hed be a beast even though he already is one already XD

Zachmac

I agree. I plan on putting together a Reshiram Analysis next. I figured he was a robot, since during a Cutscene with him, you can see "gears" whirring in his drill tail.
It's supposed to look robotic, since reshiram looks ancient, with Fire representing the past and Electricity representing the Present/Future, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have gears.

Edit:Just watched. That was just the electricity in it's tail swirling.