• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zekrom's Effect on Pikachu; Pikachu's New Move!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
They aren't going to replace Thunderbolt

Pikachu needs a distance move

magicallypuzzled

granted you can do it in the games but it just wouldn't make sense if pikachu wasn't able to use thunderbolt in the anime. besides pokemon use more then 4 moves in the anime not all the time but i happens.

gigabowser20

Or splash.
YES THATS IT!!!!!! I mean, he did make physical contact w/ whatever exploded, and splash has him splash around so he obviously used splash and just so happened to collide w/ the move/whatever and caused an explosion. I mean, pikachu's special right?so why wouldn't he cause explosions when he uses splash?

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
granted you can do it in the games but it just wouldn't make sense if pikachu wasn't able to use thunderbolt in the anime. besides pokemon use more then 4 moves in the anime not all the time but i happens.

Didn't you pay attention to my post a few pages ago? (answer: no one did)
Ever since Sinnoh, Pokemon owned by Ash and co. only can know four moves at a time. When they learn a new move, an old one is never used again. Notice how Piplup stops using Bide when it learns Hydro Pump? or Buizel never using Water Pulse after using Ice Punch? Pikachu hasn't used Thunder since the Hoenn League, and that move was later replaced by Volt Tackle.

The writers don't let Pokemon belonging to main characters use more than 4 moves anymore. If a Pokemon belonging to Ash or Dawn in Sinnoh learns a new move, an old one is never used again. (I'm not sure about Sudowoodo, but the writers don't care about Brock's Pokemon too much).

Anyway, I bet whatever new move it is, Quick Attack is the move that'll be replaced. Thunder Bolt and Volt Tackle are Pikachu's signature moves, and Iron Tail is for battling types that resist electricity (the writers are mostly consistent now with the whole 'electricity can't hurt ground types' thing).

rocky505

The writers don't let Pokemon belonging to main characters use more than 4 moves anymore. If a Pokemon belonging to Ash or Dawn in Sinnoh learns a new move, an old one is never used again. (I'm not sure about Sudowoodo, but the writers don't care about Brock's Pokemon too much).
This is utter BS. They did not limit the main characters pokemon to four moves. Ash's Monferno used Flamethrower,Scratch,Dig,Flame Wheel and Mach Punch which is five moves. His Heracross has recently used 5 moves in the Sinnoh League Megahorn,Sleep Talk,Focus Punch,Hyper Beam, Horn Attack. Yeah most of the pokemon do have only four moves mainly used but they do not limit it to four.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
So its really 4 moves per battle, and whatevs outside of and inbetween battles..Or something, I dont really know :S

But anyway you'd think with Wild Charge/Volt, there would be more charging involved like Volt Tackle..Without any stopping or slowing down. But Pikachu did stop while dodging, and it did slow down when it was jumping on that rock formation. And it stopped glowing completely yellow too.

So it seems to me that its storing power and releasing it for an attack. That jump and explosion at the end possibly was the release (or a different explosion, since previews tend to be like that..). If it was anything like Volt Tackle or Wild Charge Pikachu would just keep running at full force. (Unless of course they just wanted to make it's animation somewhat unique)

So for now I'm gonna guess that thats Charge :B

Last edited:

gigabowser20

YES THATS IT!!!!!! I mean, he did make physical contact w/ whatever exploded, and splash has him splash around so he obviously used splash and just so happened to collide w/ the move/whatever and caused an explosion. I mean, pikachu's special right?so why wouldn't he cause explosions when he uses splash?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Or splash.

Huevo splash!.... for the man who shaves his huevos. I just had to say this.:p

don't you get tired of repeating your same old same old post after post after post? at any rate it's still light screen weither they had a lot of generations to give it to him or not. also double team on buizel would be fricken awesome i would absolutely love it. well except i'd be disappointed it wasn't rain dance another old move that just seems to synergize with buizel so well.

Based on the BW020 preview, it can't be Light Screen, I'm sorry but if you can't see that then wow, God must have given you an incomplete brain.

It looks like an electric type move.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
This is utter BS. They did not limit the main characters pokemon to four moves. Ash's Monferno used Flamethrower,Scratch,Dig,Flame Wheel and Mach Punch which is five moves. His Heracross has recently used 5 moves in the Sinnoh League Megahorn,Sleep Talk,Focus Punch,Hyper Beam, Horn Attack. Yeah most of the pokemon do have only four moves mainly used but they do not limit it to four.

This is not BS, it is a well thought-out observation. This is one of the ways the writers try to be closer to their source material. I've made observation throughout Sinnoh, and never had I seen the use of five moves in a single episode, or main characters using a move that it hasn't before.

I did my research. You, however, are wrong about Monferno, as it never used Scratch; Chimchar did. In the battle between Ash and Paul on Lake Acuity, Chimchar only used Flamethrower, Flame Wheel, and Dig. After evolving, Monferno learned Mach Punch. Scratch was never used again.

As for Heracross, it used Megahorn, Sleep Talk, Focus Punch, and Horn Attack to battle Nando, but Megahorn, Sleep Talk, Hyper Beam, and Horn Attack against Tobias. Both were seperate episode, leaving plenty of time for Heracross to forget Focus Punch.

Finally, in the beginning of the Conway battle episode, Infernape learns Flare Blitz when trying to use Flame Wheel. In the Japanese version, Brock specifically states that Infernape forgot Flame Wheel to learn Flare Blitz. In the Paul vs. Ash battle episodes, Infernape only uses Flare Blitz, Dig, Flamethrower, and Mach Punch. No Flame Wheel at all. Because Infernape forgot the move.

I appoligize for being off topic. Let the Pikachu's new move discussion continue!

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Pardon the Interuption

Sapphire Kirby said:
Brock specifically states that Infernape forgot Flame Wheel to learn Flare Blitz.
Nope.

I want to move on, but not until every user understands that Pokemon in the anime DO NOT forget moves. They are simply limited to 4/5 in battle.

I don't want you to think I'm a liar, so here is where I got that last bit of info:

Dogasu's Backpack is a site that has been around for many years. The man incharge of the site compares the Japanese and English episodes of the anime, and reports the difference. Here is what Dogasu has to say on the subject:
Dogasu said:
Dialogue Edit

After Infernape learns Flame Blitz:

Brock: "Instead of using Flame Wheel, Infernape powered up by learning Flare Blitz. That was great!"
Ash: "Thanks!"

So we start the episode off with the most significant script change in the episode, huh? Alright!

Originally, Takeshi tells Satoshi that Goukazaru forgot Flame Wheel in order to use Flare Drive, implying that the four move per pokemon limit from the games does indeed apply to the TV series despite all the evidence to the contrary. Dub viewers don't get this important piece of information, for no reason.
Dogasu might have a different oppinion then me, but I'm not lying about what Brock said in Japanese. I'm sorry I upset you, but I just want you to know that when Pikachu learns the new move, it'll have to forget something in the process (and by 'forget', I mean it'll never use one of its old moves ever again). If Pikachu does get to keep all 4 of its moves and the new move, then it is a special case that goes against the the writters portrayed in Sinnoh.

rocky505

As for Heracross, it used Megahorn, Sleep Talk, Focus Punch, and Horn Attack to battle Nando, but Megahorn, Sleep Talk, Hyper Beam, and Horn Attack against Tobias. Both were seperate episode, leaving plenty of time for Heracross to forget Focus Punch.

I appoligize for being off topic. Let the Pikachu's new move discussion continue!

Different episodes do not matter, all that matters is the moves the pokemon used at that time, Which was the Sinnoh League. This is not the games Pokemon do not have 4 move slots. Heracross has already proven you wrong.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Pardon the Interuption

rocky505 said:
Different episodes do not matter, all that matters is the moves the pokemon used at that time, Which was the Sinnoh League. This is not the games Pokemon do not have 4 move slots. Heracross has already proven you wrong.

Fine, I'm obviously not going to win here. But what happened to Infernape could had happened to Heracross offscreen.

If Ash and Dawn's Pokemon could use there past moves, then why don't they? I'm sure a Ice Punch/ Water Pulse combination would have been an effective strategy. Mamoswine could have made use of its Dig attack once in a while. But they don't. Even if I'm wrong about Heracross, it's just one loss vs many wins.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Besides the reason on my previous post as to why it can't be Light Screen (that is, it's a stat inducing move, and has no physical contact whatsoever), another reason would be Ash is still not in the league of trainers who are good tacticians and strategists. Apart from a few out-of-the-box strategies, Ash mostly relies on brute strength. For him, offense is the best defense (see below). Now for all of you who are yet to grasp what I have been trying to say, Ash is not yet capable of utilizing Light Screen. Ash is not a trainer like Paul who would deliberately just let their Pokemon take damage. If that was the case, Ash would have taught Swellow the move Facade (Guts + Facade + TunderArmour = annihilation). Also recall how Paul told Electabuzz to use Light Screen to provide strategic advantage to the rest of his team. He also deliberately let Ash's Pikachu make close encounter attacks to his Ursaring, such that its Guts ability would activate given the 3 out of 10 chances of becoming paralyzed from Pikachu's Static. Do you think Ash is the kind of trainer who would use their Pokemon like that? (answer: no)

I am content with the current movepool of Pikachu, but it seems like there's nothing can be done about it since the electric rodent is about to learn a new move. Quick Attack seems like the most plausible candidate to be replaced with the said new move (and I'm pretty sure it's not Light Screen). Quick Attack, as useless and/or unimpressive it may seem, Ash has used that move on multiple occassions to dodge opponent's attacks - as in offense is his best defense. I would like to see how the writers come up with something as witty like that with the new move. *rolls eyes*

gigabowser20

THE MOVE IS DEFIANTLY SPLASH!!!!!! I mean, he did make physical contact w/ whatever exploded, and splash has him splash around so he obviously used splash and just so happened to collide w/ the move/whatever and caused an explosion. I mean, pikachu's special right?so why wouldn't he cause explosions when he uses splash?[/QUOTE]

magicallypuzzled

Anyway, I bet whatever new move it is, Quick Attack is the move that'll be replaced. Thunder Bolt and Volt Tackle are Pikachu's signature moves, and Iron Tail is for battling types that resist electricity (the writers are mostly consistent now with the whole 'electricity can't hurt ground types' thing).

not to mention pauls electivire used thunder, thunderpunch, protect, giga impact, and brick break in the same battle (actually having rewatched the battle it wasn't the same battle but forgetting a move between the paul/barry battle and the ash/paul battle is pushing it. especially since all of the moves electivire could of forgotten are moves he's been shown to know well before the paul/barry battle ever took place.).

edit and also directed at kiba where in the preview for episode 20 did we see pikachu use it's new move?

Last edited:

knux-the-killer

WAS BEEN CONFIRMED!!!

Pikachu will learn Electra ball.
There's the proof! -> http://oi53.*******.com/25z2gw1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.