• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda being water downed even more

Skater Trainer

Like a Boss
Yes thats right, take twilight princess and water down even MORE.

Shigeru Miyamoto only recently made a remark that E3 is no longer a place to introduce new games for the core gamer. Additionally, it has been discovered that the legendary video game mastermind provided a response about making franchises such as Zelda and Mario more accessible. Unfortunately, it looks like those who have been hoping that the next Zelda would ramp up the difficulty won’t find the next Zelda game to be any tougher. If anything, the next Zelda title could be even less hardcore than we’re accustomed to. “Frankly, some of the so-called ‘franchise games’ are quite difficult for nongamers to play, so making accessible games for these players is key. With Zelda, we have to consider how to make it accessible for new gamers to pick up and play and enjoy just as hardcore gamers have. For example, we’ve got the Touch Generations series. Now, we’re not necessarily going to make our “franchise” games in that style, but we’ll take what we know and have learned — the philosophy behind those games — and incorporate it into franchise games. That’s a philosophy that’s very strong at Nintendo.”

Source: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=2069

I don't like where this is going, how much more watered down can you make a game? Zelda is one of the only nintendo series that hasn't changed much as far as difficulty goes, but now nintendo is deciding to fuck it all up.

Discuss

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Good God. I thought Nintendo was making some smart decisions, but Shigeru himself is starting to prove me wrong.

If they really learned anything, then they would keep their franchise games the same, since they were always easy to play, even without a manual.

Emblematic

Lurking...
I thought when you said "watered down" you meant as in Wind Waker water...I was disappointed.

Thank god I like my trusty SRPG's. At least Galaxy wasn't COMPLETELY ripped apart. But if it gets easier from there. I'm leaving. Just gone.

hello moto

Top of the morning
oh dear god NO!, SMG was easy, i think even a blind newbie would beat it. What the hell is Nintendo playing at? What do they want?, kids under 10 playing their games.

Do not water down Zelda, it's a true Nintendo seires that has remained the same, it should be made more difficult not easier. We can have spin-off s of Mario games which can have an easier mode.

Emblematic

Lurking...
oh dear god NO!, SMG was easy, i think even a blind newbie would beat it. What the hell is Nintendo playing at? What do they want?, kids under 10 playing their games.

At least I died a few times while playing it, during the "harder" challenges. But yes, it was quite easy. Thats my point. If it gets easier...game over, for gamers.

Last edited:
At this point I'm questioning even Nintendo's want to keep their hardcore gamers...E3 not being all for hardcore gamers is understandable, but to take a game that was as easy as Twilight Princess and dumb it down...I don't even want to know what the bosses will be like. Seriously, have some simpathy for us hardcore gamers...

The Baron

do i dazzle you?
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

No not Zelda, Hopefully they don't do it to Zelda but some other game series like Pikmin. Zelda deserves to be hardcore and hard and awesome.

:x :x :x :x :x :x

Rhonin the wizard

STOP EXAGGERATING
Here is exactly what he said:
1UP: With your new focus on user-friendly controls and playability, will this approach play into, for example, future iterations of Mario and Zelda? Will this affect game design in any way?

SM: Frankly, some of the so-called "franchise games" are quite difficult for nongamers to play, so making accessible games for these players is key. With Zelda, we have to consider how to make it accessible for new gamers to pick up and play and enjoy just as hardcore gamers have. For example, we've got the Touch Generations series. Now, we're not necessarily going to make our "franchise" games in that style, but we'll take what we know and have learned -- the philosophy behind those games -- and incorporate it into franchise games. That's a philosophy that's very strong at Nintendo.

Dattebayo

Banned
You guys, stop overexaggerating just because Nintendo decided to make the Zelda franchise easier. I think it's a good idea. We need accessible Mario and Zelda games to appeal casual gamers in order to increase their video game fanbases.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
Good God. I thought Nintendo was making some smart decisions, but Shigeru himself is starting to prove me wrong.

This is a smart decision. Nintendo is a company, companies want to make money first and foremost, casual gamers outnumber the "OMGHARDCURR GAMERS" meaning appealing to them will probably get you more money. As the success of the Wii has already shown, this business plan seems to be working. Besides, the Legend of Zelda's never been a difficult series.

This is a smart decision. Nintendo is a company, companies want to make money first and foremost, casual gamers outnumber the "OMGHARDCURR GAMERS" meaning appealing to them will probably get you more money. As the success of the Wii has already shown, this business plan seems to be working.

I agree with all of this, but still. Little to no appeal towards the hardcore gamers? C'mon! At least some. [/startingtosoundlikeawhinyfanboy]

Besides, the Legend of Zelda's never been a difficult series.

At least make them hard enough so you must think to get through them. And might I just point out the Water Temple? Recall the first time you went through that and tell me it was not easy. :/

woot21

super noob
You guys, stop overexaggerating just because Nintendo decided to make the Zelda franchise easier. I think it's a good idea. We need accessible Mario and Zelda games to appeal casual gamers in order to increase their video game fanbases.
*facepalm* NOOOOOO!!!!!! Zelda and Mario should not be dumbed down. TP was too easy, there were no temples that frustrated you to no end, no bosses where as hard as Dark Link was even, without using Din's Fire. I want the epic boss battles, that actually require you to think it out yourself. The best boss in TP was Stallord, simply because there was more to it than use the item from the dungeon in the way you have been the whole time through out. And to be honest even he was easy enough. The only problem I had was at first jumping correctly. I actually died more times in the first room of Goron Mines than all other points in the game combined, yes my jumping was that bad. Wind Waker, which I first completed after TP was harder than TP. I do know TP was a good game, but it wasn't a good Zelda game, you know what I mean? Actually this can be said about quite a few recent Nintendo "core" games. Super Mario Sunshine, definitely an over par Mario game (anyone who golfs will under stand why I didn't say subpar), Star Fox Assault, again not a good Star Fox game because it strayed from what made the games good in the first place. Nintendo needs to stick to what it does best for each series, Mario that is the innovation, and the superb platforming. Zelda the epic adventures and the challenging difficultly, games that will actually pull someone into that genre of game. OoT of time actually turned me into more than a causal gamer. Before I had ever played OoT, the only "hardcore" games I had ever beaten where SMW, DKC, and TMNT4:TiT, otherwise I played mainly games like Uniracers, Mario Kart, sports games, Zoop, etc. Now to be honest I really doubt there is a newer game out there that could really get me to play the more hardcore series on a regular basis, unless I already play those kind of games. Star Fox the fun on-rails shooting, with some levels in "All-Range Mode", and no fucking on foot segments.

EDIT:
And might I just point out the Water Temple?
I still have some trouble with it, even after 10 or so playthroughs. Man I hate that Temple.

woot21 out dawgs

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
*facepalm* NOOOOOO!!!!!! Zelda and Mario should not be dumbed down. TP was too easy, there were no temples that frustrated you to no end, no bosses where as hard as Dark Link was even, without using Din's Fire. I want the epic boss battles, that actually require you to think it out yourself. The best boss in TP was Stallord, simply because there was more to it than use the item from the dungeon in the way you have been the whole time through out. And to be honest even he was easy enough. The only problem I had was at first jumping correctly. I actually died more times in the first room of Goron Mines than all other points in the game combined, yes my jumping was that bad. Wind Waker, which I first completed after TP was harder than TP. I do know TP was a good game, but it wasn't a good Zelda game, you know what I mean? Actually this can be said about quite a few recent Nintendo "core" games. Super Mario Sunshine, definitely an over par Mario game (anyone who golfs will under stand why I didn't say subpar), Star Fox Assault, again not a good Star Fox game because it strayed from what made the games good in the first place. Nintendo needs to stick to what it does best for each series, Mario that is the innovation, and the superb platforming. Zelda the epic adventures and the challenging difficultly, games that will actually pull someone into that genre of game. OoT of time actually turned me into more than a causal gamer. Before I had ever played OoT, the only "hardcore" games I had ever beaten where SMW, DKC, and TMNT4:TiT, otherwise I played mainly games like Uniracers, Mario Kart, sports games, Zoop, etc. Now to be honest I really doubt there is a newer game out there that could really get me to play the more hardcore series on a regular basis, unless I already play those kind of games. Star Fox the fun on-rails shooting, with some levels in "All-Range Mode", and no fucking on foot segments.

EDIT: I still have some trouble with it, even after 10 or so playthroughs. Man I hate that Temple.

woot21 out dawgs

Nice Autobiography. But Zelda has never been hard, only mind-numbingly annoying. For Example, Water-Temple. It's not hard, per se, but extremely annoying if you don't know what to do.

Rootbeer

Why does everyone hate the Water Temple? Aside from Shadow Link it was incredibly easy. The Shadow Temple was annoying.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
You know what I want to see?

A game as easy as Phantom Hourglass to draw in casual gamers, but with two or three optional crazy-hard dungeons that would make even Zelda II look like a pussy.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
There should be a difficulty setting for these games then to appease both crowds. But if games got harder as the game went along that'd be fine too.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
i don't know if you should take 'accessible' as 'easier game'. it could also mean easier controls.