• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
I knew Fi was going to die or something by the time we first knew about her.

So I prevented myself from getting attached to her to not feel sadness.

It wasn't hard at all.

Oye....some of us have been lazy and haven't had time to finish the game....spoilers >_<

Wind waker's awesome so i was going to get for my wii so i could play it on there. Is wind waker hard ? My friend says it is. Now a good final boss fight for zelda would be LoZ Skyward Sword. The fight was awesome and demise just looked cool.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Wind waker's awesome so i was going to get for my wii so i could play it on there. Is wind waker hard ? My friend says it is. Now a good final boss fight for zelda would be LoZ Skyward Sword. The fight was awesome and demise just looked cool.

You're probably going to have a tough time finding a copy of Wind Waker, though it's well worth it. And no, it is not hard.

woot21

super noob

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It doesn't get tedious until you run into the Triforce quest. And then collecting the needed Rupees every time.

woot21 out dawgs

I had more than enough Rupees to decipher all of the charts, and I really enjoy the sailing. When it comes to Wind Waker, I'm that guy everyone hates. That game can do no wrong in my mind, I enjoy just looking at it.

I had more than enough Rupees to decipher all of the charts, and I really enjoy the sailing. When it comes to Wind Waker, I'm that guy everyone hates. That game can do no wrong in my mind, I enjoy just looking at it.

I'll jump on whatever bandwagon you're taking, because I'm this guy, too. Recently played Wind Waker for a 3-heart run and I gotta say, it's competing now to be my favorite game ever, even though it had always been in second to the obvious~

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Wind Waker used to be my favorite, but after a recent playthrough of it (a couple of months ago), I've found a bunch of nagging issues I have with it.

Perhaps it's just that my tastes as a gamer have changed since I last played it, or maybe it's the fact that Skyward Sword recently wowed the everloving hell out of me (the two may or may not be related), but I find that I don't enjoy sailing as much as I thought I did. It takes far too long to get from place to place, especially if that place isn't in a cardinal direction and right next to the island you're leaving from. Change the wind, wind-changing cutscene, sail for 5-7 minutes to your destination, whoops slightly overshot the island gotta turn around and sail slooooooooowly towards the coast and/or majorly overshot the island gotta turn around and change the wind, wind-changing cutscene, etc.

It's quite tedious, especially in the first half of the game when you don't have access to the Ballad of Gales. Furthermore, I used to give the Great Ocean a lot of props for having a lot of content/islands to explore, but...what kind of crack was I smoking back then? A good third of those islands are nothing but mini-gauntlets, most of them with the same layout (3-5 doors with a medium-sized central area and various enemies to kill inside each door) and meh rewards (yay, a rupee that I can't fit in my largest wallet anymore because this game throws money at me like a drunken dad throws his redheaded stepson at the wooden door). It's fine the first few times, but gets boring to me pretty quickly. Another good third of them are nothing but housing areas for treasure chart...erm, treasures. Not really the type of thing I find very entertaining. I like games with lots of content, but when a bunch of that content is doing the same thing over and over, it tends to grate on me. There's a reason I've never 100%ed Wind Waker like I've planned to in the past, and that's the main reason why.

I find the pacing generally awful as well. I judge each Zelda game by the time it takes to get to the first traditional dungeon. I don't really count Forsaken Fortress, as it's basically a glorified stealth mission until the very end when you finally get your sword back to kill a whopping one enemy and get tossed across the ocean. So, that's Outset, Forsaken Fortress, text dump, Windfall, saaaaailing, doing a bunch of menial tasks for the Rito, THEN the first dungeon. I've played Wind Waker dozens of times, and yet that whole sequence of events still takes me a good, what, 2-2.5 hours to get through? That's way too long to get to what I consider to be the meat of the game, and unlike Twilight Princess, I didn't even find most of the stuff until then to be particularly interesting.

Still speaking of the pacing, the goddamn Triforce Quest, oh Geebus. To be fair, searching for the Triforce Charts was quite fun. Especially the Ghost Ship + resort ones. Looooved those two. What killed me was searching for the actual shards. Those damn light beams barely helped me, considering they disappear while I'm still too far away from the treasure for me to get an exact bead on where it is and what follows basically amounts to a pixel hunt. A lot of times, I end up uncovering an Octorok instead, meaning I have to fight it off and by then, I've lost my bearings, meaning I have to back waaay up so that the light beam shows up again to repeat the process and arglebarglebargle. Also, having to deal with Tingle in any context is arglebarglebarglebarglebarglebargle. God, he creeps me the hell out. >_>

Another problem I had is the dungeons. For me, I consider the dungeons to be the meat of the Zelda series, the very reason I play the games. I was quite disappointed by the majority of them. Not until The Tower of the Gods did I think they started to pick up, and even then, I only got a lot of enjoyment out of that, and the two Sage temples. The partner mechanic for those two was admittedly interesting, but I think that they hurt my experience with the temples more than they helped. I didn't particularly like using a song to switch between characters every time I needed one of them to solve a puzzle. Found it quite tedious, really. Medli was mostly fine control-wise, but controlling Makar's flying through the Wind Temple's confusing central room kinda ticked me off. Thankfully, I enjoyed both dungeons' layouts and puzzles well enough, and that was enough for me to come out of them with (mostly) positive feelings afterwards. The final dungeon disappointed me, too. I'm not at all a fan of the "reuse layouts/themes for every dungeon up until now" thing. Screams "lazy" to me, you know? Although the final battle was pretty kickass, I'll readily admit.

Wasn't very impressed with the music, either. This might be blasphemy to say, but (until Skyward Sword) I've never been much of a fan of Zelda music. Focuses a tad too much on ambiance/mood-setting for my liking, especially for dungeons. I tend to find the concert/live-performances far more interesting than the actual in-game music. While this was less true for Wind Waker, what really made me dislike its music was the sound quality. Oh god, that synth quality, ugh. Not nearly as bad as Twilight Princess', but it's definitely up there for me. Music is a huuuuge part of gaming for me, and my disappointment with WW's was a big strike against it.

Adding to those are my mostly minor issues with it. Flat facial textures, Tetra being relegated to little miss rescue me at the halfway point, etc. It may sound like I hate the game, but I really don't! I still love like it! The art style is fantastic (if a bit loud), the characters are full of personality, it has the best version of Ganondorf, some of the best enemies in the series (F*ck yeah, Darknuts!)... I just love it a looooot less than I used to. :|

Last edited:

ManhattanTheStarr

Same for me. I pretty much hoarded Rupees throughout the game, so I had way more than enough. But finding the places that held the triforce shards was pretty annoying...

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I typically go through Zelda games following a guide. I don't have time to discover where everything is, so having something just tell me so I can go there and do what I need is what I prefer.

Aurath8

But that ruins the entire enjoyment...

I have to agree with you there. Getting stuck and finally figuring how to beat a puzzle/enemy after trying out every possibility are my favourite parts of Zelda games. I actually look forward to getting stuck just so I can feel that wave of revelation 10ish minutes later.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I have to agree with you there. Getting stuck and finally figuring how to beat a puzzle/enemy after trying out every possibility are my favourite parts of Zelda games. I actually look forward to getting stuck just so I can feel that wave of revelation 10ish minutes later.

Knowing where to go and solving a puzzle are two different things. Besides that, I get enjoyment from just playing the game, not wasting my time getting nowhere.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
I concur, but don't you just love that feeling / sense of pride when you finally figure something out? Excercising your mind and obtaining the reward is definetly the funnest thing about Zelda, In SS I found they decreased the amount of puzzled and added more mechanisms that you needed to be aware of to advance forward.Like the trap door ropes and the water plants magma flow maze in the Sky Keep.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I concur, but don't you just love that feeling / sense of pride when you finally figure something out? Excercising your mind and obtaining the reward is definetly the funnest thing about Zelda, In SS I found they decreased the amount of puzzled and added more mechanisms that you needed to be aware of to advance forward.Like the trap door ropes and the water plants magma flow maze in the Sky Keep.

I totally understand that feeling, and there are some games that I prefer to figure out myself. With Zelda though I'm just along for the adventure and watching how the game plays out. I just don't typically play video games to challenge myself, I play video games as a way of relaxation. If I wanted to challenge myself I'd go practice my math or something.