• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
You could skip around in the original. In my second quest I started like this: dungeon 2,1,4,6,3,7,5 then back to in order. Basically ran around in the overworked like a chicken with its head cut off, come across a dungeon, and go in- no matter which one it was

Thriller

Its almost time
Seriously though guys, despite my silly complaining about small things, I'm so happy to see this come out. The story of the Wind Waker was just what the OoT lover in me wanted. I gotta be honest, I never was gaga over the "Celda" style, but it did fit in with what the game was supposed to be presenting.

An HD remake of this is more than welcome - I'm only hoping they do tweak something - make a new dungeon to replace that annoying Triforce Fetch Quest.

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Definitely getting WWU. Is it just a remake?

DarkOverlord777

The Dragon Mage
So, Nintendo, what about that "original" legend of zelda game you claimed you were working on for the Nintendo 3ds? Hm?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Definitely getting WWU. Is it just a remake?

Yeah, but they'll probably be some minor QOL improvements.

They stated they're going to 'tune up the overall game experience'. That's what has me most worried. I don't like meddling.

So, Nintendo, what about that "original" legend of zelda game you claimed you were working on for the Nintendo 3ds? Hm?

This Nintendo Direct was all about the Wii U, naturally they weren't going to talk about 3DS games.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
They stated they're going to 'tune up the overall game experience'. That's what has me most worried. I don't like meddling.

I just assume that they was going to add the thing that was originally was cut to meet deadline.

Anyway hearing this new made me change my mind and pick up a Wii U in the summer, Man I can't wait until E3.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't really think they're going to add any major content, this is a game meant to be put out relatively quickly to hold people over. Now before some of you get your panties in a bunch I'm not saying it's rushed, just that I doubt they're spending the usual amount of time on it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
But... based on what? They could have had this in development a year ago, and we'd have had no idea.

I'm guessing they definitely had this in development a year ago from the sounds of what Aonuma said in the Nintendo Direct. He mentioned that it basically came about from the experiments they were doing with different art styles while beginning work on the original title. Two years or so isn't a very long development time where Zelda is concerned.

Also, I think Iwata or Aonuma would have mentioned that they were adding new content, rather than saying they were doing a 'tune-up'.

BCVM22

I'm guessing they definitely had this in development a year ago from the sounds of what Aonuma said in the Nintendo Direct. He mentioned that it basically came about from the experiments they were doing with different art styles while beginning work on the original title.

Okay. So what's your basis for thinking this won't have a long enough development cycle?

Two years or so isn't a very long development time where Zelda is concerned.

From scratch? No. But this game isn't strictly being designed from scratch, as I'm sure you well know.

I'm just curious from where the concern arises that the game isn't going to spend enough time in development.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay. So what's your basis for thinking this won't have a long enough development cycle?

From scratch? No. But this game isn't strictly being designed from scratch, as I'm sure you well know.

I'm just curious from where the concern arises that the game isn't going to spend enough time in development.

I have no such concern. Merely saying I don't think they're spending time on it to add new content. Besides new control schemes and little things like that. I'm talking more along the lines of no new dungeons etc.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
They couldn't have been more faithful to the original charm and feel of the game. It's exactly how it should look ten years later. Most of the screenshots you see are specifically aiming to show off the new lighting, it is not going to look like that during actual play. Think about it, most of the camera angles can't be obtained from regular play. Beyond the bloom everything is perfect, the colours are all the same, the textures are the same but higher resolution and the models are all the same, albeit with many more polys.

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced. Usually I would be ecstatic at the idea of a Wind Waker HD remake but the way they're going about it... it's just wrong. It's not Wind Waker. As always, I'll reserve judgement for when I actually play it but at the moment.... argh, I'm really trying hard to like these screenshots but I'm really having a hard time of it. I guess we just have very different idea of how such a unique art style such as this should evolve with time (imo, the original is still pretty awesome even compared to today's games and a remake is the last thing I would have anticipated Nintendo to whip out).

Ah well. As long as they don't tamper too much with the game then I'll probably be fine with it.

BCVM22

Here's the question, then: in an HD remake of a decade-old game, what would going about it "right" entail, in your estimation?

By definition, such a project is going to look different to some degree, otherwise there's zero point in doing it this way and they might as well just release a straight port digitally or whatever.

Rowdy

The first thing they need to improve is the speed of the King of Red Lions, X2 or X3 sounds good. That or make the distance between islands shorter or fix the warping locations.

Oh and Tingle triforce hunting and a whole other list of problems that I hope they fix.

The best way I can think of to increase Red Lion's speed is through bigger sail upgrades you can either buy, find, or win upon the many islands.