• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

phanpycross

God-king
Wind Waker was definitely great, but this seems to be completely different. It still had a world filled with characters, villages, and random buildings. It was just the ocean in between that was empty. What I'm worried about is that Aonuma takes his interest in the NES world too far, rather than merging it with games like WW to make an open world that is free to explore, but still dense with different characters and things to do.

I REALLY doubt they would do that, seeing how big this release is for nintendo, I bet they have lots of people to calculate how to appeal to as many people as possible.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I almost didnt want to watch the Awards, given its history on SpikeTV. Havent watched since 2011, but I gave it a shot. Glad I did, though, and it wasn't a complete train wreck.

The Zelda reveal was pretty cool I'll admit. A large overworld is something I'll be looking forward too. The Epona AI and the slow mo mid air bow/arrow shooting looks stunning.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I almost didnt want to watch the Awards, given its history on SpikeTV. Havent watched since 2011, but I gave it a shot. Glad I did, though, and it wasn't a complete train wreck.

The Zelda reveal was pretty cool I'll admit. A large overworld is something I'll be looking forward too. The Epona AI and the slow mo mid air bow/arrow shooting looks stunning.
Epona's AI is still dumb. It collided with one or two horses, and it was sliding on the ground in a few scenes, with the rocks blocking the way.

Seachran

I REALLY doubt they would do that, seeing how big this release is for nintendo, I bet they have lots of people to calculate how to appeal to as many people as possible.

Maybe it's not something they intentionally want to do, but it is inevitable that the bigger they make the world, the less dense it will be. I wouldn't consider that a problem though, because they could have a similar amount of content just be really spread out. Like I said, it's hard to tell now with so little information. This area could just be for tech demo purposes.

As for appealing to a wide audience, that problem has mostly been solved by having an older Link and getting rid of Skyward Sword's watercolor style. It looks very clean now, but still full of color. I don't see this style dividing people the way WW and SS did.

Grey Wind

Yeah the world did seem a little too barren for my liking, but I guess it could just be a result of it still being in development. I love the idea of an open world Zelda though, I hope they take this chance to include a larger variety of races (Zoras and Gorons obviously, and it'd be cool to see the Kokiri/Koroks again and maybe the Mogmas or the snow people from ST). Larger and more interesting settlements are a must too.

Zachmac

Maybe it's not something they intentionally want to do, but it is inevitable that the bigger they make the world, the less dense it will be. I wouldn't consider that a problem though, because they could have a similar amount of content just be really spread out. Like I said, it's hard to tell now with so little information. This area could just be for tech demo purposes.
It is a problem with travel becomes too tedious, and 3D Zelda has a relatively bad-ish history of that. Wind Waker had cool places to visit, but going back and forth between them could get kind of boring.

I hope they add a checkpoint system system similar to ALBW, but I'm kind of worried they won't.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
So we didn't get an epic, all guns-blazing, seat-wetting showstopper of a reveal. I don't mind. The game looks great and that's all I really care about.

Have to agree with the comments saying the overworld looks a little barren, however. I hope they're not going to do essentially what OoT Hyrule Field did and have space simply for space's sake. Or maybe I've gotten too used to the utilitarian compactness of SS.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
They could add some more things in between now and the games release. With a game world that large I'm sure they wont leave it completely barren, we also didn't get to see a great deal of it.

Last edited:

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I'm sure their still gonna improve on the AI with the horse running into other horses, the slight gliding that it does, etc. The fact that it doesn't run into tree's, or you don't have to really use the controls while riding leaves the player the option to multitask. Looking at the map, going into your inventory, fighting enemies on horseback, etc.
I got really excited seeing how huge the map is, especially considering how it took them to reach the marker which didn't really look that far on the map. One concern while watching was that there really wasn't that much action going on while they were playing. Exploring this large map and seeing all the wonderful landscapes will be amazing....but it'll get a little tedious traveling if nothing really happens unless you get near a dungeon. I just hope they add the random events like they showed in the first cinematic trailer. Lot's of baddies appearing at night, etc.

Anyways, I'm excited for this game and after seeing this gameplay footage I can't wait to play it.

Aurath8

I'm with other people on Zelda U: It's not about the size of the overworld, but rather what you can do with it. That means settlements, Wind Waker-style mini-dungeons and interesting characters. Also all the random stuff you can do. Collecting and eating apples was already mentioned in the trailer, and its distractions like that that make the world feel like its full of stuff to do.

I'm also interested as to how we'll interact with this large lakes and other inland bodies of water #windwaker2k15.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Funny how the reveal of the gigantic Hyrule overworld got me more excited for the game while others wanted a better showcase. It was essentially a teaser and it did its job.

zelda games usually dont have much going on in the overworld. would be cool to see one that does though

This is what I'm worried about, if anything. The overworld didn't look too lively until they got to that monument where enemies spawned.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Funny how the reveal of the gigantic Hyrule overworld got me more excited for the game while others wanted a better showcase. It was essentially a teaser and it did its job.

This is what I'm worried about, if anything. The overworld didn't look too lively until they got to that monument where enemies spawned.
Twilight Princess got a big world too, and that was still mostly barren and lifeless.

I'm sure their still gonna improve on the AI with the horse running into other horses, the slight gliding that it does, etc. The fact that it doesn't run into tree's, or you don't have to really use the controls while riding leaves the player the option to multitask.
I don't think the AI will be fixed. Perfect AI in games won't be happening for a long time, if ever. Hopefully Epona can jump. Sliding because there was a rock in her pathway was jarring. And letting the game take you from Point A to Point B is old. New for the Zelda franchise maybe, but other games have been doing this in forever. In GTAIV for example, the taxi cabs will never hit any cars along the way, and it will react to traffic lights accordingly.

Last edited:

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I don't think the AI will be fixed. Perfect AI in games won't be happening for a long time, if ever. Hopefully Epona can jump. Sliding because there was a rock in her pathway was jarring. And letting the game take you from Point A to Point B is old. New for the Zelda franchise maybe, but other games have been doing this in forever. In GTAIV for example, the taxi cabs will never hit any cars along the way, and it will react to traffic lights accordingly.
Of course I'm not asking for it to be perfect. Just needs to be improved upon still. The game looks pretty amazing so far, but still needs a lot of work(which was already said that the team is hard at work).

The openworld is better than I had expected, I'll enjoy exploring as much of it as I can when the game comes out. As much as I'll enjoy every now and then some quite riding through the land, I really hope there's a nice balance of peace and chaos with the random events mentioned at E3. The other Zelda game I can compare it to that I've played is OoT, where not much happens in the Hyrule Field. As big as this world looks I seriously hope this won't happen.

Zachmac

I suppose I should knock off the pessimism. I do enjoy some things about large worlds. I found sailing around in WW or riding around on Epona in Twlight Princess enjoyable at times, even if it was tedious at others.

It only really becomes tedious when I have to backtrack, however. I'm really hoping for bird statues or weather vanes or something to warp around with conveniently.

Grey Wind

One concern while watching was that there really wasn't that much action going on while they were playing. Exploring this large map and seeing all the wonderful landscapes will be amazing....but it'll get a little tedious traveling if nothing really happens unless you get near a dungeon. I just hope they add the random events like they showed in the first cinematic trailer. Lot's of baddies appearing at night, etc..
I imagine that was just for the purpose of the demo, they probably just wanted to show off the scenery and not have to worry about running into enemies all the time.

I'm with other people on Zelda U: It's not about the size of the overworld, but rather what you can do with it. That means settlements, Wind Waker-style mini-dungeons and interesting characters. Also all the random stuff you can do. Collecting and eating apples was already mentioned in the trailer, and its distractions like that that make the world feel like its full of stuff to do.
Yeah, I'd prefer a small overworld packed with stuff than a large one that's virtually empty. Zelda does do sidequests and interesting characters incredibly well though, so I'm expecting it to be full of stuff eventually. I do really want to see some interesting settlements though, they always tend to have one hub town (Windfall, Skyloft etc.) and then confine everyone else to living in caves. It'd be interesting to have, say, a Goron city similar to the likes of Kakariko, with multiple sidequests and a proper village feel.

Seachran

Exploring this large map and seeing all the wonderful landscapes will be amazing....but it'll get a little tedious traveling if nothing really happens unless you get near a dungeon. I just hope they add the random events like they showed in the first cinematic trailer. Lot's of baddies appearing at night, etc.

I'd like to see them add some rpg elements, or anything else to make fighting the weak enemies more rewarding. It doesn't have to be a strict exp/level up system, but there are other options that would offer more permanent incentive than rupees.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I'd like to see them add some rpg elements, or anything else to make fighting the weak enemies more rewarding. It doesn't have to be a strict exp/level up system, but there are other options that would offer more permanent incentive than rupees.

I think they should add brewing, where some enemies may drop materials you can brew to make potions to use, like healing or strength to use in battle.

Zachmac

I think they should add brewing, where some enemies may drop materials you can brew to make potions to use, like healing or strength to use in battle.
Or similarly, I really liked the upgrade system in Skyward Sword. It was really rewarding but didn't really force you to grind for any long periods of time.