• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

Soby

Thot Patrol
Since Breath of the wild 2 got announced, i've wondered what new mechanics or features might be added. I'd like to see more story, more lore, bigger cities, the return of popular zelda sound tracks, less weapon breaking , items like the hookshot and most importantly Sidequests, as one of the reasons i love Majora's Mask so much is because of the sidequests, if we could get more sidequests that have actual signification, it would be a step up over many of BOTWs sidequests.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Since Breath of the wild 2 got announced, i've wondered what new mechanics or features might be added. I'd like to see more story, more lore, bigger cities, the return of popular zelda sound tracks, less weapon breaking , items like the hookshot and most importantly Sidequests, as one of the reasons i love Majora's Mask so much is because of the sidequests, if we could get more sidequests that have actual signification, it would be a step up over many of BOTWs sidequests.
Weapons I’d like to see are Double Hookshot/Clawshots to make scaling large structures faster, the Sand Rod to throw hidden enemies in the sand into the air and make them fall on their backs where they are vulnerable for a bit, Power Bracelet to lift gigantic objects such as statues for more interesting side quests such as delivering an artist’s new statue from Rito Village all the way to Hateno Village and you must do it on foot and within one day, and the Gust Bellows.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If the Breath of the Wild sequel gives us a game with scope of the original, plus intricate dungeons and unique tools on par with more traditional 3D Zelda games (plus a better story), then it would become a truly amazing game. I like Breath of the Wild a lot, but the lack of true dungeons and tools really messed it up for me as a Zelda game.

Soby

Thot Patrol
If the Breath of the Wild sequel gives us a game with scope of the original, plus intricate dungeons and unique tools on par with more traditional 3D Zelda games (plus a better story), then it would become a truly amazing game. I like Breath of the Wild a lot, but the lack of true dungeons and tools really messed it up for me as a Zelda game.

We shouldn't lie, breath of the wild is an amazing game, but there is just something uncannily lacking about it, either the story or something else that was in previous games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
We shouldn't lie, breath of the wild is an amazing game, but there is just something uncannily lacking about it, either the story or something else that was in previous games.

I'd say that Breath of the Wild had a relatively strong story, it was just presented in a poor way. When compared to Zelda games, I would say it really is only beaten by Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. As far as I'm concerned, the dungeons were the point that held the game back the most. It was the polar opposite of all other Zelda games, where the dungeon play is the core of the game, while the overworld is the just where you travel from point A to B, while in Breath of the Wild, the overworld was pretty much everything, and the dungeons were essentially nothing. I will never say Breath of the Wild wasn't an amazing game, but it wasn't perfect either, and it's not my personal favorite Zelda game, simply because I enjoy Zelda most for the dungeons.

And honestly, I think a better story is almost ensured in the sequel. In most instances, you can separate the Zelda games with good stories versus the ones with not as good stories simply by looking at which games you fight Ganondorf, and which you fight Ganon. Since we've got Ganondorf in this next game, things are looking up.

Soby

Thot Patrol
I'd say that Breath of the Wild had a relatively strong story, it was just presented in a poor way. When compared to Zelda games, I would say it really is only beaten by Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. As far as I'm concerned, the dungeons were the point that held the game back the most. It was the polar opposite of all other Zelda games, where the dungeon play is the core of the game, while the overworld is the just where you travel from point A to B, while in Breath of the Wild, the overworld was pretty much everything, and the dungeons were essentially nothing. I will never say Breath of the Wild wasn't an amazing game, but it wasn't perfect either, and it's not my personal favorite Zelda game, simply because I enjoy Zelda most for the dungeons.

And honestly, I think a better story is almost ensured in the sequel. In most instances, you can separate the Zelda games with good stories versus the ones with not as good stories simply by looking at which games you fight Ganondorf, and which you fight Ganon. Since we've got Ganondorf in this next game, things are looking up.

Well you don't necessarily need ganondorf to have a cool story, i mean look at minish cap or majora's mask but that is besides the point.

I just want the old zelda feel back, that's why the early 2000s was a golden age for story heavy 3d zeldas like TP, WW MM and OOT (well not really that last one but it fits into the period).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well you don't necessarily need ganondorf to have a cool story, i mean look at minish cap or majora's mask but that is besides the point.

Of course, I'm not saying you need Ganondorf, I'm just saying it helps a whole lot. I'm also focusing on cases of Ganondorf versus Ganon. Ganondorf is the intelligent foe who drives a story, while Ganon is just the big monster who sits at the end of the game, waiting for you to battle him. It's plain to see which version of him is better for story.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Since there will now be a Mario themed LEGO line, anyone else hoping Zelda will get one too? The line could have all sorts of fun variations such as one that is BotW/Skyward Sword themed, a WW theme, a LA Switch edition that has a little Marrin included in the set, and an 8 Bit themed set.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

BCVM22

Sure, but at the same time, is it an incorrect oversimplification?

Entirely. Among other titles, your measure would omit Majora's Mask (no Ganon OR Ganondorf), it would omit The Minish Cap (same), and it would unduly downgrade the Oracle games.

Correlation doesn't mean causality. You can't say definitively going forward, "Ganon makes a game worse, Ganondorf makes a game better," because that isn't how it works. You've cherry picked existing games and subjectively assigned the downgrade to them - it's not predictive.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Entirely. Among other titles, your measure would omit Majora's Mask (no Ganon OR Ganondorf), it would omit The Minish Cap (same), and it would unduly downgrade the Oracle games.

Correlation doesn't mean causality. You can't say definitively going forward, "Ganon makes a game worse, Ganondorf makes a game better," because that isn't how it works. You've cherry picked existing games and subjectively assigned the downgrade to them - it's not predictive.

What I was looking at was purely comparing games that use Ganon as their main antagonist versus games that use Ganondorf. It had no bearing on games like Majora's Mask or Mimish Cap. And I specifically stated that you don't need Ganondorf to have a good story, and I certainly never said that having Ganon makes a story worse just for him being there.

The central point of my remark was simply to point out that Ganondorf has more story potential than Ganon. Potential being the keyword. A story with a primary villain who is intelligent and interactable has more potential than a story with a brainless monster who sits in a castle waiting for you to battle it, as an intelligent villain will actively drive a plot, while a mindless monster won't. That doesn't mean that the former will always be a good story, or that the latter will automatically be a bad story. It's just a loose indication.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Since there will now be a Mario themed LEGO line, anyone else hoping Zelda will get one too? The line could have all sorts of fun variations such as one that is BotW/Skyward Sword themed, a WW theme, a LA Switch edition that has a little Marrin included in the set, and an 8 Bit themed set.
Oh Heck YES. I would buy them for myself. I find Zelda figurines to be lacking in variety as opposed to Pokemon or Super Mario Bros series.

To be honest, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda series game I ever played. It was given to me as a birthday gift. From there, I bought older ones to get myself better acquainted with the Zelda series timelines.

And I would like to find TLoZ figures to complement my interest un the series games.

Building the great Deku Tree would be a lot of fun to build in Legos.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Oh Heck YES. I would buy them for myself. I find Zelda figurines to be lacking in variety as opposed to Pokemon or Super Mario Bros series.

To be honest, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda series game I ever played. It was given to me as a birthday gift. From there, I bought older ones to get myself better acquainted with the Zelda series timelines.

And I would like to find TLoZ figures to complement my interest un the series games.

Building the great Deku Tree would be a lot of fun to build in Legos.
My idea is that for the original NES set, Link is made from LEGO blocks with a special piece that acts like a sensor and makes sound so he looks 8 Bit. The entire series would also have an 8 Bit look and you have a single headstone that can move in a mini graveyard, a small cave with an old man, and so on. OoT gives you a Great Deku Tree, Ganon’s Castle, and Lon Lon Ranch. LA has a buildible Wind Fish Egg, Marin, And the Owl, MM has a Lego Moon that is on a special stand that has a sliding lever so you can make the Moon “crash” into a mini Clock Town. And BotW has all of the Guardians types and they can emit a small laser pointer that triggers the danger music on that series Link figure.

Nyter

Island Challenger
My idea is that for the original NES set, Link is made from LEGO blocks with a special piece that acts like a sensor and makes sound so he looks 8 Bit. The entire series would also have an 8 Bit look and you have a single headstone that can move in a mini graveyard, a small cave with an old man, and so on. OoT gives you a Great Deku Tree, Ganon’s Castle, and Lon Lon Ranch. LA has a buildible Wind Fish Egg, Marin, And the Owl, MM has a Lego Moon that is on a special stand that has a sliding lever so you can make the Moon “crash” into a mini Clock Town. And BotW has all of the Guardians types and they can emit a small laser pointer that triggers the danger music on that series Link figure.
This actually sounds dope. Love the 8-bit feature as it can bring a sense of nostalgia. Specif theme packs sounds like a good marketing plan. And thinking of it... Dungeons × Legos would absolutely work. It would be like customization LIVE at the touch of your fingertips.

Lego should also invest in producing build it yourself board games (if it has not been done already) one being TLoZ themed.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
This actually sounds dope. Love the 8-bit feature as it can bring a sense of nostalgia. And thing of it... Dungeons × Legos would absolutely work. It would be like customization LIVE at the touch of your fingertips.

Lego should also invest in producing build it yourself board games (if it has not been done already) one being TLoZ themed.
They did have board games for awhile but I don’t think the line was extremely popular. I know that there was a game with a medieval knight theme, a Ninjago game, and I think one for Harry Potter. A Mario or LoZ would have been perfect and made big money.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
While I am normally loathe to rebroadcast a report of a report of a report, this is sourced from the individuals who would know, assuming they aren't outright lying to a podcast (and I don't... think? they are). Localization would be a later stage in the development of a game, particularly to the languages beyond English.
Based on an old interview with one of Square Enix localisers: They state to translate from Japanese to English, then to all the other European Languages. Mind you I think interview is over 15 years old, and thing change over time. (It was before Final Fantasy 12 or Kingdom hearts 2 came out, at least in Europe, we're talking GBA/Gen 3 in terms of Pokémon.) Also back then games releases in Europe often came a few months after the US release, which was often few month after the Japanese release. In that interview, they talk about the way they're changing how they localise games by making systems that don't force them to have a complete game to translate, and also some of the benifits

But Yes, I think we will have some release info in the next year about Zelda BOTW2. It really depends on how they're doing the "lip flap" issues when localising. Normally, all the animations are the same as the original, but the actor has to time their words to match the lips of their character. This is pretty much required in Anime localization. Alternatively is the "DBZ Abridged" method, where they reanimate the lips and possibly the actions to match the Dialogue, which is easer to do with in-engine cut-scenes.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think BotW 2 updates should be revealed within the next six months. I’m guessing that most of the Zelda staff have been working on this game after a short break when BotW was released. A small percentage probably only worked on Link’s Awakening Remastered since the graphics and the Dungeon Maker were the only things not to be fully developed before the game was announced and the story never changed. We still don’t know what the sequel will involve.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Wouldn't mind some ports of other titles being pushed in the gap between BotW2 comes out. TP/WW/SS, any would be fun in the meantime.