• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
"Sequel to major game bears similarities to its predecessor, 7/10"

Unserious jamokes, the lot of them.
I was basically reporting what I saw from a glance from MC.

The GFinity 6/10 score is the one mixed score that I had mentioned earlier, and it's definitely an outlier.
7 out of 86 positive reviews gave the game less than a 9/10, which none of those gave less than an 8/10, which is.... fine.

On a small side tangent, but the Zelda series is an interesting one where most games look vastly different from another (take Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which released basically on the same console with one right after the other). Prior to Tears of the Kingdom, the closest we have two games released adjacently resemble each other the most is Ocarina of TIme and Majora's Mask, due to asset reusage (and no, Oracle games do not count as two separate games here). Although with MM, Termina is a vastly different place and it turned traditional Zelda progression sort of on its head. Now enter Tears of the Kingdom, which is a sequel that takes place in the same area as Breath of the Wild. It's inevitable that there will be a lot of the same in this title since TotK was made to built off of BotW. Now people can argue back and forth of what is enough of a difference to make for a completely refreshing experience, but I'm... not going to do that and just play the game and enjoy it.

Also, if I hear another "$70 for what could have been DLC" argument, I will go into that person's house, and break all their belongings, Zelda style.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So I just found out something very interesting in TotK during the boss battle with Colgera that I don’t think anyone knows or has talked about yet. I found out that if you get hit and start to fall and you’re over the ice on its back, you’ll crash right through it and cause damage to it. I wouldn’t recommend it because you’ll also lose heath upon impact. I died this way once but I thought that was insane that I did damage without using any weapons or arrows.

Also this is definitely a separate game and not “$70 DLC” as everything in the overworld is 100% completely different. I’m so glad that I could explore that mountain right next to Zora’s Domain without worrying that Lynel would see me and instantly kill me even though all I wanted to do was reach the top so that I could use Revali’s Gale to soar across the area and try to find any nearby Shrines that I still haven’t found and cleared.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
2 hours into this game made me realize why it was priced $70 the moment I did the first side quest.
I figured it out the moment I got Ascend and couldn’t figure out how to get down from that part of the Island. I’m in the middle of the Water Temple and I have to say this is one of the best water themed dungeons in both aesthetics and difficulty level. I like how it’s not too difficult to navigate to the point you want to throw the controller at your tv yet it’s not so easy that you can complete the entire place in five minutes.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Played 15 hours and still am exploring the outer castle in central hyrule. This game gonna take me 200 hours again...

But as of what I've seen, this game fixed some issues of the precessor. BOTW open world for what it offers was way to empty and exploring wasn't feeling rewarding. Now with the two more layers and the ground being extended with caves, more interesting places etc. it feels so much better. The new mechanics are also very fun.

On the other hand the storytelling this time around feels weird. Everybody I've seen so far are having some kind of amnesia for not recognizing me so far. The weapon still break way to soon though its a less of a problem now with the crafting now but in battles it get super annoying to switch the weapons all the time.

Graphics....ihh. Dissapointing that they barely did something for Hyrule but the underground looks cool but the texrures in there look really meh-ish. It's not 2017 anymore where you can excuse the graphics to the Wii U influence. Six years later I expect a little bit better.

Overall great game so far.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Played 15 hours and still am exploring the outer castle in central hyrule. This game gonna take me 200 hours again...

But as of what I've seen, this game fixed some issues of the precessor. BOTW open world for what it offers was way to empty and exploring wasn't feeling rewarding. Now with the two more layers and the ground being extended with caves, more interesting places etc. it feels so much better. The new mechanics are also very fun.

On the other hand the storytelling this time around feels weird. Everybody I've seen so far are having some kind of amnesia for not recognizing me so far. The weapon still break way to soon though its a less of a problem now with the crafting now but in battles it get super annoying to switch the weapons all the time.

Graphics....ihh. Disappinting that they barely did something for Hyrule but the underground looks cool but the texrures in there look really meh-ish. It's not 2017 anymore where you can excuse the graphics to the Wii U influence. Six years later I expect a little bit better.

Overall great game so far.
I think the amnesia is because everyone thought Link was still missing after the Upheaval. Normal NPCs probably don’t recognize Link because they rarely interacted with him given he’s a swordsman and hero and they aren’t.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You know, one of the reviews I caught a glimpse of said something along the lines of, "If the didn't connect to the original, you likely won't connect to TotK", but I have to majorly disagree here. While BotW did some great things, it's not even close to my favorite Zelda, and I thought I would just like the more structured Zeldas more. This game essentially proved this wrong, and fixed so many gripes I didn't know I had with the original game. It feels so much more fun by comparison.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
The Tutorial islands took me almost 3 hours and half of that was probably figuring out how to get to the Trial Dungeons without falling off the map

I know it took at least a half hour to get to the Ultra Hand one. Thought i had to go half way around the map to get over to it. Then felt stupid when i found the correct path :eek:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The Tutorial islands took me almost 3 hours and half of that was probably figuring out how to get to the Trial Dungeons without falling off the map

I know it took at least a half hour to get to the Ultra Hand one. Thought i had to go half way around the map to get over to it. Then felt stupid when i found the correct path :eek:
I spent eight hours trying to find a way to get back to the Temple of Time after getting Ascend and thought I had messed up completely so I restarted the entire game. Second time it took five hours to get the tutorial completed and then it took me four hours to figure out where I was supposed to go to get the Paraglider. I kept running into either Lake Hylia or the snowy mountains.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Do you need to do anything special before doing the lookout towers?

Unfogging the map was the first thing I did in BotW

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
These Gloom Hand Puddles are the new Guardians i'm guessing?

They Destroy Link as soon as they spot me.

Died to one near Sahasra Slope Sky Tower 3 times before and after trying to activate it

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
They're not even close to the Guardians. In fact, the lack of Guardians makes traversing Hyrule less of a horror.

In other news, waaaaaaaaay too many people agree that it's very hard to stomach seeing all the dragon tear cutscenes that they decide to just turn off the game and contemplate on what they just saw.

And I'm sorry that sounded like a pun.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
How do you kill the gloop hands then?

The gloop makes melee useless and they’re too fast for ranged

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
I played Ocarina of Time,Majora's Mask,Wind Waker and Twilight Princess but never completed any of them. I really enjoyed playing the hell out of the first 2 growing up. Several months ago I managed to play Majora's Mask at a bar that had various videogames, I still remembered where to go after not playing for nearly 2 decades.

BCVM22

There's no magic bullet for killing the Hands. If you're lucky enough to be cornered in an environment where you can get to higher ground, close enough to the Hands that they're still in arrow range not so far away that they despawn and leave you clumps of darkness poop, you can soften them up from a distance with Bomb Arrows, which do lots of good splash damage. Fighting them without being able to take potshots from a distance is a simple cycle of attack, break out, attack, break out, and heal. Having three to four of the Sage avatars out will help immensely. Regardless, once you defeat the Hands, the fight isn't over, so you will need Sundelion-infused food to help you recover your Gloom-sealed hearts before phase 2.

There is a sidequest that will require you to fight a set of the Hands in a contained arena in the Depths.