• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

fhqwhgads

Also, one time I was deciding between Pokemon 3 and ALttP+FS and went ALttP, that was pretty dumb. I don't care for ALttP.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I think my first was either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks... it was probably the latter as it had better box art than the former.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Wow, that is more disgusting than ParaChomp's story.

I purchased both at the same time, couldn't decide which one to try first so I made a snap decision purely based on aesthetics. It was either that or toss a coin, I can't really see the difference.

I ended up preferring PH over ST anyway.

KillerDraco

Hm. In all honesty, I didn't really care for either of the DS Zelda games. There were a number of reasons, but it seems like there hasn't been a handheld Zelda game that left a big impression on me post-Oracles. PH and ST just felt so... weak. It seemed like the dungeons had so few enemies, and that there was more emphasis on gimmicks than anything. Mind you, they weren't bad games by any stretch, but... I dunno, they just didn't leave a lasting impression like most Zelda games I've played have done. ...That and I absolutely loathed and abhorred the Pan Flute thing in ST. Most annoying instrument to play in the series.

The Minish Cap was better, although I found it to pale in comparison to the Oracles or Link's Awakening. Just seems like I haven't found a truly memorable handheld Zelda games since Oracles.

Just my opinion though.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
My first Zelda game was Link's Awakening DX, I later got the older games A Link to the Past, and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I rented Oracle of Seasons and even though I really liked it I never actually bought it. I didn't get another Zelda game until Phantom Hourglass came out for the DS, it was decent however I preferred the second Zelda DS game Spirit Tracks. Even though I never actually owned Ocarina of Time for the N64 I did play it a few times at a friends house, when I heard they were putting it on the 3DS I got it. An since I become part of the Ambassador program for the 3DS I got Legend of Zelda, I then bought Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, The Minish Cap from Virtual Console, and I got Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free from the eshop when it was available.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
The first Zelda game I owned was Twilight Princess when the Wii just came out and I was in my first year of high-school (I know, I was really late to the party). Looking back and after playing almost every game in the franchise, I missed out on a lot. Still, Twilight Princess is my second favourite Zelda title (with Skyward Sword being my first, now let me change my poll option); I just adore its dark and gritty tone and would love to see another title use the game's art style.
http:
*wahlberg confused gif*
How? Sure SS and TP are great, but to like SS the most and for its dark gritty tone? Did you even play a thing called Majora's ****ING Mask?! I refuse to believe this, I simply can't comprehend all the falsities in this post. No just no, I quit SPPF, I quit the internet, I just about read everything that can be read.

My first Zelda game was Link's Awakening DX, I later got the older games A Link to the Past, and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I rented Oracle of Seasons and even though I really liked it I never actually bought it. I didn't get another Zelda game until Phantom Hourglass came out for the DS, it was decent however I preferred the second Zelda DS game Spirit Tracks. Even though I never actually owned Ocarina of Time for the N64 I did play it a few times at a friends house, when I heard they were putting it on the 3DS I got it. An since I become part of the Ambassador program for the 3DS I got Legend of Zelda, I then bought Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, The Minish Cap from Virtual Console, and I got Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free from the eshop when it was available.
I really want an ambassador 3DS with FSAE just so I can own the console with the most Zelda's. All it would be Missing is LttP and Majora's Mask, and it would be complete.

Aurath8

http:
*wahlberg confused gif*
I'm pretty sure he was referring to TP when he said dark and gritty. Skyward Sword was anything but dark apart from the lower level of the water dungeon and all those zombie bokoblins and such.

I really want an ambassador 3DS with FSAE just so I can own the console with the most Zelda's. All it would be Missing is LttP and Majora's Mask, and it would be complete.

Huh, only just realised that.

Anyway, my first Zelda was Oot3D. In fact it was my first action-adventure game in general. Up until then I somehow survived on a diet of the Galaxy games, Smash bros. and Pokemon. I sucked at it tbh, but it was a massive leap in terms of story and scale from other games.

KillerDraco

http:
*wahlberg confused gif*
How? Sure SS and TP are great, but to like SS the most and for its dark gritty tone? Did you even play a thing called Majora's ****ING Mask?! I refuse to believe this, I simply can't comprehend all the falsities in this post. No just no, I quit SPPF, I quit the internet, I just about read everything that can be read.

I have to echo the statement of the person before me. It seems like the person in question was referencing TP, not SS, in terms of a dark tone.

Besides, TP and MM have completely different types of dark overtones, imo. TP tends to be aesthetically dark, while MM tends to be thematically dark. I've never been a fan of the whole "Which is darker, MM or TP" debate. It's apples and oranges.

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
Hello. Decided to join in the conversation since I'm a huge Zelda fan.

My first game was TP. I got in 2008 for Christmas, in which I got the Wii at the same time. When I first played the game, I could only get up to the part where you had to rescue Talo (I prefer to call him 'Midget' for some reason) and the monkey, because I was such a wuss back then and the music scared the hell outta me. I got the game again after losing it a few months ago and discovered something on my TV, the mute button! With that I was able to pass that part in the game (though I still had anxiety) and now I'm about to enter the first dungeon. Yeah, I haven't played it for like 2 months.

I've now got SS (about to enter the second dungeon, Ghirahim was a tough first boss) and the 25th anniversary edition of FS (second dungeon again). I might be getting OoT soon, I don't know what it's like though. It seems to be a great game because of all the hype it's getting but is it actually really good?

And about the "OMG TP suckz, it wuz way 2 dark! MM wuz better!" (the way I've seen some people type it), I think they're both pretty dark games. Most people didn't find TP that scary but, like I said I'm a wuss so... and I've only seen a bit of MM but the fact that a giant angry moon towers over you for the entire game a could possibly send Termina to it's doom, it's pretty frightening. Heck, I'm scared of ReDeads. And Great Fairies...

KillerDraco

Heck, I'm scared of ReDeads.

Dude, ReDeads were pure nightmare fuel! I remember encountering one for the first time in OoT, and it was just... horrifying. That perpetual moaning, the ear-splitting scream when you get close to them, being frozen while they slowly lumber towards you, and then finally having them latch onto you and do unspeakable things to you... I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm 23 now, and still get chills when I see one in OoT. I won't go near one unless they're frozen with the Sun's Song, and I've got a fully charged Biggoron's Sword Spin Attack at the ready.

...Of course, it was hard to stay afraid of them when MM had them twirling and river dancing. But the OoT variations still creep the heck out of me.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I might be getting OoT soon, I don't know what it's like though. It seems to be a great game because of all the hype it's getting but is it actually really good?

God, yes.

In fact, drop Skyward Sword and play Ocarina first. Seriously, do it.

Aegon

Coincidentally, I picked up Ocarina of Time 3D again yesterday, after over a year of not playing it. I'm really not sure how that happened. I decided to start a new file; I've just found the Hylian Shield in Kakariko Graveyard. I had obtained the the three Spiritual Stones in my first file, but I don't believe that's particularly far into the game.

I also finished Skyward Sword's Hero Mode yesterday. I didn't find it very challenging, though defeating eight bosses in a row to receive the Hylian Shield wasn't particularly easy.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Dude, ReDeads were pure nightmare fuel! I remember encountering one for the first time in OoT, and it was just... horrifying. That perpetual moaning, the ear-splitting scream when you get close to them, being frozen while they slowly lumber towards you, and then finally having them latch onto you and do unspeakable things to you... I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm 23 now, and still get chills when I see one in OoT. I won't go near one unless they're frozen with the Sun's Song, and I've got a fully charged Biggoron's Sword Spin Attack at the ready.

...Of course, it was hard to stay afraid of them when MM had them twirling and river dancing. But the OoT variations still creep the heck out of me.

OoT ReDeads are the most frightening things known to man kind. Fact.

Coincidentally, I picked up Ocarina of Time 3D again yesterday, after over a year of not playing it. I'm really not sure how that happened. I decided to start a new file; I've just found the Hylian Shield in Kakariko Graveyard. I had obtained the the three Spiritual Stones in my first file, but I don't believe that's particularly far into the game.

That's almost at the halfway point.

KillerDraco

I also finished Skyward Sword's Hero Mode yesterday. I didn't find it very challenging, though defeating eight bosses in a row to receive the Hylian Shield wasn't particularly easy.

OoT has 9 main dungeons, 2 sub-dungeons (Under the Well and Ice Cavern), and an optional sub-dungeon (Gerudo Training Grounds), so... Getting the 3 Spiritual Stones is a little under 1/3 of the way through the game.

And oh gods, Hero Mode for the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round was brutal. Especially since
it adds the fight with Demise to the list.
It's borderline masochistic, so I'm in no hurry to try to beat it again.

And oh gods, Hero Mode for the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round was brutal. Especially since
it adds the fight with Demise to the list.
It's borderline masochistic, so I'm in no hurry to try to beat it again.

I think in this case the person playing would be masochistic and the game would just be painful. But maybe Skyward Sword is also masochistic. I don't know. I don't hit it just to elicit response.

But if you're the one feeling masochistic 3-heart runs are the way to go go gooooo~!

KillerDraco

I think in this case the person playing would be masochistic and the game would just be painful. But maybe Skyward Sword is also masochistic. I don't know. I don't hit it just to elicit response.

But if you're the one feeling masochistic 3-heart runs are the way to go go gooooo~!

The only games I did a 3-heart run for (and completed) would be OoT and Wind Waker. Definitely not fun times, though Wind Waker was a bit easier imo. I started one for LttP, but... sort of gave up on it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The completionist in me would never let me do a 3-heart run. It would just feel too wrong. Not to mention I'm not up for that sort of challenge in the first place.