• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
That doesn't address darkness in either tone or color palette though. It's just a gripe you have with the way the story unfolds. Contrary to that the actual game itself is very dark, if not surprisingly saturated and bloomy, and the storyline literally progresses to the point of Hylian royalty infrastructure falling.

It's dark in the literal sense, what with Twilight and all. But from a conceptual perspective, it's not dark at all. Not any more so than is normal for a Zelda game. Bad guy has taken over/kidnapped princess, Link has to save Hyrule/wherever from certain doom.

fhqwhgads

That doesn't address darkness in either tone or color palette though. It's just a gripe you have with the way the story unfolds. Contrary to that the actual game itself is very dark, if not surprisingly saturated and bloomy, and the storyline literally progresses to the point of Hylian royalty infrastructure falling.
And hey, they need that infrastructure for...for...

Nothing? Did any citizen even know Zelda was gone? Where was the king since Zelda is only a princess?

Twilight Princess did not have a dark tone, it had some classic '06 browns. And those colors really didn't sell a mood that wasn't there, they just tried to hide the muddy texturing.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Twilight Princess did not have a dark tone, it had some classic '06 browns. And those colors really didn't sell a mood that wasn't there, they just tried to hide the muddy texturing.

Ha who the hell are you kidding? Overthrowing governments, Minda nearly dying, child kidnappings, amnesia, death of a Zora Queen, attempted murder of a Zora child, near death of all Zoras and I can go on.

Its one thing to dislike the game but another to completely ignore the plot for your argument's sake.

BCVM22

Overthrowing governments

Who did what now?

Minda nearly dying

A character being injured makes the game that much darker to you? Particularly as she was "injured" by being exposed to - say it with me now - the spiritual light being given off by a giant snake light spirit with a ball in its mouth.

child kidnappings

In which none of the kids ever really end up in mortal peril, and some of them even seem to enjoy the new surroundings in which they end up.

A character's loss of memory does not make a story "darker" in and of itself.

death of a Zora Queen

Offscreen and prior to the events of the game.

attempted murder of a Zora child

As a passenger in a caravan being assailed by bandits. How's it any worse than protecting the Romani wagon in Majora's Mask?

I can go on.

Please don't.

Its one thing to dislike the game but another to completely ignore the plot for your argument's sake.

And it's a third thing to misrepresent the game as as you are. The truth, as it so often is, is found somewhere between the two extremes. As a whole, the game isn't terribly unlike Hyrule as you find it immediately after emerging from the Temple of Time in Ocarina: dimmer, maybe even slightly sadder, with fewer pockets of pure peace, happiness and contentment for the land and the people. Is that different in overall tone start-to-finish from previous entries? Absolutely. Is it the pitch-black, blood-soaked exercise in death, evil and the macabre all the way around as you're painting it to be? No way.

The game's old enough to be in kindergarten, folks. Move on.

Last edited:

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Who did what now?

A character being injured makes the game that much darker to you? Particularly as she was "injured" by being exposed to - say it with me now - the spiritual light being given off by a giant snake light spirit with a ball in its mouth.

In which none of the kids ever really end up in mortal peril, and some of them even seem to enjoy the new surroundings in which they end up.

A character's loss of memory does not make a story "darker" in and of itself.

Offscreen and prior to the events of the game.

As a passenger in a caravan being assailed by bandits. How's it any worse than protecting the Romani wagon in Majora's Mask?

Please don't.

And it's a third thing to misrepresent the game as as you are. The truth, as it so often is, is found somewhere between the two extremes. As a whole, the game isn't terribly unlike Hyrule as you find it immediately after emerging from the Temple of Time in Ocarina: dimmer, maybe even slightly sadder, with fewer pockets of pure peace, happiness and contentment for the land and the people. Is that different in overall tone start-to-finish from previous entries? Absolutely. Is it the pitch-black, blood-soaked exercise in death, evil and the macabre all the way around as you're painting it to be? No way.

The game's old enough to be in kindergarten, folks. Move on.

Let me refresh your memory.

Zant overthrew Midna and banished her from the Twilight realm. He also imprisoned Zelda in her castle.

Minda was injured and dying if not for Zelda healing her, notice the rain and her labored breating.

So you don't deny that there was kidnappings and that children were torn from their family and friends and taken somewhere else much more dangerous to their health until Link saves the village? Also you seem to have ignored that Goblin King capturing Colin and nearly running over Talo. One could argue that he was in mortal danger no?

Yes a character losing her memory involves a darker undertone. Its not as simple as finding the person again and rescuing him/her like its a Mario game and they thank you for it. Former friends become strangers and the loss of recognition has a much more emotional blow to the MC Link in this case.

But it happened didn't it and specifically mentioned in the game.

It is worse because the cargo is a living Zora who is injured and his life depends on his reaching the village vs Milk being transported.

You should stop while you are at this.

Misrepresent the game?

I'm not summarizing the entire Twilight Princess plot, I'm arguing with fhqwhgads that the tone and plot of the story is certainly dark. I'm not arguing that the entire story is
"pitch-black, blood-soaked exercise in death, evil and the macabre"
, you came up to that assumption yourself.

The game is actually about 6 years old, you must have failed Kindergarten once or something. :p

BCVM22

None of that is particularly pleasant, no. But none of it is anywhere near as dark as you'd have us believe.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Yeah its probably the darkest zelda game and part of it is the story elements and it partly is the art style.
But going along with BCVM22, just cuz it is the darkest doest mean that it is super dark.
Yeah, I'll agree here and like I said before, I'm presentation kind of guy. The art style but mostly the time travel really killed the dark tone for me in Majora's Mask. Can we stop now! No less, that moon. I still don't know which moon is creepier; Majora's Mask's moon or Soul Eater's moon. What if they had a baby? I wonder what it would look like.

A Link to The Past is pretty dark. Your uncle dies five minutes in and you just take his equipment and abandon him.
Yeah, poor old uncle Whatshisname. That Dark World theme...

Poetry

Dancing Mad
A Link to The Past is pretty dark. Your uncle dies five minutes in and you just take his equipment and abandon him.

But isn't he shown to be somehow fully alive and well in the credits?

KillerDraco

But isn't he shown to be somehow fully alive and well in the credits?

He is. At the end, it does a bunch of scenes showing resolutions to certain characters' issues, and one of them is "Your Uncle Recovers".

Poetry

Dancing Mad
He is. At the end, it does a bunch of scenes showing resolutions to certain characters' issues, and one of them is "Your Uncle Recovers".

Ah yes, I remember now. It was accompanied with that catchy triumphant music which I always liked.

"Recovers"? What, from death?

KillerDraco

Ah yes, I remember now. It was accompanied with that catchy triumphant music which I always liked.

"Recovers"? What, from death?

Who knows. Apparently, the King is fine too, despite literally being reduced to a skeleton on a throne. Ah, the magic of unexplained happy endings-

Though I always assumed it was a consequence of Link's wish after obtained the Triforce at the end.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Though I always assumed it was a consequence of Link's wish after obtained the Triforce at the end.

This... actually makes a lot of sense.

I honestly don't know why I didn't think on this before. I'm an idiot.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Hyrule Historia confirms a lot of things, right? I haven't opened mine yet, but I have read that the hero's shade is confirmed to be OoT link or at least its heavily implied to be.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
I don't know how you managed to leave it unopened after receiving it, it's a fantastic read.
I managed to find a Special Edition one in store for literal pennies, and I'm in the middle of a move. I don't want absolutely anything to destroy it.

I don't know how you managed to leave it unopened after receiving it, it's a fantastic read.

Don't underestimate the power of school. Not only have I not been able to find free time to read it but I have also left it at home away from where I am during school. Maybe now that I have a break this week I'll sink in. I really appreciated the concept art shown near the back. Pretty nifty stuff.