• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

orochi

I liked Twilight Princess for the amazing graphics and Midna XD Skyward sword was good, but I stopped playing because I had to give it back to my friend. I made it to...what were those realms called... you had to pick up those green orbs...It was at the volcano place and the place was big so I had a lot of trouble XD flying around was cool too. Ocarina of time was unfinished because my uncle sold the Nintendo64 while I was at school -_______________- I got up to the point where sheik tells you to go to that graveyard.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
For those that use Club Nintendo (And everyone should) The Elite rewards were posted yesterday. You can choose between a poster set (Wind Waker, Luigi and Pikmin) or the Majora's Mask soundtrack if you're a Platinum member. The Gold rewards are all just VC titles.

Tf916

Parappa the Rapper
Get Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages too! I got both of them off of the e-shop and I love them! I also just finished Link's Awakening for my first time and it's quite unique compared to other Zelda games.

I will do that also. xD

Shadow XD001

I also bought Oracle of Ages and Seasons when thy were on sale. Only started Seasons so far and finished the first dungeon. Still need to Link's Awakening DX where I'm only at the fourth dungeon.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I got Ages and Seasons a few weeks ago.

Beat Ages first and Linked Seasons.

...I can't beat Twinrova, though.

jellsprout

I find that Link's Awakening hasn't aged very well. The dungeons are fairly short and there isn't much content outside of the main game. Still, everything it does contain is done perfectly and it still has the best story in any Zelda game to date.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I find that Link's Awakening hasn't aged very well. The dungeons are fairly short and there isn't much content outside of the main game. Still, everything it does contain is done perfectly and it still has the best story in any Zelda game to date.

I find the older 2D games difficult to play, not because they're hard, they just don't grab my interest as much as the newer 3D games. That's why I still haven't beaten Link's Awakening.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I bought Oracle of Seasons when it came out on the eShop, and after putting about five hours into it, I haven't touched it since. It had some interesting puzzles, but it just wasn't really interesting enough to persuade me to play on. Consequently, the only 2D Zelda which I actually like is The Minish Cap (assuming the DS entries don't count). Great music, interesting premise and awesome gameplay all rolled into one.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought Oracle of Seasons when it came out on the eShop, and after putting about five hours into it, I haven't touched it since. It had some interesting puzzles, but it just wasn't really interesting enough to persuade me to play on. Consequently, the only 2D Zelda which I actually like is The Minish Cap (assuming the DS entries don't count). Great music, interesting premise and awesome gameplay all rolled into one.

The DS games are still 3D games, at least I consider them 3D anyway.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
The DS games are still 3D games, at least I consider them 3D anyway.

I dunno, if I had to choose I'd say at their heart they're 2D games with 3D graphics, sort of similar to ALBW. It is though, (for lack of a better term), an iffy issue, though.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I dunno, if I had to choose I'd say at their heart they're 2D games with 3D graphics, sort of similar to ALBW. It is though, (for lack of a better term), an iffy issue, though.

Yeah, for the most part you're purely moving on a 2D plane. But once you start sailing, that's a different ball game.

Prelude

Prelude
lol i remember spending so much time on that game, then got to that one water level and was like nope

dont even remember if it was this game or one of the older ones but yeah water levels always suck for me

Last edited:

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Yeah, for the most part you're purely moving on a 2D plane. But once you start sailing, that's a different ball game.

True, true. Although I always maintain the fact that because the majority of the core gameplay takes place on the afore-mentioned 2D plane, it's a 2D game with 3D graphics. Apart from a couple of battles which take place on the sea and require the use of the cannon, there's very little use of 3D gameplay, I think.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
lol i remember spending so much time on that game, then got to that one water level and was like nope

dont even remember if it was this game or one of the older ones but yeah water levels always suck for me

IIRC dungeon six, with that spastic as **** octopus boss. Or was that ages? Had to be ages, don't remember the needed seed shooter in seasons. God I love those games. My first Zelda's, so they will always have a place in my heart.
In other news, it seems like ALBW is confirmed to be way after the LttP era, complete with a new link, but before the first 2 Zelda's. Which is excellent as that places us right in the golden era of the timeline. Which then means that all the named time periods between the games that first appeared on the timeline are likely planned games. Which is excellent as that likely means anything else would fall into the future of hyrule.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
>Shigeru Miyamoto in an exclusive interview said Nintendo intends "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds" to easier than the game it most resembles, "A Link to the Past."
>"We tried having one-hundred American participants, ages 10 to 20, play through the original nine "Legend of Zelda" dungeons, selecting only those who describe themselves as 'active gamers' from a list of terms we presented. Other terms were 'casual gamers,' 'social gamers,' and 'rare gamers.'"
>”To do this, we created a special emulation on one-hundred computers that simply takes you from one dungeon to the next, skipping the overworld, and giving appropriate overworld items, such as the improved sword and armor, when we thought a normal player would get them naturally. Players could continue in the room they died with full health and bombs, unlike the original game, to streamline the process.”
>"The results were extremely disheartening. Of the one-hundred players, only four were able to reach the final dungeon, and only two were able to complete it."
>Only forty-eight players finished the first dungeon, and only thirty finished the second. The numbers dropped sharply from there.
>"Many players were unfamiliar with the concept of bombs opening up secret rooms. After some frustration, I told some attendants to give the players this information, reasoning that it would be given in a tutorial in a modern game. While all players experiencing confusion were able to figure out what to do at that point, most of them frequently forgot about bombs in later rooms, even when dying enemies produced bombs in rooms with no doors."
>"Several players thought rupees were enemies and tried to avoid them. One was concerned when his boomerang picked up a rupee, thinking the rupee counter was telling him how many more enemies his boomerang could attack before becoming useless. Almost twenty players were completely unable to remember that the ladder allows Link to pass over one square of water or lava at a time and became constantly confused when rivers would block their advancement."
>”I remember one player in particular, who, upon defeating the boss of Dungeon 1, thought the heart container that dropped was an enemy, and spent almost thirty seconds trying to kill it with his sword before accidentally picking it up. He thought he beat the boss’ second form until we told him the truth.”
>"One of the players, a ten year-old boy, called the skeletons in Dungeon 1 'stupid and not scary," and then proceeded to die to them enough times that he left our computer center in frustration and refused to continue."
>"Several players could not grasp the concept of exploration. If I was going to do this again, I would allow every player to have the map and compass before starting each dungeon."
>The results, said Miyamoto, indicate that "A Link Between Worlds" will likely be easier than previous games in the series.
oh wow hehehe

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
OH FFS thats ********. Of course you would be confused when dropped into Zelda 1s dungeons without context. Easier is probably why we have no bomb or arrow count right? Gonna have to have faith 2D zelda is where its at and I'm not skipping it for nothing.

Aurath8

>”I remember one player in particular, who, upon defeating the boss of Dungeon 1, thought the heart container that dropped was an enemy, and spent almost thirty seconds trying to kill it with his sword before accidentally picking it up. He thought he beat the boss’ second form until we told him the truth.”

I lost it here. I imagine that a sizeable number of these gamers had not played a Zelda game but come on. The heart container doesn't move, attack or even react to the sword yet he still thought it was an enemy after he 'defeated' it a full thirty seconds of retardation later?

I can't judge on the rest of it though since I can't even get to the first dungeon, let alone complete it. It's at this point I should ask, how the heck did gamers survive through the 80s with stuff like this?

Poetry

Dancing Mad
>"One of the players, a ten year-old boy, called the skeletons in Dungeon 1 'stupid and not scary," and then proceeded to die to them enough times that he left our computer center in frustration and refused to continue."

I thought that's how everyone, adults included, reacted to the game nowadays?

EDIT: Is there a source on this?

Last edited: