• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

BCVM22

Ocarina of Time 3D, and if you enjoy that, Majora's Mask 3D. Start there.

As for "order," Ocarina/Majora are in one branch of the timeline, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks another, and A Link Between Worlds a third. Order does not especially matter.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm completely new to these parts of the forums, however, I'd like to ask a question to you Zelda fans.

I've previously only played Spirit Tracks for the DS, and never completed it. I'm looking to invest some time and money into other Nintendo franchises this year on my 3DS (going to hold out for some NX news before cashing out on a Wii U), with Zelda being one of them.

My question is, which DS/3DS Zelda games would you propose I get for my 3DS, and if you think all of them, which did you most enjoy and which did you least enjoy? Also, if possible, what order should I play the DS/3DS Zelda games in?

When it comes to Zelda games, there are two main styles. The more retro bird's eye view formatted game, where you play as Link in a psuedo-3D environment like the original Zelda, and then there's the true 3D environment Zelda games. Both styles have their respective fans. Personally, I enjoy the realism and higher quality of the 3D games. With that being said, for the DS/3DS, you only have two options: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Ocarina Time is often considered to be the best Zelda game and it is a major focal point for the overall continuity of the franchise. It was also the first 3D Zelda title created. So I suggest you start there. Another option would be to go for the newest mainstream title, which is A Link Between Worlds, which is one of those bird's eye view games.

Other Zelda titles playable on the 3DS include Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Link's Awakening (Virtual Console), The original Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console), The Adventure of Link (Virtual Console), and Triforce Heroes (more of a spin-off). I believe that is all.

Fast response guys, thankyou so much! I'm planning to purchase Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and A Link Between Worlds in / physical format. I completely forgot about VC though! I'm not quite sure just how many games are available as VC for the 3DS, but now I'm thinking of playing through from the original to the newest (casting aside Tri-Force Heroes - I've heard some not so great stuff about that game).

That's got to be a few hundred hours of gameplay, at any rate, right?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Link's Awakening is a classic, and it's a cheap 6 download if you just want to dip your toes into the series. ALBW is also stellar, and it's a Nintendo Select title, so it's also pretty affordable.

The NES games are great, but they're rather difficult; if you go for one of them, expect to make frequent use of save states and guides. Tri Force Heroes is only worthwhile if you've got friends to play it with.

Other Zelda titles playable on the 3DS include Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Link's Awakening (Virtual Console), The original Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console), The Adventure of Link (Virtual Console), and Triforce Heroes (more of a spin-off). I believe that is all.

Nah, there's also the Oracle games on VC.

R_N

I have a hard time recommending the Oracle games

I have issues with LA, mostly due to it being on gameboy, but something about the Oracle games' dungeons rubbed me the wrong way. Fun worlds, though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
Fast response guys, thankyou so much! I'm planning to purchase Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and A Link Between Worlds in / physical format.

Majora's Mask is definitely a good one, but I would play Ocarina first to get everything out of Majora. I'm playing Majora right now, and while I haven't play Ocarina yet, I have a pretty good understanding of what happens in it.

Houka

OoT and MM are good 3D game while a Link Between world is a good Say 2Dish adventure. All Good games MM is my favorite out of the three though I haven't played ALBW so yeag.

Seachran

Yeah I would definitely play OoT before MM. They are a perfect pair of games, I practically consider them a single experience. Although I might say MM is better, without playing OoT first it would be much less meaningful.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
R_N said:
I have a hard time recommending the Oracle games

I have issues with LA, mostly due to it being on gameboy, but something about the Oracle games' dungeons rubbed me the wrong way. Fun worlds, though.
I think it's the dead opposite: the worlds had tedious chores like a few really annoying minigames, but the dungeon design was rock solid. They had just the right types of puzzles that force you to think for a moment but don't require ad hoc moon logic.

Akashin

Me on the other side is mad for it having DLC of its own because it has enough content already. As well the fact I won't be able to get it all because no digital shopping allowed.

Why is more content a bad thing? If you don't want it, don't get it; I don't see what there is to be mad about.

BCVM22

Which explains part of it, but not why someone would be mad that a game has DLC because "it has enough content already."

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Interesting....

I actually would have really liked Pokemon Picross had it not been limited by being so reliant on in-game purchases. If this game is a My Nintendo reward than it should be free of any of that junk, so maybe this game might actually be entertaining.

KillerDraco

And I want my TWEWY sequel already, Jupiter.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

So been playing TPHD this weekend, and while it's definitely true that the graphical differences are somewhat subtle, they certainly did put more details into faces. For instance, King Bulblin is substantially uglier now.