• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zelda games discussion

Favorite Zelda game

• Total voters

KillerDraco

Kohga I could see being playable. Robbie could go either way. But Purah I can’t picture in battle and imagine her more of the tech expert that does repairs.

You say that but then look at Medli and Marin in Hyrule Warriors. And heck, Zelda in Age of Calamity for that matter.

Musou games definitely take liberties.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Older Musou games had wider tier lists where you’d have more bad characters or ones with not so good move sets by design, but almost any modern one all characters will be good to an extent, where the tier list comes from higher level play like weak point damage or chaining combos.

R_N

Considering the set up of the entire game from the demo I am guessing it wont be AS gruesome

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
After getting all the Champions, here are my thoughts on this game (on very hard) so far.

The first Hyrule Warriors was much more forgiving than this. Holy crap. The difficulty amps up considerably, and you basically have to toss everything and the kitchen sink at bosses, because depleting their health takes time. I love it.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Anyone else getting bad frame drops from time to time or the camera just being pushed to awkward angles?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
This game is summed up by a line from it "None of this makes any sense, but oh well"

Like seriously. This is more of a power fantasy than the first HW game was. Also the hooded figure from the preview looks so much like Oikawa from Digimon that I can't take him seriously.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'm considering getting Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity but I feel torn between my love for the Legend of Zelda series and my hatred for the Dynasty Warrior gameplay mechanics. I say that because Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors were fun but the whole leveling up system became tedious. Plus the harder levels with tougher enemies just become button mashing sessions.

KillerDraco

I'm considering getting Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity but I feel torn between my love for the Legend of Zelda series and my hatred for the Dynasty Warrior gameplay mechanics. I say that because Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors were fun but the whole leveling up system became tedious. Plus the harder levels with tougher enemies just become button mashing sessions.

At its core, it's a Musou game with Zelda elements, so if you don't enjoy Musou, you probably won't get the most out of this.

There is a Demo on the eShop though if you wanted to give that a try.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You know what, screw the little Guardian. Its inclusion just alters stuff too much in the past. I didn't mind its cute moments until Chapter 5 stuff rolled around. Maybe there will be something satisfactory near the end, but so far, let me bash it with this here pot lid.

KillerDraco

So I just finished 100%'ing Age of Calamity today. Overall, I'd consider it an 8.5/10.

The story definitely went in a different direction than I expected, but it was still enjoyable. The cast is smaller and less varied than HW, but it makes sense given HW was basically a Zelda crossover, while Age of Calamity is effectively BotW Warriors. That said, they still had plenty of characters who I did not expect, so there were plenty of surprises in that respect.

On the negative side, having everything accessed from the map could be a little cumbersome at times, as I sometimes found myself wishing for a more consolidated setup for character upgrades. Combat did have some dips in frame rate, especially during certain effect-intensive attacks, but it wasn't enough to take away from the experience as a whole for me, given I didn't have issues of enemies failing to load or anything like that.

Gameplay-wise, it's definitely like night and day compared to HW. Although they're both Musou at their core, Age of Calamity definitely has a higher skill ceiling and needs more involved technique. Rather than just hold guard and spam dodge until a weak point or item prompt appears appears, you can utilize Flurry Rushes and parries to create openings if you're more willing to throw yourself into the fray. Enemy density was a lot lower, given enemies numbered in the hundreds rather than the thousands, but it seemed like enemy quality was higher to compensate. Even generic mooks could be threatening, such as elemental Lizalfos spitting ice/fire/thunder at you while you try to fight a stronger enemy, or horn-blowing enemies commanding all of the mooks to attack in unison. If you're looking for a mindless, cathartic game like original HW, this definitely isn't it, because you'll be taking a lot more damage if you're not careful.

I did find it strange that they opted to do away with ranking entirely for non-story missions, given both HW and FE:W utilized them. But it did take away a lot of the stress, and it's nice not having to re-do a mission because you took 6 seconds longer than it wanted you to or something like that. Just complete the side missions, and you're good.

It had about 60 hours of content for me to 100% it, which wasn't a bad amount. It doesn't have the endless adventure modes of original HW, but this is not in and of itself a bad thing because those could get a little repetitive at times. Plus, most of the additional Adventure Maps in HW were DLC, so in terms of the base game, I'd say the amount of content is acceptable. We'll see if/when there's DLC and if it adds more content. If nothing else they mentioned the digital pre-order spoon bonus would be available as DLC.

Overall, it may not have been a perfect game but it was still very enjoyable, and the challenge made beating it more satisfying than I expected it to be.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Age of Calamity was my first HW game, and it was pretty fun. Challenging at times, but not too grindy. The story completely threw me off, but enjoyed it.

I've been really resisting the urge to replay BoTW. Kinda holding it off prior to the release of the sequel.

Given how February 21st is the anniversary date, I guess we'll have to wait until then to see what's been planned for the year.

SoHowAreYou

I finished the main story, though I have not done everything in it yet. I like the game a lot, maybe not enough to buy the original, but enough to recommend it. There is a bit jank at times, especially with some of the odder characters. And Riju and one of Teba's attacks seem to be uncontrollable to me, just flail at the enemy until you win. All that being said story-wise I think it was great, I don't particularly care that it completely derailed canon. I mean yeah that would have probably been the right choice from a pure story perspective, but I like these characters and I want to see them have a happy ending.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So I've been playing Age of Calamity for about a week now, and hands down Impa is the best character.

Her Sheikah clones are bloody awesome, and the combos got bomb a** reach. She makes for an incredible fighter.

While I initially didn't like Zelda, I've gotten better and better at understanding her moves, and now I enjoy playing with her.

EDIT: I'm still in Chapter 2, so please don't reply with spoilers. lol

Last edited:

MrJechgo

Favorite game: Twilight Princess
Least Favorite game: Skyward Sword

Breath of the Wild? close second

About BotW, I loved the open world, the physics, new characters, mechanics and even the voice acting. I hated a few things though:
  • The weapon durability being a little too punishing
  • The lack of a forging mechanic... which they could have been as creative as cooking
  • The Divine Beasts being too similar in design
  • Thunderblight Ganon being a real pain in the rear
  • The lack of staple features. For instance, each Beast could have held a new Sheikah Slate rune, based on popular items, like the Hookshot, Dominion Rod (especially since controlling Guardians would have made sense), Ice Rod, Fire Rod, Whip, Spinner and whatnot. These new runes could have helped you get to Shrines, like having an easier time getting there, versus a harder time reaching the shrine without the runes.
  • The lack of a distinct... cut, midway through. You know, like OoT's timeskip, TP's search for the mirror pieces, SS's 2nd and 3rd acts or even ALttP's Dark World. BotW could have gotten 4 new Beasts for Link to free.
For the sequel, if any or most of these would be addressed, that would be great ^_^

KillerDraco

About BotW, I loved the open world, the physics, new characters, mechanics and even the voice acting. I hated a few things though:
  • The weapon durability being a little too punishing
  • The lack of a forging mechanic... which they could have been as creative as cooking
  • The Divine Beasts being too similar in design
  • Thunderblight Ganon being a real pain in the rear
  • The lack of staple features. For instance, each Beast could have held a new Sheikah Slate rune, based on popular items, like the Hookshot, Dominion Rod (especially since controlling Guardians would have made sense), Ice Rod, Fire Rod, Whip, Spinner and whatnot. These new runes could have helped you get to Shrines, like having an easier time getting there, versus a harder time reaching the shrine without the runes.
  • The lack of a distinct... cut, midway through. You know, like OoT's timeskip, TP's search for the mirror pieces, SS's 2nd and 3rd acts or even ALttP's Dark World. BotW could have gotten 4 new Beasts for Link to free.
For the sequel, if any or most of these would be addressed, that would be great ^_^

Much of this defeats the intent behind BotW. They made it very clear even prior to release that they wanted what is effectively total freedom, the ability to explore and even do Dungeons in any order. Heck, they even made it so you could go straight to the final boss if you want, skipping the dungeons entirely. The lack of an item/rune/whatever inside the dungeons is an extension of this; many of the dungeons in past games need items from their predecessors to make it through, thus dictating an order. You saw a bit of departure from this in A Link Between Worlds as well, where you access the items through one singular buying/renting location rather than finding them in the dungeons, thus allowing more freedom and non-linearity.

It is both a means of breaking from tradition and also returning to the origin, because the original Zelda functioned similarly where you had freedom to access levels outside of their set order. If the sequel intends to keep true to the BotW formula, which for all intents and purposes it probably will be given it is a direct sequel, I would expect a similar degree of non-linearity. I'm not opposed to there being more runes/secrets/etc. to discover in the world, but I would be surprised if they made game progression dependent on it.

MrJechgo

Much of this defeats the intent behind BotW. They made it very clear even prior to release that they wanted what is effectively total freedom, the ability to explore and even do Dungeons in any order. Heck, they even made it so you could go straight to the final boss if you want, skipping the dungeons entirely. The lack of an item/rune/whatever inside the dungeons is an extension of this; many of the dungeons in past games need items from their predecessors to make it through, thus dictating an order. You saw a bit of departure from this in A Link Between Worlds as well, where you access the items through one singular buying/renting location rather than finding them in the dungeons, thus allowing more freedom and non-linearity.
That's why I would have loved to see 2 ways to access everything: one way with the runes and one without them, since you can do everything whatever order you want.

It is both a means of breaking from tradition and also returning to the origin, because the original Zelda functioned similarly where you had freedom to access levels outside of their set order. If the sequel intends to keep true to the BotW formula, which for all intents and purposes it probably will be given it is a direct sequel, I would expect a similar degree of non-linearity. I'm not opposed to there being more runes/secrets/etc. to discover in the world, but I would be surprised if they made game progression dependent on it.
Like I said, I'm not asking for item dependency, just that new items being added making things easier to progress. For instance, if you find a Hookshot, it makes climbling much easier and possible while raining than having to climb normally.. and wait for the rain to pass :p A Dominion Rune would have fighting Guardians easier than using the Statis rune and slashing at the legs... and Dominating a flying Guardian could let you control it like a drone, with access to its eyes. A Beetle Rune (modelled after a Guardian) could be used to carry bombs and items rather than finding the right spot to fire an Explosive Arrow. That's what I mean by "easier ways".