• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Zing Zap Togedemaru! (949)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Wow I totally forgot about this episode until it had this new post in this thread today.

I actually had to look up what happened to remember, that's how forgettable it was.

It was so bad, none of the Ash gags were funny, and we didn't learn anything about Sophocles unlike the other classmates' intro episodes

Except it hints at insecurities. Did you not notice how he was initially hesitant to reveal the ice cream until Ash becomes enthusiastic about it?

Not to mention being a programmer and afraid of the dark. Sure it wasn't as good as Lana or Kiawe episodes but we did learn some stuff.

Vipsoccermaster

Except it hints at insecurities.

Not to mention being a programmer and afraid of the dark. Sure it wasn't as good as Lana or Kiawe episodes but we did learn some stuff.
Those, along with Togedemaru's gender, are the only outstanding points we learned in this episode.

You know an episode is weak when TR is the best part of it...

COMMENTS:
- Sophocles...I don't really care for him? Not interesting at all
- I like that Ash is incompetent when it comes to stuff like housework, that was funny.
- Bewear was amazing and Mimikyu was awesome as ever

Pretty bad episode...probably worst one so far.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You know an episode is weak when TR is the best part of it...

COMMENTS:
- I like that Ash is incompetent when it comes to stuff like housework, that was funny.
- Bewear was amazing and Mimikyu was awesome as ever

This is probably still the nadir of this season, even with episode 18 considered.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

In the entire history of Pokémon, and this is truly how I feel 100%

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not a very bad episode but there were some things that were funny. I liked sleeping Rowlet as always and the look of the Eevee that appeared while Ash and Sophocles were in the mall. I also liked the Pikachu vs Mimikyu battle and I was surprised how Bewear was able to jump across buildings while 'rescuing' Team Rocket.

Leonhart

Imagineer
COMMENTS:

I didn't care for Maamane much prior to watching this episode, but he grew on me since for once he was receiving the focus that he had been lacking. I think of him as Citron-lite now, which is a good thing.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This is probably still the nadir of this season, even with episode 18 considered.

Episode 18 can't come close to being compared to how bad this episode was. Both episodes were the first focus episode for a new main character, and episode 18 actually developed Mallow while episode 6 did nothing for Sophocles whatsoever.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Episode 18 can't come close to being compared to how bad this episode was. Both episodes were the first focus episode for a new main character, and episode 18 actually developed Mallow while episode 6 did nothing for Sophocles whatsoever.
Oh, I've realized that in retrospect. I still think SM06 is the nadir of the region, while other episodes have surpassed 18 in my dislike of them (looking at you, Dewpider episode).

DatsRight

I think I'm among the few that liked this episode, it established the chemistry between Ash and Sophocles alright (along with Pikachu and Togedemaru), and Team Rocket's scheme wasn't awful as a plot device.

I remember being bored more by the other companion's intro episodes (besides Lillie's), not to say they're all awful, just I don't think this one was. The only one I thought was rather monotonous was the Mallow one, and that's at least partially in retrospect since she and her now fully evolved Pokemon are only slightly better handled now (with that mild improvement being mostly limited to one very recent episode).

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think this is a terrible episode, however I don't think it's a great episode either. Its primary job is to establish Sophocles and Togedemaru as characters and show us what they're all about. The episode does a decent job at that, it does show quite a lot about them like how Sophocles likes to eat lots of ice cream but is a bit embarrassed about that, Sophocles being scared of the dark, Togedemaru's crush on Pikachu, and Sophocles's talent in programming. However, if you compare it to the other episodes that introduce the classmates like episode 5, episode 8, and episode 11, it lacks in showing the audience Sophocles's family and home life. Episode 19 rectifies this, so it's not too bad.

The primary thing that's a bit off in this episode is that the balance is a bit off in regards to Ash. The humour in torturing him is a bit too plentiful, there was no reason to repeat the gag of him running into a wall three times. The incidents with the washing machine and with his attempt at cooking are fine, but him leaping from the loft into the aquarium wall is dumb even for him, it's a bit too cheap of an attempt at humour and SM is usually better than that in how it executes its slapstick. It usually has some setup, stays more faithful to the characters, and sometimes has some kind of twist to keep things fresh (like with everybody getting shocked in the Minior episode, where they subvert expectations by delaying the shock with Togedemaru absorbing it initially, and then twist the relief around with Magneton).

It's far from the worst episode in Sun and Moon, there are some that are worse like the Alolan Dugtrio episode (which really took the format of an old Johto/AG filler episode in not being about anyone in the main cast at all), but it's far from great.

DatsRight

Meh, the Ash abuse was upped in plenty later episodes (I tend to find it more liable for Ash to get singled out to unfair levels in Lana or Mallow episodes since neither two are very flawed or have much humour at their expense themselves, so Ash usually has to "work double time" this one had Team Rocket and Sophocles, who at least contribute a bit of slapstick pain and humiliation themselves to give Ash time to breathe and show his positive qualities). The Ash walking into walls thing was to set up Ash and Sophocles argument over the device not working, which I thought was a nice touch, especially since it set up a nice little vindication moment when Ash saves Sophocles from the security gates and calls peace.

It might be because I like seeing Ash being pit against intellectuals, and it not just being about 'Huh, huh, Ash is so dum-dum, this guy so smart'. Often with Lillie and Sophocles there's an even handedness about it because both of them are still almost as childish and buffoonish as him, there's mutual traits for them to connect there alongside Ash's simple but insightful outlook being compared against their educated but sheltered one. It's brains and brawn done right.

I don't think this episode is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I thought it done it's job okay.

Last edited: