• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Actionscripting

Honsy

Screaming Narwhal
Hi, I need a bit of help.

I want to make a point n' click adventure game in Flash. (think Monkey Island)

But I don't know what actionscript actions I need to learn about and use. If someone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial or tell me some basics I should know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nightcat

Flash's AS editor explains all of them pretty good, but for point and click, you're mostly going to need to know about things like
Code:
on (click) { //I think this is the correct syntax
//do something
}
And other stuff like that.

Honsy

Screaming Narwhal
O...kay. What about moving the character by clicking on an area of the stage? Also, I'm using AS 2, forgot to mention.

Nightcat

Sadly that goes beyond my knowledge of actionscript. I think you'd get the X/Y coordinates for the spot you clicked, check if the character can move there, and then play an animation that moved it there.

Honsy

Screaming Narwhal
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I'm still a newb at actionscripting.

Oh, another question for you then, a bit easier this time; How do I have a piece of text appear when I press a button? For example.

*Player clicks on a flower*
*Text appears above character's head saying "Oh, it's a flower"*

Badly written example, but I'm sure it gets my point across. I was thinking of having the button take you to a frame where the text appears, but there's got to be an easier way than that, right?