• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Chiaroscuro

Cursed

Heroic Sociopath
Hello everyone, it's definitely been too long.

So for the last few months, as my first semester project at DigiPen, we were required to create a 2d game. My team created a puzzle platformer called Chiaroscuro, a game in which the player has to navigate dungeons using light sources as a main mechanic.

Being in charge of the art, I had to create every art asset from scratch. So without further ado, here's what I wound up making for the game:
logo-1_zps0544d63c.png

The Chiaroscuro logo, standard fare. On the main menu, the lens of the lantern(the O) shines light onto wherever the player's mouse cursor is.

Tileset_zps0f4e1373.png

This was the main tileset used for the dungeon, along with the animated torch sprite which the main character could carry.

Eliza_zps546450e1.png

Our main character, Eliza. (There obviously are additional poses, but I still need to compile them into a spritesheet)

Leroy_zps415aba4c.png
LeroyAttack_zps13c12966.png
LeroyWalk_zpsc0a4a43e.png

Eliza's boyfriend, the Paladin LeRoy. LeRoy charged into the dungeon headfirst, and hasn't been heard from in quite a while. His sword, which has a large decorative sun icon on it, will emit bright light as LeRoy attacks an undead creature.

Wraith_zpsfdd4b420.png

The Wraith, which floats around and chases Eliza.
Wraith_Death_zpscd56369d.png

The Wraith's death animation, which occurs when it touches an illuminated area of the map.

Golem_Walk_zps0b5857e2.png

The Death Golem, which relentlessly marches towards Eliza. This is the only enemy which is not affected by light. Instead, the player must outwit the Death Golem by luring it into pits or into a position in which it cannot reach Eliza.

Banshee_Scream_zps52c13034.png

The Banshee, which stays stationary and emits an ear-splitting scream if Eliza ventures too near.
BansheeDeath_zps2c42fffd.png

The Banshee's death animation, which occurs when it is exposed to light.

Angel_zps33c4d4d1.png

Any Whovian reading this thread will recognize how the Angel works - when visible in the light, the Angel is simply an immobile statue. However, when the Angel is out of view of the player, it moves at an alarming rate towards Eliza, only stopping if illuminated once again.

Drain_zpse01a015e.png
Waterfall_zps82d81920.png
WaterPool_zpsdf03b430.png

These three spritesheets form the elements of a waterfall, which Eliza can pass through, but flame-based light sources will be extinguished when she proceeds through.

Please note that as a student at DigiPen, the school owns assets used in the creation of Chiaroscuro, so please do not use them.

Last edited: