• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
That's because it isn't the finale or the climax for the writers....it's an epilogue
As far as they are concerned Ash vs Leon was the climax
That's such a pathetic copout. Ash vs Leon might have served as the climax for Ash's journey as a trainer but so much of the anime is going to be left unresolved. Call it what you want, but as of episode 11, it will be known as the ending of the Ash anime. Are you going to conveniently say "oh the Ash anime actually ended after he beat Leon, the 11 episode series was just an epilogue?". No it doesn't work that way. Epilogues are meant to give closure to the main character and the characters set in its world. In the end, the Pokemon anime is going to be treated the same as every other anime that did end, "epilogue" or not, and it's going to be such a massive disappointment.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
That's such a pathetic copout. Ash vs Leon might have served as the climax for Ash's journey as a trainer but so much of the anime is going to be left unresolved. Call it what you want, but as of episode 11, it will be known as the ending of the Ash anime. Are you going to conveniently say "oh the Ash anime actually ended after he beat Leon, the 11 episode series was just an epilogue?". No it doesn't work that way. Epilogues are meant to give closure to the main character and the characters set in its world. In the end, the Pokemon anime is going to be treated the same as every other anime that did end, "epilogue" or not, and it's going to be such a massive disappointment.
Could be a copout, could be lame. I certainly am not a fan of Ash vs Leon being the main climax either and wanted Ash vs Giovanni or something to be it. Im just telling you the writers mentality behind it, coz it becomes so much more clearer and obvious when you realise for them this series is an epilogue then the climatic finale

Also I agree with you that a lot of the other characters will remain unresolved, but Ash is gonna be resolved and it seems resolving Ash only was MPM and JN's main aim, rather than resolving the Ash anime. Which makes me think maybe PM23 might not be an AU, if they are so hesitant to bring down the curtain in all Ash anime aspects
...are people seriously making weird interpretations of a specific word choice again?

It's just 生き生き yo.
Shippers gonna ship

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
My guy, you don’t realize that your translations are treated like the Bible in this community. Once Twitter gets ahold of this commentary tomorrow, it’s over.

The worst part is that I spent like 10 minutes trying to think of a way to translate that bit so it couldn't be misunderstood because I half knew this would happen, but couldn't really think of a good way to phrase it.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Could be a copout, could be lame. I certainly am not a fan of Ash vs Leon being the main climax either and wanted Ash vs Giovanni or something to be it. Im just telling you the writers mentality behind it, coz it becomes so much more clearer and obvious when you realise for them this series is an epilogue then the climatic finale

Also I agree with you that a lot of the other characters will remain unresolved, but Ash is gonna be resolved and it seems resolving Ash only was MPM and JN's main aim, rather than resolving the Ash anime. Which makes me think maybe PM23 might not be an AU, if they are so hesitant to bring down the curtain in all Ash anime
That's 100% Boruto vibes (minus the whole son/daughter thing) and the new anime will pretty much be doomed to fail if it's set in the same universe and aims to resolve other characters from the Ash anime. By aimlessly meandering about in these 11 episodes, they'd basically be sabotaging their new series as well if it's set in the same universe and aims to resolve past characters.

Also, an epilogue is something that happens after the finale and usually isn't necessary. The problem here is there was never a finale to begin with so how do you expect an aimless epilogue to be satisfying when there was never a proper conclusion in the first place (Naruto movie, Code Geass movie, the Fullmetal movie after the ending in 2003, etc all had conclusive endings in the anime, and these movies were epilogues).

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
That's 100% Boruto vibes (minus the whole son/daughter thing) and the new anime will pretty much be doomed to fail if it's set in the same universe and aims to resolve other characters from the Ash anime
Not really most of the initial arcs of the og cast in Naruto were resolved before Boruto

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Not really most of the initial arcs of the og cast in Naruto were resolved before Boruto
True, should've worded it better. Boruto is a shameless cash grab, and the whole series feels like an unnecessary Naruto epilogue. The new Pokémon series has a great chance to start anew with a fresh beginning, and keeping it in the same universe as Ash just in the hopes of "resolving" past characters just cause this garbage series couldn't is a terrible idea.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
and keeping it in the same universe as Ash just in the hopes of "resolving" past characters just cause this garbage series couldn't is a terrible idea.
I guess the writers think that their final appearances in JN are worthy final goodbyes. Which is stupid on their behalf

True, should've worded it better. Boruto is a shameless cash grab, and the whole series feels like an unnecessary Naruto epilogue.
Well agree to disagree

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
It’s really unrealistic to expect them to have moved mountains to make this miniseries be nothing but lavish hype when I’m sure resources are mainly allotted to PM 2023 anyway. I agree they could have handled things better, but we were never getting some big thing.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
They could've definitely written a more conclusive series within these 11 episodes. Ash could easily be travelling to various regions to meet his friends and released Pokémon again (with Brock and Misty). Gary's question could've had some actual weight if it was done in the first episode, instead it's in the last episode and almost gives the impression like they duped everyone. Nobody expected anything "lavish" (whatever that means in this context), just something more fulfilling for a series that was billed as "the final chapter in the story of Ash and Pikachu"

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
They could've definitely written a more conclusive series within these 11 episodes. Ash could easily be travelling to various regions to meet his friends and released Pokémon again (with Brock and Misty). Gary's question could've had some actual weight if it was done in the first episode, instead it's in the last episode and almost gives the impression like they duped everyone. Nobody expected anything "lavish" (whatever that means in this context), just something more fulfilling for a series that was billed as "the final chapter in the story of Ash and Pikachu"

He has been traveling to meet friends and released Pokémon, or do Brock, Misty, Cilan, Squirtle, and Lapras not count? In the end, this series was billed as another day in the life and that’s how it’s going to continue and that’s how it’s going to end. The idea that this is going to end any way except Ash running off into the sunset is laughable. There will never be a finite ending because the journey goes on forever, even if he learns he’s a Master or this or that. Life will always go on, and it’s an important lesson for kids as well as a fitting ending for Ash, friend to people and Pokémon alike.

The only true filler episodes were the Beartic and Banette ones. The rest of this miniseries did what it set out to do in resolving things for some characters and some Pokémon. It was never going to get to all of them, and sorry that they chose Lapras instead of something else I guess.

Last edited:

Guy100

Also I agree with you that a lot of the other characters will remain unresolved, but Ash is gonna be resolved and it seems resolving Ash only was MPM and JN's main aim, rather than resolving the Ash anime. Which makes me think maybe PM23 might not be an AU, if they are so hesitant to bring down the curtain in all Ash anime aspects

Shippers gonna ship
If Ash doesn't become a Pokemon Master by the end of this arc, then it solely confirms he'll be back in the 2023 anime. Although, it feels much confirmed that Ash will make a return in the new anime regardless of whether he accomplishes his goal or not.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
He has been traveling to meet friends and released Pokémon, or do Brock, Misty, Cilan, Squirtle, and Lapras not count? In the end, this series was billed as another day in the life and that’s how it’s going to continue and that’s how it’s going to end. The idea that this is going to end any way except Ash running off into the sunset is laughable. There will never be a finite ending because the journey goes on forever, even if he learns he’s a Master or this or that.

The only true filler episodes were the Beartic and Banette ones. The rest of this miniseries did what it set out to do in resolving things for some characters and some Pokémon. It was never going to get to all of them, and sorry that they chose Lapras instead of something else I guess.
Yes the fact that this is going to end with Ash running off into the sunset is laughable indeed. Also, Lapras itself didn't really get any conclusion and frankly was never a priority. Pidgeot, Dawn, Giovanni and the Rocket Organization should've been the priority (I'd say Serena needed another episode too but apparently people think a 30 second hi and bye is good enough). 26 years of TRio and it's likely going to end in a single episode with them getting fired and Giovanni just sitting there unresolved (unless he steps down or gets arrested which is also ridiculous). The Latias "arc" is looking to end in the most generic way possible. Another thing that has bugged me is how Misty, Brock, Cilan and Squirtle found Ash, not Ash actively looking to meet them. There's a difference, but given that I have far more issues with this series, I can let the plot conveniences slide.