• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Password Security

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Hi all,

In recent weeks, a couple of users have had their accounts broken into, which has created a systemic cascade for them with other accounts used by the person.

They're not getting in through us, but I'm making this announcement to remind you all to have secure passwords, and that it's always best not to use the same password for your e-mail and other accounts across the net.

We're currently working on restoring the accounts of these users so please stand by.

Just be careful and make sure all your passwords are secure.

Thanks

~Serebii

Based on what he said, Seraphina, it's not really a "just in case" thing. If you don't have a secure password, it would be wise to change it to make it secure. If your password is secure, you should be in good shape (assuming you don't use the same password for something else).

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
definitely change your password if it is not a good one and/or it is the same as multiple other accounts. but more importantly you should make sure that your computer and anything linked to this account (i.e. your email) is secure. if one of those is not secure not only can they get into your sppf account regardless of how good your password is, but they can get into pretty much any other account you have too.

one thing i do that has really helped keep all my accounts secure across the net is to use gmail as my primary email and turn on two-step verification. if i or anyone else tries to sign onto my email on a device i have not approved, it sends a code to my cell phone and i need to put in the code on the new device in order to access my email. so even if someone managed to get my gmail password, they still couldn't get into my account without the code from my phone.

obviously it's not foolproof but it's a good extra step, especially if you have social media accounts, buy things online, use online banking, or anything else with sensitive information.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So basically, change every password that you use your forum password to access, and do not sync your new password to anywhere else.

Solar Faber

Fox of the moon
I have changed my password a few time the past few days, namely cause of something from last night

Canada

Banned
I received one like the others as well. He then specifically explained how he got a member called Steelrush banned.

I got creepy PMs as well and reported them as well.

Changed my password and such as well, too.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
I did not get any creepy Private messages but now I am kind of worried. My password is already really hard to guess so I guess I will not be changing it.

Edit: Ellie was a huge help.

I haven't received any of these PMs at all. I do wonder what they entailed, but whatever.

Changed my password to something more secure. Hopefully I'll be safe; this is slightly unnerving.