• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Joy of Pokémon! (094)

UmbrionKnight

I loved this episode. Due to the fact that she cared for the Magikarp, it became that badass Gyrados. Friends like that is what makes life worthwhile.

UmbrionKnight

Edit: My bad, double post..

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
When the giant Koiking jumped out of the sea, I thought that it was the Rocket-dan's Koiking submarine for a second. The tanned Joi was very athletic, unlike her relatives. Jugong almost drowning Satoshi was kind of morbid, and I liked when Koiking evolved and gave the Rocket-dan a good thrashing.

I didn't understand Tracey and Nurse Joy's relationship. I guess Tracey had a crush on her or something. It was nice that Ash and Misty were supportive too. Too bad we never saw her again.

Alloutℯ

Banned
So the Nurse Joy here had to canoe from island to island to cure sick Pokemon? It made me realize just how isolated and inconvenient the Orange Islands were.

Nurse Joy seemed pretty tough and this was one time when I wanted to see Brock flirt with her. The giant Magikarp scared me and so did that stalker Dewgong underwater.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
An alright episode. Seeing an unusually physically fit Joy was fun. I was surprised that the giant Magikarp evolved into a normal-sized Gyarados. Dewgong's antics were rather creepy.
7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, it seems kind of contrived that Joi had such a deep tan here when her other relatives in the Orange Archipelago all look pale like every other Joi.

I liked seeing a Nurse Joy who actually got out of her Pokemon Center and did her job elsewhere, and I think it's funny that Brock wasn't here since he would've loved this outdoorsy Joy. The fact that she had to go from island to island was interesting and I noticed that Ash and his friends felt more like background characters than normal. The giant Magikarp evolving into a Gyarados reminded me of when James' Magikarp evolved except that this time the Gyarados wasn't a murderous beast.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
I noticed that Ash and his friends felt more like background characters than normal.

That's probably because the focus was mainly on Joi, which isn't really a bad thing per se since she was one of the few Orange Island COTDs who was interesting enough to keep an episode intriguing on her own.

I didn't like this episode as much as I thought I would even though I considered myself a fan of Nurse Joy. I guess I was too used to the usual Nurse Joy with the delicate personality and fair skin so this muscular tanned Joy just seemed alien to me. I did like the giant Magikarp plot and how it ended up evolving when it was needed the most. For a second I was worried that it would attack Nurse Joy but everything went well in the end. 6/10

Dynamax Magikarp. This Magikarp reminds me of Goh's.