• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does Ash sometimes switch between English and Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
When Delia congratulated him on his place in the league he said “thank you mama” and continue speaking in Japanese. I’ve always noticed him saying things like “ok” and so on in the Sun and Moon anime. Is this a recent thing or have I just not been in the loop?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Ash has always mixed in English phrases in the Japanese version; I’d guess to show his youthfulness (English is seen as ‘cool’ and ‘hip’ in anime, particularly with younger/teen characters). In particular, he uses “thank you” and “okay” a lot. It’s just an aesthetic choice to show his personality off, really.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Well him saying thank you is actually a sign of protagonist saying that word. if you look at other animes many main protagonist like naruto, yukihira souma, natsu draganeel, monkey d luffy and even son goku use thank you to show there appreciation, its probably to show there cheerfull and bubbly personality.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
"sankyuu" is basically its own term in Japanese. Yeah, it's literally the English words "Thank you", but in the context of Japanese, it's essentially a super informal way of saying it. The above mention of other shounen anime protagonists... I mean yeah, but they don't do it because they're the main character. They do it because they're meant to be plucky, fun-loving characters who don't speak particularly formally.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It is just a dubbed version.
No, the thing is Ash sometimes speaks English in the Japanese version. That's what this is about.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It's not only the anime. Sometimes, Japanese people uses some words in English because they're influenced by American culture which was more prevalent after World War 2.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Japanese just has a crap ton of English loan words and loan phrases, and they've been completely normalized. Unless you're elderly or in a formal/academic setting, you're likely to use English loan words quite generously. It's definitely not just an "anime thing", though as mentioned above, it can be used as a tool in script writing to differentiate between hip, slang-y and "wilder" characters (more English words) and quieter, more polite and withdrawn characters (less or no English words). It's not "speaking English", it's using words and phrases that have been more-or-less welcomed and adopted into the Japanese language.

Even though it's an interesting topic in itself, going deeper into it will inevitably lead us away from the Pokémon anime, so I'm going to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.