1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Ash sometimes switch between English and Japanese?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:11 AM.

1. Sham

Sham So proud of you

When Delia congratulated him on his place in the league he said “thank you mama” and continue speaking in Japanese. I’ve always noticed him saying things like “ok” and so on in the Sun and Moon anime. Is this a recent thing or have I just not been in the loop?

2. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Ash has always mixed in English phrases in the Japanese version; I’d guess to show his youthfulness (English is seen as ‘cool’ and ‘hip’ in anime, particularly with younger/teen characters). In particular, he uses “thank you” and “okay” a lot. It’s just an aesthetic choice to show his personality off, really.

3. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Well him saying thank you is actually a sign of protagonist saying that word. if you look at other animes many main protagonist like naruto, yukihira souma, natsu draganeel, monkey d luffy and even son goku use thank you to show there appreciation, its probably to show there cheerfull and bubbly personality.

SinnohEevee, Togekiis and Lunalah like this.
  4. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

"sankyuu" is basically its own term in Japanese. Yeah, it's literally the English words "Thank you", but in the context of Japanese, it's essentially a super informal way of saying it. The above mention of other shounen anime protagonists... I mean yeah, but they don't do it because they're the main character. They do it because they're meant to be plucky, fun-loving characters who don't speak particularly formally.

5. JLK2707

JLK2707 Well-Known Member

It is just a dubbed version.

6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

No, the thing is Ash sometimes speaks English in the Japanese version. That's what this is about.

Togekiis likes this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I think it's just meant to sound "cool", and Satoshi's not alone in using occasional English words: I seem to recall Musashi saying something along the lines of "my sweet Pachirisu-chan" in English in the Japanese version of the Pachirisu capture episode from DP.

8. loopoloopi

loopoloopi Member

Maybe it's an ESL tactic as well as being considered cool.

Togekiis and Lunalah like this.
  9. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

It's not only the anime. Sometimes, Japanese people uses some words in English because they're influenced by American culture which was more prevalent after World War 2.

Togekiis likes this.
  10. _AISP

_AISP Insect/Pokemon lover

I've noticed other characters do this as well.