1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Iris use a Aggron/Lapras?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by AssaultPlazma, Jun 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

Just out of curiosity since shes suppose to be a dragon based trainer. I understand why Lance uses a Aerodactyl, Charizard and Gyarados that all makes sense. But I don't understand the connection of those 2 pokemon.

2. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Just to balance her team out, due to it's weakness to ice and dragon type moves.

Aduro and Mr. Reloaded like this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Not just because it balances weaknesses but it's common for Dragon-themed users to use Dragon-like Pokemon. It's stated in Pokemon Adventures, the manga, that Lance can not only tame Dragon-type Pokemon but also Dragon-like Pokemon like Tyranitar.

4. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

In what ways is Tyranitar, Lapras or Aggron "Dragon Like"?

LilligantLewis likes this.
  5. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Just for some variety, I guess. In the anime, Iris had an Excadrill and Emolga, which are not Dragon types at all.

As for Lapras, it's partly based on the Loch Ness Monster, which is sort of dragon-like. Aggron I think is a dinosaur of some kind, and dinosaurs are also draconian in stature and behaviour.

6. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

In the manga it states Lance can tame any Pokemon that is a Dragon-type or share similarities to that of a Dragon-type such as Draconic phyisical features or Dragon-type moves. This is the explanation why Lance can tame Gyarados, Aerodactyle, Charziard, Tyranitar and even at one time, Lugia which does look more closer to a dragon than a bird and can learn Dragon-type moves. Also Pokemon Adventures is very-well detailed and researched of the main games so it's also likely this reasoning can be applied to the games as well for many Dragon-users who often have non-Dragon types on there there team. Also in that same manga, a younger Iris is also shown owning a Lapras as part of the Dragon Tamer clan in Blackthorne City.

As for Tyranitar, Lapras and Aggron. They all have draconian features and can learn Dragon-type moves like Dragon Dance or Dragon Rush.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    NovaBrunswick likes this.
  7. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

Charizard, Gyarados and Aerodactyl ARE dragons. thats the thing though...... Tyranitar and co...... don't really spot any immediate indication of a relation besides egg type I guess......

8. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Aerodactyl reminds me more of a Pterodactyl, which is a dinosaur. Also there are other Dragon-types that don't really look like Dragons like Altaria or Exeggutor or M. Ampharos. As for Tyranitar, Lapras, and Aggron, although they may not look like Dragons to you, they do look like Dragons to others. Especially Lapras and Tyranitar. I personally think they look like a Water and Earth Dragon. Also by Pokemon-logic, if it looks like a dinosaur or has Dragon-like features, it can be included in a Dragon-themed team.

9. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

If you look closely Aerodactyl has a arrow/spade pointed tail, pointed wings and a large jaw full of sharpened teeth. All of these are ahllmarks of a classic wyvern which is why dragon trainers use them. Exeggutor is a dragon type because its based on a "Dragon Tree" I know its a bit cheesy but you get where they were going with that. Altaria is apparently based on some kind of Chineese folklore and name in turn is some kind of pun off of "Draco". I have no idea about M Ampharos ATM though.

If you notice basically all these pokemon dragon types or not have some sort of origin/theme to get the dragon typing. I'm not exactly saying you're wrong or anything I was just wondering if any literal theme/origin was behind lapras or aggron being on a dragon trainers team?

10. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Okay. Tyranitar. Dinosaur. Lapras. Loch Ness Monster/Plesiosaur. Aggron. Dinosaur. Other than dragon-type moves, GameFreak and it's collaborators appear to consider Dinosaur-like Pokemon similar to Dragon-types.

11. NovaBrunswick

Gyarados and Charizard are another two dragon-like Pokémon who are not actually Dragon types (though Mega Charizard X is Fire/Dragon). There's actually a reason why Gyarados isn't a Water/Dragon type: in Gen 1, the only Dragon-type move was Dragon Rage, which always does 40 HP damage, so there were no super-effective Dragon-type moves in that generation. This is why Lance's team in the first two gens were made of non-Dragon types as well as Dragons.

As for Gyarados being half-Flying type... dragons fly? :rolleyes:

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

“Its Flying-type may be a reference of koinobori, a carp-shaped wind sock traditionally flown to celebrate the Children's Day in Japan, formerly called Tango no Sekku (端午の節句)”

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Pokémon)#Name_origin

That’s more of a convenient folklore reason for what you said, however, which is that a Water/Dragon-type would have been completely broken in Generation I.

13. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

Most likely when you consider its based on a Chinese dragon which traditionally are capable of flight.

14. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

It's based on a legend of a fish jumping into a waterfall and jumping out of it to become a dragon. That's why Magikarp in Pokemon Snap evolves if you manage to kick it into the waterfall, becoming Gyarados. Also I think in Pokemon Adventures, Pokemon Snap, and even at one time in the anime somewhere, Gyarados's can actually glide for a short time. Other than that, that's pretty much Gyarados's draconic origins of why Dragon-users use him so much.

15. NovaBrunswick

I think there was that one episode where Misty saw a giant Gyarados jumping out of the sea. Mega Gyarados foreshadowing? :eek:

16. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't see it as anything too important. Perhaps Game Freak simply didn't want another character in the games who only used Dragon-types since Shaga's team was already like that, so they gave Iris a few wild card Pokemon, which had the side effect of giving her team more type coverage.

17. NovaBrunswick

Shaga is Drayden, correct?

18. AssaultPlazma

AssaultPlazma Member

I was referring too its physical appearance :cool: