• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best of each type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, from now on, you pick what you believe are the STRONGEST of each type. And use logic to pick it. (how can Alakazam be the best Psychic? Pokemon like Mewtwo and Lugia are way better.)

Because people tend to exclude ubers when replying to these type of posts.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
frednmethod said:
Charizard being the best fire pokemon? WTF
At least no one say charmander right?
frednmethod said:
Pikachu being the best electric? WTF
With light ball, maybe
frednmethod said:
Pidgeot being the best flying? HELL NO!
Gotta agree with you

I think houndoom is the best dark pkmn.

At least no one say charmander right?

I guess.

With light ball, maybe

Okay, Pikachu sucks even with light ball. Light ball gives it only 100 base sp.attack, which isn't really something to boast about since it has crappy defenses. You're just better off with Raichu that has 90 base sp.attack, but has much better Hp/defenses/speed. Just about any fully-evolved pokemon including Raichu is much better than light ball pikachu.

I think houndoom is the best dark pkmn.

Tyranitar?

milowner

Back in Black
Well, Houndoom has a better Sp. Attack, which powers Dark Attacks.

Eszett

one love
frednmethod said:
Okay, Pikachu sucks even with light ball. Light ball gives it only 100 base sp.attack, which isn't really something to boast about since it has crappy defenses. You're just better off with Raichu that has 90 base sp.attack, but has much better Hp/defenses/speed. Just about any fully-evolved pokemon including Raichu is much better than light ball pikachu.
I agree with you, but the Light Ball doubles the actual stat, not the base. A Pikachu with max Special Attack and the Light Ball will have a Special Attack on par with Kyogre's.

hammy_ham_ham

Unleash your Phantom
here are my best of each type

bug-scyther

fast and a great attack. This is great on a team, and false swipe makes it a premo pokemon when shiny hunting or looking for a particular nature or gender in wild pokemon.

dark- umbreon

A great tank and not to shabby when it comes to damage either. These guys are excellent tanks and stallers, or if you're into it, can make some not too bad baton passers. It deserves a spot on any dark-type team.

dragon- (sorry latias) flygon

flygon has a wide attack range, good stats, and a wide range of defense to deal with it's weaknesses. It makes a splendid sweeper on most dragon teams.

electric(this is a toughy)-lanturn

You may gock, but lantern is a great pokemon. It is a kyogre's worst fear, and isn't too bad on a non-uber team. It does best a sweeper/tank for competitive battling.

fight- blaziken

It has a great speed and attack to back it up. It's only true weakness are flying types, but if you still have the TM, rock tomb can help with that. As for water, alot of water types are part ice aswell, so sky uppercut can help there.

fire- charizard

Yes, the four times weakness to rock is very annoying. Stop telling me that!! If the opponant doesn't have a super effective move, charizard dominates though. With it's blistering(literally) moves, it dominates most types.

flying- I'm gonna have to say lugia on this one.

Lugia is the mother of all sweep/tank combos. It has the highest stats there are outside of the hoenn legendaries(*coughdoexyscough*) and it has a rainbow of possibilities at it's door. Lugia can be used for most anything, it just depends on what you want it to be.

ghost-gengar

gengar is the original great grim ghost guy. He still has his good stats and dominating move combos that made gave it a high ranking spot in R/B/Y. It always is, and always has been, a great battler.

grass(tough)-sceptile

the grass starter of the jewel series, sceptile is a lean mean green fighting machine. With all it's stats above average, most things don't get passed this gigantic green gecko.

ground-donphan

this elephant knows how to rumble! With moves like earthquake and take down, donphan is a serious competitor. It makes a good physical sweeper, but can hold it's own in the defence too. It's move problem is it's special stats, but attack is hardly ever used, and special defense.. well, that depends on who attacks first, but with donphan's sub-par speed, that is a problem.

ice- lapras

lapras is one of those pokemon that excels at most everything. It's stats reflect this, as do it's somewhat variable attacks. Pur those together and you've got a great pokemon.

normal-pidgeot

pidgeot is a great pokemon. While it does have it's flaws, it more than makes up for them. Pidgeot lacks it's luster later in the game, but early on it is all mighty.

poison- nideoking

part of the classic duo, nidoking packs a mighty wallop no matter the generation. With generally good stats and moves like thrash to back it up, it is my favorite of my least favorite type

psychic-latias

latias has strength beyond that adorable smile. It has more special moves than you can pick a stick at, and is great once you get it. It is my favorite out of the lati@s duo, and my favorite pokemon over all.

rock- kabutops

kabutops is for a large number the favorite fossil pokemon, followed closely by areodactyl. It slashes and crashes it's way into the type rock spot with it's top notch physical offensive moves

steel-skarmory

yes, we all know skarm. Love him or hate him, he is at the top of my list for steel types. with it's famous toxic-spike-roar, it dominates the netbattle scene and alot of game cartridges.

water-kyogre

kyogre, or ky00bre as some call it, is the strongest water type there is. With sky high special stats and physical stats that blow away also, kyogre is the best special sweeper stat wise the watery world has to offer.

so there you have it, my top pokemon for each type. Agree or disagree, this is my top for each type.

S

S:C

It's always good to see a wide range of opinions. My list is without ubers or legendaries:

Bug - Pinsir
Dark - Tyranitar/Absol
Dragon - Salamence/Dragonite
Electric - Jolteon
Fighting - Blaziken
Fire - Typhlosion
Flying - Aerodactyl
Ghost - Gengar
Grass - Venusaur
Ground - Camerupt
Ice - Walrein
Normal - Snorlax
Poison - Arbok
Psychic - Metagross
Rock - Sudowoodo
Steel - Scizor
Water - Blastoise/Swampert

E

Espeonuff

This is my list:
Fire - Arcanine
Water - Ludicolo/Huntail/Mantine
Grass - Sceptile/Jumpluff/Meganium
Normal - Ursaring
Electric - Raichu/Lanturn
Ground - Donphan/Gligar
Rock - Aerodactyl
Psychic - Espeon [by far]
Dark - Houndoom
Steel - Magneton/Skarmory
Ghost - Misdreavus
Dragon - Altaria
Bug - Heracross/Shuckle
Poison - Crobat
Ice - Lapras/Glalie

D

Da King*23

Psychic- Alakazam..Gardevoir is one of the most OVER RATED pokemon EVR
Fire-Blaziken
Water-Swapert
Grass-Venusaur
Steel-Metagross
Flying-Pidgeyot
ghoust-Gengar
Electric-Jolteon
Fightning-Machamp
dark-houdoom
ice-Laporas
normal-Slaking..great pok

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
my legendary free favorites in a few types

dragon-i have a weakness for dragonite. i use it
water-ah my favorite type. i have to say slowbro cause its one of my favorites ever
bug-armaldo. i love it
fire-houndoom. its just cool
poison-weezing. talk about a great wall
ghost-misdreaveus. its just the coolest thing

pikachu_king

Paladin Of Pikachus
hammy_ham_ham said:
here are my best of each type

bug-scyther (parden my rench but WTF)- HERACROSS

fast and a great attack. This is great on a team, and false swipe makes it a premo pokemon when shiny hunting or looking for a particular nature or gender in wild pokemon.

dark- umbreon (again WTF)- tyranitar

A great tank and not to shabby when it comes to damage either. These guys are excellent tanks and stallers, or if you're into it, can make some not too bad baton passers. It deserves a spot on any dark-type team.

dragon- (sorry latias) flygon (I have gotten attached to this: WTF) - salamence

flygon has a wide attack range, good stats, and a wide range of defense to deal with it's weaknesses. It makes a splendid sweeper on most dragon teams.

electric(this is a toughy)-lanturn (need I say it again?) -raikou

You may gock, but lantern is a great pokemon. It is a kyogre's worst fear, and isn't too bad on a non-uber team. It does best a sweeper/tank for competitive battling.

fight- blaziken (*falls out laughing*) -medicham

It has a great speed and attack to back it up. It's only true weakness are flying types, but if you still have the TM, rock tomb can help with that. As for water, alot of water types are part ice aswell, so sky uppercut can help there.

fire- charizard (*laughs even harder*) -blaziken

Yes, the four times weakness to rock is very annoying. Stop telling me that!! If the opponant doesn't have a super effective move, charizard dominates though. With it's blistering(literally) moves, it dominates most types.

flying- I'm gonna have to say lugia on this one. (finally you got one right!)

Lugia is the mother of all sweep/tank combos. It has the highest stats there are outside of the hoenn legendaries(*coughdoexyscough*) and it has a rainbow of possibilities at it's door. Lugia can be used for most anything, it just depends on what you want it to be.

ghost-gengar (hmmm can you say: dusclops?) -dusclops

gengar is the original great grim ghost guy. He still has his good stats and dominating move combos that made gave it a high ranking spot in R/B/Y. It always is, and always has been, a great battler.

grass(tough)-sceptile (yay another right!)

the grass starter of the jewel series, sceptile is a lean mean green fighting machine. With all it's stats above average, most things don't get passed this gigantic green gecko.

ground-donphan (lol you forgot swampert) -swampert

this elephant knows how to rumble! With moves like earthquake and take down, donphan is a serious competitor. It makes a good physical sweeper, but can hold it's own in the defence too. It's move problem is it's special stats, but attack is hardly ever used, and special defense.. well, that depends on who attacks first, but with donphan's sub-par speed, that is a problem.

ice- lapras (yay another right!)

lapras is one of those pokemon that excels at most everything. It's stats reflect this, as do it's somewhat variable attacks. Pur those together and you've got a great pokemon.

normal-pidgeot (no, just NO) -slaking

pidgeot is a great pokemon. While it does have it's flaws, it more than makes up for them. Pidgeot lacks it's luster later in the game, but early on it is all mighty.

poison- nideoking (believable)

part of the classic duo, nidoking packs a mighty wallop no matter the generation. With generally good stats and moves like thrash to back it up, it is my favorite of my least favorite type

psychic-latias (*falls out laughing at this choice* you do know latias is WORTHLESS when compaired to mewtwo. even with the little boost soul-dew gives it, which is usually banned from competitive anyway) -mewtwo

latias has strength beyond that adorable smile. It has more special moves than you can pick a stick at, and is great once you get it. It is my favorite out of the lati@s duo, and my favorite pokemon over all.

rock- kabutops (hmm I'll get back to you on that....)

kabutops is for a large number the favorite fossil pokemon, followed closely by areodactyl. It slashes and crashes it's way into the type rock spot with it's top notch physical offensive moves

steel-skarmory (registeel is better) -registeel

yes, we all know skarm. Love him or hate him, he is at the top of my list for steel types. with it's famous toxic-spike-roar, it dominates the netbattle scene and alot of game cartridges.

water-kyogre (yay another right!)

kyogre, or ky00bre as some call it, is the strongest water type there is. With sky high special stats and physical stats that blow away also, kyogre is the best special sweeper stat wise the watery world has to offer.

so there you have it, my top pokemon for each type. Agree or disagree, this is my top for each type.

he never asked for YOUR top pokemon he asked for THE top pokemon. I corrected the ones that are wrong for being THE toughest. sorry to be so harsh though hammy ^^;;

djbrayster

Coral Eye Trainer
o_O;; err. there is an edit button instead of making three posts combine them into the first.

So.. ok this topic is confusing.. what is the actual best pokemon barring ubers/legendaries for each type?

Adat

Beginning Trainer
Well,
I'm not all too sure about most of the types since I don't usually get myself to test every single type out, but I have to say that I only saw one other person who said the strongest Psychic type was Espeon.
I, too, say Espeon since if you evolve Eevee after Eevee already knows Bite, then there can be a psychic able to defeat all other psychics, because of Bite.
But that's just personally why I think Espeon is the strongest psychic, that is, if it can get an attack in and not be fainted first.

N

Nocturnalist

My opinion on best of each type excluding ubers:

Fire : Rapidash
Water : Swampert
Grass : Venusaur
Poison : Nidoqueen
Flying : Charizard
Bug : Butterfree
Electric : Raichu
Steel : Steelix
Ice : Walrein
Normal : Snorlax
Ghost : Gengar
Psychic : Hypno
Dark : Absol
Rock : Golem
Ground : Sandslash
Dragon : Dragonite

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Normal=Snorlax: The Ultimate 'zam killer and unique compared to his other brethern. Blissey get's an honorable mention for being the ultimate cleric.

Fire=Ninetales: Fire doesn't make good special sweepers. However, Nintales is a great annoyer. The only Fire type I use.

Water=Blastoise: Again, the only Water Type I really like to use. A great Special Tank/Sweeper. Golduck get's a secondary nod for being one of the better Special Sweepers.

Electric=Electabuzz: Electabuzz is the only true Special Sweeper of the Electric types with his special type punches. Raichu gets a nod for being the only good mixed sweeper in the Electric type.

Grass=Sceptile: The Treeko family are the only Grass types that can Special Sweep effectively. Ludicolo gets second for being a good Annoyer/Sponge.

Ice=Lapras: Ice isn't all that great of a type. However, Lapras is great Special sweeper than can take a lot of punishment.

Fighting=Hitmonlee: Great Physical Sweeper. Need I say more? Same goes to second place Primeape.

Poison=Weezing: EQ Proof Physical Wall. About all it and its type are good for.

Ground=Dugtrio: Fast and can learn a good variety of attacks. Excellent Physical Sweeper. Claydol gets a nod for being an excellent tank.

Flying=Zapdos: An excellent type mix and good variety of attacks. Zapdos can be a Fearow and Magneton at the same time without fear of Earthquakes. Skarmory gets a nod for being a good wall/spiker.

Psychic=Mewtwo: A duh if there ever was one. With the ability to be an excellent Special and Physical sweeper, he can't be ignored.

Bug=Scizor: A toughie but only weak to fire and partially resistant to both Psychic and Dark, Scizor may be your best friend. Heracross gets the nod for being a great Dark Killer.

Rock=Tyranitar: Big and Powerful with a sand storm summoned upon arrival, can you ask for more? All other rock types fail to meet Tyranitar as the best of type.

Ghost=Dusclops: Can we say Tankzilla?

Dragon=Latios: Great Special Sweeper. Salamance has the nod for being a great Dragon Dancer.

Dark=Houndoom: The best Pyro Sunnybeamer with Cruch for Psychics and Ghosts. The others Darks (except T-tar or course) don't come close.

Steel=Registeel: A super tank like the type is designed for.

Kenta master

Marsh Trainer
Best PKMNs

Water type - ;134;
Fire type - ;006;
Thunder type - ;145;
Ground type - ;383;
Fightning type - ;257;
Psychic type - ;196;
Dark type - ;229;
Rock type - ;076;
Dragon type - ;384;
Ice type - ;365;
Grass type - ;154;
Steel type - ;376;
Poison type - ;336;
Bug type - ;212;
Normal - ;143;
Ghost - ;094;
Flying - ;277;

M

~-=Mewtwo=-~

Normal: Blissey (DUH)
Steel: Skarmory (DUH)
Water: Suicune (I just prefer its gay tankness...)
Flying: Lugia/Articuno (Uber Lugia...... hmm... I just plain hate these things... At least articuno has extrasensory and heal bell now...)
Ghost: Gengar (Hmm... Ghost shortage...)
Bug: Scizor/Scyther (I like the reversalness...)
Poison: SMOGON... While their mascot's evolved form....
Grass: Sceptile (Wth else is there....)
Ice: Jynx (Dont f****** ask why...)
Dragon: Flygon (See above...)
Rock: T-tar (I have a dark who can't be in its other type...)
Dark: Houndoom (Meh I used t-tar already 8D)
Psychic: Gardevoir (No comment...)
Fighting: MEDICHAM!!! (DA!!!)
Ground: Swampy!!!
Electric: Magneton...
Fire: Blaziken...

Kveran

Pinin' for the fjord
Grass: Ludicolo. Its water double-type eliminates one of its weaknesses and decreases another. Great movepool, lots of options, and its abilities help it a lot. You can do a lot with this Pokemon.

Fire: Ninetales or Arcanine. Again, it depends on your strategy. Ninetales is a super annoyer with a variety of incapacitating moves available. Arcanine is more of a balanced attacker with the ability to make up to be either a physical or a special sweeper (depending on EV training) or a balanced version of both. Good speed, plus access to powerful physical and special moves and useful abilities.

Water: Swampert or Milotic. It depends on what you're looking for. Swampert is a good standby, a versatile addition to any team, and very handy because of its double-type. But you can't deny that Milotic's speed and excellent special attack, as well as its ability, make it extremely useful.

Electric: Pikachu with a Light Ball. Good speed, good movepool, access to Surf, and the Light Ball only helps out. I'm sick of the little guy too, but let's give credit where it's due.

Ice: Lapras. Guys, the Ice-type has been royally ripped off and neglected. My other pick for this title would have been Articuno, but Lapras has a better movepool and better all-around stats and isn't as likely to be taken out by a single Thunderbolt. I'm speaking as a primarily water/ice trainer when I say that the use of Ice Beam as a TM has made the use of Ice Pokemon practically obsolete. Heck, with Ice Beam equipped, I could make a very defensible statement by saying that Milotic is the best ice-type available.

Poison: No real opinion; it depends on what you do with it. Personally, I'd rather slap Toxic on something else and leave Poison out of my team's equations. Another group that, like Ice, essentially got screwed over.

Fighting: Medicham is more well-rounded than many other options because of its type combination. No more weaknesses to Psychic or Dark types.

Flying: I like Lugia very much here too, again because of stats. But since there is no pure flying Pokemon and their capabilities vary widely between species you could say any number of things for this one.

Bug: Heracross or Shuckle. Heracross needs no explanation although it's quite capable of getting itself screwed over in a variety of situations- ladies and gents, can we say "flying-types"? Shuckle has beautiful, beautiful defense stats.

Rock: Tyranitar has a lot of options available to it but it really, really fears fighting-types. The Rock-type is one that I prefer to leave out of my team entirely.

Ground: Sandslash or Marowak. Again, depends what you want to do with them. Swampert is also useful as a ground type, especially if equipped with a powered-up Ice Beam to deal with the grass types that rip it apart.

Steel: Skarmory. Any questions? I think that the Steel-type as a whole is pretty classy, with Metagross being a good runner-up.

Psychic: Lugia. Do I have to explain? Look at the stats; and a great movepool helps. Also, the Flying double-type nulls out one of the psychics' two weaknesses.

Dark: Houndoom. Especially with a "blue" nature, the special attack you can get off of this one is great. Though there aren't many dark attacks and the darks as a group are somewhat limited in that they only have two types on which they're super-effective, neither of which is terribly common (although in this they're better off than the dragons) Houndoom can become more useful with both his Fire side and the incapacitating attacks he can learn, such as Will-o-the-Wisp and also makes up to be a pseudo-hazer with Roar. While he doesn't have the tanking capability of Umbreon he is also a more well-rounded Pokemon.

Ghost: I've always been partial to Haunter and Gengar, and Levitate has only helped them. It takes a strong Dark-type or a Skill Swap to bring these guys down- literally.

Normal: Snorlax. Defense with an offense to back it up. I chose Snorlax over Blissey to put here because Blissey has to rely on (usually) Toxic and/or Double Team and that does involve a measure of luck. Snorlax can hold his own.

Dragon: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Lati_s. (Which one depends on your team's strategy, offensive or defensive.) Unlike most of the other dragon-types out there, the Lati_s are not hampered by a double-weakness to Ice, and Ice Beam is getting more and more prevalent as the use of Salamence and Flygon rises. The variety of attacks available to them allow the use of multiple strategies.

H

Hero_of_Time

imo the best pokemon within the types are.... (excluding ubers)

Water type - ;230;
Fire type - ;229;
Thunder type - :surfpika:
Ground type - ;248;
Fightning type - ;107;
Psychic type - ;064;
Dark type - ;197;
Rock type - ;076;
Dragon type - ;373;
Ice type - ;131;
Grass type - ;272;
Steel type - ;376; or ;227;
Poison type - ;110;
Bug type - ;212;
Normal - ;242;
Ghost - ;302;
Flying - ;085;

but in all respects theres isnt really a best pokemon in each type, just better ones.

J

Jeimuzu

I think it would be best to just say NO UBERS because having ubers in this thread would make it even more pointless than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.