• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you want improved animations (like SM) or a better artstyle (like XYZ) for the next anime series?

Do you want to see animation or artstyle be improved.

• Animations

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Artstyle

Votes: 27 55.1%

• Total voters

Genaller

Silver Soul
okay, then he's 10 by the standards of his world, and looks 10 by the standards of his world ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You sure about that last 1? Sawyer is also at least 10 by the standards of that world (since you need to be at least 10 to become an official Pokémon trainer) :p. Unless you can tell me what constitutes the average “10 year old” in that world then any claim regarding “Ash should look like so and so” on the basis of biological norms is utterly meaningless :). How do you post shrugging?

keepitsimple

site of lies
You sure about that last 1? Sawyer is also 10 by the standards of that world (since you need to be at least 10 to become an official Pokémon trainer) :p. Unless you can tell me what constitutes the average “10 year old” in that world then any claim regarding “Ash should look like so and so” on the basis of biological norms is utterly meaningless :). How you do shrugging?
Well okay but then why are you telling us that? We were replying to people who think he shouldn't look the way he does in SM because "he looks too young" so it wouldn't just be us making that fallacy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just copy and paste it tbh

(since you need to be at least 10 to become an official Pokémon trainer)
Iris already contradicted that so it seems to be fine at least in Unova to be a trainer earlier. was it stated within X and Y that a trainer must be 10+?

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well okay but then why are you telling us that? We were replying to people who think he shouldn't look the way he does in SM because "he looks too young" so it wouldn't just be us making that fallacy
Hmm... well I think they’re talking about it in a relative sense in that a character shouldn’t look relatively younger than how they previously did and in some ways SM Ash looks the “youngest” he’s ever been (though amusingly enough unlike with BW he seems to have his proper height). Eh I find his oversized z marks annoying to look at though maybe he had facial surgery or something. “Growing younger” does seem like an intriguing idea lol though how adults in the pokeverse look seems to go against that notion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just copy and paste it tbh
I see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Hmm... well I think they’re talking about it in a relative sense in that a character shouldn’t look relatively younger than how they previously did and in some ways SM Ash looks the “youngest” he’s ever been (though amusingly enough unlike with BW he seems to have his proper height). Eh I find his oversized z marks annoying to look at though maybe he had facial surgery or something. “Growing younger” does seem like an intriguing idea lol though how adults in the pokeverse look seems to go against that notion.

I see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
fair enough. but can we at least agree that it's silly to say he looks eight (someone said that he looks 8 earlier) since he definitely looks older than sophocles who if we accept has to be at least 10, we can't say Ash looks 8

Genaller

Silver Soul
fair enough. but can we at least agree that it's silly to say he looks eight (someone said that he looks 8 earlier) since he definitely looks older than sophocles who if we accept has to be at least 10, we can't say Ash looks 8
Aren’t Max and Bonnie supposed to be like 7-8? Yeah sure saying he looks 8 is heavily pushing it (maybe they meant his face looks similar to an 8 year old’s when he does those exaggerated expressions or something like that... idk).

Height isn't a good determining factor of age in the Pokemon anime. They draw height pretty inconsistently

Actually it’s pretty consistent when you look at episodes animated by Masaki Iwane (who is the most consistent and reliable animator).

Aren’t Max and Bonnie supposed to be like 7-8? Yeah sure saying he looks 8 is heavily pushing it (maybe they meant his face looks similar to an 8 year old’s when he does those exaggerated expressions or something like that... idk).

Actually it’s pretty consistent when you look at episodes animated by Masaki Iwane (who is the most consistent and reliable animator).

Ye that's what I meant. His emotional maturity is on the standards of an 8-year old. All those stupid faces as well

I don't know, in XY/XYZ, Serena was drawn as being taller than Ash sometimes and sometimes she was drawn at same height

DatsRight

Ye that's what I meant. His emotional maturity is on the standards of an 8-year old. All those stupid faces as well

I don't know, in XY/XYZ, Serena was drawn as being taller than Ash sometimes and sometimes she was drawn at same height

I think nearly all the female companions had that height incosistency. May and Lillie switch between being smaller than Ash or being Misty's height. May also became less curvy in DP, making her even closer to an 'ageing down'.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Hey, there we go discussing Ash's age again :p

Honestly, I don't mind with what kind of age he looks to have in the design as long as I've find it cool.

... Which totally isn't what's happening with Sun and Moon. The protagonist's clothes didn't look that good on Ash IMHO

May was generally drawn shorter than Ash for nearly all of AG, she's one of the shortest Pokegirls. Misty (at least in the OS), Dawn and Serena are all a little taller than him.

XY was somewhat crazy as far as heights are concerning. Sometimes Ash seemed smaller than Serena and Clemont, sometimes taller... Man, it was really noticeable back then lol

DatsRight

May was generally drawn shorter than Ash for nearly all of AG, she's one of the shortest Pokegirls. Misty (at least in the OS), Dawn and Serena are all a little taller than him.

May was Misty's height in her first episode however. I thought Dawn was near around the same height as Ash (I know there were lots of shots of her a bit shorter or taller), hence likely why it was hard keeping consistency.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I'd rather animation be improved.

If it goes back to a sharper art style at the expense of animation, then I'd rather just read the manga.

Anime is short for animation...why wouldn't I want it to be improved?

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Welp. SM lost consistent good quality battles. Pretty integral part of the anime.

When you compare past series battles to XY/XYZ, you can’t really compare. Even DP.

They’re LITERAL gags. I would love for them to be cool like they were in BW, but that ain’t happening again

The 3DCG layouts have nothing to do with it. Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki is simply not focusing on the battle scenes for this series. The vast majority of the talented animators have been working on the drama and comedy scenes. If Tomiyasu wants to focus on the battles he can. Remember, Tomiyasu Daiki is a talented action director, too, even more so than Yajima Tetsuo. Tomiyasu was the storyboard artist and episode director for Pocket Monster: The Origin Episode #4. He was also the series director of Pokemon Generations and storyboarded Episode #4.

WiT studio was on that one. Don’t think the Pokémon anime can get WiT on board for a whole season of Pokémon. Considering how well AoT is animated and drawn, it would be a dream come true. But considering the Pokemon anime’s budget, it’ll probably be hard

Maybe there are more sane people than I thought there were?

WIT takes on too many projects at once, thus the quality of their projects suffer, like with Shingeki no Kyojin, which can only survive because of freelancers. All of that series' good animation is handled by freelance animators who leave for other projects between seasons.

The 3DCG layouts have nothing to do with it. Series Director Tomiyasu Daiki is simply not focusing on the battle scenes for this series. The vast majority of the talented animators have been working on the drama and comedy scenes. If Tomiyasu wants to focus on the battles he can. Remember, Tomiyasu Daiki is a talented action director, too, even more so than Yajima Tetsuo. Tomiyasu was the storyboard artist and episode director for Pocket Monster: The Origin Episode #4. He was also the series director of Pokemon Generations and storyboarded Episode #4.

WIT takes on too many projects at once, thus the quality of their projects suffer, like with Shingeki no Kyojin, which can only survive because of freelancers. All of that series' good animation is handled by freelance animators who leave for other projects between seasons.

Like I said, SM’s lost an integral part of the Pokémon anime

Huh, I did not know that. I assume then @Yuugis Black Magician that WiT studio hires these freelancers? So doesn’t that mean they’re still working with WiT?

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Like I said, SM’s lost an integral part of the Pokémon anime

Huh, I did not know that. I assume then @Yuugis Black Magician that WiT studio hires these freelancers? So doesn’t that mean they’re still working with WiT?

Freelancers are brought onto projects by project-specific staff who know them personally, but since they are not in-house staff they are free to work on whatever project for whatever studio they like. For example, Ootsuka Ken regularly bounces between Toei Animation and Sunrise. Meanwhile, you have Tanaka Hironori, whose entire career has been all over the map, whether Toei Animation, Studio Pierrot or any small sub-contracting studio. There's also legends like Matsumoto Norio, Oohira Shin'ya, and Honda Takeshi, who run around the industry working on whatever project they like, typically for friends or their mentees.

In other words, WIT itself is basically a shell and the quality of their projects has nothing to do with in-house staff so much as the connections of whoever is working on a project as its main staff. Imai Arifumi and Ebara Yasuyuki among others are free to work where they please. It all depends on who working on Pokemon has connections with an animator or not .