• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter1988

They need to go, and should have gone a long time ago.

Unfortunately the writers obviously like them as they can squeeze more and more filler episodes out of their antics.

By now they are just a terrible waste of pokemon (Woobat, Yamask, Frillish, Amoongus, Inkay, Pumpkaboo) and Jessie doesn't even have her contest thing anymore, something which, on the odd occasion, made her a little more sympathetic

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I'm going to agree with everyone who says Team Rocket has long worn out their welcome. They've lost their charm and are now just tedious and annoying.

I think they were already gotten tedious and annoying during Sinnoh and I have had watched enough dub DP eps to back it up.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Team Rocket no longer serve a strong purpose in the show anymore as the anime sometimes creates villains of the day as they do characters of the day. The truly sad thing about it is that the villains of the day are usually stronger then Team Rocket and present a bigger threat for that episode. The funny thing is and this will be strange coming from a guy like me who refuses to watch the full series, but Team Rocket took a right step of direction in BW. I couldn't stand them in DP, and don't anybody bring up Jessie's Contest. Considering how she was treated in the GF, they were ultimately a waste of time that they should of spent on the real Contest rivals. After DP I didn't think they could sink any lower but BW happened and for the first 13 episodes that I watched, they were being handled like true villains. It was a step in the right direction and I felt they made a bigger leap then Ash ever did in BW. But then they would go back to being goofy punching bags.

I actually love Jessie, James, and Meowth. The three are very entertaining characters when used right the problem is they suffer from the same syndrome that plagues Ash and Brock. Team Rocket should have ended years ago. The name 'Team Rocket' is a joke now and I can never take it seriously because of this. I wonder why they have kept Giovanni and his group for so long? I consider groups like Team Galactic and Team Plasma overall better, even Team Flare's leader seems more ruthless then Giovanni. Team Rocket is played out, washed up, and trying to keep it relevant in the anime still puzzles me. Jessie, James, and Meowth, all very fun entertaining characters back in the day have suffered greatly for it.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
i'm gland at least they didnt show TR every episode
but yeah the need to go far far away

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think they were already gotten tedious and annoying during Sinnoh and I have had watched enough dub DP eps to back it up.

They've been redundant since before DP imo. Like someone else said, the writers have provided many other threats during the show so I'm still trying to understand why they feel the need to keep Team Rocket around. I mean what's the point? I don't think kids in general even like Team Rocket; they did a live show once and literally 99% of the people who attended were adults. So I really don't think Team Rocket appeals to the target audience.

Nightmareisalive

Personally, I find Team Rocket annoying, and sometimes a bit.. not smart (don't want to say stupid)

Honestly you can say stupid because that is what they are. When the anime started they were interesting since they were the bad guys and did act like the bad guys they just had a funny way of messing things up. The writers saw how the fans liked it and just made them the clowns of the show. It really showed how bad quality the show was when Team Rocket was needed in nearly every episode to either waste time or make it interesting.

When they had the whole personality change I thought it was a good move, sadly the Japanese fans didn't which is a shame since a high breed between the two team rockets personalty's would of been amazing.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
If you know me, you'll know I strongly think TR should have been axed years ago - why? Because the writers refused to do anything new at all with their characters and they were just stand around gags, hence the fan nickname "Team Plot Device." Then BW came along, showed their strong improvement as agents in stealth, ability, and smarts. It was great, in fact some of that got retained in XY a bit with their continued usage of those Professor Zager technology pieces like the nets in the cubes or James' pseudo-PokeDex replacing those silly cards. But I'm unhappy with how much of a backward spiral they've taken since Da! In BW they actually had plot-lines and arcs. and were doing new things regularly aside from being Ash's punching bags and trying in vain to take Pikachu. They were relevant for the first time in years, it was great how much investment the writers were putting into TR. Shame we're likely to not get that at all in XY, they're just background noise to me a lot of the time. I'm at least glad the writers aren't being super annoying and putting them in every episode. Inkay is nice though, I like the species and it was at least shown to be somewhat decent....early on before becoming a punching bag. Giovanni's new uniform is a slight light of hope for me that they'll do something important.

Atreyu

I was never happy with Team Rocket's serious, robot-like personality when they were in Unova.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Honestly you can say stupid because that is what they are. When the anime started they were interesting since they were the bad guys and did act like the bad guys they just had a funny way of messing things up. The writers saw how the fans liked it and just made them the clowns of the show. It really showed how bad quality the show was when Team Rocket was needed in nearly every episode to either waste time or make it interesting.

When they had the whole personality change I thought it was a good move, sadly the Japanese fans didn't which is a shame since a high breed between the two team rockets personalty's would of been amazing.

That's the thing, when you have to please audiences all over the world. their main focus is the Japanese audience, so despite many of us loathing TR they won't change them. if Japan like them then they will stay how they are.

Cataquack Warrior

I actually have liked Team Rocket throughout. They have interesting personalities that I have come to love. There has been a lot of work put into their individual stories and character throughout the series, and together they make a great team. It was disconcerting when they got their game up in Unova, but it was also kind of exciting, though I'm a little disappointed that they've suffered from decay again.

One benefit they bring to the show is Chandler's Law, in which a lull in the plot is suddenly broken by chaotic action. I can't count the number of times that Team Rocket has gotten the plot rolling in an episode through their interference. Consider the alternatives. There aren't many other ways to invoke Chandler's law in the isolated areas that Ash and the gang travel through. The larger villain organizations usually only appear in special arcs. Outside of them, there aren't many outright antagonistic forces out there to suddenly launch a raid. There's always the wild Pokemon and random trainer, but the series usually tries to resolve those conflicts by the end of the episode, with the party befriending the new people and Pokemon. In fact, Chandler's Law sometimes needs to be invoked for the sake of reconciling the two sides. Therefore, I think Team Rocket plays an important role in the series as an antagonistic force that can be relied on to suddenly burst on the scene at any given time and bring some much-needed chaos to the fold.

I'm neutral towards them.

It was interesting to see them be serious criminals in Black an White for a change, though.

LT_Lucario

Sultan of Steel
Ive always enjoyed James. James is just a generally good dude. All of his Pokemon love him like crazy, he's always making the puns and rhymes, he loves his grandparents (who are also just great people). Its just he didnt want to get married to Jessebelle and do all that rich guy stuff so he joined team rocket. Im not sayig the Team Rocket ethics are anything to live by im just saying he needed a way out and he took it. Kudos to you James.

Jesse is hot dough

And i prefer team Rocket silly, they arent going to accomplish anything anyway, might as well make us laugh in the process

Carrie Chapin

The Queen of Meep
I always have viewed Team Rocket with a strange light. They dance and do creepy stuff when you encounter them and have horrible pokemon who always try to eat them. I would have thought they would have disintegrated by now but although they are quite annoying I feel they are an essential part of the anime.

I always have viewed Team Rocket with a strange light. They dance and do creepy stuff when you encounter them and have horrible pokemon who always try to eat them. I would have thought they would have disintegrated by now but although they are quite annoying I feel they are an essential part of the anime.

What do you mean by 'eat them'?

LT_Lucario

Sultan of Steel
Ya thats not hunger thats love.
Ok so i found out their names in japanese are Mushasi (Jesse) and Kijiro (James) which are the names of two really awesome samurais, whci imediately made me jealous like, "Why do they get awesome names in Japan and all we get is Jesse James.... Omfg Jesse James haha!"
Almost 20 years and im just realizing this haha

Jessie James
Butch Cassidy
And the one from Alto Mare movie. Annie Oakley.

They like their criminal puns...

Last edited:

LT_Lucario

Sultan of Steel
I love them so much more now haha
Kind of an insult to the real deal though...
But James is definitely one of my favorite characters, i wouldnt be happy if they left, but id continue watching

Status
Not open for further replies.