• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bug Team

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
Hey all i'm constructing a primarily pure bug type team, on Gen 4. Though i plan on using 1 non bug type. I've almost gotten all of these pokemon as well as the moves ill be using according to a theoretical battle simulations i've placed within my mind :p.
The pokemon ill be using are venomoth,armaldo,heracross,scizor.
These 4 pokemon are confirmed and i have some in shiny forms as well as 3 of the following in adamant, hehehe.
The 2 other pokemon i might be using are politoad as well as kabutops.
The only questionable thing i have in mind though is a few variation with movesets. They would be mainly scizors moveset. I need some help with mainly scizor's movesets as well as kabutop's. Any suggestions towards these things or even about the team itself would be greatly appreciated.
Ps my scizor plans on using scope lens.

Also im thinking about instead of Armaldo , a kabutops with swift swim and a sword dance.

Scizor@ scope lens
adamant
roost
sword dance
x sizzor / ?
stone edge / bullet punch

Armaldo @( no item yet )
adamant
x sizzor
earthquake? / ?
Sword dance /
rest/ water gun ??

Heracross@ hopefully scope lens/expert belt
adamant
mega horn
sword dance
substitute / ?
Rock slide / ?

politoad@
ability :drizzle
hypnosis
hydro pump
dynamic punch
belly drum

Shuckle@ leftovers
Double team
power trick
earthquake/stone edge
headbutt??/ strength?

Venomoth@ wide lens
nature:impish /// Ability:compound eyes
Sleep powder
bug buzz
roost?/ giga drain
sludge bomb.

Last edited:

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Technically this is against the rules so don't guarante advice and a moderator does have the right to lock this thread until you edit in changes.
Rules specifiy that you should have some sort of a full team with some sort of a moveset if you want it rated.

The bug pokemon you have look fine. The other two pokemon you suggested are ok but no, I don't think they'll work best together and with the team.
You lack special attackers so you probably want AT LEAST ONE MORE of those. I'm thinking something that has access to thunderbolt and ice beam. Or maybe a speedy ghost type like gengar or mismagius. Perhaps a fire type?

Scizor is usually preferred if it has technician because that ability+bug bite is more power than x scissor. Also, the ability boosts the power of the priority STAB move bullet punch which is a absolute most on scizor. So I want you using that instead of shadow claw.
Or you could keep that move, use brick break > roost and give it a choice band. That kinda works too. Your choice

IF YOU EDIT YOUR POST I WILL HELP YOU MORE. AND I LIKE HELPING AND SO DO OTHERS SO PLEASE DO :D

5sniperwolf

ToxicFlame-Breeder
Well I recommend for your Pinsir this moveset, I've seen it in action and works very nice (plus I recommend Mold Breaker more than Hyper Cutter): Earthquake, X-Scissor, Sword Dance, Rock Throw
Purple has a point about special attackers (I have the same problem xD and redoing my team) and if you planing to have wi fi battles, you are gonna have a rough time with fire type pokemons since there are many fast fire pokemons and your team doesn't seems to resist special attacks, (from my point of view, encounter an arcanine with thunder fang, Magmortar with thunderbolt and you are done) also I've seen trainers with ninetales with energy ball so there goes your attempt to balance with politoed and kabutops, you need to balance your team according to their individual weaknesses, ( Im telling you that cause my team got WIPED OUT once with 1 pokemon) xD

Im not much of an expert but that are my recommendations

Celestial Moth

Yeah , for god's sake at least post some movesets. Are you really that lazy?

Lol i like people like you.
But yeah i havn't posted a full moveset, as i straight up havnt put together full movesets as of yet and im looking for some positive ideas or suggestions as i love bugs :). Though armaldo ,scizor heracross are more likely than not going to be "sword dancing", I'd lead with my politoad and it would have hydrp pump,hynosis and dynamic punch and probably belly drum. I'm also thinking about adding a shuckle to this team because i didnt no that it can do this new 4th gen move called power trick and i see some major opportunities for perhaps a special attacking monster if i double team enuf and simply tank out a few turns with leftovers. So fare with shuckle i have earthquake, double team and powertrick and i'm thinking about breeding for headbutt i think, but i cant remember if it actually can learn headbutt so i'm thinking about teaching it strength or another physical attack. I no shuckles aren't really attackers but with powertrick and double team i think theirs a lot of potential.

Yeah i did notice this "special attack weakness" of the sorts, but i was kinda hoping that a sword dancing roost bug and or just sword dancing substitute would be enuff to equalize out this problem without much special attackers. Though i was also thinking about an octillery as it would work well with its very variable movesets to say the least.
Also i feel like i have to say that this isn't so much of a hardcore strategy battle team , the pokemon in the team that ill be using are ones i prefer to train and battle with. I dont really wanna be battling with pokemon i don't like and are purely using because their "good".

I've been messing around with a few venomoth variations and so fare id give it sleep powder obliviously, bug buzz, psychic and perhaps sludge bomb. Though i am currently training a shiny venomoth, that i plan on having roost,sleep powder , bug buzz and maybe sludge bomb. I have a level 100 alakazam , but ehh.

I kinda like "hynosis-able" movesets so iwill think about a speedy gengar as that does sound like a good pokemon to give my bugs defence of the sorts.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Agh! It's impossible to Rate anything here. There aren't any Movesets, even if have any, you still are breaking the rule Of Team Format. There is a Thread on 4th Gen IGRMT that explain all the rules. Anyway, post your team in that format:
Pokemon@Item(if there's any item)
Nature(if you care about Natures)
~Move 1
~Move 2
~Move 3
~Move 4
You can Post EV's if you have any, or are EV Training.
Hope you Understand, and please, edit your First-Post on that Thread with your team

Celestial Moth

Agh! It's impossible to Rate anything here. There aren't any Movesets, even if have any, you still are breaking the rule Of Team Format. There is a Thread on 4th Gen IGRMT that explain all the rules.
Hope you Understand, and please, edit your First-Post on that Thread with your team

Sorry about this rule infraction, i did read some rules for the record.. just not this particular set lol

Last edited:

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Yes you should use water gun on armaldo lol
No.. speaking seriously, rock slide should be the fourth move

Use a fighting move > substitute on heracross
heracross doesn't need expert belt as an item. If you have guts ability, then go with flame or toxic orb as an item. And swords dance probably isn't necessary so use protect or shadow claw in that case

do you mean poliwrath and not politoad? Either way, I don't think they work tremendously well on your team.
Like I mentioned before, I suggest for your non bug pokemon, something that has access to boltbeam (ice beam+thunder bolt) and is a special attacker.

roost or giga drain on venemoth -> both seem fine. You choose which you want

Aura Sensei™

User Title
If Scizor has Technician as it's Ability then go with Bullet Punch and Bug Bite > X-Scissor. And Brick Break > Roost.

For Hera's Fighting Type move run Close Combat.

This should be in the Challenge Forum and Politoed isn't a Bug-type.

Celestial Moth

And you should be in a Mental Institution so they can check your brain.

He dosen't need to post it there.

Hehe, Yeah i no politoad isnt classifed as a bug, but toads and frogs eat bugs so technically he is a bug cause he or shes made of what the bugs are mode of.
Game set and mach, technically its a bug :p