• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Communication

I've only read the first chapter, but I'm gonna give a review regardless.

So this is a pretty strong start to the story! I love how you characterised Solonn and his mother, and I really liked you you added Pokemon carnivorous behaviour too, since that's not really explored all too much in fanfic. I loved how Solonn was so against the idea of becoming a Glalie for fear of harming other life, and I also loved how his mother demonstrated that she still cared for the things she killed despite having to eat them, much to the confusion of Solonn. Also, the intrigue set up by Solonn not being allowed in the cave where the Spheal and Sealeo were is well written, and I am curious to see where that place actually is, so kudos on that!

Overall, sorry for such a short review, but I do like it!

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Nerdy McNerdface: No need for apologies--this review gave me a much needed smile. ;w;

Glad the Carnivore Confusion elements are going over well! That's one of the topics that interests me the most when it comes to pokeymans; it's fun to sort of prod into the ramifications of all that.

Thanks for the read 'n' reply!

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Hiya, me again. I started to read the first chapter of The Worldslayers and got quite a bit confused about... well... a lot of it. So I did the logical thing and read this. Here are my thoughts (chapter thoughts spoilered to prevent page stretch).

This is a very broad, sweeping narrative that you’ve got going on here. I say that in the sense of this feels like several different self-contained stories kind of strung together with Solonn being the single thread that unifies all of them. It’s one part journeyman story, and another part political intrigue, and then a third part apocalyptic, given what transpires at around the halfway point. I feel like there are a few plot points that got hung out to dry (see chapter thoughts below, but I had a strange suspicion that a certain Latios was going to factor into the later story, only for him to not). I must compliment you for just how thoroughly this fic thematically presents its namesake. Communicating is such an integral aspect of this entire story. It’s what sets Solonn off on this ridiculous journey and it causes several developments at each stop along the way. It’s how he makes an agreement with Morgan. It’s how he ends up entwined with Jal’tai and, ultimately, forcible conscripted into his ridiculous idea. There’s a failure to communicate with his own people that leads to the schism that drives him away. I could go on, but you get the idea. There’s also a strong mental communication aspect, with how intricately a lot of the psychic stuff is woven into this story, too.

As far as characterization goes, Solonn is interesting because he’s rather stoic. His inner monologue can get a bit shellshocked at times, but considering the sheer amount of bad stuff that’s happened to him over the course of his life, it’s amazing he’s anything other than depressed. I get it, it’s fiction, you can do what you want with him. I was just intrigued by his relatively calm demeanor. Probably because it made the moments where his emotions really bubbled up to the surface hit a lot harder (e.g. when his mom dies, or when Jal’tai’s transfiguration thing wears off completely). The secondary characters were a bit of a mixed bag for me. I loved Oth, and came to love Grosh as well. That said, the various Glalie that end up accompanying Solonn as the fic hits its later chapters all blurred together and there were pretty frequent moments where I couldn’t tell any of them apart, if I’m honest. Out of curiosity, what’s the inspiration for the Glalies’ names. I feel like there are bits of certain languages mixed in, but I can’t tell which ones.

Overall, this was, I think, rather different in structure from The Origin of Storms. I’d say it’s about equally depressing, but less in a grizzly/deathly manner and more in just a “stream of tragedies,” manner. Because every time it seems like things are looking up for Solonn, something else goes wrong. It certainly makes the ending the most positive aspect of the story, which is strange to say, given how bittersweet it is. But, it’s perfectly fine. I enjoyed it, for all the heartbreak that it wrought. XP

[SPOIL]Ch 1
Interesting little opening here for Solonn. I’m not sure what to shink of Groth leaving at this point, as I feel like he may factor into the story at a later point. The bulk of this chapter, I feel like, has two different things going on. The first is this sense of mysticism with the Shoal Cave, that tries to paint it in a very mysterious light (and I always thought it was strange in the games). And then there’s the relationship between different species of Pokémon. It’s interesting seeing Solonn and Sophine interact and then hear the opinions of their mothers, especially the predator/prey tidbit. Kind of plays on the dark Pokédex entries a lot of these species have.

Ch 2
Well, that didn’t take long for something very strange to happen. I could see how something like that might turn Solonn into a bit of a recluse. And oh my god, Zyrzir is a perfect representation of how obnoxious Zubat are to deal with in the games. Though, it looks like he ultimately serves as a catalyst to snap Solonn out of his isolation (ice-solation?). Not sure if this is supposed to tie into, well, the title, but the fact that Solonn’s impressions led him to get tied up with that group of Glalie and ultimately end up captured by a human trainer made me think of the story’s title. That… probably sounded really repetitive.

Ch 3
So, this is interesting. A glimpse into the mind of captured Pokémon, so to speak. There’s less of an enthusiasm here, and more of a resigned acceptance of their current situation. Which is a bit unsettling, but probably makes sense from the Pokémon’s point of view. Especially since Morgan seems like a prototypical coordinator of sorts. The chapter continues this whole language theme, first with the language barrier and then with Solonn overcoming it to interact directly with Morgan. Also explains how he knows how to speak human in the other stories. His conversation with Morgan does seem to lead to the impression that she’s actually a kindhearted person and isn’t just looking to take complete advantage of him. Which, I suppose, is an interesting contrast to the way some of his friends seemed to treat him at home. Ironic that he wanted to avoid the spotlight so badly but he’s getting thrust into it.

Ch 4
Heh, I got a laugh out of that Pokéblock bit. Also, a glimpse at Alakazam ethical code. It’s nifty that Morgan really goes to such great lengths to respect Solonn’s boundaries. It feels like every effort’s made her to make her come across as a genuine nice girl. I like reading all of this stuff from Solonn’s perspective. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but it offers an alternate look on the basic mechanics of training. And a brief moral quandry over evolving. It all ends up with the contest, in which it seems like Solonn suffers a bit of sensory overload, mixed with serious stage fright.

Ch 5
I’m reminded of Pikachu getting mad and considering the Thunder Stone after losing to Raichu with the start of the chapter here. I guess not too many fics considering the psychological effects of failure on a Pokémon, since they tend to focus on a trainer. The evolution scene was interesting, because there was much more of a psychologic aspect to it before the actual physical changes kicked in.

Ch 6
Ah, contest descriptions. I say, having not really read any contest-related fics at all. So, I liked the descriptors for Solonn’s routine. The battle was nifty too. Certainly wasn’t expecting the Golduck to pull out an Attract. It’s always fun seeing relatively useless/trollish moves in the game put into effect in fics. And having him win at the last second with lowered points feels like a good early victory, as opposed to just an overpowering performance.

Ch 7
Okay, didn’t see that coming. Solonn got poached! And here I thought this was going to be a contest-related arc of sorts. You write a good creepy Sableye, by the way. Xi seemed like a total fruit loop.

Ch 8
Welp, that capture sure didn’t last long. I’m not going to question where Morgan got the hammer from, but I find it a little funny she could clobber a ghost with one. Nevertheless, quite surprised that these guys filched all of Morgan’s like Pokémon. It was really sad to read, since she seemed like such a nice girl. And apparently Solonn was even growing close to his teammates, so that hurt a bit to read, too. I suppose their conversation before Solonn gets released is another case of this fic’s title coming into play, seeing as both of them are trying to take responsibility for what happened, but at the same time they both think it isn’t the other’s fault. Gave me a slight case of the feels. ;~;

Ch 9
Hoo boy, it must’ve taken Solonn every ounce of willpower not to munch on that little Zigzagoon. I thought we’d be getting a bit of a visceral moment there. Actually, you could make the case that a big part of Solonn’s character is restraint and it’s definitely on display here. But we have the origins (so to speak) of Convergence. Or at least, its existence pre-extinction. I’d be just as skeptical as Solonn. It’s a concept that sounds totally crazy on paper.

Ch 10
Ayy, we got a title-drop! So, it seems like words (spoken and written) are the central theme here. That’s a take on Unown I haven’t seen before, though it speaks to that theory they have a much greater power that we don’t know of (and the games never see fit to address). The whole meat-eating tidbit from the last chapter roars back with a vengeance and again Solonn shows some impressive forebrain overriding of his natural instincts. I mean, he ate it. But a steaksicle is a pretty funny concept to picture. The hotel’s room entrance mechanism is very unique. Seems like it’s pretty secure.

Ch 11
Aaaaaaand cue bizarre-o transformation sequence #2. Like, the only thing I could possibly think of was that something was in the steak he ate. The result is an episode of body dysphoria (am I even using that right?) that ultimately leads to the first major display of emotion from Solonn thus far. And while I’m not surprised Jal’tai had something to do with all this nonsense, OH MY GOD HE’S A LATIOS! <3 *squeeing intensifies*

Ch 12
Dang, Jal’tai is one crazy prepared fellow. That explains how the Sableye was dealt with. And the steak was spiked was a sleeping pill. Maybe I’m better at guessing things than I thought? Jal’tai kind of reads like a more obsessive, somewhat riskier, Pokémon version of N (unless you’re part of that camp that thinks he’s actually a Zoroark). And I like the illustration of his illusionary powers and their limits, especially since I think only Latias gets to do illusion stuff in the official media. But poor Solonn, his whole life’s defined by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ch 13
Jal’tai’s just a crazy old nutter, ain’t he. His stuff at the beginning is basically word-for-word what he already said to Solonn. He must really want to go on retirement. And even though there’s a bit of a psychic element to it, seeing Solonn try to walk is like watching someone in rehab or physical therapy. Poor fella. It’s so strange reading this chapter because, like, it’s really basic stuff that I do in my everyday life and seeing it explained out isn’t very interesting. But Jal’tai’s (over)enthusiasm gives it such an oddly creepy vibe. Made my hair stand on end, to be quite honest.

Ch 14
My god, this is like reading about someone getting put into indentured servitude or something. The idea of a Chimecho using musical therapy is pretty nifty… unless it’s brainwashing, in which case it’s totally creepy! I can’t really tell. I had a pretty bad feeling there was no way his escape would work as planned, however. Trying to sneak past a powerful psychic has a tendency to make things like that happen, after all.

Ch 15
Psycho-surgery, basically. Jal’tai put poor Solonn into a psychically-induced coma, or what have you. That is totally messed up and deliciously twisted! And what follows is basically just like a surgeon going through someone’s brain and attempting to cut out unhealthy, cancerous tissue. Except it’s all inverted and Solonn did nothing wrong and Jal’tai’s a monster.

Ch 16
So, am I to understand that Jal’tai altered Solonn’s memories so that he willingly accepts the transformation, and Jal’tai comes across as a bit of a concerned old man in the process? That’s, uh, well… do I call it miscommunication? It almost seems like that’s what it is. Or, rather, Jal’tai’s methods of forcing his will onto Solonn. It’s not quite brainwashing, but it is mindscrew and it’s just so bizarre seeing that actually happen and get played out like it was some sort of surgery or arts and crafts project.

Ch 17
I don’t know how to explain it, but the fact that Solonn has this very vague notion that something’s off, and he can’t really explain some of his sensations, is very creepy. Like he has a void or something that’s being filled by someone else entirely. Also, that “Bwaaa!” when he wakes up made me think of Hank Hill. Probably unintentional. I’ll give Jal’tai this though, his tidbit about not waking up too close to whatever you have to do at the start of the day is pretty true. I tend to wake up 2-ish hours before work starts. I also got a kick out of the kids thinking Solonn was to be their new teacher. Even with Pokémon, school shenanigans continue. And I like the Porygon2, Exeter. Sorry, Systan Exeter. Makes me think of a sci-fi, futuristic school where all the lessons are beamed into kids heads or something. I know I’m weird. XP

Ch 18
Dang, you just cut the fluff and moved right onto Solonn being in charge. I ain’t complaining. I was just expecting something to go “wrong” during his training. In his current state, Solonn seems much more reserved and quieter. As if he’s not entirely communicating everything that he’s feeling, but I get to know what he thinks thanks to the narration. The party definitely showcases that; very awkward. As did Jal’tai’s departure, sit I have the knowledge that he totally mucked up Solonn’s brain to serve his own selfish purposes. Like, I still think of him as a villain, despite his polite, relatively-friendly appearance.

Ch 19
Welp, looks like Jal’tai got what he rightfully deserved. Good, serves the guy right! On the other hand, I’m again quite surprised that Solonn reverted to being a Glalie. Wonder if that has something to do with Jal’tai severing that psychic connection he had. Just when I feel like I know what’s going to happen, you keep throwing me curveballs. Well played. Especially how, in the reverse-transformation, he flash-freezes a guy because of his powers returning.

Ch 20
Oh my god, everything I thought I knew was a complete and total lie! Jal’tai’s even nastier than I expected. And to really add to the heartbreak, just when it looks like Solonn might get a reunion with the friends he’s held onto all these years, the deranics(?) strike and cause the massive plague/apocalypse that wipes out humanity. That dream sequence at the end was particularly heartbreaking. Dang it, Sike, why you play with my feelings like this? *sniffle*

Ch 21
Okay, this is at least a little bit more upbeat. Nice, sweet reunion between Solonn and his mother. And well deserved after everything they’ve been through. Though, there’s clearly something bubbling underneath the surface, here. Because Solonn can’t catch a break, apparently.

Ch 22
First off, it’s a bit gut wrenching that, in spite of the fact that he never intended to leave his home, he’s come to adopt (and miss) so many different things he experienced as a trainer’s Pokémon, and then later as a human. But onto the next tidbit, looks like I was right about Solonn’s father factoring into the story later. And, hey, with the return home comes the return of some old challenges. At least I finally get a look at Grosh. And it turns out he’s actually a kind soul, but circumstances made things extremely difficult for him and Azvida. Makes me glad I didn’t dismiss him as nasty back in the first chapter. I’m amazed at how consistent Solonn’s relative stoicness continues to be in the face of all the stuff that’s happening here. It’s very impressive.

Ch 23
Another time skip. Solonn keeps have to adjust to new lives. That sort of change has got to take its toll on a guy. And hello, Jen! So, he’s actually related to Solonn after all. It’s funny to see Jen converse with Solonn about evolving, since in The Origin of Storms he seems rather frightened of Glalie. Oth returns as well, strangely enough. So, why do I feel like something bad’s about to happen? Because every time Solonn “settles in,” something goes wrong.

Ch 24
Oh, hey, look, something went wrong. Is it bad that this is becoming a pattern I can pick up on? Eh, I guess that’s just tragic fics for you. The overwhelming power of the attacking Glalie is pretty clear, but Azvida manages to pull of a few crafty maneuvers. And a not so craft one, in the case of the giant earthquake. Then, of course, much more gut-wrenching stuff follows. The descriptions of what’s left over at the temple aren’t super-visceral or anything, but the desperation is pretty clear with Solonn trying to get his mom back to Azvida, only for it to fail and she ends up dying in the end. Then the Security Guild shows up, and it’s like police descending on an out-of-control situation. Solonn just wants to help with everything terrible that’s happened, but bureaucracy stands in the way. Somewhat ironic since Solonn was a bureaucrat himself for awhile.

Ch 25
As if things couldn’t possibly get any worse! All the kids are taken too? And then the council tries to implicate Oth and Grosh, because they’re not Glalie, so obviously they’re responsible. It doesn’t even seem like Solonn can mount a fair defense in this instant. I feel like there’s a decent real-world analogy I can paint, but can’t spell it out in words. Flawed justice system? And an overall failure to communicate? Yes, I will not stop pointing out communication-related stuff. He even ends up essentially on probation (though my guess is he’ll break it for the sake of trying to do the right thing).

Ch 26
Solonn is extraordinarily paranoid here. But, deservedly so, considering he’s immediately ambushed. Jeez, it’s like this Glalie tribe has a secret police thing going. At least, that’s how it seemed depicted to me. At the very least, Solonn finally catches a break and is able to teleport out with Oth and Grosh. But the damage has already been done. As Grosh and Oth end up coming to find out, sadly. Yeah, Oth’s inability to even telepath anything shows his reaction off pretty well. As for their plan to try and bail out the kids, not gonna lie, I don’t have a lot of faith given how everything else has gone so far. I’m rooting for Solonn, but I expect another defeat here.

Ch 27
Despite his skepticism, Zilag’s a true friend after all! I must say that for all the depressing stuff that happens, it’s amazing that these relationships Solonn makes on his journeyman voyage endure all the crazy stuff that gets thrown at him. And it’s done so believably, too. The investigation that follows is, well, more paranoia fuel. Especially with the only thing lying in the cave being the occasional Zubat, and all the Walreins apparently disappearing. But, in the end they’re able to capture and interrogate one of the exiles. Although I don’t blame Solonn for flashing back to his treatment under Jal’tai. I’m surprised he didn’t develop a rabid fear of psychics after Sei freed up the parts of his mind.

Ch 28
And just like that, we’re back in Convergence. In the same hospital Essax will later rampage through, no less. And Adn is here (I suspect some sort of relation to Jal’tai out of the guy, but I’m just paranoid like that) to help, though it looks like the Snorunts have some sort of mindscrew going on. We also get the reveal that Sanaika’s leading the exiles. If I’m not misremembering, he was involved in one of Solonn’s early “excursions” as a Snorunt. Possibly the one that led to him getting caught by Morgan? But, oh wait, they’re whisked away before we get any solid answers. Curses!

Ch 29
Well, at least the Walrein situation is kinda defused. But it doesn’t leave this ragtag group in a very good state. And, again, a bit of a paranoia fuel is setting in with Oth conversing just with Zilag and Zdir. Makes me feel like there’s some bit of deception that’s going to happen. Or, y’know, that the whole thing with an enemy psychic is some sort of set-up nonsense. Oh god, Jal’tai’s totally somehow involved, isn’t he? He really is the Big Bad, so to speak, I think. @.@

Ch 30
Dreamy premonition mindscrew. Just adding more fuel to the paranoia fire that something’s going to go wrong potentially. It’s a perfect storm, Security Guild Glalie wandering, Oth’s teleportation totally nullified. And Solonn just feels on edge (he’s practically becoming part-psychic himself). Zilag’s a pretty convincing actor, at the very least. This Security Guild keeps growing creepier. And I feel like they might actually be in league with Snaika in whatnot. Maybe there’s some giant, overriding force (*cough*Jal’tai*cough*) controlling both sides?

Ch 31
And another timeskip. This one not as beneficial for Solonn as some of the previous ones. But, hey, look, Grosh is taking center stage after mostly being in the background this whole time. The Dugtrio was a pretty funny moment in what’s otherwise been a rather dour fic. Kind of like the similar moments of levity woven into The Origin of Storms. And it looks like he’s much more successful than Solonn in making some progress. I see you’ve given us another fakemon. The only thing that comes to mind with it, are the spectral horses that pull the Lightning Chariot in Kid Icarus Uprising. Other than that, I’ve got nothing. :V

Ch 32
Ah, some genuine training (no humans involved whatsoever). It seems that this time skip had, yet again, created a sort of status quo for Solonn, continuing the pattern that’s propagated throughout the story thus far. It’s impressive you’ve kept that cycle going as long as you have. Although, it may have been designed that way from the get go. You also introduce fugitives from the exiled Glalies, which makes me particularly nervous because we’re coming upon that time when something should go wrong again, I feel like. Their plights are interesting, because it reads as a bit of a what-if should Oth’s teleporting of Solonn back to Shoal Caves have gone awry in the first place. But the interrogation is brief, since Grosh shows up with a cavalry in tow! Go Grosh! I’m sorry I ever doubted you at the start of the story.

Ch 33
The mystery of Oth’s teleportation failure continues to intrigue. I’m envisioning it like someone exerted the effects of a Move Deleter on them. At least Zilag’s family is actually safe. I mean, they’re still essentially Poké-Refugees. Which is a bummer. Bigger bummer is that Oth can’t be cured and they’re too late to pick up Jen (who I’m assuming has fallen into Syr’s metaphorical hands at this point). There’s a bit of suspicion with the exile brought to Haven ending up dead. I’m guessing this was our bad guy’s doing. Like a cyanide capsule, only psychically-charged.

Ch 34
Of course Solonn volunteers to spearhead what’s probably the most dangerous part of this endeavor. Because that’s just who he is. Doesn’t take long for the element of surprise to go away and a mass Glalie rush to ensue. And already there’s a casualty in Zereth! Not exactly heartbroken, because he’d only really come aboard during this whole exile arc and was mostly just a guard of sorts. Very tense moments there with Solonn getting poisoned and barely getting a berry down in time, and then that’s immediately topped by the ending, where I’m assuming the big psychic force decided to make its presence known.

Ch 35
So, there was some mental trickery. My visualization’s failing me, here. I can’t say a Mega Glalie was responsible because this story predates Mega Evolution when it was conceived, right? And it looks like the crazy blast took some of the folks Solonn encountered down. Again, didn’t really have too much emotional oomph for me, other than the fact that everything seems to go wrong around Solonn but somehow he keeps staying alive. Apparently Sathir and her mate are actually the ones masterminding this whole thing, then? Guess my theory was way off. Curses! But, hey, we have a ceasefire and an agreement. So that’s something, right? The enemies seem relatively defiant, but give in given the psychic presences in the room. Which is pretty believable, if you ask me. Back to Convergence though, and I’m assuming the point where things start to tie into The Origin of Storms.

Ch 36
I did not realize Convergence ended up becoming the only functioning city following this extinction. But that makes perfect sense. And up, here’s the tie-in with the Hope Institute. So, this is what brought Solonn to it. I’m curious about Adn at this point, since it seemed like he had an effect on Essax in some way. And, from what it looks like, Solonn’s speech ability (which kind of faded into the background upon return to Shoal Cave) is the same thing Team Rocket’s Meowth has. I guess that’s a perfect way to explain it.

Ch 37
And here we have the scene with Essax and Jen showing up at Hope for the first time. Aka, when everything starts to go belly-up in the other story. It’s very cool to see this from Solonn’s POV. Namely because there’s a much different set of circumstances behind what’s going on here. And it’s so funny seeing Cain’s tidbit with his puppets juxtaposed over what is essentially a doubly-tense situation. Tense for Solonn trying to reconnect with Jen. And tense in that, having read the sister story, I know what’s coming, and I don’t like it. And at this, I realize exactly why Jen is not a fan of Glalie. He still thinks they’re his kidnappers. Dang, that’s a bit of a gut punch.

Ch 38
Now we have Xenomorphkwazai!Essax’s rampage from the other side of things. Suddenly, they’re not just mooks to me anymore. Clever. Very clever. And at the same time, knowing the place Essax is imprisoned in is the exact same one Jal’tai used to screw up Solonn’s mind makes it all the more frightening. All this hindsight adds quite a bit to the scene. As does Solonn’s thoughts on DeLeo’s tale about kwazai. Makes perfect sense why he ended up attacking the guy. And it really does reveal the encounter with Syr and company was a giant misunderstand. Poor Moriel was just trying to get the cops. Jeez, I had no idea. The ending stuff mostly reads the same, but they’re peppered with Solonn’s thoughts to make his disgust at everything perfectly clear.

Ch 39
So, we have a sudden shift over to Jen’s perspective. And tricky Adn is back. I still don’t trust the guy, especially if he’s employing something involving a potent toxin. But there’s an evolution into a fakemon in order to avoid evolving into a Glalie. Jeez, Jen must’ve been traumatized pretty badly. Sure enough, Adn is actually a Ditto. Okay, I was still expecting Jal’tai for some reason, but Ditto works too. He immediately goes on the attack too. I guess Jen shares misfortune with his half-brother.

Ch 40
Okay, as if to hammer that we’re into The Origin of Storms territory, this battle is significantly more frightening than the ones we’ve seen so far. Especially with the Ditto melting and reforming. Lots of explosions happening everywhere. And the sudden, out-of-nowhere revelation that Ren is somehow alive. Which I knew already, but this wasn’t how I was expecting it to happen.

Ch 41
Lots of things flying by, tough to make heads or tails of it for me, personally. We have a glimpse at Ren’s team (I guess he was a gym leader or something). Grosh and Oth managed to survive (finally, something good goes Solonn’s way) but it looks like Alij was lost in the process of all of this. So, why does Solonn remember Ren’s secret hideaway. Oh man, this is the other memory that was hidden away that Sei detected, isn’t it?

Ch 42
So, Solonn never had a gift of any sort. It was all science! Nanomachines, son, I swear. Are you related to Kojima, by any chance? I’m joking, I’m joking. So, all of Solonn’s nightmarish adventures were basically the result of these experiments. After all the struggles, however, Solonn’s rid of the nanomachines that led to all of this disastrous stuff. And, though Jen’s memories cannot be restored, in the end he’s with Solonn and Grosh. That, and he seems pretty attached to Syr by this point. So, in a manner of speaking, we’ve got one convoluted family.[/SPOIL]

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Ambyssin:

This is a very broad, sweeping narrative that you’ve got going on here. I say that in the sense of this feels like several different self-contained stories kind of strung together with Solonn being the single thread that unifies all of them.

Aye. Iirc I once referred to it as a "pseudo-anthology" on some forum or another. I think that's still a fairly accurate way of putting it.

I feel like there are a few plot points that got hung out to dry (see chapter thoughts below, but I had a strange suspicion that a certain Latios was going to factor into the later story, only for him to not).

Good ol' Jal'tai. If there's one thing I've figured out about him over the years, it's that he has a tendency to come across as THE antagonist where the whole story's concerned when in reality he's merely an arc villain. Deceiving people into expecting him to be a bigger deal than he is seems to be his talent (which is kind of amusing given that he initially led Solonn to believe he was a smaller deal than he is XD). Deceiving readers, and incredibly invasive psychic surgery. I wonder if he ever combined the two.

That said, the various Glalie that end up accompanying Solonn as the fic hits its later chapters all blurred together and there were pretty frequent moments where I couldn’t tell any of them apart, if I’m honest.

Yeah, most of them were never really intended to have much in the way of actual characterization (though they could certainly gain some!). Mostly they're in the picture because I figured they would be.

Out of curiosity, what’s the inspiration for the Glalies’ names. I feel like there are bits of certain languages mixed in, but I can’t tell which ones.

They're pretty much just pulled out of the air for the most part, or at least the first several were. Later ones might've been patterned after those. Kashisha, meanwhile, was named after a nonsense (?) word I'd trained one of my (since departed) cats to hiss at years and years and years ago. And Ryneika was named by a friend.

But yeah, any resemblance to any real world names/words is sheer coincidence.

So, this is interesting. A glimpse into the mind of captured Pokémon, so to speak. There’s less of an enthusiasm here, and more of a resigned acceptance of their current situation. Which is a bit unsettling, but probably makes sense from the Pokémon’s point of view.

Or from his, at least! Idk, I'd just figured that being what he is (basically a kid from a part of the world so remote that a lot of its inhabitants don't even believe humans exist) had a lot to do with the way he reacted. In a nation closer to human settlement, he might've actually sought a trainer. As it stood, this was basically the equivalent of being kidnapped by a bogeyman or some such.

The evolution scene was interesting, because there was much more of a psychologic aspect to it before the actual physical changes kicked in.

Well, it is a hefty load of changes to be staring down! I definitely wanted to get into that aspect of evolution.

You write a good creepy Sableye, by the way. Xi seemed like a total fruit loop.

I effin' LOVED writing Xi. :D He's definitely one of those I'd have liked to have had more opportunities to work with. He's rather like Jal'tai that way.

That’s a take on Unown I haven’t seen before, though it speaks to that theory they have a much greater power that we don’t know of (and the games never see fit to address).

Unown are weird and i love them for it. I still hold out hope that some future gen will bring more.

But poor Solonn, his whole life’s defined by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some folks are windshields. Some are flies. Solonn assuredly falls into the latter category more often than not. :p

It’s so strange reading this chapter because, like, it’s really basic stuff that I do in my everyday life and seeing it explained out isn’t very interesting. But Jal’tai’s (over)enthusiasm gives it such an oddly creepy vibe.

Fun fact: that chapter was actually super hard to write specifically because of all the mundane elements. XD (That, and coinciding with one of those "maybe I actually suck at this" phases that hits from time to time hfhdsf.) I think Jal'tai's little "how to walk/use toilet/eat corn flakes" lessons--specifically the tone he gave them--was one of the things that actually made it enjoyable enough for me to get through. :D

Also, that “Bwaaa!” when he wakes up made me think of Hank Hill.

Solonn would've been a 400% better character if he'd sounded like Hank Hill by default. I mean yeah, he could've made himself sound that way (at least prior to the last chapter :B), but that's not really the same. If he'd just naturally spoken like that to begin with, that would've been magical. :D

On the other hand, I’m again quite surprised that Solonn reverted to being a Glalie. Wonder if that has something to do with Jal’tai severing that psychic connection he had.

Yep, that's exactly what happened.

That dream sequence at the end was particularly heartbreaking. Dang it, Sike, why you play with my feelings like this? *sniffle*

BECAUSE I CAN CAN CAN! 8D

At least I finally get a look at Grosh. And it turns out he’s actually a kind soul, but circumstances made things extremely difficult for him and Azvida. Makes me glad I didn’t dismiss him as nasty back in the first chapter.

THE DEADBEAT DAD RUSE WAS A...........

DISTACTION

Despite his skepticism, Zilag’s a true friend after all! I must say that for all the depressing stuff that happens, it’s amazing that these relationships Solonn makes on his journeyman voyage endure all the crazy stuff that gets thrown at him. And it’s done so believably, too.

Glad to hear it! I figured that reaslitically most folks would've had some level of doubt in the face of Solonn's claims, even wrt someone in Zilag's position. I sure as heck didn't want everyone just instantly, thoroughly believing/agreeing with him.

Although I don’t blame Solonn for flashing back to his treatment under Jal’tai. I’m surprised he didn’t develop a rabid fear of psychics after Sei freed up the parts of his mind.

He certainly could've. I think one of the few things that stood in the way of that was that underlying current of guilt that sometimes popped up if he caught himself painting all psychics with the ol' suspicion-brush. Which, incidentally, Sei was also largely responsible for, if not altogether intentionally.

We also get the reveal that Sanaika’s leading the exiles. If I’m not misremembering, he was involved in one of Solonn’s early “excursions” as a Snorunt. Possibly the one that led to him getting caught by Morgan?

Yep!

The Dugtrio was a pretty funny moment in what’s otherwise been a rather dour fic.

They were so fun to write. :D

I see you’ve given us another fakemon. The only thing that comes to mind with it, are the spectral horses that pull the Lightning Chariot in Kid Icarus Uprising. Other than that, I’ve got nothing. :V

They're largely based on these, complete with blue shiny form. :D

The mystery of Oth’s teleportation failure continues to intrigue. I’m envisioning it like someone exerted the effects of a Move Deleter on them.

Yep, precisely!

So, there was some mental trickery. My visualization’s failing me, here. I can’t say a Mega Glalie was responsible because this story predates Mega Evolution when it was conceived, right?

Aye. In fact several chapters, a decent portion of the plot outline, and most of the concepts predate 4th gen, even. This thing's a bit of a geezer. :B

I did not realize Convergence ended up becoming the only functioning city following this extinction.

Well, it's one of them. Most cities have probably either been reclaimed by nature or else remade by pokémon with rather different architectural tastes. Some human-made structures outside of Convergence are maintained specifically as memorial sites of sorts.

And at this, I realize exactly why Jen is not a fan of Glalie. He still thinks they’re his kidnappers. Dang, that’s a bit of a gut punch.

I love putting in stuff like that. :D

Now we have Xenomorphkwazai!Essax’s rampage from the other side of things. Suddenly, they’re not just mooks to me anymore. Clever. Very clever.

POVquels can be a pain to write, in that there's a lot that has to be kept congruent between the two stories. But they're also fun in that they can cause things like that to happen. :D

We have a glimpse at Ren’s team (I guess he was a gym leader or something).

He sure was!

So, why does Solonn remember Ren’s secret hideaway. Oh man, this is the other memory that was hidden away that Sei detected, isn’t it?

Yeparoni and cheese!

So, Solonn never had a gift of any sort. It was all science! Nanomachines, son, I swear. Are you related to Kojima, by any chance? I’m joking, I’m joking.

I legit laughed. XD I love it.

Thanks very much for the read 'n' reply! It's always fun to see a chapter-by-chapter breakdown like this (and, as I've discovered, they're fun to write, too!). :D

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
I've been meaning to actually review this for a looong time now. Like *squints at post dates* oh God, almost three years now. It's crazy that I never left feedback on this after waaaay way back in the original thread. But I've got the time and the energy now, so... let's fix that!

The story breaks down pretty nicely into bite-sized arcs, so let's take a look at them...

Virc-Dho (Chapters 1 & 2)

It's fun coming back to look at this opening knowing that Grosh is a steelix. For some reason in my head I'd had it that Jal'tai was somehow Solonn's dad, and Solonn had gotten his communication ability from him. Total failure to remember or a theory I'd had for that old, old version that never got far enough to confirm or deny it? No idea. One way or another, way to be a jerk, Grosh.

One thing I really like about the opening part of the story is the real sense of physicality the snorunt have, how sort of ridiculous their anatomy is. Like Solonn's first act in life being to fall over and roll around on his cone-head, unable to get up. Snorunt look so top-heavy, I just have to imagine them doing that all the time. Or the glalie picking snorunt up by the tops of their head to carry them around, or snorunt drilling their way out of their eggs.

Also, I don't know if I've ever said it, but I love how you name pokémon and pokémon-related things. The glalie's names sound different than names like Oth, Sei, or Sophie, while at the same time sounding right for big toothy balls of ice. Likewise "Zyzir" just sounds like a perfect zubat name.

These chapters are mostly introduction, giving a nice sense of the relatively peaceful life Solonn had as a snorunt, outside the occasional bully or childhood escapade. Of course, there's also Solonn's mysterious abduction and the emergence of his Speech abilities, but iirc we don't learn more about that until much later. It's cool that the story brings questions about how pokémon manage to live in their native societies right to the forefront with Solonn's uneasiness towards glalie's need to consume other pokémon to survive. You kind of dive right into a lot of difficult worldbuilding questions in this story, and it's really cool to see this fic going places that most kind of handwave in the interest of focusing on whatever the primary plot is. But these are some of the most fascinating questions in the franchise, imo, so I'm definitely here for fics that try to get messy with them.

Lilycove (Chapters 3-8)

Annnnd here the difficult questions continue with the introduction of Morgan and the whole human/pokémon relationship (specifically the trainer relationship). I like how all of Solonn's assumptions about Morgan, which would be classic behavior for someone who approached training the way most people do in the video games, turns out to be wrong, though as other characters point out later on, he's lucky he got the trainer he did... It's also, of course, Solonn's Speech ability that ultimately allows he and Morgan to resolve the issue and move forward as a team. Really emphasizes how difficult it is for an ordinary pokémon that doesn't have those abilities to work with a human. Like, such a pokémon could probably still have gotten across that it didn't want to do contests, and Morgan would presumably have been okay with that, but they wouldn't actually have been able to negotiate as such or hit upon the agreement Solonn worked out with which worked out best for both of them.

I am kind of surprised that Morgan didn't just try to sell Solonn on the contest idea before catching him, since if he isn't interested, it's a lot less work to simply move on and look for a new snorunt in the cave than to have him already captured and in Lilycove and have to go all the way back to the cave to release him. I guess her other pokémon have all kind of agreed with what she wants to do, so she wouldn't really have considered rejection a possibility, but it seems like asking before the capture would work out best for everyone.

Ultimately we never really see anything but a positive spin on training in this 'fic, even considering somebody like Daron. Daron might not be the most scrupulous guy, but he seems to get on quite well with his pokémon, and you get the sense that he'd be as cheerful about kidnapping a human as he would a pokémon--it's not that he thinks of pokémon as lesser, he's just looking to make a buck. (Also, Xi is a delight.) So it does kind of make, for example, Jal'tai's disdain for humans rather theoretical because, like Solonn, we only meet nice ones.

Returning to names, I also think it's pretty great that Morgan's nicknames are somewhat terrible. "Enchantress" would just be such a mouthful to use all the time (same with "Ominous"), and it's just kinda over-the-top, heh. Or Azrael. So melodramatic!

One thing I might have liked to see a bit more is Solonn's interactions with the other pokémon on Morgan's team. You don't want to drag things out, and ultimately most of them are extremely minor players in the story as a whole. It is strange, though, when they get stolen, and Solonn's mourning over his lost friends... but we never really got to see them be friends. Most of Morgan's mons apparently spent the majority of their time in their balls, and Solonn seemed like he was pretty much doing his own thing throughout. So the personal nature of his worry for Morgan's team fell a little flat for me, even though of course anyone would be worried in general about their teammates vanishing.

It also would have been nice to see Solonn exploring the human world a little more, although I guess that's not really in his nature. It seems like he spent quite a bit of time in Morgan's backyard! The way you describe the routines he was working on was lovely, though. Your descriptions of what he forms out of snow and ice really does make his displays sound beautiful, and the way you talk about his connection with his element and the experience of working with ice is very evocative. It makes it all the more painful when he ultimately loses that connection, because we really had a chance to see how meaningful it was for him.

Convergence: Trapped (Chapters 9-15)

Of course Convergence is a setting we've seen plenty of over the course of your various stories, but it's always been a really neat place, and it's too bad that Solonn's condition in these chapters means he isn't very interested in all the cool stuff the place has. Even as it is, the details that we get about e.g. the unown script combined with more traditional pokéworld elements like teleportation tiles and advanced communication devices.

The transformation to human here is still great, with "Good gods, they keep that out?" remaining a fantastic line. There are so many stories about humans turning into pokémon, but it's so rare to see the reverse, even though it has just as much fun potential. And Solonn reacts just about how you'd expect for someone who's been stripped of his own body and told that his future has been planned for him and has absolutely no say in the matter.

I love how much of a human nerd Jal'tai is. Like, he clearly has a great deal of resentment for humans themselves, but he clearly loves their stuff. Him proudly showing off the entertainment system and the special wardrobe he's prepared (how long did you spend picking out all the perfect outfits? Neeeeeerd) while Solonn's trailing along all like "idgaf" is super cute. While Jal'tai is obviously a manipulative scumbag, I think to some extent he may kind of envy Solonn, and wish he could be properly human himself... Perhaps some of his general dismay and anger at Solonn's otherwise 100% predictable reaction is as a result of frustration over the fact that Solonn gets this AMAZING OPPORTUNITY and then TOTALLY DOESN'T APPRECIATE IT. Like, who wouldn't want to try out being human? You want to wear all the pretty clothes yourself, don't you, Jal'tai?

I also liked the little detail that Solonn's used to wearing clothes because glalie are usually coated in ice anyway. With pokémon I at least kind of tend to think of whatever we see of them as being "their body," unless it's obviously modelled on human clothing, but it makes more sense that the ice on a glalie is just an outer covering and we don't actually see most of their anatomy/the outer surface of their body. Also a neat detail was Solonn's flash-freezing his steak before eating it; it makes sense that glalie would need their food to be frozen, but again it's something that would be so easy to overlook and just makes things seem more real when you have it in there.

I think this section is probably my favorite of the earlyish parts of the 'fic. I think it plays to your strengths as a writer, as well as your interests, with the brutal transformation, all the neat worldbuilding, and the introduction of a character as complex but hateable as Jal'tai. There's just so much going on! Also, unrelated to anything else, I really love the stinger at the end of the chapter where Solonn escapes from the theater, where Morgan comes home to find him gone, while "Morgan" has spent all this time talking about how all her mons had been stolen. I remember the first time I read this going, "Wait, wat???" and being completely floored but also intrigued about what was going on.

Convergence: Brainwashed (Chapters 16-20)

I love how Jal'tai's edited version of Solonn's memories are basically what he should have done if he were a decent (or even, like, reasonable) person. Actually trusting Solonn with knowledge instead of deceiving him from the very start? Actually presenting him with options instead of immediately forcing him to do what you want? Whoever could have predicted that that would work out well?? In a more reflective person, this could totally be the catalyst for an important realization and personal growth, but of course Jal'tai doesn't even consider it. What did we learn, Jal'tai? Hmmm? Hmmmm?

It's a bit creepy and also a bit sad how Jal'tai behaves towards Solonn after the whole memory restructuring thing--basically like a parent, even though Solonn would at that point have been fine preparing to be mayor without anyone breathing down his neck. They become close friends, but of course it's all bulit on false pretenses. You get the sense that Jal'tai doesn't really understand how to relate to people without manipulating them, and that he must be quite lonely, lying to everyone. Solonn certainly doesn't know everything about Jal'tai, but he knows more than, it seems, almost anybody, so he may be one of the closest things to a "true friend" that Jal'tai's got. And from what we see in that little preface on Chapter 20, Jal'tai's got even more shady things in his past, and his pattern of lying and manipulating people and generally carrying out these elaborate plans rather than engage with his actions is kind of the theme of his entire life. Like, he does obviously care a lot about human/pokémon relations, but there's also the wrinkle that Convergene is at least in part his attempt to attone for something Really Bad that he did, so even that has elements of half-truth to it. So Jal'tai's tendency towards lying and steamrolling over people and so on has probably caused him to pretty much wreck his own life, and caused him all kinds of heartache, and left him wandering and alone in his old age. You can almost feel bad for the guy, even though his life being super screwed up appears to be almost 100% his own fault.

Still a manipulative piece of ****, of course. I also love the potential suggestion that the wandering Latis you find in the games are also exiles from their society, since it appears that "go off and wander the regions" is a punishment that that society readily metes out.

what you possess is a gift; you should be honored for it, not exploited…
Ah, the irony...

Whatever else had to change, he could still keep his memories.
Oh nooooooo

I think it really is a shame that we didn't get a chance to see Solonn actually acting as mayor, except kind of briefly at the beginning of the chapter where he reverts. Again, we get to explore Convergence more in other contexts, but we never really get to see what it's like as it was "supposed to be": when there were both humans and pokémon living there together. It also leaves kind of this weird gap in Solonn's life. Presumably he learned a lot from handling that sort of responsibility, but what, exactly? Likewise, he must have made friends, maybe even enemies during his time there, but we don't hear anything about them, and Solonn never brings them up again later. For all the build-up it gets, Solonn's time as mayor is just kind of left as "that thing that happened, but we're moving on to other things now." I imagine that even the few years he was actually serving as mayor would probably provide enough material to write an entire other long chapterfic, though! But it seems like it might be more meaningful to explore than e.g. the Convergence Academy section, which is interesting enough but I think has less potential and less long-term impact than looking at Solonn's time as mayor would have.

Virc-Dho Again (Chapters 21-25)

This is where elements introduced in the beginning of the story start to come back around and reassert themselves, which is always cool. And Solonn gets a little bit of a breather, reuniting with his father and seeing his brother hatch--settling into an uneventful life as a fairly unremarkable (albeit overlarge and hybrid) glalie. Though, of course, this section involves not one but two people who were very important to him dying, so despite the respite in the middle, it really isn't all that relaxing!

I think you handled both Morgan's death and Azvida's death well in particular, although they were very different kinds of scenes. Melancholy scenes that involve characters literally fading away are pretty much certain to get me every time, and this one definitely did. The imagery of the sitrus tree with its falling blossoms was beautiful and added the perfect serene and yet sad backdrop to what was going on in Morgan's mindscape, and you did a great job of her final meeting with all her pokémon. That Solonn never got to properly see her again outside of this brief moment on the verge of her death makes it hurt all the more, though of course it's better than her simply dying passing away without ever knowing if he was okay... The classic, perfectly bittersweet way to usher a character off stage left.

On the other hand, there's the brutal attack on Virc-Dho's temple that ultimately claims Azvida's life. After a couple of quiet chapters, you really do a great job of having the attack come out of absolutely nowhere, surprising the reader probably almost as much as the glalie caught in the middle of it. You do a great job of all the frantic, brutal action; it occurred to me after reading this that this is really the first big action set piece of the story, isn't it? Ultimately, Communication doesn't really focus on action-y kinds of things, so it's a testament to your range to see a scene like this executed so nicely alongside all the more quiet moments. I like how you slip in the bit about the group that bullied Solonn having vanished... given how it's framed compared to Solonn's experiences, you pretty strongly implied that they were captured by humans... But then all these aggressive glalie come roaring back here, and it becomes clear that absolutely wasn't the case!

A thin, pale, silvery mist hung low in the air, vapors from the blood of the fallen; his stomach lurched hard at the thought that he was actually breathing it.
Glalie blood literally boiling when outside their bodies is another one of those details that I just really love, and then you totally went there in this scene with it. Love it!

And of course Grosh and Oth get blamed for the whole thing, even though a number of glalie could see the real attackers clearly. We're back to really digging into the wild pokémon societies here, and it's great to see you adding more complexity to them as time goes on. Some of Virc society Solonn probably just didn't realize earlier because he was still a snorunt, but now, being older and with what's happened to Azvida, he can see some of the close-mindedness that society has, how their isolation can make them mistrustful and at times actually blinkered. It's a nice change from "pokémon is taken from utopic wild society to dystopian abusive human one." The pokémon here have their own problems, which makes perfect sense given how you've portrayed them.

In the middle of it all, of course, Solonn gets to meet his dad, is forced to reckon with his aversion to hunting, and gains a half-brother. I would have really enjoyed seeing more of Grosh here, although of course he'll be around later, too. From the way you introduce Grosh it seems like a very different situation between him and Azvida than it actually is, and it's cute to see how he and Solonn interact now that they've finally met up. (This is another thing I'd like to see more of! Grosh and Solonn hanging out doing family stuff, without imminent danger hanging over their heads.) There's a little breather here, but the story's about to ramp up again in a big way. This is really the last bit of respite the characters get before all hell breaks loose, and continues breaking loose, isn't it? Let's get into that part!

Fugitives (Chapters 26-35)

I guess this is really two sub-arcs, the first being rescuing the snorunt and the second being the fight against the Sinaji.

I got a little confused at the part where Grosh teleported the snorunt to Haven, because the previous chapter he'd said he would teleport to get the snorunt and bring them to Haven, and then we jump directly to the Haven teleport without apparently stopping to pick up the snorunt on the way? I got a little disoriented and thought that meant the snorunt had been held at Haven for a while there, and that Haven was somehow complicit. But nope, Adn definitely had ulterior motives, but the snorunt had been picked up from somewhere else off-screen, I guess.

There's a real sense of hopelessness and danger while the group is wandering the tunnels, trying to find their way back, and the additional pressure of Oth no longer being able to warp them away from danger really sells it. You get a real sense of Shoal cave as this mess of narrow, claustrophobic passageways, with few landmarks and with the potential that you'll stumble across something hostile at any turn. Great atmosphere. It's a good thing Grosh came through to save the day!

What was up with Oth's teleport getting deleted, though? I assumed it was something Adn must have done somehow, because otherwise it strikes me as super random, but it's never actually addressed. Maybe a plot point that'll come up in Worldslayers?

And then the big battle's finally here! Again, you do a great job of the action. The battle's appropriately brutal and chaotic, but it never becomes overwhelming or confusing. You also do a good job of kind of organizing it around these neat little moments, like the golduck giving Solonn the healing items. It's all just very well done and a treat to read, and you even know how to bring it to a close before it overstays its welcome, heh.

Love the little aside about Solonn finding opaque blood weird.

Here yet again I'd love to learn more about basically all of the Wisteria 'mon. You have some very interesting characters in Valdrey and Quiul in particular, and they must have pretty dynamic lives, scraping out an existence in an abandoned human settlement. FWIW, you made what little of what we got to see of Mordial sound really pretty, with the ocean and the jungle and the mountains. I guess a lot of the regions are probably going back to taht wild, untamed state now that humans are gone. But Mordial has that sense of lonely beauty that I really dig. And, again, there seems to be so much cool stuff here! The fakemon and the abandoned cities and this whole new region to explore. Would absolutely like to see more.

One thing I was a little unclear on was how many Sinaji there were. Evidently there were some glalie that had been released into the wild after traveling with humans, there were what sounded like a handful of Rannia, and then there were the exiles from Solonn's childhood. That doesn't sound like it would make for a very large society, like maybe forty tops? But then through all the fighting it seemed like there must have been many more than that, to have held off all the pokémon on Solonn's side.

Are the Rannia some kind of glalie variant or an entirely different evolution? They almost sound like a different evolution, a form that's now dying out and being replaced by the "modern" glalie.

Back to Convergence (Chapters 36-42)

And here we meet up with The Origin of Storms at last! It's fun to see the events from that story playing out from Solonn's perspective, since he was initially introduced as something of a villain in that 'fic. The action from the previous arc continues here, and we get some satisfying city-destroying (and house-destroying) fights to cap things off.

The title of this story is Communication, but I almost think that a theme it tackles more deeply is consent. A lot of the conflict in the story arises out of people doing unto others without their agreement and often without their knowledge, treating them like tools they can extract value from instead of people to be respected. It's there straight from when Morgan abducts Solonn from his home through Jal'tai's deception and forced transformation through all kinds of shady psychic ****... In a sense I suppose that's all about communication, too, since if these people actually talked to each other maybe they wouldn't feel the need to be so coercive. In any case, it's powerful to see it coming up again here, where ultimately DeLeo's treatment of Esaax, even in the interest of reviving an entire species, potentially people that Solonn loves, is what ultimately breaks Solonn out of his desperate hope to realize that he can't support someone who would do that kind of thing in pursuit of their goals. And then, of course you have pokémon like Evane for whom, well... maybe it would be worth it. Maybe one person suffering is worth it when the benefits are so great. And it's so hard to blame her for thinking like that.

“Okay,” Cain said in the quietest voice he could muster, “okay.” After casting another furtive glance into the audience, “…Do you think I could get away with cutting the puppets from the program?”
Oh, Cain and his puppets. The children are never going to let you give them up, Cain. Never.

Solonn knew for a fact that he’d never commissioned a statue of his human self, alongside one of Jal’tai’s mirage and another of a porygon2, during his time as mayor.
Heh, I can't remember if he's ever told the others that he was Convergence's mayor for a time. Is he ever going to bring that up, or is he always just going to fast-float past it pretending to totally not notice the memorial to himself someone cast in bronze? XD

“The nanites didn’t take,” Ren went on.
Release the nanobots!

I am a bit curious why Ren chose a young, wild snorunt of all things for his language experiment. It seems like they would be hard to find and not necessarily the best suited to that kind of surgery? I'm guessing Ren would have needed a young pokémon because its brain would be more plastic, but why go out looking for one in the wild, and all the way out to Shoal Cave at that?

Based on the little Jal'tai interlude waaaay back, I wonder whether he had anything to do with Ren "getting in the tube," as it were. Since it sounded like he was . But of course, his plan could have been something completely different and/or failed entirely! I'm also wondering where Ren is actually from? Evidently he was living in Convergence for a while, since he had that lab long before Solonn was ever mayor, but of course he can't have been from there originally, unless the city's much older than I got the impression it was. I thought he might have been a gym leader at one point?

It's lovely to see Solonn get some closure on one of the stranger and more frightening aspects of his life. And, ultimately, despite everything, he and his slightly-weird family are together and at least physically okay, with the exception of his mother. It's a nice, hopeful sort of ending, with the feeling that maybe everybody can be okay now. Despite everything, you get the sense that they may be able to move on and heal from all this craziness. That's another thing that I really like about this story: a lot of bad things happen to the characters. Often the characters do terrible things to each other. And yet they're able to forgive each other for their mistakes and move on. Solonn can forgive Grosh for not being there in his childhood. He can forgive Ren for experimenting on him all those years ago. And because of that forgiveness, there's the sense that they might be able to move forward and actually become close friends/family and have their lives enriched by each other. The 'fic gets quite dark at times, but ultimately it has this really positive message.

Of course, we now have The Worldslayers, so we know that Solonn and company aren't really getting that much of a break and there's no doubt more heartache to come. Sorry, guys. But for someone who hasn't read that yet, it's a nice, hopeful ending! XD

So, the fic as a whole, then. It's already been commented on that the story arcs can feel a bit disconnected from each other, which is true, but in a way I think it's kind of nice... It makes the story feel a bit more like Solonn's life than a story about Solonn, in a sense. Life doesn't have a neat central plot thread that you can follow, not everything gets resolved, and the characters that come and go from it have their own life stories that dictate how they behave, rather than acting in service of the protagonist's narrative. It gives the story a very open-ended feel, like you could spend your whole life, if you wanted, digging deeper into it, telling new tales to flesh it out further or to take a deeper look at some of its characters. I don't know what your plans are after The Worldslayers, if any, but if you have any intent of revisiting this world or the characters in it, I'll always be interested to see it.

I guess if there's anything I would say about this story it's that it leaves me wanting more. More about Solonn's time as mayor, more about Convergence itself, more about the Rannia, more about Jal'tai... which I think is a testamet to how interesting a world and characters you've put together here! It also makes Communication feel to me almost like a "backbone" sort of story from which you can spin off any number of other stories if you want to. In a way it does kind of seem to function that way: OoS came first, but is basically encompassed by Communication, so it feels almost like an expansion, and The Worldslayers of course builds on the foundation laid down here. As I mentioned earlier, I think you could write an entire other story just on Solonn's time as mayor, and that's true of a lot of other arcs in the story. It feels like we get kind of tantalizing glimpses at a bunch of different things, but in the interest of keeping things moving along, we don't get to spend a great deal of time fleshing them out. So in some ways that's a negative, I guess, but if one of the primary complaints about a story is that there isn't enough of it yet, I think that's at least a relatively nice problem to have. No worries about whether you're interesting or exciting your audience!

I also mentioned a couple times, I think, that this story really demonstrates the range you command as a writer, since it has so many different elements, from big action pieces to quiet character moments to pure worldbuilding, drama, and humor. It's definitely a different kind of story than OoS or what Worldslayers is shaping up to be, and that's pretty cool. You are able to work with a lot of different ideas, and although some elements appear in pretty much all your works (dem horrifying involuntary transformations, not that I'm complaining), you aren't at all limited to any particular kind of story. I love seeing people experiment and explore different kinds of stories rather than sticking to a single formula or way of storytelling.

I think that your stories would be great candidates for their own wiki, if you had any interest in creating one. Of course it would give you a place to put information about your fakemon, but it would also let you kind of collect info on the world and the characters all in one place, which I think might be helpful for readers. I definitely came across multiple places where I thought I remembered something but wasn't sure if it was in OoS or Worldslayers or a side one-shot or if I'd just made it up entirely, and it would have been nice to have some way to reference that sort of thing without having to trawl multiple fic threads.

And this is probably one of the most ambitious stories in the depth that it goes into with the pokémon POV. You not only look at how pokémon live in their own societies, but also how they relate to humans, and consider what a real equal, integrated pokémon and human society would look like. Things are often far from perfect, but you get that across without demonizing either side: humans can be monstrous to pokémon, but pokémon are often monstrous to pokémon as well, and on both sides there are good people trying to find a way to bridge the gap and work together in a fair and responsible way. It feels like good poké-POV stories are even harder to find today than they once were (I probably haven't been looking in the right places!), and it's so nice to have one that does so much with the POV but also tells a nice story and doesn't get bogged down in the worldbuilding details.

I think I said it before, but I definitely can't say it enough: huge congratulations on finishing this 'fic and also managing to continue on with The Worldslayers. It was so awesome to see you return with a final draft after working on this for so many years, and I hope that you find joy in your writing for many years to come. This story is definitely something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing it, and all your other stories, with us.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Negrek:
It's cool that the story brings questions about how pokémon manage to live in their native societies right to the forefront with Solonn's uneasiness towards glalie's need to consume other pokémon to survive. You kind of dive right into a lot of difficult worldbuilding questions in this story, and it's really cool to see this fic going places that most kind of handwave in the interest of focusing on whatever the primary plot is. But these are some of the most fascinating questions in the franchise, imo, so I'm definitely here for fics that try to get messy with them.

The carnivore confusion and whatnot are absolutely some of the most interesting aspects of Pokémon, and also some of the most fun to play with. :D

I am kind of surprised that Morgan didn't just try to sell Solonn on the contest idea before catching him, since if he isn't interested, it's a lot less work to simply move on and look for a new snorunt in the cave than to have him already captured and in Lilycove and have to go all the way back to the cave to release him. I guess her other pokémon have all kind of agreed with what she wants to do, so she wouldn't really have considered rejection a possibility, but it seems like asking before the capture would work out best for everyone.

This is exactly what was going through her head at the time.

(Also, Xi is a delight.)

Xi is to this day one of my favorites among my characters, along with the likes of Karo and Zilag. :D

Returning to names, I also think it's pretty great that Morgan's nicknames are somewhat terrible. "Enchantress" would just be such a mouthful to use all the time (same with "Ominous"), and it's just kinda over-the-top, heh. Or Azrael. So melodramatic!

I think major dorkiness on some level or another is part and parcel of one's teenage years. (God knows it was for mine. XP) Or at least a very real risk of being at that point in one's life. This is one of the ways it manifested in her case.

Your descriptions of what he forms out of snow and ice really does make his displays sound beautiful, and the way you talk about his connection with his element and the experience of working with ice is very evocative. It makes it all the more painful when he ultimately loses that connection, because we really had a chance to see how meaningful it was for him.

Very much intentional; I'm glad it came across. :D I definitely made an effort with this version to make the nature of that loss clear, partly because some folks seemed to think Solonn was being pointlessly "emo" in the previous version. Icemongering was something spiritual for him, as well as something of an addiction, and that was a big part of why he reacted to becoming human the way he did (along with having been lied to, having major decisions made for him without consulting him first, suddenly being at the mercy of a very powerful creature, etc.).

I love how much of a human nerd Jal'tai is. Like, he clearly has a great deal of resentment for humans themselves, but he clearly loves their stuff. Him proudly showing off the entertainment system and the special wardrobe he's prepared (how long did you spend picking out all the perfect outfits? Neeeeeerd) while Solonn's trailing along all like "idgaf" is super cute.

Another thing I'm glad came across! Jal'tai was absolutely a fanboy for humanity on some level or another. That fascination has actually factored into some of the trouble he got himself into in the distant past.

Also, unrelated to anything else, I really love the stinger at the end of the chapter where Solonn escapes from the theater, where Morgan comes home to find him gone, while "Morgan" has spent all this time talking about how all her mons had been stolen. I remember the first time I read this going, "Wait, wat???" and being completely floored but also intrigued about what was going on.

I remember being really, really proud of that bit (in sort of a >:D way) when I first wrote it. Nice to know it apparently still works. :D

Melancholy scenes that involve characters literally fading away are pretty much certain to get me every time, and this one definitely did. The imagery of the sitrus tree with its falling blossoms was beautiful and added the perfect serene and yet sad backdrop to what was going on in Morgan's mindscape, and you did a great job of her final meeting with all her pokémon. That Solonn never got to properly see her again outside of this brief moment on the verge of her death makes it hurt all the more, though of course it's better than her simply dying passing away without ever knowing if he was okay... The classic, perfectly bittersweet way to usher a character off stage left.

This was another bit I remember being proud of. I'm glad to see others enjoying it, too.

Glalie blood literally boiling when outside their bodies is another one of those details that I just really love, and then you totally went there in this scene with it. Love it!

I have enjoyed the actual heck--possibly even hell--out of playing with weird ice monster biology and finding creepy ways to apply it. :D

We're back to really digging into the wild pokémon societies here, and it's great to see you adding more complexity to them as time goes on. Some of Virc society Solonn probably just didn't realize earlier because he was still a snorunt, but now, being older and with what's happened to Azvida, he can see some of the close-mindedness that society has, how their isolation can make them mistrustful and at times actually blinkered. It's a nice change from "pokémon is taken from utopic wild society to dystopian abusive human one." The pokémon here have their own problems, which makes perfect sense given how you've portrayed them.

I figured that where there are people, any kind of people, there are bound to be bastards. Get enough cooks in the kitchen and something WILL burn from time to time. I guess my line of thinking was that it'd be too unrealistic if pokémon were exempt from that.

I got a little confused at the part where Grosh teleported the snorunt to Haven, because the previous chapter he'd said he would teleport to get the snorunt and bring them to Haven, and then we jump directly to the Haven teleport without apparently stopping to pick up the snorunt on the way? I got a little disoriented and thought that meant the snorunt had been held at Haven for a while there, and that Haven was somehow complicit.

Sweet. :D I think I intended this bit to be disorienting on some level. It just seemed appropriate, with so much teleporting going on.

What was up with Oth's teleport getting deleted, though? I assumed it was something Adn must have done somehow, because otherwise it strikes me as super random, but it's never actually addressed.

Yep! Adn/Anomaly move-deleted them.

And then the big battle's finally here! Again, you do a great job of the action. The battle's appropriately brutal and chaotic, but it never becomes overwhelming or confusing. You also do a good job of kind of organizing it around these neat little moments, like the golduck giving Solonn the healing items. It's all just very well done and a treat to read, and you even know how to bring it to a close before it overstays its welcome, heh.

So, so happy to hear it. Happy, and relieved for sure. Action's one of the things I'd been most insecure about writing; I had very little faith in my ability to pull it off. I think with regards to the whole "moments" thing, I think I had immersion in mind. Like, if you were actually in a fight like that, that's how you'd experience it: just the things that are immediate to you for the most part. You wouldn't get a play-by-play of literally every single thing happening in the fight--under most circumstances, you couldn't--and I suppose that's for the better since, yeah, it'd probably be pretty cluttered if I'd tried to write that way. So cluttered I'm not sure I could have wrangled it well enough to finish it, heh.

Love the little aside about Solonn finding opaque blood weird.

I just love doing xenofic so much. 8D

Are the Rannia some kind of glalie variant or an entirely different evolution? They almost sound like a different evolution, a form that's now dying out and being replaced by the "modern" glalie.

Rannia are variants. They're hybrids, sort of, a bit like Solonn is, but with thorny tree nymph things in the mix rather than giant metal snake things.

In any case, it's powerful to see it coming up again here, where ultimately DeLeo's treatment of Esaax, even in the interest of reviving an entire species, potentially people that Solonn loves, is what ultimately breaks Solonn out of his desperate hope to realize that he can't support someone who would do that kind of thing in pursuit of their goals. And then, of course you have pokémon like Evane for whom, well... maybe it would be worth it. Maybe one person suffering is worth it when the benefits are so great. And it's so hard to blame her for thinking like that.

I definitely wanted to approach the matter from more than one angle, because. Well. There would be more than one way of looking at it. It wouldn't be as cut and dry as "all the good people see it this way; all the bad people see it that way".

Heh, I can't remember if he's ever told the others that he was Convergence's mayor for a time. Is he ever going to bring that up, or is he always just going to fast-float past it pretending to totally not notice the memorial to himself someone cast in bronze? XD

He never breathed a word of it to these guys--possibly not even to Oth and Grosh--and he would really, really rather not get into it if he doesn't have to.

I am a bit curious why Ren chose a young, wild snorunt of all things for his language experiment. It seems like they would be hard to find and not necessarily the best suited to that kind of surgery? I'm guessing Ren would have needed a young pokémon because its brain would be more plastic, but why go out looking for one in the wild, and all the way out to Shoal Cave at that?

Mainly he was thinking the devices would enjoy the super-low temperatures a snorunt host would provide. (I kind of get the feeling that if Solonn had been made human and then changed back by something less than Sekret Arcane Dragon Magic then the nanites wouldn't have survived the shift to an environment hundreds of degrees warmer particularly well.) Wrt acquiring a wild one: I think part of him was thinking no, I really don't need to be asking to borrow anybody's snorunt for this and part of the rest might simply have been in a nostalgic mood and wanted to go out and catch him a pokémon again. :B

I'm also wondering where Ren is actually from? Evidently he was living in Convergence for a while, since he had that lab long before Solonn was ever mayor, but of course he can't have been from there originally, unless the city's much older than I got the impression it was. I thought he might have been a gym leader at one point?

Ren's from Kalos. He's frelled around various regions over the years. I think he finally settled in Convergence simply because he thought it was a neat idea. I suspect quite a few things he's done have been motivated by thinking it was a neat/intriguing idea.

So, the fic as a whole, then. It's already been commented on that the story arcs can feel a bit disconnected from each other, which is true, but in a way I think it's kind of nice... It makes the story feel a bit more like Solonn's life than a story about Solonn, in a sense. Life doesn't have a neat central plot thread that you can follow, not everything gets resolved, and the characters that come and go from it have their own life stories that dictate how they behave, rather than acting in service of the protagonist's narrative.

I think this might well be the first time I've seen anyone look at this story and its weirdass structure this way. I don't even think I've ever looked at it this way. It's... reassuring, I suppose, to be able to think that hey, maybe this thing isn't so fundamentally flawed, at least not wrt to the way it's put together. Maybe just... unorthodox? Idk. I guess ultimately it really is a matter of perspective, and there's no single right way to think of it. Neither I nor anyone else is obligated to decide it's definitely, thoroughly one way or another. It's easy to forget that, I guess. Easy to forget that hey, maybe I actually don't necessarily have to pass any sort of Ultimate Final Judgment on this silly old thing. XD;

It gives the story a very open-ended feel, like you could spend your whole life, if you wanted, digging deeper into it, telling new tales to flesh it out further or to take a deeper look at some of its characters. I don't know what your plans are after The Worldslayers, if any, but if you have any intent of revisiting this world or the characters in it, I'll always be interested to see it.

I guess if there's anything I would say about this story it's that it leaves me wanting more. More about Solonn's time as mayor, more about Convergence itself, more about the Rannia, more about Jal'tai... which I think is a testamet to how interesting a world and characters you've put together here! It also makes Communication feel to me almost like a "backbone" sort of story from which you can spin off any number of other stories if you want to. In a way it does kind of seem to function that way: OoS came first, but is basically encompassed by Communication, so it feels almost like an expansion, and The Worldslayers of course builds on the foundation laid down here. As I mentioned earlier, I think you could write an entire other story just on Solonn's time as mayor, and that's true of a lot of other arcs in the story. It feels like we get kind of tantalizing glimpses at a bunch of different things, but in the interest of keeping things moving along, we don't get to spend a great deal of time fleshing them out. So in some ways that's a negative, I guess, but if one of the primary complaints about a story is that there isn't enough of it yet, I think that's at least a relatively nice problem to have. No worries about whether you're interesting or exciting your audience!

Now that I'm sittign here really thinking about it, I guess it might've been inevitable that it'd turn out that way? Because like... I'm thinking about all the stories/franchises that've actually inspired me enough to write about them... and a lot of them are heavy on the gaps. Heavy on the things left unsaid. Heavy on space to speculate. I guess, when it all comes down to it, monkey see, monkey do, at least to some extent.

I also mentioned a couple times, I think, that this story really demonstrates the range you command as a writer, since it has so many different elements, from big action pieces to quiet character moments to pure worldbuilding, drama, and humor. It's definitely a different kind of story than OoS or what Worldslayers is shaping up to be, and that's pretty cool. You are able to work with a lot of different ideas, and although some elements appear in pretty much all your works (dem horrifying involuntary transformations, not that I'm complaining), you aren't at all limited to any particular kind of story. I love seeing people experiment and explore different kinds of stories rather than sticking to a single formula or way of storytelling.

This is another angle I don't think I've ever actually seen things from. I've actually long thought I was hells of limited wrt what I do writing-wise. Perspective again, I suppose. I think I needed it.

I think that your stories would be great candidates for their own wiki, if you had any interest in creating one. Of course it would give you a place to put information about your fakemon, but it would also let you kind of collect info on the world and the characters all in one place, which I think might be helpful for readers. I definitely came across multiple places where I thought I remembered something but wasn't sure if it was in OoS or Worldslayers or a side one-shot or if I'd just made it up entirely, and it would have been nice to have some way to reference that sort of thing without having to trawl multiple fic threads.

The thought's actually never crossed my mind up until now. :o I suppose I could cobble together something like that someday, though I'm not altogether certain what all that'd entail. Admittedly I'm still pretty illiterate when it comes to these things, heh.

I think I said it before, but I definitely can't say it enough: huge congratulations on finishing this 'fic and also managing to continue on with The Worldslayers. It was so awesome to see you return with a final draft after working on this for so many years, and I hope that you find joy in your writing for many years to come. This story is definitely something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing it, and all your other stories, with us.

I tihnk to this day that "you should be proud of this" is still one of THE single most heartwarming comments someone can get on a fic. ;w;

Thanks lots for the read 'n' reply! :D