• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Easiest/Hardest Gym Leader.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Title says it all realy..What gym leader did you find to be the easiest & which did you find the most challenging.

Format:

Easiest:
(Comment Optional)

Hardest:
(Comment Optional)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Picks :)

Easiest: Wulfric x/y
I found this guy to be incredably easy as ice is a horrible defensive type & it's easly swept with Lucario a pokemon the story gives you regardless of your starter.

Hardest: Drayden B2/W2
Honestly if I haden't had genesect in my team at the time he would have swept my entire team with that Haxorus

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Brock is hands down the easiest. Even if you do pick Charmander a Butterfree can easily use psychic on the Onix and Geodude.

Butterfree isn't a very good Pokémon overall, but thankfully those two have low special defense stats.

As for hardest, if Blue in Pokémon Gold counts, that's who I'm going with. (I personally think he shouldn't count as he is post-game.)

If not, I think I'm going with Norman. If none of your Pokémon have protect the two Slaking he owns can be a pain to deal with.

Easiest: Ramos X/Y
The game lets you use Charizard, Aerodactyl and Talonflame, all of which are immune to Gogoat's Bulldoze and are resistant to anything with a grass typing.

Hardest: Drayden B/B2/W2
2-3X Dragondances+Dragon Claw=Good luck

Tonguetyd

Don't know about the easiest because the first gyms are always extremely pathetic.

But the hardest is hands down the Blue rematch from Heart Gold and Soul Silver. He has Tyranitar on his team. It's Tyranitar. What can I say?
If that doesn't count, Clair was rather annoying; Her Dragonairs constantly use Thunder Wave and Kingdra is just a pain. In the remakes, of course. The original had Hyper Beam.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Easiest:
Anything from Kanto was an utter joke.
I'll go with Brock though because rofl Caterpie sweep.

Hardest:
Anything Sinnoh.
I'll go with Candice though because that Snow Warning and because the only thing that can succesfully counter her tends to be my Empoleon.

ebevan91

Easiest:
Anything from Kanto was an utter joke.
I'll go with Brock though because rofl Caterpie sweep.

Hardest:
Anything Sinnoh.
I'll go with Candice though because that Snow Warning and because the only thing that can succesfully counter her tends to be my Empoleon.

The Sinnoh gyms and E4/Champion were definitely hard. Probably the hardest of them all. That Volkner man... it took me like 6 tries to beat him the first time.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Well here are the gym leaders I found easy/hard from each region:

Easiest

Kanto: Brock/Giovanni
Johto: Falkner
Hoenn: Brawly
Sinnoh: Volkner
Unova: Brycen
Kalos: Wulfric

Hardest

Kanto: N/A
Johto: Clair
Hoenn: Norman
Sinnoh: Fantina
Unova: Clay
Kalos: Clemont

Overall:

Easiest: Brock/Giovanni
Hardest: Clair

Even then, any gym leader isn't that hard to beat at all imo.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Volkner was way too easy for me but only because I had an over leveled Tortetta. (That was the only Pokemon on my team for the whole game)

Burgh was the hardest. I had Flying and Fire types and I still managed to lose. Out of Black and white and Black and white 2 the guy beat me around 40 times in total thanks to his Leavanny.

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
Easiest was Roxanne. At least Brock gave me a semi hard time with the fire starter (Charmeleon with Metal Claw still takes a bit of a beating.). Due to the types of the Hoenn starters and their evolutions, Roxanne's a wimp.

Hardest has to be Fantina from Diamond and Pearl. She's still a bit of a challenge in plat, but she's 10x worse in D/P.

Burgh was the hardest. I had Flying and Fire types and I still managed to lose. Out of Black and white and Black and white 2 the guy beat me around 40 times in total thanks to his Leavanny.

Burgh? BURGH? What levels were your team members? I always beat him easy-peasy :U.

ShinyLord

Shiny Hunter
Easiest:
Brock: Due to the low special defense stat of both his Pokémon, its not hard to find a half way decent special attacker to fight him with.

Hardest:
Whitney: That Miltank...it.just.doesnt.die!! Milk drink + attract + roll out + stupid super potions. Every time I've ever battled Whitney, because she's still an early Gym leader, I've always had problems with that damn Miltank

I'm not sure which singlke gym I've ever found the easiest, but the hardest gyms to me had to have been Whitney in Soulsilver (Don' t think I don't see you there, Miltank!), and, a bit more recently, Lenora, to be honest. (Watchog, I'm looking in your direction!)

Enjolras

Master of the House
Easiest:
Kanto: Blazed through Surge with a Diglett and Geodude.
Johto: Falkner is a joke, even with Chikorita.
Hoenn: Wattson went down in 4 hits with Geodude.
Sinnoh: Volkner was pretty underwhelming.
Unova: Cilan/Cress/Chili because of the monkeys.
Kalos: My Pokemon were extremely overleveled by the time we reached Grant.
Hardest:
Kanto: Misty and Recover.
Johto: I had to rebattle Morty and Jasmine several times.
Hoenn: Norman's Slakings destroyed me.
Sinnoh: Fantina from Platinum. Ghost types, man...
Unova: Probably Iris/Drayden.
Kalos: Valerie and the Fairy type.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Am I the only person who NEVER had a problem with Witheny's Miltank?

In fact I don't recall a single time I had a problem with any gym leader period.

ECM

Easiest: Falkner
By the time I fight him, I'm always way over his level.

Hardest: Whitney
Specifically, that Miltank. I hate that thing. Although I think that battle is what made me want to use a Miltank.

Funny enough, they're both early Johto Gym Leaders. I never really have any problems with Clair or Drayden because I usually have an ice type by the time I fight them. Kingdra is tough, but I never recall losing to it except the first time I ever challenged her back when I was like 10.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I can't really decide on an easiest one, since a lot of them are a cake walk, but Misty is no doubt my hardest. That Starmie defeated me so often as a kid. Clair and her Kingdra take second place.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Easiest List.
Kanto: Giovanni. His Team is laughable with strong weaknesses to Water, Grass, Psychic, Fighting, and Ground types.
Johto: Jasmine. Fire Pokemon dominate this Gym. It's a pushover.
Hoenn: Wallace. He was just never a challenge. How did he make it as a Champion?
Sinnoh: Volkner. By the time I reach Volkner I'm always more then ready.
Unova: Burgh. It was a fun Gym but also easy.
Kalos: Wulfric. For the same reasons as Volkner.

Hardest List.
Kanto: Sabrina and Erika. Sabrina's Alakazam was brutal back in the day and so was Erika's Vileplume and Victreebel. There's a trick you can use on both girls and they'll never hurt you. Have another Psychic Pokemon and Alakazam will spam Teleport. Have a poison type and all Erika's will use Poisonpowder. But without that little glitch, both are hard for me.
Johto: Clair. Blasted Kingdra and it's Dragon Pulse always scoring a critical hit on me. Clair got seriously tough during HGSS. Back in GS Cdays I'd say Whitney, but now it's Clair.
Hoenn: Flannery. Flannery has that Torkoal who spams Attract and has Body Slam and Overheat. Both are killers. I always seem to have male Pokemon against her DX
Sinnoh: Fantina. Fantina became really hard in Platinum version when she became the 3rd Gym Leader. Mismagius can ruin a team.
Unova: Clay. It was either him or Iris. I think Clay gave me more problems with that Excadrill of his. I also underestimated him and it cost me.
Kalos: None of them are tough. I suppose I could say Viola. She's at least smart enough to have Surskit use Water Sport to weaken Fire Pokemon.

That's my list.

HMSSparky

Team Rocket Trainee
I'll do this by region.

Easiest

Kanto: Misty. I can't exactly explain why, she was just very easy to beat.
Johto: Whitney. Her Clefairy and my Togepi had a metronome battle, it had supersonic, I had thunder. I used my Pidgeot against her Miltank and she didn't use rollout at all, only spammed attract and my Pidgeot was female.
Hoenn: Roxanne, but that's a given really.
Sinnoh: Maylene. A combination of a Staravia and Monferno wrecks her completely.
Unova: N/A
Kalos: Ramos. He has never done a single bit of damage to me in all five of my playthroughs.

Hardest

Kanto: N/A
Johto: Chuck. One of the tensest battles I had to do and I barely scraped a win and I only had one Pokemon left by the end of it.
Hoenn: Norman. He's the reason I've put off playing my copy of Ruby for a while.
Sinnoh: Fantina. Part of the reason why she is kind of one of my favourites from Sinnoh because at that point I usually won't have an effective counter so it all comes down to me using the right moves and healing at that right time.
Unova: N/A
Kalos: Probably Korrina, she destroyed my team on my first playthrough because of her Hawlucha but there's also Valerie mainly due to me not having a good knowledge of dealing with fairy types yet.

Overall, I'd say the easiest is Whitney and the hardest is Fantina. A lot of these are sort of down to me making stupid mistakes and the battle being harder than it should be.